iATKOS Close To Release

mrjoe

62 posts in this topic

But it's also possible to make it dual-layer and _keep_ the languages? I hate to hack German-support together after installation. And what about GMA 950? I hear that's a problem currently with EFI, because the Mac mini's readout doesn't really work with desktops with GMA 950...Looking forward to your release! :)
Technically its possible to keep it. One thing a lot of people don't realise is that once you install you can just go into the original DMG and run the package files for anything extra you want to add. For a version 1.0 youll have to just put up with doing it afterwards. I had a lot of things to consider and handle. The complexity the script does is quite insane at times. Its one thing to make a custom DVD, its another thing to totally automate the process and allow it to be dynamic.I don't really take a stance on the choice of extensions etc to use. I provide a facility for you to decide what you want in it and it'll build it that way. If you want an older AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer for GMA950, just toss it into a special directory I have created and itll be added in. It is far to difficult to select the right extensions to satisfy everyone. Thats why I have taken the approach of a totally customised build. Personally I dont think its possible anymore to create a DVD that works for everyone, an extension that is required for one person can hang for someone else.Will this be difficult for those new to Mac OS X? Absolutely and this isn't targetted at them. This is for those that know what they need and lets them easily build it. If you know the right combination of extensions, this will most probably be very appropriate for you. Otherwise something like iATKOS will be a prefered choice. Consider this the advanced DVD :)
Dence, something to clear myself. Do I need to have a copy of GM Leo first and than download your app to patch it? Thanks in advance.
This patches any retail Leopard DVD. In theory it doesn't even need to be 10.5, it could be a 10.5.1 DVD (if it exists). I didn't hardcode anything into the process that requires any specific version, just something that contains all the retail files. It works like the BrazilMac script (which this is derived from - not that there is much resemblence anymore :(

I've ALWAYS realised you can install language-files later on. Thing is: It just doesn't work for everything. Apple-menu often stays English even after installing the German language files. Have to take the respective lproj-files out of a running Mac with the same system to localise it properly. Maybe that's just been my experience with Kalyway/Tiger, but it's been ugly, so I'd rather have the complete DL-DVD, basically. :)

This patches any retail Leopard DVD. In theory it doesn't even need to be 10.5, it could be a 10.5.1 DVD (if it exists). I didn't hardcode anything into the process that requires any specific version, just something that contains all the retail files. It works like the BrazilMac script (which this is derived from - not that there is much resemblence anymore :rolleyes:

COuld this patcher also be used to patch a Retail version of a Tiger disc? Or is it 10.5 only? I still have a LOT of use for 10.4 atm. :(

On IRC Uphuck seemed like a friendly, laid back guy who simply doesn't know what to say when people get stressed when release dates come and go. They have no right to be so. It will be finished when it's finished. I do know he is working on it, though, from a screenshot link he posted. If people ask when will it be finnished, he ignores the question. Give him space. :wacko: