Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

Do i need to setup the FFScrollDaemon?? I finished your guide, I just want to make sure before i restart.IT WORKS!!!!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN VANILLA!!! THANKS MAN!One last question, ummmmmm maybe I'm an idiot and can't figure it out, but 2 finger scrolling is horrible. Like it is not reliable at all. Do you know of a setting i can tweak to actually get it to work well and not just spazz out when I try to use it?

In my experience, two finger scrolling in general (even on real macs) is sketchy. My wife has it enable on her macbook, and I can never make it work like I want, though this guide will come in handy, I want to have tap clicking once I finally order this notebook. Damn you BBY for taking so long to mail out my W2 form...

There are a ton of different setting to mess around with in the plist file. Read that third post for some of the ones to try. The cool thing is that if you look in Sys Prefs, it has trackpad settings available now. I turned scrolling off in mine. Tap is nice though.

Now for sleep! C'mon where do we start with this? -v

First, I thank all of you for sharing your accomplishments as it relates to the C7XXNR MacpaQ. I've been reviewing the thread in preparation for the same task in the next week or so when I, too, can apply some time and attention to the dual boot.

That said, and only reasearching thus far, another guide has some brief discussion on sleep @http://

inihilist.wordpress.com/2008/01/07/easy-installation-guide-dual-boot-windows-vista-and-mac-os-x-105-real-quick-and-fool-proof/

-------------------

Extension "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin" has immediate dependencies on both

com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style. SMC is MacBook and MacBook Pro

System Management Controller.

It is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some charging aspects, trackpad control, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping. Romka January 18, 2008

____

The SMC (System Management Controller) processor is listening to the power button (and governs the sleep light). You hit the power button, and the SMC sends a signal to turn on the main processor, memory, and other hardware. The first thing the Intel processor does is jump to the reset vector and executes low level firmware code (pre EFI environment) to initialize the processor, chipset or basic hardware, and memory. Then you enter EFI's DXE (Device Execution Environment) where higher level firmware code runs concurrently (built-in ROM device drivers, add-on ROM device drivers, and boot devices initialization). The boot chime is played asynchronously early in the DXE, as the sound driver is among the first to run. Romka January 18, 2008

-------------------

At the very least an understanding and breakdown of the sleep operation is explained. Somehow this procedure is failing in the course of operation.

hex, i work at BBY in the computer dept. it's how i was able to get mine. I agree, i think the C751NR is likely very similar... BBY doesnt usually keep doorbuster models around very long because of the 30 day pricematch policies. when a price drops really low they clear them out really fast.

Wow another BBY employee, what store are you at? I agree, I'm a Double Agent for the Geeksquad, I'm thinking of taking my iATKOS1.0ir2 disk into the store on an off day and pulling the shelf display and {censored} with it until I make it work, and then just restoring it.

1408 north of atlanta. if they'll let you do it, i'd say go for it. the install only took me like 40 minutes.... its gonna take you longer to create the restore disks for it. just make sure that if you create the restore disks you fill out an in-store for the restore disk creation and put the restore disks back with the manuals and {censored} for the display.

you're only allowed to create restore disks once with it... so if you create the disks and toss em out, you'll have a pissed off customer to deal with when they realize they cant create the disks themselves.

I'm preaching to the choir though, i'm sure you already know, just reminding......

you're only allowed to create restore disks once with it... so if you create the disks and toss em out, you'll have a pissed off customer to deal with when they realize they cant create the disks themselves.

I'm not certain if I understand what you intend to do with the display model, and this comment is a little off topic, though relevant to C714NR, I guess.

If you're going to experiment with the existing Vista OEM install then at least consider the reactivation tool in this guide beforehand:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=120228

Even then the customer will not be able to burn the recovery discs. But, apparently there may be another way -- according to the other "geek" (as we each simultaneously point at each other, then look in the mirror, and shrug...).

On the C714NR, has anyone established a FAT32 primary partition for XP that has resulted in a sucessful install of XP? I've had no success thus far, only an "Invalid partition table" message after BIOS screen. I'm gonna try relocating the partition.

Why a FAT32 partition for XP? So that XP and Leo can see one another.

On another note, for some peculiar reason after deleting the original OEM partitions on the SATA HDD and then repartitioning with Gparted a consistent "disk error" message was produced after the system files were initially loaded from the CD, after POST; FAT32 or NTFS made no difference. NO boot to setup, and neither would a clean Vista Anytime Upgrade DVD after the system files were loaded. Same error message.

