Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

If that's the version 2 iatkos dvd, then you must have a dud burn. Try again.

I think I may have fixed the keyboard glitch. This might sound wierd, but go into Keyboard prefs and turn of delay until repeat. Then turn down the repeat rate. I have had no more 7777777777's!

I can't get dvd booting, It holds at:

Jan 26 12:23:32 localhost kextd[47]: can't add repository (not a directory).

Resetting IOCatalogue.

Jan 26 12:23:32 localhost kextd[47]: root filesystem is read-only; skipping kernel link data generation

Jan 26 12:23:57 localhost DirectoryService[51]: Launched version 5.0 (v514)

_

So What's this!!, I've tried cpus=1 -f -v -x and nothing changes, well, only for the -v but it freezes, I also tried rd=disk0s2, platform=X86PC, also the APCI option, but nothing, I used Gparted to flag the partition in BOOT, I tried enablig and disabling native sata mode on my bios, but anything helps, I've read many people installed iatkos successfully on this laptop. I thought maybe updating the BIOS but I cannot find where downloading the update.

Used GParted with three partitions (FAT32), Installed XP, but simply iATKOS DVD desn't run, it stops and no reboot, only it holds. HELP PLEASE!!

What distro. are you using? The only time I had a like problem on this laptop was with a Toh disk of Leopard.

iATKOS and Kelyway both install fine and I think iATKOS is a batter match for this machine.

I am understanding that you never get to the install portion of the boot, right?

It should work with "BOOT: (nothing-just hit enter)"

BTW, you are installing on a c7xx compaq? If not then on what?

If anyone is dual booting this laptop could they please do me a favor from their windows install. Please run Unknown Device Identifier Linky and post your full detailed device list here. I'm going to do the same thing on the Compaq C751NR (which is what is the current iteration of this laptop supposedly) so people have a good comparison list and we can see if the newest model is the same, and will run Leopard as well, if not better (here's hoping for sleep support!) Thank you in advance!

If anyone is dual booting this laptop could they please do me a favor from their windows install. Please run Unknown Device Identifier Linky and post your full detailed device list here. I'm going to do the same thing on the Compaq C751NR (which is what is the current iteration of this laptop supposedly) so people have a good comparison list and we can see if the newest model is the same, and will run Leopard as well, if not better (here's hoping for sleep support!) Thank you in advance!

The little brother, C712NR:

Here is the device list from the C751NR, Key Differences!

C712NR WiFi = Broadcom

C751NR WiFi = Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter

Other then that it looks pretty similar, the video looks identical, audio looks almost the same. We'll see how it works here soon, but heres the list for those that want something to go off of.

Devices.txt

POAST STREAK!

Taking a closer look at the detailed chipset list for the C751NR, it would appear it has a non compatible sound card (at least what I read on the wiki for the Dell Vostro 1500) it's the following chipset, someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is what it's listed as:

High Definition Audio Controller

Conexant Systems

Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller

Outstanding issues remain with this machine. The PS2 driver is unstable. I've tried the new build for Leopard, and several others, the caps lock will get not disengage at times, keys will repeat without stopping. Not sure what to try next on this. I use the keyboard for quite a lot of work, so this is at the top of my list.

Another issue: the DVD drive. Slow to load. Sometimes it doesn't load. Slow burn speed. Sometimes it won't burn. Any experiments on this front? -v

Sad to say that after all this time tinkering in this thread, I decided on a different laptop, Dell is having a big sale on the Vostro series. Vostro 1500, 2 GB RAM, Core2, 8400M graphics, 160 GB HDD and Bluetooth for 619 free shipping and handling. Plus I can get it NIB w/ Warraty and not buy it on Ebay. Gonna have to pass this guy up.

Hi guys,

More experimenting with this Compaq. I've made a breakthrough on the keyboard driver! It works flawlessly now! I've made a new kext pack for this machine and I've put it on my iDisk at http://homepage.mac.com/bjeecw/a.zip

This is based on iatkos r.2 as a starting point. You'll need to select all vanilla/efi, along with the intel graphics in the installer. NOTHING ELSE. I've tweaked the version numbers of these kexts to match and tested everything out. Your machine will run cool and your keyboard will be reliable.

I can't take any credit for any of this. Smart guys and gals on this board helped me.

Trackpad is recognized as mouse. I gave up on the trackpad driver. I had it tweaked once, but it took forever to get working and then I lost my install, and so I just bought a little wireless notebook mouse. I also use a usb headset to get my headphone/mic action.

Unzip this folder to your root folder and then do in terminal this for all three kexts:

~sudo -s

~ rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/nameofkext.kext

~ cp -R /a/nameofkext.kext /System/Library/Extensions/nameofkext.kext

~ chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/nameofkext.kext

~ chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/nameofkext.kext

~ diskutil repairPermissions /

Restart

Yo V,

Are you getting speedstep working with your setup? I don't think I do. So far I have had the best results all around with non-vanilla kernel: speedstep, temps, trackpad, no crashes or hangups. Up to this point, no problems with any updates, but what will the future hold?

No luck yet on the mic, and audio i/o jacks.........I'm thinking I'm not smart enough to know where to adjust yet......but hay, @4 week into osx for the first time, I'm happy with the learning curve.

