Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

Ok, this is what it worked for me:

It's from vaag post, but the forum says it's broken original vaag post, so i used google cache.

\begin{vaag post}

After a lot of fiddeling around with different kexts and EFI strings, I finally found a solution for my non-working laptop LCD screen: using an alternative DSDT ("bios override"). Based on the great work by mackerintel and fassl!

Chameleon with DSDT override

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132757

DSDT Patcher, a tool to fix your DSDT

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133683

Howto?

1. Install OSX 10.5.4 (haven't tested this with other versions then iAtkos)

2. Remove default display & framebuffer kexts and install A.J.Allen's kexts ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=956250 )

3. Connect external monitor and reboot

4. Upon reboot your LCD display will remain black (non-working) and your external monitor will work in full res with QE and CI.

5. Install the latest chameleon ( hxxp://chameleon.osx86.hu/ ) per the instructions in the tar.gz file (1.0.11)

6. Replace /boot with the DSDT override boot (rename chameleon to boot) from mackerintel ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132757 ).

7. Reboot your "mac" - you should see the new DSDT Chameleon booter with build date 2008-10-25 23:02:35

8. Everything still working? Ok!

DSDT

9. Grab the DSDT patcher by fassl ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133683 ). Version 1.0.1d by the time of writing.

10. Doubleclick the DSDT Patcher file.

11. Open the dsdt_fixed.txt file in the debug folder.

12a. Find all lines containing AGP. Remove them (4)

12b. Remove the entire Device (AGP) declaration (around 214 lines)

12c. Remove the Scope(\_SB.PCI0.AGP) declaration (around 33 lines)

12d. Remove the vid2 declaration (a few lines)

12e. Under Device(VID) remove the Device(TV) dec (24)

12f. Under Device(VID) remove the Device(CRT) dec (24)

12g. Under Device(VID) remove the Device(DVI) dec (24)

13. Compile the new DSDT file using ../Tools/iasl -ta dsdt_fixed.txt

14. Copy the new DSDT file to the filesystem root using sudo cp dsdt.aml /

15. Reboot & enjoy!

Working:

- LCD display

- Resolution switching

- Some Fn-keys (brightness!)

Not (yet) working:

- sleep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Not tested:

- Reliability...

This is just a first try and perhaps a little hacky, but hey - it's working! I used a Dell D530 but, as fassl suggested, this solution should also work on VAIO's and other laptops. Please try and report your findings in the comments.

\end{vaag post}

sounds promising. i'll test that in the near future. thanks for that one.

another question/issue:

all input windows (as this one where i am typing right now, or chats where i need to type something,

for example in adium, the font is very blurry and difficult to read. But not everywhere.

When reading for example the forums, the font is clear black and fine.

does anybody have the same issue? or know any fix for that?

i'll attach a screenshot if needed so you can see what mean. let me know..

Well, I decided to try slashack's method mentioned above. I'm stuck at the external monitor part. When I reboot with the external monitor plugged in, the LCD goes blank (as mentioned) and the external monitor shows a picture (as mentioned). The only problem is, the external monitor is showing up as a 2nd display rather than the main/only display, so all my icons and such are off to the left side. I managed to login simply by knowing that the keyboard defaults to the password box, but thats where I'm stuck. I tried booting with -s and doing the "iasl -ta dsdt_fixed.txt" command deal from the Tools folder, but it says command not found. So right now I'm trying the process again, but I'm going to precompile the dsdt.aml file ahead of time, and then boot using -s and copying it to the root. hopefully that works.

Ok, so I tried that and got stuck not being able to copy the dsdt.aml file to the root. Managed to get around that finally (mount -uw /), but when I boot I still don't get anything on the LCD and the external just shows a broken up/funky version of the "working" color wheel. Time to go back to standard VGA I guess.

Finally got it work but only get 1 resolution option 1024x768 in the system preferences/display. How can I change my res higher?

There are 2 ways that I know to do this, but unfortunately neither is a quick change within the OS (they require a reboot).

1. At bootup, before it loads the OS (at the darwin boot loader or where you'd do "-" commands like -s -x etc) type this including the quotes:

"Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32"

You could change the res to anything, the 1280x800 would be an example. The 32 is the color in bits (8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit etc). This one would require the typing at boot every time, so its not the best choice of the 2, but it works and is good for testing.

2. Using Finder, browse to the director "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/". Using TextEdit edit the file "com.Apple.boot.plist". After the last <string></string> set, put these 2 lines (changing the resolution as mentioned in option 1):

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

When you are done, go to File and choose Save As (do not use Save, as this will not work due to permissions). Using Save As, save the file (with the same name) to your desktop. Be sure it has the .plist extension and does not add .txt to the end. Now drag the file from your desktop into the "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/" (which should still be open in a Finder window). You will be prompted to enter your admin password to allow it to be overwritten. This will take effect every time you load the OS, which makes it the best option. Just requires some file editing. This is the path I chose to force mine to use 1280x1024 (because sadly outside of X3100 acceleration, you can't get widescreen resolutions, and my display goes up to 1680x1050 so I wanted to use as much of the pixels as I could).

I've got my res working ok with appleintelgmax3100fb.kext installed along with appleintelgmax3100.kext installed but the problem is that for some reason that frame buffer kext is making my screen flicker which drives me nuts. i'm gonna try your second idea though.

problem with number two is that it tells me I have write access privilages that aren't met. tried to put my user in the privlages but still won't let me.

i have sony vaio vgn-nr385e

i use iDeneb v1.1_10.5.4

i deleted in -s mode all AppleIntelGMA, AppleIntelIn.kext. an put kext from this topic. my laptop monitor go in black but external monitor work with qe/ci and resolution. problem is wath it can not see internal display ONLY EXTERNAL. Haw resolve this problem :);):D HEEEEEEEEEEELP

sounds promising. i'll test that in the near future. thanks for that one.

another question/issue:

all input windows (as this one where i am typing right now, or chats where i need to type something,

for example in adium, the font is very blurry and difficult to read. But not everywhere.

When reading for example the forums, the font is clear black and fine.

does anybody have the same issue? or know any fix for that?

i'll attach a screenshot if needed so you can see what mean. let me know..

anybody?

I've got my res working ok with appleintelgmax3100fb.kext installed along with appleintelgmax3100.kext installed but the problem is that for some reason that frame buffer kext is making my screen flicker which drives me nuts. i'm gonna try your second idea though.

problem with number two is that it tells me I have write access privilages that aren't met. tried to put my user in the privlages but still won't let me.

That was my fault, I need to revise the directions for #2. I'll edit my original post after this one, but here's the updated correct way.

2. Using Finder, browse to the director "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/". Using TextEdit edit the file "com.Apple.boot.plist". After the last <string></string> set, put these 2 lines (changing the resolution as mentioned in option 1):

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

When you are done, go to File and choose Save As (do not use Save, as this will not work due to permissions). Using Save As, save the file (with the same name) to your desktop. Be sure it has the .plist extension and does not add .txt to the end. Now drag the file from your desktop into the "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/" (which should still be open in a Finder window). You will be prompted to enter your admin password to allow it to be overwritten. This will take effect every time you load the OS, which makes it the best option. Just requires some file editing. This is the path I chose to force mine to use 1280x1024 (because sadly outside of X3100 acceleration, you can't get widescreen resolutions, and my display goes up to 1680x1050 so I wanted to use as much of the pixels as I could).

Quick laptop 'black screen' work around for people with dual boot system. After installation of 'hackintosh', boot into windows, download 'mac drive 7' then once installed located your 'hackintosh' partition. You should be able to access all the files and directories of the drive, now open system/library/extensions and delete natit.kext and all appleintel 950/x1300 kexts including appleintegratedbuffer.kext.

Reboot into hackintosh and you should now have a working screen.

You can also use Mac Drive 7 to edit your com.apple.boot.plist etc as well

I have used this method on 2x Dell and a Toshiba Equium p300-190 and it workd straight away.

Hope this helps.