I tried every combination: with/without native support; XPsp1 w/ USB Floppy utility; XPsp2 slipped; and many other XP iterations that must have half-lifed the CD drive.

I was suspicious that the HDD was taking a dump because a disk utility had suggested some bad sectors on the brand new HDD (wouldn't have been the first).

I decided to start all over:

> 1) reinstalled Vista OEM via recovery discs, so the HDD was fine;

> 2) shrunk the OEM Vista partition;

> 3) reloaded XP (NTFS) to successful install;

> 4) established dual boot w/ 3) partitions: OEM Vista/XP/OEM Vistal Restoral;

> 5) added Paragon to XP;

> 6) knocked out the OEM restoral partition & the OEM Vista OS partition;

> 7) tried another XP (FAT32) install on the restoral partition as an experiment.

Two issues of note, though I should have paid closer attention (lack of sleep), were:

1) After reloading OEM Vista and then shrinking that partition (creating 3) partitions), during the XP system files install at the partition selection screen there was an unusual, I don't remember if it was a partition, drive, or something similar with an id, above the 3) partitions. It may have had to do with the restoral partition being Linux based, or something to do with the OEM recovery, or even something else, but it was definitely there then, and then got knocked off by Paragon.

2) The sucessful XP NTFS install to the middle partition defaulted to an extended logical partition. I was sleep deprived, and did not use a partition utility to prep, so now, after knocking off the other two partitions, XP is unbootable on the extended.

I don't know how cooperative and compatible the BIOS/EFI(?) of the C714NR will be with a XP (FAT32) install. I may be repeating this process all over again.

Has anyone else tried FAT32, or has everyone else installed XP as NTFS?

All this effort for Windows and I haven't even lifted a finger toward the spotted kitty kat yet. UGH!

Axe, installing Windows is such a huge pain with this machine. Too many drivers to install, etc. I use vmware fusion. It's very fast with 2gb ram and I have no dual-boot hassles.Does anyone know what file pmset writes to? If I can manually edit that file, we might have sleep! We just need to get the machine in hibernatemode 1 NOT the default 3! -vhttp://developer.apple.com/documentation/D...n1/pmset.1.htmlHere it is, guys! We might be close.

I found the file, gave myself edit permission, deleted the sleepimage, and manually changed the sleep mode. This had no effect on the wake up state. It wakes as always, then it can't find the battery, and after a minute or two kernel panics. I tried all available sleep modes... Not sure what to try next... I've tried several smbios files without success. Ideas? -v

I must over looked something....

I got AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, ACPIPS2Nub.kext and FFScrollPS2-0.1.RC1 stuff installed on top of iATKOS v1.0ir2 and so far it is great!

However, I cannot get the batter indicator and the wireless working.

I have followed the 2 links below but no luck:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...+bcm43XX+script

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=23684

Do I need to get it installed with EFI option?

Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to get the wireless working?

Thank you.

On the C714NR, has anyone established a FAT32 primary partition for XP that has resulted in a sucessful install of XP? I've had no success thus far, only an "Invalid partition table" message after BIOS screen. I'm gonna try relocating the partition.

Why a FAT32 partition for XP? So that XP and Leo can see one another.

On another note, for some peculiar reason after deleting the original OEM partitions on the SATA HDD and then repartitioning with Gparted a consistent "disk error" message was produced after the system files were initially loaded from the CD, after POST; FAT32 or NTFS made no difference. NO boot to setup, and neither would a clean Vista Anytime Upgrade DVD after the system files were loaded. Same error message.

I tried every combination: with/without native support; XPsp1 w/ USB Floppy utility; XPsp2 slipped; and many other XP iterations that must have half-lifed the CD drive.

I was suspicious that the HDD was taking a dump because a disk utility had suggested some bad sectors on the brand new HDD (wouldn't have been the first).

I decided to start all over:

> 1) reinstalled Vista OEM via recovery discs, so the HDD was fine;

> 2) shrunk the OEM Vista partition;

> 3) reloaded XP (NTFS) to successful install;

> 4) established dual boot w/ 3) partitions: OEM Vista/XP/OEM Vistal Restoral;

> 5) added Paragon to XP;

> 6) knocked out the OEM restoral partition & the OEM Vista OS partition;

> 7) tried another XP (FAT32) install on the restoral partition as an experiment.

Two issues of note, though I should have paid closer attention (lack of sleep), were:

1) After reloading OEM Vista and then shrinking that partition (creating 3) partitions), during the XP system files install at the partition selection screen there was an unusual, I don't remember if it was a partition, drive, or something similar with an id, above the 3) partitions. It may have had to do with the restoral partition being Linux based, or something to do with the OEM recovery, or even something else, but it was definitely there then, and then got knocked off by Paragon.

2) The sucessful XP NTFS install to the middle partition defaulted to an extended logical partition. I was sleep deprived, and did not use a partition utility to prep, so now, after knocking off the other two partitions, XP is unbootable on the extended.

I don't know how cooperative and compatible the BIOS/EFI(?) of the C714NR will be with a XP (FAT32) install. I may be repeating this process all over again.

Has anyone else tried FAT32, or has everyone else installed XP as NTFS?

All this effort for Windows and I haven't even lifted a finger toward the spotted kitty kat yet. UGH!

I did get a Tiny version of Vista (NTSF) loaded with Leo. and installed Ubuntu on a baby partition . Grub bootloader works like a champ, and this tiny Vista (<6g) does all the Win stuff I need.

I was gonning to install XP, but HP's ftp to get the SATA driver was down when I was doing it.

iATKOS v1.0ir2 on 1st partition

Ubuntu 2nd partition

Tiny Vista 3rd partition

Hope that helps

kenny

Thank you Vanilla,

I will try out again later and let you know the result.

One more questoin :

Is "netkas smbios" "AppleSMBIOS.kext" that I got from "http://homepage.mac.com/bjeecw/kexts.zip"?

Thanks again.

kennyp,

I have Vista on FAT32 and Leopard installed on HFS+ and another DATA partition on FAT32. I think what you need to do to fix "Invalid Partition Table" is to run "fdisk -u /dev/rdisk#" from Install DVD->Tools->Terminal. I was moving the "boot" flag as I was installing each of OSes. All Primary Partitions...

I am thinking of converting Vista partition from FAT32 to NTFS since I can use DATA partition as the share drive.... but I haven't done that yet.

Thank you.

Okay, I am re-installing C714NR with the following options:

iATKOS v1.0i Main System

Bootloader

> Darwin EFI bootloader

> > Stock Kernel

Patches

> Remove Thermal kexts

Drivers

> VGA

> > Intel(GMA X3100)

> System

> > SATA

> > AppleSMBIOS.kext netkas

Networking

> Broadcom 440x

I am hopping to get the wireless, battery indicator and sleep/wake-up working.

I will post the result later.

Thank you.

UPDATE:

Now, I have OEM Vista Premium on the /dev/disk0s0 and Leopard/EFI on /dev/disk0s1 and a DATA partion on /dev/disk0s2.

The wireless worked perfectly after the install! - Thank you Vanilla!!!

I do not think that the speedstep is working - Do I need ACPIPS2Nub.kext and FFScrollPS2-0.1.RC1 stuff?

What else do I have to install to get the battery meter working? (if it ever works)

How about the sleep/wake-up?

Note #1:

I had 'HFS+ partition error' after installation and I had the usual(?) fix via install DVD->terminal->"fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0" -> reboot.

Thank you.

I can't get dvd booting, It holds at:

Jan 26 12:23:32 localhost kextd[47]: can't add repository (not a directory).

Resetting IOCatalogue.

Jan 26 12:23:32 localhost kextd[47]: root filesystem is read-only; skipping kernel link data generation

Jan 26 12:23:57 localhost DirectoryService[51]: Launched version 5.0 (v514)

_

So What's this!!, I've tried cpus=1 -f -v -x and nothing changes, well, only for the -v but it freezes, I also tried rd=disk0s2, platform=X86PC, also the APCI option, but nothing, I used Gparted to flag the partition in BOOT, I tried enablig and disabling native sata mode on my bios, but anything helps, I've read many people installed iatkos successfully on this laptop. I thought maybe updating the BIOS but I cannot find where downloading the update.

Used GParted with three partitions (FAT32), Installed XP, but simply iATKOS DVD desn't run, it stops and no reboot, only it holds. HELP PLEASE!!