Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

Even About My Mac works perfectly, though I'd like to kill the iATKOS logo there; if anyone knows how to change that, I'd be much obliged. :D

It can be done! Just have to change one file, I just don't know of an easy way to do it.

aboutzo7.th.png

1) Go to /System/Library/CoreServices

2) Drag loginwindow to desktop

3) Right click (one on desktop) and hit "Show Package Contents"

4) Open Contents

5) Open Resources

6) Rename MacOSX.tif to MacOSX.bac

7) Drag whetever you are going to replace original tif with and name MacOSX.tif

8) Close Finder window

9) Open Terminal

10) sudo -s

11) enter password

12) rm -R System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app

13) exit and close terminal

14) drag loginwindow from desktop to /System/Library/CoreServices

15) Authenticate

16) Repair Permissions in Disk Utility

17) Reboot

I know it looks like a lot, but it's only about 5 min.

Enjoy

Kenny

Hey Kenny,

I've been watching this thread for 2 months now, and i figured id jump in to give you a hand.

I have this laptop running an iatkos install with efi, vanilla, and running 10.5.2.

For the battery meter loss, I used this Modified Power Management Bundle to get it back.

Get it, then go to your /System/Library/SystemConfiguration folder

Copy the new bundle into the /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/ folder

Reboot

Afterwards, make sure you enable to show meter in Energy Saver Preferences.

I hope it works for you, let me know!

-Scott

PowerManagement_137_1.bundle.tar

Kenny: There is an easier way; just show the contents of loginwindow.app where it is and replace the MacOSX.tif file right there. It asks you to authenticate and then replace. That fixed it for me. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Scott: That worked like a charm for me! I have my battery indicator back!

Now, if someone can just figure out how to get the headphone and mic jacks to work... ;)

Kenny: There is an easier way; just show the contents of loginwindow.app where it is and replace the MacOSX.tif file right there. It asks you to authenticate and then replace. That fixed it for me. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Scott: That worked like a charm for me! I have my battery indicator back!

Now, if someone can just figure out how to get the headphone and mic jacks to work... ;)

Excellent! Glad to see its working well.

Honestly, this laptop works VERY well with Leopard. We are really getting close to perfection.

Hey Kenny,I've been watching this thread for 2 months now, and i figured id jump in to give you a hand.I have this laptop running an iatkos install with efi, vanilla, and running 10.5.2.For the battery meter loss, I used this Modified Power Management Bundle to get it back.Get it, then go to your /System/Library/SystemConfiguration folderCopy the new bundle into the /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/ folderRebootAfterwards, make sure you enable to show meter in Energy Saver Preferences.I hope it works for you, let me know!-Scott
Very nice! Worked like a dream!ThankxKenny
For some reason it would not allow me to change it in the original location. Happy it worked for you with less work :D Now on to the audio jacks.Kenny

Using that powermanagement bundle only works if I revert my ACPI and SMBIOS. This cools the system back down. Battery meter is working. I need to test the ps2 more. Who'se working on the Graphics update? -v

What do you still need to test on the PS2? Are you still attempting to get the trackpad settings? Or is there another issue present?

Using the one from your kext pack (which I am still using) gives me no issues 99.9% of the time. However, I noticed that when you have an external USB drive connected,and you are writing to it or reading directly from it, the trackpad severely lags and almost becomes unusable at times (which is very odd). Have you noticed anything like that?

As far as the graphics update goes, I keep hearing mentions of kext removals, however I have yet to actaully see the process involved. Have you tried to Copy over a new Natit.kext yet? That may be able to fix something. Also, I wonder if the graphics update reinstalls the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, which is reported to cause issues with x3100.

Take a look in your Extensions and check to see I guess.

Yeah, I'm hoping to get rid of the 7777777. Other keys repeat also at times. It drives me crazy. I just finished tweaking that PS2Nub.kext. I just added the ACPI version number to the info plist. I need to put in some working time to see if it's gonna stay nice. I have not seen this reported on any other laptop.

I have put the trackpad to rest. It's too much work. I'll wait until someone posts a nice ALPS driver.

On the graphics update: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87120 Might try these steps, minus the installing of the old natit. I'm a little chicken to try it, though. We have full QE now, afterall.

