Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

My system executes the sleep trick automatically (Sleepdisplay.app), so what's the advantage of the DSDT patcher?

Have u ever tried to play a game? or a full screen opengl application that need´s to switch resolution? Well, u can´t.

Hello,

i´ve got a dell vostro 1710 system with a x3100 graphic chip. i´ve tried serveral times to get osx with qe/ci to work. no succes yet... i´ve tried the dsdt patching as well... i think it should work with dsdt right?

the sleep trick doesn´t work.... i´ve got no sleep working... but i think sllep is the next step first i wan´t to use the native resolution.

the only succes i had was that i´ve got the native resolution with the dell tool but with the mouse distortion.

the last try was with the iAtkos v5i dvd but i´ve got no bootable system.

can someone create a step by step guide for dummies?

thanks

Ibaxx

my native resolution is 1920x1200 don´t know if that is recent

Yes! After strolling for hours on InsanelyMac (very learnful for me), and trying endless combinations of kexts for my GMAX3100, your one little post here did it! I have the same laptop, or very close: HP 6710b T1800. Intel card has same ID. I have a nice install of iAtkos 5.0i, updated to 10.5.6 with official Apple update, but all that time no QE / CI. It it was only after reading your post here that I realize I should first

1. extract the graphics update kexts from the iAtkos 10.5.5 install dvd with pacifist.

2. install them with kext helper.

3. install your gmax3100FB on top of that, then do

4. I think two or three reboots, heaven knows why that is needed, and now...

It works!

Very happy with, on to the next tweaking!

:D:D:D

Yes it works! :) Thank you so much. I have been after this for almost a week an finallly found a solution

I took have the 6710b from HP, and i tried at least 10 combinations until I found and tried your solution.

Now I have full CI/QE and dual monitors and no problems whatsoever.

To achieve this I followed these steps:

1. Install from any distribution (10.5.6 ... I used XxX 10.5.6 Rev1)

2. When it starts for the first time press F8 at startup and enter single user mode with -s modifier

3. /sbin/mount -uw / to gain access to the filesystem

4. rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA3100* to remove faulty driver

5. reboot

6. When it boots enter all the info needed then using KextHelper use the following kexts ( attached)

- AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext - 1.5.36

- AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin - 1.5.36

- AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle - 1.5.36

- AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle - 1.5.36

- AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer - 1.5.36

- AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext - 1.5.24

1.5.36 is the kext version that comes with 10.5.6 clean install

1.5.24 is the kext version that cames with Leopard Graphics Update 1.0

7. Repair permissions with disk utility

8. Reboot with -f parameter at boot time

Attachment : http://rapidshare.com/files/183814693/x310...p6710b.zip.html

If the file is no longer available on rapidshare ... use Pacifist to extract the files from Apple updates ( dowloaded from Apple Support) - from 10.5.6 Update and Leopard Grapghics Update

Good Luck and thank you for those who came up with the solution.

Yes it works! :D Thank you so much. I have been after this for almost a week an finallly found a solution

I took have the 6710b from HP, and i tried at least 10 combinations until I found and tried your solution.

2. When it starts for the first time press F8 at startup and enter single user mode with -s modifier

5. reboot

6. When it boots enter all the info needed then using KextHelper use the following kexts ( attached)

If the file is no longer available on rapidshare ... use Pacifist to extract the files from Apple updates ( dowloaded from Apple Support) - from 10.5.6 Update and Leopard Grapghics Update

Now if you tell me your lcd wakes from sleep properly I'll kill myself as only lcd backlight turns on. AppleIntelGMAX3100FB v1.5.18 gives you proper wake from sleep but no QE/CI

Yes it works! :rolleyes: Thank you so much. I have been after this for almost a week an finallly found a solution

5. reboot

The link response as "This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account". Could you try to attach or re-upload to another location? I interested to try it out, thanks first about support!

Hey! I don't know what to do, I have my video card working 100% but using an external Lcd, i can't get to see leopard in my internal inspiron 1525 screen.. I have QE/CI Working well i think so. Heres my info now:

Modelo de chipset: GMA X3100

Tipo: Pantalla

Bus: Integrado

VRAM (total): 144 MB

Fabricante: Intel (0x8086)

ID del dispositivo: 0x2a02

ID de la revisión: 0x000c

Pantallas:

Conector de pantalla:

Estado: No hay ninguna pantalla conectada

AL1916W:

Resolución: 1280 x 800 @ 75 Hz

Profundidad: Color de 32 bits

Core Image: Acelerado por hardware

Pantalla principal: Sí

Duplicado: Desactivado

En línea: Sí

Quartz Extreme: Compatible

Rotación: Compatible

Help me please!