Has anyone been able to get the drivers working in 10.5.6? I'm wondering if maybe thats why this isn't working for me. I started with iDeneb 10.5.5, installed the audio drivers, then updated to 10.5.6 with the only problem being that I had to reinstall the audio drivers. I didn't try any of these X3100 install methods in 10.5.5, only tried after updating to 10.5.6.

I'm contemplating going back to 10.5.5 and trying it there, THEN updating to 10.5.6. Maybe that will work better.

Thinkpad x61t, with x3100, also 4GB RAM, Turbo Mem, Atheros WiFi, Bluetooth

x3100 Device ID: 2a02 rev: 0c

iAtkos v5i, Dual booting with XP.

I installed iAtkos v5 using this post: acoma's install

The only change was using Intel SATA instead of the AHCI version. I used its Graphics Update and x3100 driver.

The machine booted and ran fine a couple times. Even now, it seems like 1 boot out of 10 will work. The rest of the time I get the horizontal sync error I've seen in other posts. The machine boots through the grey Mac screen, then switches to solid blue, then goes black for a moment. Then it either comes back working or (much more often) it comes back with blue bars that cover the screen and are continuously changing. It looks like a sync error (someone didn't set up the x3100?) but may also be called tearing.

None of the other links I've looked at describe the system that I'm working with and I don't understand the interaction between different kexts well enough to know what will work. Any ideas of what to do?

By the way, I also asked this question at the tail of the acoma thread too, but it doesn't seem like people there are running into this problem.

Thanks!

I tried getting X3100 support working on iDeneb 10.5.5 (fresh install with only sound support being added), but it still wouldn't work for me. I installed the graphic updates, then the natit and FB kext files, then repaired permissions, rebooted and started with -f. Grey apple loading screen comes up, then the blue screen for a few seconds, then blank. I had set a sleep corner, so I moved the mouse to there for 30sec to 1min, then moved the mouse. I also tried doing the "click the apple in the corner, down arrow 8 times, enter, then power button" trick. Neither way got it to show a proper screen. The best I ever got was a black screen (backlit) with a mouse arrow in the upper left corner, which doesn't move, and my actual mouse arrow being a broken/stretched one that does move when I use the mouse. It never gets any further than that no matter what I do.

Oh how I wish a full working solution would pop up. I'm nearing giving up on the Mac thing until then. I'd go back to 10.3, but I mostly want to use iLife 09, which needs 10.5.6 (and at best you can get it working in 10.5.x, but nothing lower).

Grey apple loading screen comes up, then the blue screen for a few seconds, then blank. I had set a sleep corner, so I moved the mouse to there for 30sec to 1min, then moved the mouse. I also tried doing the "click the apple in the corner, down arrow 8 times, enter, then power button" trick. Neither way got it to show a proper screen. The best I ever got was a black screen (backlit) with a mouse arrow in the upper left corner, which doesn't move, and my actual mouse arrow being a broken/stretched one that does move when I use the mouse. It never gets any further than that no matter what I do.

I experience the same behaviour from my Insipron 1525, except that my mouse cursor isn't broken in any way. Beside deleting appleintelgmax3100* from extensions folder (and get VESA output), nothing seems to work with my GMAX3100.

Looking for a fix for this problem...

I was so annoyed when I read these posts about the X3100, because that is what my laptop had. Used iPC and chose the X3100 kext and as you all here it didn't work. I did notice however that upon loading from the disc it said X3100 at the top. I installed without any graphics kexts at all and oddly enough it works.

Proper Resolution

QE/QC all working.

Does this mean we don't need a graphics kext for this chipset?

The machine booted and ran fine a couple times. Even now, it seems like 1 boot out of 10 will work. The rest of the time I get the horizontal sync error I've seen in other posts. The machine boots through the grey Mac screen, then switches to solid blue, then goes black for a moment. Then it either comes back working or (much more often) it comes back with blue bars that cover the screen and are continuously changing. It looks like a sync error (someone didn't set up the x3100?) but may also be called tearing.