Using the one from your kext pack (which I am still using) gives me no issues 99.9% of the time. However, I noticed that when you have an external USB drive connected,and you are writing to it or reading directly from it, the trackpad severely lags and almost becomes unusable at times (which is very odd). Have you noticed anything like that?

I'll go with 99.99% working, good enough I dont see a problem.

As far as the graphics update goes, I keep hearing mentions of kext removals, however I have yet to actaully see the process involved. Have you tried to Copy over a new Natit.kext yet? That may be able to fix something. Also, I wonder if the graphics update reinstalls the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, which is reported to cause issues with x3100.

Take a look in your Extensions and check to see I guess.

I'll go with 99.99% working trackpad, good enough I dont see a problem.

The graphics update does include AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, along with new:

AppleIntelGMAX3100x x = kext, plunin, bundle

the upgrade worked fine on Dell 4600 so the rest of the pkg looks good

L8er

Kenny

Thanks for the battery icon. A lot of help there very nice.

As for the keyboard and trackpad. I have Vanillas latest running and its pretty good the repeating 7 {censored} happens randomly for me. I also do not notice any trackpad slowdown with USB devices at all. Hopefully we can get a better trackpad/keyboard driver that gets rid of the random junk but this is good for now.

Still looking for the audio jack fix also.

I'm actually selling my c700 and getting this lenovo which is so close in specs its practically the HP branded differently and has express card and firewire more ram bays which is what i want BAD.

If anyone cares to look at the lenovo 3000 N Series N200 (0769AVU) <-- VERY simular to the c700 series in specs except has some extra goodies which is why I'm making the upgrade.. Think Ill have trouble if I get it? Has broadcom wifi also called lenovo wifi. Anyone have any info on this model please share? Here is the link on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834146372

Let me know what you think of it. I should have it in a few days. The entire specs are here:

http://www.compsource.com/pn/0769AVU/Lenovo_1223/

I'll go with 99.99% working trackpad, good enough I dont see a problem.The graphics update does include AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, along with new:AppleIntelGMAX3100x x = kext, plunin, bundlethe upgrade worked fine on Dell 4600 so the rest of the pkg looks goodL8erKenny
Ah, then that may be the cause of Vanilla's issues with inconsistent booting.Before I used iAtkos, I installed Brazilmac and I couldn't get it to boot after install until I removed AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, so from experience I know that in at least some instances that kext may cause some issues for us.The graphics update worked flawlessly for my desktop as well, so there can't be anything else besides that kext causing the issues. The Natit.kext should still be fine too. Vanilla, backup the kext, and try removing it.It's funny, I have yet to have the random 7777777 issue, while you guys seem to all have at some point. Hopefully we can get it solved eventually.
I'm actually selling my c700 and getting this lenovo which is so close in specs its practically the HP branded differently and has express card and firewire more ram bays which is what i want BAD. If anyone cares to look at the lenovo 3000 N Series N200 (0769AVU) <-- VERY simular to the c700 series in specs except has some extra goodies which is why I'm making the upgrade.. Think Ill have trouble if I get it? Has broadcom wifi also called lenovo wifi. Anyone have any info on this model please share? Here is the link on newegg:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834146372Let me know what you think of it. I should have it in a few days. The entire specs are here: http://www.compsource.com/pn/0769AVU/Lenovo_1223/
Those specs really are nearly identical, and from the looks of it, I don't see any real issues. The only thing I may be worried about is the wireless, although being that its a broadcom chipset, I'm sure you can enable it eventually if its not already out of the box.Another thing here is the sound. I'm not too sure what codecs are used, but I guess you'll be finding out soon enough! Let us know how it all works out.Regardless, the firewire and extra RAM makes for more than a worthy upgrade. Good Luck with it.

Don't do the graphics update. I had to remove all the kexts it added to get it to boot to a readable screen again.

Ah that sucks.

Well, on a good note, at least we aren't really missing on on anything, and it's not a required update.

I'll be getting a new hard drive for this laptop in a week or two, so after i clone this install over, i'll do some experimenting of my own I suppose.

I did the Graphics Update and I didn't have to remove any kexts. The only issue is that it screws up every 3 boots or so, but a quick restart fixes it. I don't think it really updated anything related to the C714NR's X3100 graphics though. I just hate having the Software Update pop up saying I need to update. lol

I haven't had any major issues with the optical drive so far. I have to burn DVD-Rs (I use Toast 8) and DVD-RWs (using BurnAgain DVD) weekly and daily, respectively. The only issue I've had on that front is that I can't burn directly from Finder; I haven't tried iTunes though. Toast and BurnAgain work like a charm for me.

Oh, and to throw in my experience with the odd 77777 thing: I haven't run into that at all. The trackpad has always worked fine for me too. It's never really run hot for me either. My only problem is the mic/headphone jacks not working, but we've all had that issue.

In the last 24 hours I have gone from a stock Vista Machine to a total reformat and am now Tribooting OSX, XP, and Ubuntu 7.10 through GRUB. Thank you everyone for all your help. As far as adding Kexts go what is necessary to sucessfully get 10.5.2 running. I started with an iATKOS 1.0r2 disc and installed using the recommended settings. My partition for OSX is 50gb, XP 50 gb and Linux like 12. Any recommendations at all would be greatly appreciated. You guys rock. This scene has come a long way from my sleepless nights of trying to get 10.4.6 running on my old dell laptop.

Jason

In the last 24 hours I have gone from a stock Vista Machine to a total reformat and am now Tribooting OSX, XP, and Ubuntu 7.10 through GRUB. Thank you everyone for all your help. As far as adding Kexts go what is necessary to sucessfully get 10.5.2 running. I started with an iATKOS 1.0r2 disc and installed using the recommended settings. My partition for OSX is 50gb, XP 50 gb and Linux like 12. Any recommendations at all would be greatly appreciated. You guys rock. This scene has come a long way from my sleepless nights of trying to get 10.4.6 running on my old dell laptop.

Jason

Welcome aboard.

For me, I followed these steps:

1. Installed iAtkos, with EFI/Vanilla

2. Installed the Kalyway Combo Update

3. Rebooted and repaired Permissions

4. Installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 kernel update (Vanilla)

5. Rebooted and repaired permissions.

6. Use the "a" pack of kexts that Vanilla posted a few pages back. (Without them, the laptop runs WAY too hot for its own good.

7. Restarted and repaired permissions (just for fun...)

8. Copied over the PowerManagement bundle I posted on the last page (with instructions) in order to get the battery meter working again.

9. Restart and repair permissions one last time.

Done!

As you can read above, the graphics pack caused this laptop to fail on boot here and there, so I would avoid that for npw.

You have the same triple boot as me actually. Nice eh? A refreshing difference from the resource monster that is Vista...

Thanks for the explicit instructions. I have noticed the laptop running hot. I think I may have made a mistake choosing not to install the thermal kexts. It seems the fan throttles between fully on and fully off instead of giving that nice increase in condcution all the time. I am going to install the Kalyway update after tonight. As far as updating to that "A" pack of kexts what are the specific commands I need to use? Is my keyboard mouse support going to become broken? Is the Kalyway install safer than the official apple install. Thank you all for all of your help.

Jason

I updated my zip file with the new ps2 nub and the new power bundle.

http://homepage.mac.com/bjeecw/a.zip

-v

Nice, looks good. What change was made in the PS2Nub? I'm still using the one from your old bundle.

Just Wondering.

This PS2 is recompiled for 10.5.2 and I've edited it to work with the old ACPI we are using. -v

Oh ok, will update it later tonight then.

Have you tried the new mac.nub AppleSMBIOS yet?

If so, are you getting the correct display in the system profiler?

Alright. I have reinstalled 3 times today with the final time actually getting 10.5.2 and the "a" set of kexts. I am still getting random lockups and kernel panics quite frequency both in safe mode and regular mode. What am I doing wrong? Is this common? What applications does everyone run?

Jason

Hey, has anyone gotten the S-Video port to work? I just tried to hook up with my TV out of curiosity and couldn't get it to work. Granted, with no audio-out, using FrontRow with the TV isn't really feasible (without a USB audio adapter; something I am lacking), but once we get that figured out, I'd like the option.

Also, I installed the kexts in the new A Pack and nothing changed for me. I don't have any trackpad options (something I didn't even realize was missing until reading these posts anyway, so no biggie), and my temperature actually went up a couple of degrees. Just thought I'd toss that out there. :angry2: