Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

Ya just got the install to boot with knoppix live cd. QTparted is a lot nicer then Gparted. I guess there are a lot of complaints about the newest version. I will PM you the script. I'm shocked you could not find it did you search broadcom bcm43XX script. Should have mentioned that. ohh well youl have it in a min.

Also I should mention. With the install done with Pc_efi & vanilla kernal you do not have a battrey icon correct? Well I did not.

So I tried a non vanilla kernal install and no pc_efi & picked that intel speedstep option which also includes a different power management bundle. Anyway I have both of those now which is nice to finally see a battery icon. Since its not vanilla though I'm guessing no updates allowed without killing the system.

It says in the atkos notes that the speedstep option with vanilla kernal causes kernal panic. What I want to try is taking that power mangement bundle (not the speedstep piece called menumeters) out and see I can get that to work with my exsisting vanilla setup. However they might be the same thing not sure. So either that or figure out a way to install this option on a GUID partition scheme because its the fastest bootable partition scheme and allows for dual boot which I want to do. Also find a way to remove that iatkos from the about this mac would be nice to. lol

Anyway do you have any interest in working on this? Maybe we can compare notes and help each other out.

Congrats on the install. No, I do not have the battery icon. Keep in mind that the EFI makes the system behave like a Mac Pro, so...

I would prefer GUID, but I think I need MBR, because I plan to dual-boot with XP Pro on here.

I was thinking that a Vanilla install is better...I kind of dislike this 'hacked to death' installation. If only BrazilMac would work, but it does not...

Do sleep mode, power off, and restart work for you? None work for me, I spoke to soon earlier.

Thanks alot for that script, BTW.

It says in the atkos notes that the speedstep option with vanilla kernal causes kernal panic. What I want to try is taking that power mangement bundle (not the speedstep piece called menumeters) out and see I can get that to work with my exsisting vanilla setup. However they might be the same thing not sure. So either that or figure out a way to install this option on a GUID partition scheme because its the fastest bootable partition scheme and allows for dual boot which I want to do. Also find a way to remove that iatkos from the about this mac would be nice to. lol

Anyway do you have any interest in working on this? Maybe we can compare notes and help each other out.

I have it running with GUID partion using Kaly's install.

I have tried 4 installs - I am back to Kaly's default install (non-vanilla).

The issue for me with the vanilla install is that my CPU temps were 75 - 85 C. Unbearable for *lap*tops. :-)

The Kaly default install puts it around 48-55C.

If the laptop sleeps - however, when it wakes up - the CPU temps go straight back to 75-85. A reboot fixes it. This is good enough for me (can save my work and restart). Would like to fix this though...

I can't get the DVD player working (well... it works through VMWare Fusion - XP Pro) ... or Headphone out. Everything else (including monitor out) is working perfectly.

Let me know if you want any notes...

-Daniel

(first post - wooo hooo)

iatkos installed sucessfully on this laptop....

wireless does not work. any idea how to fix it? i think its a broadcom

Did you install on USB drive or internal? I've just installed on internal drive, restarted with the disc ejected and getting the blinking cursor. If I reboot with the disc inserted, I can boot up fine. However wireless works for me straight away. I've tried both GUID and MBR. Any ideas?

[EDIT] Ah never mind... Just a simple boot flag problem. Solved with GParted Live.

Hi Guys,

I was able to get iatkos installed on this laptop and it mostly works except for wireless and Line In/Out.

What's the script you're running to get wireless working? I tried the

Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta], Driver for Broadcom WLAN devices here

That patch didn't seem to work for me.

I'm not sure why, but I seem to have a battery indicator and speedstep processor-speed indicator on the top menu bar.

I have it setup as a dual-boot with XP on the first partition and OSX on the second partition.

I found that I had to install XP first on the first partition and then iatkos on the second. I tried installing iatkos on the first partition and for some reason kept getting an HFS+ partition error and no boot.

Sleep also doesn't seem to work... does anyone find a fix for that?

Thanks...

Did you guys install SATA option during iatkos install? I'm installing on my new 714nr now!

You can click the SATA option but it does not do anything with or without it still installs fine either way.

The only thing this laptop is missing is the headphone out jack and mic in jack working and a lil better power management.

What I mean by that is sleep working 100% and speedstep (mine is 70% able to wake up) with vanilla kernal. You can get speedstep if you dont pick the vanilla kernal but having vanilla kernal is better I think. Dont pick vanilla ACPI if you want the battery icon with vanilla kernal in Iatkos.

I have no idea how any of you would have gotten kalyway to install. It has no x3100 support so the only way I can get in is to -x -v and I can get it to boot safe mode with software rendered video. Iatkos is way better equipped for this laptop.

I have no idea how any of you would have gotten kalyway to install. It has no x3100 support so the only way I can get in is to -x -v and I can get it to boot safe mode with software rendered video. Iatkos is way better equipped for this laptop.

00Diabolic

I have c712nr also. Here how I got it to work with x3100.

After kalyway install boot it with -x. Than copy the Natit.kext from your post using Kext helper and delete the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, reboot. I'm running kalyway with EFI GUID and vanilla Kernl.

I have also get the battery icon by installing the PowerManagement.bundle. My compMac will sleep and wake for 1 time, only. if i put it to sleep the 2nd time it will not wake. and my heaphone and input jack don't work. Wireless works out of the box with kalyway.

I think I'm about where everyone else seems to be on this laptop...

The following works fine for me under Mac OSX (IATKOS v1.0i) on the C714NR:

Video

Sound (Speakers)

Wireless

Ethernet

Intel Speedstep

Battery

Keyboard/Mouse

DVD

USB

Not working yet:

Sleep

Line In/Out

I haven't tried burinig a DVD, but I can read/playback DVD's fine...

I started at this thread before I downloaded anything... thanks for keeping this thread going. But I ran into some noob problems at first with partitioning, bootloaders, and figuring out which packages to install.

Here's a quick summary of what I did with a brand new C714NR out of the box after adding 2GB of memory...

I wanted a dual-boot system for XP and Mac OSX

Download and burn the .iso for Gparted (http://download.tuxfamily.org/gpartedlive/)

Download and burn IATKOS v1.0i (Bit torrent)

Backed up C714NR system restore disks just in case (this takes a long time and 2x DVD's)

Completely repartitioned the drive into 3 FAT partitions using GParted (this erases all data on the disk)

I made three partitions (1 30G FAT (for XP), 1 30G FAT (for OSX), 1 60G FAT (for Data)

Installed XP on first partition and confirmed that the basic XP install booted.

Booted from IATKOS DVD and followed the 3-steps on the screen for Mac OSX install.

1. Run Disk utility from utility menu to convert 2nd partiton into a Mac partition (basically select a mac format and hit erase)

2. On IATKOS v1.0i you have to run a utility called Darwin Boot (utility menu) to install EFI and the bootloader.

Step 2 is automatic on IATKOS v1.0ir2.

3. Then run the Mac install and hit customize. Below are the boxes I checked for my C714NR:

iATKOS v1.0i Main System

Additional Patches:

DON'T check/install EFI emulation package

DO check Remove CPUPowerManagement and Remove Thermal kexts

Drivers:

Check VGA>Intel

Check System

Check Network

After about a 40 minute install, the system reboots into Mac OS X. If you can't make it through the entire "Welcome to Mac" getting started questions something didn't work and there's a good chance wireless and/or some other driver won't work. I had that problem a few times when I didn't pick the right packages and I did a complete install again.

Once you do get through the "Welcome to Mac", I went to the apple menu and did a Software update and started playing with my new $399 Mac. face-icon-small-smile.gif

I haven't used a Mac is about 10+ years and found the tutorials on Apple.com very helpful for learning how to get around.

I formatted the third partition and am using that for time machine backups. If you haven't seen Time machine in action it’s really nice.

When I boot up under Mac OS I am able to see my XP partition and swap files between the two partitions. I also installed a program called MacDrive (or something like that) under XP so I can see the Mac partitions.

A few notes... don't format your XP partition as NTFS or you'll need a utility under Mac OS to see that partition's data. you might need to disable native SATA support in BIOS to install XP at first,

The wireless button on the laptop dosen't change colors under Mac OSX but WILL power off the wireless card and you don't know if the wireless card is on or off. If you see the "baseball diamond" for wireless in the menu bar but wireless isn't working when you do a "Turn Airport On", try hitting the wireless power button to the left of the Main on/off switch.

There are some great notes about installing XP with links to drivers here

Darwin Bootloader was new to me... here is the answer to one of my first questions:

What are all the different options I can specify on the BOOT: prompt? The "?" help doesn't seems to work

From here

Incomplete list:

-f - This forces rebuilding of extensions cache

-s - Boots into a single user command line mode

-v - Verbose, boots in text mode showing all debug info and errors

-x - Boots into safe mode

"Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" - Tells VESA to boot with this resolution, the x32 is bit depth and is only compatible with VESA 3.0 and up

"Quiet Boot"="Yes" is the opposite of -v, forcing the graphic boot

rd=disk0s1 - Tells Darwin to boot from a certain partition specified in BSD format. Disk 0 specifies first HDD and s1 specifies first partition as 0 is the MBR.

cpus=1 - Tells the system how many CPUs or cores to use, useful for Core Duo users.

platform=X86PC - Can be used if problems with normal booting, ACPI is another option here

-legacy - Boots OS X in 32bit mode rather than 64bit if 64bit is used due to a 64bit processor

idehalt=0 - May stop stuttering

-vmware ?

Did some experiments with iatkos on this machine. If you use speedstep with non vanilla kernel, the system still will not wake from sleep. If you use vanilla with netkas smbios, sleep works and the fan will purr along quietly as it is supposed to! Runs about 50-55 c. And it wakes consistently. However...when it wakes, all the lights turn blue and the fan will not come back on. Temp steadily rises, as the above poster describes. You have to restart to get back to normal.

So, as a final step to get this working right I think the we need to find a fix that will wake it up into normal running state. Check out the details in the this thread about power managment: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=80425

I think our Maqs are resuming in the wrong mode. Something to do with pmset.

Vanilla thanks for the power management update... please post if you get it working.

I'm still looking at how to get Line In/Out working. I'd really like to be able to hook up headphones. I know I can probably use the $5 USB to audio adapter, but that's ugly.

sas, I use a logitech 250 usb headset. Cheap at $30, and you get a mic and a nice set of headphones.

I did a bunch of experiments with the pmset commands listed in the thread I linked above. Terminal says I can't change the custom power settings. I did sudo, but it won't work. If I run pmset -g it tells me I'm in -1 mode. Weird. There has to be a way to fix it. The hibernate file is at /var/vm/sleepimage. Maybe we need to tweak it directly? Thoughts?

Hey Vanilla,

Can you post up the AppleSMBIOS.kext that you are using that keeps your fan on low?

Mine seems to be either on or off. Keep in mind, having the fan on constantly will drain your battery quicker, how much quicker is yet to be determined.

I'm right in the middle of gathering up as much info as I can on this series of notebooks (I have the C717NR) and would like to get a nice blogpost up for everything C7** related.

Currently I have a proper speedstep kernel (99.9% stock source with only my speedstep related patch applied) and kext (sleep isn't working for me yet), I think I'm close to a solid battery icon solution that uses leo's acpiplatform.kext and a Tiger plugin along with the powermanagement.bundle you linked to above.

As soon as I iron out the last few wrinkles I'll update my blog with everything I've gathered. So far, these laptops look like a great choice for a super cheap hackintosh. Even my cardreader works since it uses a USB cardreader instead of those retarded ricoh card controller cardreaders used on most other laptops.

My battery time is close to 3 hours with my kernel/kext, what kind of battery time do you guys get with your configurations?

Paulicat.

I have the computer here at work so I've been stress testing it all day. I have vmware running xp doing multiple tasks and the CPU temp has not run above 53 c. The fan does turn off occasionally and it is not exhaling fire like it was when I was running pure vanilla/vanilla ACPI.

I am using the netkas smbios included in Iatkos r.2. I'll try to get it posted tonight. I also replaced ACPI per the instrux on the Iatkos forum on the "battery meter" sticky. (My battery still says Calculating...)

Sleep does the exact same thing every time. Halts system, lights blink slowly. It wakes up, but it can't resume normal state. It's usable, but it will soon overheat. I think it just needs something to tell it what wake up from sleep mode looks like!

Thanks for any help on this machine. Sounds like you're further along than the rest of us.

What tool are you using to measure your temps? TemperatureMonitor by Bresink??

If so I'm surprised by your temps, as mine hover in the 70's but the fan does not come on at all until 89-90 which makes the laptop VERY quiet for most average tasks.

Paulicat

Yes, I'm using Breslink Temperature Monitor. I have not been able to get the CPU higher than 55. I've posted my modded ACPI and SMBIOS on my iDisk.http://homepage.mac.com/bjeecw/kexts.zipI used this with the vanilla kernel setup from Iatkos r2. No other tweaks.My fan comes on and off quietly all day. Anyone know how to fix the trackpad scrolling or the iDisk?I just remembered one other tweak I made: I applied the option to remove thermal kexts in the iatkos installer.

...Currently I have a proper speedstep kernel (99.9% stock source with only my speedstep related patch applied) and kext (sleep isn't working for me yet), I think I'm close to a solid battery icon solution that uses leo's acpiplatform.kext and a Tiger plugin along with the powermanagement.bundle you linked to above.

Quick question - how do you know if SpeedStep is working? I installed the vanilla kernel + efi from Kaly's DVD.

My battery time is close to 3 hours with my kernel/kext, what kind of battery time do you guys get with your configurations?

Paulicat.

Couple hours - let me check tonight to see if I can get an accurate runtime. Are your figures with Full Screen brightness?

-Daniel

Where is the sleep setting in the bios, or maybe a better question is, what version is your bios??

I see nothing about sleep in my version.

As for speedstep, I can assure you that you won't have it with the vanilla kernel. My runtimes were with the lcd turned down a couple notches from full brightness, not more than 2 or 3 notches down.

Paulicat

As for speedstep, I can assure you that you won't have it with the vanilla kernel. My runtimes were with the lcd turned down a couple notches from full brightness, not more than 2 or 3 notches down.

Paulicat

LOL - Fair enough. Have you released your speedstep version?

I am going to put the new powermanagement bundle in tonight so i can see remaining time instead of battery %.

-Daniel

you need to use a USB mouse during the install. It freaks out on iatkos also.

My firmware is at v.8. There is a v. 22 out. I can't figure out how to install it though, with no Vista partition. Ideas? The additional features are in the new firmware.

My system is running great. I get a consistent three hours of power and very cool temps. -v