It happens to others, apparently just not enough that it will get fixed. I've been struggling with this same issue on my Acer Extensa 5620 ever since first installing OSX. It was very bad in 10.5.5. Now in 10.5.6, it's a bit better. Still happens, though, especially on a cold boot. Maybe we all need to start our own thread and compare notes... I've posted about this to other threads as well, but never got any fixes.

James_478: Why they insist on including the old now-defunct X3100 driver on every new distro is beyond me. DON'T SELECT IT. OSX now supports X3100 natively, so usually no additional drivers are needed. If you install them, your video will likely be broken. There are a few laptops that can't seem to use the Apple-supplied driver, yes, but always try using stock drivers before someone's homemade hack.

Before starting you need kexthelper utility. make sure you have it.

I'm not a guru but this is what I do ususally (have tried many many times...)

1) unzip slashack folder in your desktop

2) open terminal

3) type "sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100* "

it will ask your password

4) type "sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext"

5) type "sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext"

7) Open KextHelper and drop into the window all slashack files. Put your password and click easy intall

8) when finished close KextHelper, but don't reboot

9) run diskutility (from Utilities)

10) choose your leopard disk

11) run repair permissions

12) reboot with -v -f options

good luck!

It is the miracle I have been looking for for the last four weeks. I tried this tonight and QE/CI lights up! My video was working at the proper resolution, but no QE/CI, so no Google Earth, VMWare Fusion, or the like. It is all working flawlessly, now.

Thank you so much for your efforts.

Why can't I get it working? I have an HP dv6654us and I've tried with every combination, and each is a failure!

Slashack's kexts - Blue screen on main, wallpaper on external, 1 working cursor

10.5.6 Stock - Random freezing, doesn't respond, moving cursor.

Leo Graphics Upd. kexts - Black screen, 1 cursor that moves, 1 in corner; no boot

So after a lot of investigation here is my take on leopard on a D830 with x3100

I tried a lot of kext combination but could never wake up from the black screen with the hotcorners trick.

Then I found the slashack kext, with them I can wake my screen in 1920x1200 but my mouse cursor is scrambled, and I still need the sleeptrick.

I found another set of kext that works with the same result, it's the drivers and natit from the kalyway 10.5.2 but I still have a scrambled mouse un 1920x1200.

I can have a 1600x1000 resolution which works correctly (with mouse cursor)

in this res I can have an external monitor in 1920x1200

So does anyone fixed the scrambled cursor in native resolution on the internal lcd ?

I've seen some posts with people having the same problem on 1680x1050 as well (still d830 and x3100)

i have sony vaio vgn-nr385e

i use iDeneb v1.1_10.5.4

i deleted in -s mode all AppleIntelGMA, AppleIntelIn.kext. an put kext from this topic. my laptop monitor go in black but external monitor work with qe/ci and resolution. problem is wath it can not see internal display ONLY EXTERNAL. Haw resolve this problem :o:D:D HEEEEEEEEEEELP

Same laptop, same results (10.5.6)

I've tried slash's stuff. Only the external display works (though it is QE enabled).

I can delete all the GMAX3100 stuff and natit and get only working 1024x768 vesa on the 1280x800 display. I can't even get that to go to 1280x800 with kernel flags in com.apple.boot.plist, boot "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32" flags or switchresx.

I've tried every other GMAX3100 bunch of kexts w/o any good results.

Just about ready to throw in the towel.

Same story here, Acer 5720, X3100, OSX86 10.5.6.

I tried every solution/kext I found here but no go. It is working, at least boot, and have 1280x800 when I delete from Extensions folder AppleIntelGMAx3100Gl.plugin and .bundle stuff (leave .kext, that are downloaded with osx86 tool). But no OpenGL and hardware acceleration at all.

Hope someone will give us some solution.

[EDIT] I made it, works perfectly, at last! Use slashhack way, with different kext. Use latest kexts, from 10.5.6 DVD, except AppleIntelGMA3100FB.kext, use one from slashack pack. BE SURE to fix permissions and erase any cache (this was my problem I think). And voila!!!