Update: I was able to solve my problem by going into my laptop's BIOS and changing the display init. It was set to LCD+VGA, and I switched it to boot the internal GFX adapter only. When OSX came up, all was well, I had the extra monitor working.

During my testing, I tried mirrored displays, and it really messed things up. However, since I got the multiple monitors work, I've not tried it; I don't use that function, and well, I don't want to mess it up.

I installed the XxX 10.5.6 and then used slashack's kext set.

Hello I finally got my X3100 Fully Working thanks to slashack's!!!! well now can tell me about the DSDT patcher, how can i use it, please... You know... to quit the sleep trick... can i use it in 10.5.2?

Jesh.. If you can drem it you can do it!!!

I'm working on a sony VGN-NR385E w/ 3100 graphics (reported as a gma965).

The best I've got so far is with slashes drivers. I can get a monitor attached to the vga port to work and when I add Natit to the extensions the main display (1280x800) tries to work but is jumbled lines and blocks. If I connect to it remotely with vpn however, I can then put the display into 1280x768 mode at 60hz and the main display works! It does NOT survive a reboot however. The login window is crashing continuously on reboot.

Any ideas??

Hi,

i am having the same issue. I've applied slashack's method, but my screen

keeps coming up black. after using the -s flag and removing the GMAX3100

kext's the system boots again with a working desktop - in 1024x768 resolution :(

btw, i have extracted the kext files myself from the mentioned update packages.

the rapidshare link doesn't work anymore.

i am not sure why this method helped some users here.

my hardware:

Dell inspiron 1525

Intel GM965 chipset

GMAX3100 graphics chip

any suggestions on how to fix that major problem would be appreciated!

I know how to make it work if you have the black screen. Wait for everything to completely load, move your mouse as if you are trying to go to the apple in the upper left corner, left click on it then press the down arrow 8 times then hit enter, press the power button and it should show your screen with the correct resolution.

Hi everyone.

I can honestly say that I haven't red the entire topic and I'm sorry if this question has come up before.

I have a problem that I think is related to my X3100. Everytime I boot Leopard the background is completely black. I have to open a window and drag over the black for it to go away and show the real background image. Anyone that knows this problem or maybe have som pointers to what to do?

Thnx in advance!

Ok I'm kind of stuck. Dell Inspiron 1520 with GMA X3100. I have iDeneb 10.5.5, which I'm thinking is the problem, and can't get OSx86 to boot to a desktop after install. Basically I can get to the install (using F8 and cpus=2), install the OS to an external USB HDD using various choices (vanilla 9.5.0, stagexnu 9.4.0, x3100 selected, x3100 not selected, etc), but when it boots for the first time it only ever shows the apple loading screen, blue screen, then blank. hooked up an external display and that is blank too (altho its on, as in backlighting is on...LCD display. laptop display is fully off). Even with -x or -f or a combo of those, without telling it to use X3100 drivers, I can't get even a basic non-accelerated desktop to show up. Is this how it is for everyone? I figured I could atleast get basic video working with no X3100 acceleration, considering the install portion of OSX shows up.....kind of like safe mode in Windows, where it uses the base video drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok I'm kind of stuck. Dell Inspiron 1520 with GMA X3100. I have iDeneb 10.5.5, which I'm thinking is the problem, and can't get OSx86 to boot to a desktop after install. Basically I can get to the install (using F8 and cpus=2), install the OS to an external USB HDD using various choices (vanilla 9.5.0, stagexnu 9.4.0, x3100 selected, x3100 not selected, etc), but when it boots for the first time it only ever shows the apple loading screen, blue screen, then blank. hooked up an external display and that is blank too (altho its on, as in backlighting is on...LCD display. laptop display is fully off). Even with -x or -f or a combo of those, without telling it to use X3100 drivers, I can't get even a basic non-accelerated desktop to show up. Is this how it is for everyone? I figured I could atleast get basic video working with no X3100 acceleration, considering the install portion of OSX shows up.....kind of like safe mode in Windows, where it uses the base video drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

boot with -s. Then type

mount -uw /
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA*
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegrated*
rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
reboot

This will erase X3100 drivers from hard drive.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...1784&st=200

please read , it works - Thank you very much. 3 days of working and reading.

