Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

Alright. I have reinstalled 3 times today with the final time actually getting 10.5.2 and the "a" set of kexts. I am still getting random lockups and kernel panics quite frequency both in safe mode and regular mode. What am I doing wrong? Is this common? What applications does everyone run?Jason

Odd

You are running with Vanilla Kernel and EFI right?

If so, what method of updating did you use to get up to 10.5.2?

I have never had a panic on here, ever, so I'm surprised.

As far as apps go, I've had no issue with anything i have thrown at this (Parallels, Office 08, CS3 Master Suite, Logic Studio, etc...)

Let me know what extras you used when you installed so I can try to troubleshoot with you. I want to see you have a stable system!

Hey, has anyone gotten the S-Video port to work? I just tried to hook up with my TV out of curiosity and couldn't get it to work. Granted, with no audio-out, using FrontRow with the TV isn't really feasible (without a USB audio adapter; something I am lacking), but once we get that figured out, I'd like the option.Also, I installed the kexts in the new A Pack and nothing changed for me. I don't have any trackpad options (something I didn't even realize was missing until reading these posts anyway, so no biggie), and my temperature actually went up a couple of degrees. Just thought I'd toss that out there. :)

Haven't tried S-Video, however, on my original Brazilmac install, the VGA out worked great. I have not tested it since my reinstall with iAtkos however, so I cant say for sure if its still working. If so, you may be able to find a way to connect it up to your TV.

Sound is still something I'm looking into as well. Hopefully we'll get there.

How dramatic of a temp change was it after the install? Hopefully nothing major.

I just tried to make this post and had my first dreaded "You must restart your system. Hold down..." message. So that kinda sucked. All in all though I feel this install maybe a success. I actually thought I had reached the Holy Grail...a totally stable install.

I started with iATKOS v1.0r2

Vanilla Kernel EFI

SATA

Intel Graphics

Then immediately installed Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo

RepairedPermissions

Then installed Kalyway 10.5.2 kernel (vanilla)

RepairedPermissions

Then the entire "A" pack

Repaired Permissions after each kext/bundle

then shutdown

Then installed Iwork 08, ilife 08, office 2008 and all the updates for those Applications. The only update I haven't installed is the graphics. I am now going to get firefox and the bird looking chat client. So far I am keeping my fingers crossed.

BTW: The A package for me significantly reduced temps (makes me wonder if those were related to the Kernel Panics). IT also added the batt meter just as promised but I only get the percentages not the time remaining. It just says calculating, which is fine.

--Update just crashed again while surfing the net. I am not sure what is going on. Feels much more stable than previously. I am going to repairPermissions again if suggested but right now, at least for tonight I will stick with what I have.

Hey, has anyone gotten the S-Video port to work? I just tried to hook up with my TV out of curiosity and couldn't get it to work. Granted, with no audio-out, using FrontRow with the TV isn't really feasible (without a USB audio adapter; something I am lacking), but once we get that figured out, I'd like the option.

Also, I installed the kexts in the new A Pack and nothing changed for me. I don't have any trackpad options (something I didn't even realize was missing until reading these posts anyway, so no biggie), and my temperature actually went up a couple of degrees. Just thought I'd toss that out there. :)

I have had no luck on the s-video thing yet. the d-sub out works fine as long as you boot with the external video already hooked up.

I have been looking into fixes for the audio jacks, and have found some work being done for Ubuntu that may help.

My temps went up about 5 degrees after all the updates, not sure at this point which kext to adjust.

Being new to osx, my learning curve is stright up, and I'm loven it! ;)

Scott: Temp bumped about 5 degrees Celsius from around 65 degrees to around 70 degrees. It's not a noticeable-to-the-touch change though.

Vanilla: I don't think I removed the thermal kexts, but it's been more than a month since I installed, so I might have. I can't find them, in any case. I also have never updated my bios (no Windows now to do it, and I'm not willing to go through the install process just for it). I am running 2 GB of RAM. I'm assuming that I did not install with the Vanilla kernel (again, it's been more than a month and the guide I used never stated what customizations to choose) as trying to update the kernel killed the system, no matter which one I chose. I restore from Time Machine (thank god for it!) every time I screw something up. lol

btld_ls1: I have no problems with DVD playback on my system. To my knowledge, I haven't installed anything extra that would have enabled it either, so it's worked from day one.

I just tried to make this post and had my first dreaded "You must restart your system. Hold down..." message. So that kinda sucked. All in all though I feel this install maybe a success. I actually thought I had reached the Holy Grail...a totally stable install.

I started with iATKOS v1.0r2

Vanilla Kernel EFI

SATA

Intel Graphics

Then immediately installed Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo

RepairedPermissions

Then installed Kalyway 10.5.2 kernel (vanilla)

RepairedPermissions

Then the entire "A" pack

Repaired Permissions after each kext/bundle

then shutdown

Then installed Iwork 08, ilife 08, office 2008 and all the updates for those Applications. The only update I haven't installed is the graphics. I am now going to get firefox and the bird looking chat client. So far I am keeping my fingers crossed.

BTW: The A package for me significantly reduced temps (makes me wonder if those were related to the Kernel Panics). IT also added the batt meter just as promised but I only get the percentages not the time remaining. It just says calculating, which is fine.

--Update just crashed again while surfing the net. I am not sure what is going on. Feels much more stable than previously. I am going to repairPermissions again if suggested but right now, at least for tonight I will stick with what I have.

I really dont know what the issue could be here.

Your install is identical to my own, but i have yet to experience a crash. I also kept the thermal kexts intact, did you?

Run the system with as many apps as you can and try to crash it again, and see how much it can take. You may have just had an off session. I wouldn't give up on the install however.

For the record, I do have the C712NR, so thre just may be sme sight difference I have missed (though the others here have your notebook with no issues). I also hve 2 gigs of RAM.

Just repair the permissions again, and if that doesnt help, then somewhere along the way something may have gotten messed up.

Chris, if you did not install the vanilla kernel/efi, that's why your system is jacked. You also should use the Netkas update method if you're on vanilla. -v

My temps are significantly lower at 55c.

So, is there a way to go back and install those and keep my system intact? Should I clean install and then use Time Machine? I might be game if it's that simple, but if I have to start over completely, I'll deal with the little quirks. Everything runs fine as it stands, just a little hotter and without trackpad tapping.

Just so everyone knows the c12NR was sold at staples only and is almost exactly the same as the c715NR sold at circuit city. The difference is that the c715NR has a card reader in it. You can see where the card reader should be on the c712nr (empty slot). Other then that there the same.

I dont have my c712nr anymore. I'm getting a almost lenovo clone of this machine (the n200 0769AVU) but I plan to still participate in this thread as much of what you have will still affect me to some extent.

I'm reinstalling using my iATKOS v1.0 DVD; I screwed something up and it wouldn't reboot, so I took that as a sign to reinstall with the Stock kernel, thermal kexts removed, and whatnot. I'm hoping I can restore over that with my Time Machine backup... I can do that, right? I guess worst case scenario, I can just do a plain restore and have all the non-stock stuff goin' on. *crosses fingers*

UPDATE: Yup, worst case came true; I couldn't even boot after the reinstall. Couldn't even get Darwin to load so I could do anything with it. Couldn't boot off the DVD either. So I'm restoring now. Oh well. I may not be running the stock kernel, but I know it all runs right. Anyone know if there's any way of installing the stock kernel after the fact, or do I need to try a different distro, KALYWAY for example. Or should I not even worry about it since I'm up and running with no issues? While I'm no Terminal Jockey, I've been around the block a few times with Mac OS and different Linux distros, so I'm hardly wary of it, if need be.

UPDATE 2: Okay, restored, but I can't boot without the DVD. The partition is set to active and boot flagged, so I'm not sure what's going on there. I'm still not pulling Darwin without the DVD... Any ideas on how to reinstall the bootloader?

Chris I use this guide here or rather his script. when i restore from timemachine and for most installs.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...100#entry529153

Heres my procedure in a nutshell:

1. reformat the drive with GUID scheme ( I always use PC_EFI with GUID)

2. load up the DVD and use the commands from the script in the above guide. His script is supposed to mark the drive active but never does for me. I also dont have luck with gparted as it seems to kill my partitions.

3. Install normally or restore the partition with timemachine backup

4. fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (where X is the drive your installing on or restoring to)

hit enter

type flag x (where X is the partition you are going to boot from, so with EFI its 2)

hit enter

type u (updates machine code)

hit enter

type w (writes the MBR)

hit enter

type q (quits)

reboot and all should work for you.

I have done this to boot off a USB drive and the main drive. Just have to watch what the USB drines are numbered as. They tend to change depending on the port there in.

Good Luck

Chris I use this guide here or rather his script. when i restore from timemachine and for most installs.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...100#entry529153

Heres my procedure in a nutshell:

1. reformat the drive with GUID scheme ( I always use PC_EFI with GUID)

2. load up the DVD and use the commands from the script in the above guide. His script is supposed to mark the drive active but never does for me. I also dont have luck with gparted as it seems to kill my partitions.

