iATKOS is released (updated)

pkmoazzam

295 posts in this topic

the same question: When will AMD Version be released ?

Oh the amd release, its gonna be released when he starts seeding it lol. As demonstrated by the intel release, set release dates are absurd, people seem to forget that these releases are designed by one or two people, rather than large corporations. So your just better off modifying a current distro and ignoring iatkos till the release is literally plastered all over the forum, since consciously waiting is annoying as hell.

I just started getting this. Already got leopard running on my c700 using pc_efi 8.0 and it was not all that hard.

Wanted to give this a go as it might have some power mgmt and audio fixes that I either cant find or dont know where to look for.

Everyone on the torrent is still stuck at 28.6 and there is a seeder although I cant see them. The reason for this is because the swarm is to large (2047 people GOOD LORD ive never seen a torrent that large before). So if thats the case you wont see the seeder but some of the leachers are connected to him and as they get updated so do you, but slowly. Use azurus tells you everything.

As for the release going to rapid share or newsgroups. Theres one reason why people pick torrents. Thats because of MASS distribution. On a newsgroup the links can die after to many downloads. On rapidshare not everyone pays for there BS accounts and you have to wait 24hrs to download the next file, plus they can get reported. TAKES FOREVER to download 1 file every 24hrs. I wont pay for there BS service.

Torrents allow for a MUCH larger mass distribution and they are somewhat secure with blocklister and other tools and much more secure then rapidshare or any newsgroup. Both of those only need 1 dumb ass to get taken down. Try that with a torrent GOOD LUCK.

So torrents rain supreme. I love them there the NEW napster but for EVERTHING..

HAcK on people

If your usenet links are dying in a few days learn to pony up some funds and get a real provider. Usenet is the way to go with initial releases. Chances are someone would of taken their usenet download and plastered all over the torrent sites. Those looking to boost ratios would of been more than glad to host the torrent to others. Usenet is the way to go...

The torrent poster has set the "Initial Seeding" flag; which serves no real purpose and really slows down the transfer...

Wrong. It does serve a purpose. It ensures that people do not get to 100% and then drop off the torrent without seeding.

Well spoken 00Diabolic :) ! We (thousand of people) have waited patiently for so long for the iAtkos release that those couple of days extra to burn the iso is peanuts. Maybe it will be complete at christmas evening. That's what I call a real x-mass present!

Cheers, Srgdr

people are going to leave the seed anyways because they will be partitioning and reinstalling, we need newsgroups~!

That's true. But a lot of people will leave it on for some time before they install it. Atleast I always do that....get a snack...burn a DVD.....backup my system and clean it up and only after a few hours I'll leave the seed.

Wrong. It does serve a purpose. It ensures that people do not get to 100% and then drop off the torrent without seeding.

Then why not set torrent for "regular" seeding untill someone gets ~95% then drop offline for 3 hours at that point?

Would speed up the transfer process a lot. Does any torrent client allow the original poster/seeder to "quarantine" (temporarily) the final 5% of the torrent data?

Then why not set torrent for "regular" seeding untill someone gets ~98% then drop offline for 3 hours at that point?

Would speed up the transfer process a lot. Does any torrent client allow the original poster/seeder to "quarantine" (temporarily) the final 2% of the torrent data?

Because it is not guaranteed that if one peer gets to 98% that the torrent cannot be completed by the other peers. It is quite possible that the other 2% of the torrent can be completed by taking pieces from the other two thousand peers. If you use 'Initial Seeding' or 'Super-Seeding', you can guarantee with a lot of peers and one slow seeder that everyone will receive the same pieces, as long as the amount of time to upload missing pieces by the seeder does not exceed the amount of time it takes to propogate to the other peers.

If 'Initial Seeding' were not enabled with the torrent, it is possible for some peers to receive much more of the torrent than others, which results in the hit-n-runs.

ppl saying usenet would be better. think geniuses he would have to upload it there as well. it wouldnt just teleport to usenet, he probably just has slow upload speeds and that why everyone is at the same percentage. it is only going to spread as fast as the initial seeder. just wait, once 1 person completes is and more people get it then it will go faster.

Um 4 seeders 2137(peers) 0 DL and 0 UL 30.5% complete, 1 question, why so slow?

People were talking about it earlier in the thread, they dont want people with the faster connections to download the whole torrent and log off without doing there fair share of seeding, so from what i understand he is sharing the torrent segments sequentially, rather that sharing random segments with the swarm, in effect we all have the same approximate amount complete.