Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

hey guys,

anyone have a fix for the alps touchpad with the kalyway 10.5.1 install? mine is just going bonkers when i turn it on.

thanks!

I use the alps beta driver. No problem.

For install - physically turning the button above the pad off and on seemed to work for me. No problems using it on install.

-Daniel

Compaq C712NR finally working.

The little brother to your C714 has caused me great stress, your's worked, mine did not.

After much trial and error, Vista is gone and Leopard purrrrrs like a kitten.

This may help someone else, I sure hope so.

Using GParted live cd I erased the entire hard drive, and formatted FAT32/MBR

This left me with one partition

Using iATKOS_v1.0ir2.iso disk utility I erased the partition

Set it to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Closed disk utility

Pointed to my install partition

Hit custom (this is where the trials came in)

iATKOS (check)

Bootloader

Darwin x86 (check)

Darwin EFI

Darwin EFI Bootloader (no)

Stock AppleACPIPlatform (no)

Stock Kernel (no)

Patches (none)

Drivers

VGA

nVidia (no)

ATI (no)

Intel (check)

APGGart (no)

System (check all)

Network (none)

Sound working........Mic, and headphone jack do not work

USB ports all working

ethernet port working

wireless working (light is pink?)

Speedstep working (800, 1067, 1467mHz)

Battery meeter working

Dual display working

Fan comes on low (temps never above 56c)

As far as I know both Cores working

Will go to sleep, but not fully wake

Thanks to all of you that are much smarter than I.

I do hope this may help someone.

KennyP

An update on my install: I still have not been able to update the bios. Does anyone know how we could update the bios from a usb thumb drive with a dos bios flasher?

I have a working trackpad using the Alps Beta driver and the Leo ACPINub. For the Alps driver, I ignored the FFscroll stuff. It does not work in Leo. Tapping and scrolling are working now and the System Prefs sees the trackpad and offers all controls!

I am going to put the new powermanagement bundle in tonight so i can see remaining time instead of battery %.

-Daniel

Are you guys seeing Remaining Time instead of Battery % with your powermanagement?

I tried the new bundle... no love.

-Daniel

Compaq C712NR finally working.

The little brother to your C714 has caused me great stress, your's worked, mine did not.

After much trial and error, Vista is gone and Leopard purrrrrs like a kitten.

This may help someone else, I sure hope so.

Using GParted live cd I erased the entire hard drive, and formatted FAT32/MBR

This left me with one partition

Using iATKOS_v1.0ir2.iso disk utility I erased the partition

Set it to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Closed disk utility

Pointed to my install partition

Hit custom (this is where the trials came in)

iATKOS (check)

Bootloader

Darwin x86 (check)

Darwin EFI

Darwin EFI Bootloader (no)

Stock AppleACPIPlatform (no)

Stock Kernel (no)

Patches (none)

Drivers

VGA

nVidia (no)

ATI (no)

Intel (check)

APGGart (no)

System (check all)

Network (none)

Sound working........Mic, and headphone jack do not work

USB ports all working

ethernet port working

wireless working (light is pink?)

Speedstep working (800, 1067, 1467mHz)

Battery meeter working

Dual display working

Fan comes on low (temps never above 56c)

As far as I know both Cores working

Will go to sleep, but not fully wake

Thanks to all of you that are much smarter than I.

I do hope this may help someone.

KennyP

Thanks for this post kenny, I'm looking at these laptop intensively because I need something for work and this is in my price range, I have been looking for a post like this.

Okay, the new bios does not help sleep work. My install is similar to Kenny, but I used all native kernel/efi, along with netkas smbios, and remove thermal kexts. after install I replace ACPI and my system runs very cool.

Why use speedstep, when you can go native and have all Apple updates? I'm getting three hours battery life!

Thanks for this post kenny, I'm looking at these laptop intensively because I need something for work and this is in my price range, I have been looking for a post like this.

I was hoping it would help some body. Most everything works great. The airport and sound work fine, runs cool and fast.

Anybody know how we can remap the keyboard to get the "fn+ whetever" keys to work?

This is my first experince with osx so finding some of these tricks is a bit ahead of me right now.

BTW, iWork '08, and MS Office run great also.

KennyP

Hex, see post 44 above for more detail. In sum, I used iatkos r.2. I installed vanilla kernel w/efi option, but NOT the ACPIPlatform. Then I checked netkas smbios, remove thermal kexts, intel x3100. That's it.

After install, I followed the instrux here: http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/showthread.php?t=735

Very simply, I replaced the ACPIPlatform.kext with the one linked there. (I have also posted it above.)

This gives me cool temps, good battery life, and it should not choke on 10.5.2. -v

Is any having keyboard weirdness? Mine sometimes starts adding ZZZZZZZZZZZs into my document. Other keys some times do not register. Anyone?One more thing on the Compaq C714NR: We all agree that this is the ugliest laptop ever designed, right? That sparkly, gray plastic. The horrid fake speaker grills. The decorative rim around the lower case. The purple and pink lights. The stickers on the keys... It's really pretty awful looking!