3. Install normally or restore the partition with timemachine backup

4. fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (where X is the drive your installing on or restoring to)

hit enter

type flag x (where X is the partition you are going to boot from, so with EFI its 2)

hit enter

type u (updates machine code)

hit enter

type w (writes the MBR)

hit enter

type q (quits)

reboot and all should work for you.

I have done this to boot off a USB drive and the main drive. Just have to watch what the USB drines are numbered as. They tend to change depending on the port there in.

Good Luck

Hmm... I get:

fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

I don't get that when running the commands outside of Leopard (at the DVD's Darwin boot using the -s command), but it still doesn't seem to stick. Could this be why I can't get Darwin to work without the DVD?

I am updating the bios to F-24 as I type. The release date on that bios is 1-15-2008 so it should be extremely current. I previously had F-04. I also repaired permissions again. No crashes this time (had been a problem during repair permissions in the past.

Hmm... I get:

fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

I don't get that when running the commands outside of Leopard (at the DVD's Darwin boot using the -s command), but it still doesn't seem to stick. Could this be why I can't get Darwin to work without the DVD?

Make sure you have boot0 and boot1h in usr/standalone/i386 folder and then the fdisk command will work (Those boot files are in i_am mes download I believe). They should be in place on the DVD (iatkos) if you boot from that. I always use an old tiger install or old leopard install to do this and those files are always in place there.

Hope that helps.

I am updating the bios to F-24 as I type. The release date on that bios is 1-15-2008 so it should be extremely current. I previously had F-04. I also repaired permissions again. No crashes this time (had been a problem during repair permissions in the past.
Good to hear, please post back with any changes in the BIOS revision, as well as any notable changes in OS X performance.
maybe we should try the sse2 kernel? I have a feeling there is a kernel level problem with our keyboard input.
Are your keyboard issues really that bad? I have yet to have a single 777777 error. How frequent is it happening to you?

Keyboard problems are easy to miss, unless you really type a lot. Type a long e-mail for example. This keyboard is missing about every third stroke. (I type pretty fast.) Also, the caps lock sometime sticks on. And sometime the 777777 or another char repeats. It's not good. I've tried everything. There are not any threads on this behavior with other machines. I just started using a USB keyboard until this gets worked out.

Anyone tried a Kalway install on this one? -v

After two days of typing a lot (I am a college student) I have not had any 77777 errors. The only time I saw this was during one of my failed installs. So far I have not noticed any changes from the bios update. I have also yet to experience another crash, using OSX all day.

Keyboard problems are easy to miss, unless you really type a lot. Type a long e-mail for example. This keyboard is missing about every third stroke. (I type pretty fast.) Also, the caps lock sometime sticks on. And sometime the 777777 or another char repeats. It's not good. I've tried everything. There are not any threads on this behavior with other machines. I just started using a USB keyboard until this gets worked out. Anyone tried a Kalway install on this one? -v
I typed up a 3 page report in Office 08 just a few hours ago actually, and seriously, not a single glitch. I can't imagine what the difference is here. I really can't.
After two days of typing a lot (I am a college student) I have not had any 77777 errors. The only time I saw this was during one of my failed installs. So far I have not noticed any changes from the bios update. I have also yet to experience another crash, using OSX all day.
Well it seems like you have everything sorted out now, which is great. At least I'm not alone in not having the random key error. I have been trying to replicate the issue, but to no avail.

Keyboard problems are easy to miss, unless you really type a lot. Type a long e-mail for example. This keyboard is missing about every third stroke. (I type pretty fast.) Also, the caps lock sometime sticks on. And sometime the 777777 or another char repeats. It's not good. I've tried everything. There are not any threads on this behavior with other machines. I just started using a USB keyboard until this gets worked out.

Is it possable the 777777 thing is a tweek in the case? I have nerer had a problem with the unit in my lap, but can remember 2 times it did it sitting flat on my desk....hmmmmm :unsure:

Don't know, just a thought.

Kenny

what version of the DVD installer did you guys use?
iATKOS 10.5.1 R2I used Kalyway comboupdate 10.5.2I Have not done graphics update yetHope it helps....if ya need any help, UR at the right place :( Kenny
I tried kalyway for about a week before finding iAtkos. I was never able to get it to boot without panic. I did use the Kalyway update, and that was SWEET!Kenny