Dell Latitude D530- Leo4all 10.5.2, 10.5.3, 10.5.4,10.5.5

Now QE but Benchmark slower then before without QE. mmmhhh

You are the man. This method finally made it work for me (with using the sleep trick)

hardware:

Dell inspiron 1525, GMAX3100 chip with 1440x900 screen

now i need glasses (getting used to the new resolution) :)

if somebody now could fix that sleep issue, i will pronounce him GOD

You are the man. This method finally made it work for me (with using the sleep trick)

hardware:

Dell inspiron 1525, GMAX3100 chip with 1440x900 screen

now i need glasses (getting used to the new resolution) :D

if somebody now could fix that sleep issue, i will pronounce him GOD

Ok, this is what it worked for me:

It's from vaag post, but the forum says it's broken original vaag post, so i used google cache.

\begin{vaag post}

After a lot of fiddeling around with different kexts and EFI strings, I finally found a solution for my non-working laptop LCD screen: using an alternative DSDT ("bios override"). Based on the great work by mackerintel and fassl!

Chameleon with DSDT override

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132757

DSDT Patcher, a tool to fix your DSDT

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133683

Howto?

1. Install OSX 10.5.4 (haven't tested this with other versions then iAtkos)

2. Remove default display & framebuffer kexts and install A.J.Allen's kexts ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=956250 )

3. Connect external monitor and reboot

4. Upon reboot your LCD display will remain black (non-working) and your external monitor will work in full res with QE and CI.

5. Install the latest chameleon ( hxxp://chameleon.osx86.hu/ ) per the instructions in the tar.gz file (1.0.11)

6. Replace /boot with the DSDT override boot (rename chameleon to boot) from mackerintel ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132757 ).

7. Reboot your "mac" - you should see the new DSDT Chameleon booter with build date 2008-10-25 23:02:35

8. Everything still working? Ok!

DSDT

9. Grab the DSDT patcher by fassl ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133683 ). Version 1.0.1d by the time of writing.

10. Doubleclick the DSDT Patcher file.

11. Open the dsdt_fixed.txt file in the debug folder.

12a. Find all lines containing AGP. Remove them (4)

12b. Remove the entire Device (AGP) declaration (around 214 lines)

12c. Remove the Scope(\_SB.PCI0.AGP) declaration (around 33 lines)

12d. Remove the vid2 declaration (a few lines)

12e. Under Device(VID) remove the Device(TV) dec (24)

12f. Under Device(VID) remove the Device(CRT) dec (24)

12g. Under Device(VID) remove the Device(DVI) dec (24)

13. Compile the new DSDT file using ../Tools/iasl -ta dsdt_fixed.txt

14. Copy the new DSDT file to the filesystem root using sudo cp dsdt.aml /

15. Reboot & enjoy!

Working:

- LCD display

- Resolution switching

- Some Fn-keys (brightness!)

Not (yet) working:

- sleep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Not tested:

- Reliability...

This is just a first try and perhaps a little hacky, but hey - it's working! I used a Dell D530 but, as fassl suggested, this solution should also work on VAIO's and other laptops. Please try and report your findings in the comments.

\end{vaag post}

boot with -s. Then type

mount -uw /
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA*
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegrated*
rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
reboot

This will erase X3100 drivers from hard drive.

Thanks man, that did the trick!

Now to get sound and proper X3100 working. I love how the ethernet and wlan work right out of the box :)

Hi guys,

I have a Toshiba Equium p300 - 190, I have tried every method available but cannot get my X3100 working. have tried installing x3100 kexts uning kext helper, I have also installed manually from terminal but when I reboot I only get the generic driver working, it's as iff the kexts for x3100 ain;t activating. I have booted with -f to force as well. I have also tried installing x3100 kexts from iaktos v5i by putting a tick in the x3100 box only and selecting nothing els, I booted with -f but after grey screen with apple logo disappers my screen is all messed up, completely wrong resolution, get loads of scanlines and the image is repeated about 6 times from left to right!

I can boot with -x (safe mode) ok.

Any idea's??

I need help, I have a Sony VGN-NR220E

I have installed the iATKOS v5i and after I install it I can only get into the OS with -x cause if I boot up normally it just goes to the gray loading screen then goes blue and stays there.

When I could get into safe boot with -x I installed Natit.kext and the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and right before that I install switchresX to change my res to 1280x800.

after that I reboot and in normal or safe it goes to the gray loading screen then goes to the blue screen in 1024x768 and then flashes black then adjusts to 1280x800, but stays at the blue screen. what should I do?

Hey slashhack,

That did the trick for me!!!! Finally I got a 100% working Dell Latitude D630!

So sweet. Thanks a lot!

Ty

OMG OMG OMG That worked for me too Slashhack!!!!! my LCD kinda flickers now though, refresh rate?