Thank you for all the work you have done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenny P

I feel dumb... I figured out that my keyboard problems were all related to running Vmware fusion. If the program is running, it will eventually mess up the key input and then it will shut down the keyboard all together. When the prog is not running, I have no problems.

Hey, Kenny, I tried a non-efi, non-vanilla install. I got less battery time and higher temps! I can't figure out why, but speedstep is no help on this machine. If you launch the little speedstep app and reboot, you'll see it working in the menu bar. It cycles the processor speed up and down as you work. But the machine runs hotter than it does on vanilla install. so...not sure why you'd go that way. -v

Hey, Kenny, I tried a non-efi, non-vanilla install. I got less battery time and higher temps! I can't figure out why, but speedstep is no help on this machine. If you launch the little speedstep app and reboot, you'll see it working in the menu bar. It cycles the processor speed up and down as you work. But the machine runs hotter than it does on vanilla install. so...not sure why you'd go that way. -v

Koolzzzz, that's what I was wondering about. The way it is now (non-efi, non-vanilla) everything works great, but I know there had to be some advantages going vanilla. Good chance I'll do a reinstall.

Thanks Kenny

Just updated to 10.5.2 using the tutorial on the front page. Also installed the graphics update. Everything works as before...except no keyboard and mouse!!!!!!Standby for the fix on that! -vokay, easy fix, just remove the new ACPI and replace it with the one from my zip file using the instructions included. Running temps are perfect. Sleep still doesn't quite wake up. Sound works fine. Graphics are good. Disc works. It works great all around! -v

uhh... Don't install the graphics update. It works...but not every time I boot. I don't know why. Everything works fine without it. -v

Good to know....

BTW, when you say "tutorial on the front page", to be sure I understand. This is where?

As per your advice, I have changed over to Vanilla/EFI/your "A.zip" and all is well

U D man -V

Thankx Kenny

Have you seen the badge Hexidecimal made? I prints out sweet! http://forum.insanelymac.com/uploads/month...64863_thumb.png

Update using Kaly's combo to 10.5.2 worked great.

First boot loaded most of the way then self re-booted

Second boot, everything works fine, a little slower to boot (I thing it gets faster each time)

Changes: Time Machine icon on bar

No battery meter on bar ;) not good

Vanilla, any word on the graphics update? Waiting on your masterfull advice

Update using Kaly's combo to 10.5.2 worked great.

First boot loaded most of the way then self re-booted

Second boot, everything works fine, a little slower to boot (I thing it gets faster each time)

Changes: Time Machine icon on bar

No battery meter on bar :angel: not good

Vanilla, any word on the graphics update? Waiting on your masterfull advice

I just did the kalyway 10.5.2 on my c712NR and i also lost the battery icon. Other then that it works fine. I would like to know if anyone has an update for fix for the battery icon anywhere?

Vanilla your little update pack for the c700 does it do anything for the trackpad? I was confused by what it offered besides better keyboard support which i definitely like since my keyboard throws a random 7 every once in a while. Does it improve the trackpad at all? What else does it do? Will this mess with 10.5.2? Or is it ok to use with that?

Does anyone have a kext which allows u to use the headphone/mic jacks. There has to be someone out there who has gotten this to work the codec on this machine is really common.

Also what do you guys think of the lenovo 3000 N Series N200(0769AVU) <-- this model is VERY simular to the c700 series in specs.. Except has firewire and a few other goodies. Think Ill have trouble if I get it? Has broadcom wifi also called lenovo wifi. Anyone have any info on this model please share? Here is the link on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834146372

Glad somebody is still working on this machine. The kexts in my zip file work fine with 10.5.2. But I think the PS2.nub is now not helpful with 10.5.2. Might as well skip it. I have a lot of experimenting to do on the graphics update. Others have said just remove two graphics kexts and it works. I have not tried it yet. What's strange is that it does work, but not on every boot. I don't get it. Netkas has a new smbios file. This works fine on our machine. Might as well use it instead of my old one. Newer ACPI's seem to break PS2 for us though. -v

I'm runnung iATKOS v1.0i on my C714NR with no problems. I only had to do the graphics kext changeout to get it running. I'm also looking for headphone/mic jack kexts, so if anyone figures that out, be sure to post 'em! The built in speakers kinda blow, though that's pretty common for lappy speakers as there's no subwoofer for 'em. lol

I am having issues upgrading to 10.5.2 as all the guides I've found have left me with a freezing boot. I'm thinking of switching to KALYWAY using Time Machine (if that works) so I can upgrade.

Glad to see there's more Presario Hackinoshers out there!

EDIT:

Wow, I feel dumb. I just ran the KALYWAY 10.5.2 Updater and now I'm updated. That was almost too easy. For the record, when using that, the keyboard and trackpad still work, and I didn't have to reinstall any kexts. Even About My Mac works perfectly, though I'd like to kill the iATKOS logo there; if anyone knows how to change that, I'd be much obliged. ;)

Searching for a fix for the battery meter---

Just so you will know what I have tried that does not work, may be save some time for you.

Retroed to per-update: AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAPIC.kext, IOACPIFamily.kext, IOPCIFamily.

No change, I'll keep lookin

Kenny