Is any having keyboard weirdness? Mine sometimes starts adding ZZZZZZZZZZZs into my document. Other keys some times do not register. Anyone?

Just every once and a while....but mine does 7777777777.....

As far as looks.....I don't think its that bad, compared to my old Toshiba, it a real doll!

Does anyone know anything about the C751NR? We have it at work (I work for Geeksquad/BBY) and it looks to be identical to the C712/3/4NR series. I'm contemplating getting one and trying iATKOS1.0r2 and seeing how it works, then returning it if I don't like it.

First of all, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I was able to get leopard dual booting happily with Windows XP SP2 using the information in this thread.

VANILLA: Can you link the alps touchpad beta driver you used? I searched the forums and found one that people are complaining alot about. I want to make sure I'm installing something thats not going to give me major problems.

Also, my macpaq is going into a power saving mode and coming out of it without issue, but I don't think this is the "sleep" mode you guys are refering to. EDIT: Sleep mode is definitely not working.

Finally, has there been any more success on accurate battery usage? I followed vanilla's suggestion, but it still says "calculating..."

I'm now patiently waiting for the next Mac fanboy to ridicule me about owning a PC. Can't wait to ask him how much he paid for his LOL $399 ftw

NOT WORKING:

Touchpad click

Line In/Out

Sleep Mode

Jinx, make sure you put that power kext back in. It could overheat your machine.

On the trackpad, I started with this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=72710

Were you install a new PS2Nub.kext

Then I went here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...5419&st=140

and installed the RC1 of the Alps driver with the instrux given some pages later. Then I tweaked the preferences plist per the instrux a few pages after that!

Huge pain, but I have tapping function and vertical two-finger scroll.

We need a breakthrough on sleep! Jinx, are you saying your screen sleeps or your system? -v

"make sure you put that power kext back in. It could overheat your machine."

Vanilla, I followed your post #44, is that still correct?

I think there are 2 power states that my macpaq goes into:

1. If I'm on battery power and leave my laptop sitting alone for like 10 mins it will go into a standby mode and will return when i press the power button.

2. If I'm on battery power and close the lid on my laptop and then open the lid later, the machine will wake up, but the screen will not come back up.

I'm going to try your trackpad suggestion and see what i'm able to come up with.

I have been doing a good bit of research around the net to learn more about the sleep states and what we can do about them. I'm also watching the HDA project intensely awaiting the fix for our line in/line out issue.

Well.... bad news....

I tried to follow your trackpad instructions and I ended up losing my trackpad and keyboard on my laptop... so i'm dead in the water until i can get a usb keyboard to revert the changes i made.

Gonna have to pick this back up later this weekend. :D

Hyjinx, post 44 is okay. It's the experiment in post 65 that did not work.

You can revert your kexts in Terminal if you boot into the iatkos install disc and run the terminal from there.

The trackpad works fine for me. I'll try to get the direx together in a simpler way if I get a moment today. -v

The trackpad works fine for me. I'll try to get the direx together in a simpler way if I get a moment today. -v

Vanilla, that would be awesome.

UPDATE: I was able to revert changes back and recover my previous no-scroll/no-click touchpad functionality and keyboard support!! I was holding my breath hoping i wouldnt have to reinstall :)

The bad thing about following step by step guides, is that you arent really learning what's going on or what the changes you are making are actually impacting, so if something doesnt work it makes it really tough to troubleshoot.

To get trackpad working, you'll need to go to this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=514463 Click the link to download the file.

use these basic steps to install a kext and remove the kext already in place:

Place the kext to be installed in a folder named "a" in your root folder, then in terminal:

~sudo -s

~ rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/nameofkext.kext

~ cp -R /a/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions/nameofkext.kext

~ chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/nameofkext.kext

~ chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/nameofkext.kext

~ diskutil repairPermissions /

Now go to this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=54090 and download the RC1 file.

Next is the hard part. I've pasted these instrux together from another post, but I took out the parts that do not work in Leo.

Download the RC1 version and extract it to the desktop

Download Onyx if you haven't done already, and make hidden files and folders visible

Open up the folder extracted on the desktop, inside you'll find three folders: Library, System, usr.

Open up Library, inside again three folders.

Preferences, the content inside this folder goes to: OS partition/Library/Preferences/

Go to: OS partition/System/Library/Extensions/, and copy ApplePS2Controller.kext to the desktop.

Right click on ApplePS2Controller.kext and show package contents, open Contents/Plugins/

Now replace the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext inside the plugins folder, with the one from the downloaded /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller/Contents/Plugins/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

Copy the ApplePS2Controller.kext from the desktop to your "a" folder and install it with the terminal commands above.

Now to tweak the plist go to this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=500058

That works! -v