Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

It happens to others, apparently just not enough that it will get fixed. I've been struggling with this same issue on my Acer Extensa 5620 ever since first installing OSX. It was very bad in 10.5.5. Now in 10.5.6, it's a bit better. Still happens, though, especially on a cold boot.

James_478: Why they insist on including the old now-defunct X3100 driver on every new distro is beyond me. DON'T SELECT IT.

I'm running on a HP 6720s laptop, ideneb 1.4 (10.5.6) with Software Update 2009_001. I did not select X3100 at install, so I have acceleration at 1280x800.

However, I have the same 'cold boot' issue. When I first start the laptop in the morning, just as it gets ready to resize from VESA resolution to native resolution, the screen is garbled - horizontal gray lines and one vertical bar somewhere to the right. If I give it 4-5 more reboots, it manages to resize to native resolution but stays at the blue screen - no brightness change, anything.

And after some magic happens (or as I read around the forum - the something gets heated enough) after a couple of more reboots, it does manage to boot properly.

If I boot into safe mode (-s) and fiddle with it for a while - I don't need to do that many reboots. So let it worm up on its own just sitting at the command line for some minutes, and then it starts properly after exiting safe mode.

But I'm too lazy to investigate why (I'd probably start with removing power management drivers, see if that changes anything - but as my onboard wifi doesn't work, sound only through speaker even if I insert headphones - oh well, just another inconvenience).

have the same problem but i found solution.

first you need an extern screen.

start osx and work on this screen.

- you have to delete all AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext from "System/Library/Extensions/" BUT!!!!

you have to save all the files on stick or something

- after a reboot you have a picture on your main screen in 1024x768 and you can´t change it in settings.

- now put the last Natit.kext with the Kext Helper b7 to the right place (automatically) and restart

- after that you´ll found no changes :thumbsup_anim:

- now you have to copy the files AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext und AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle back to the original place (use again the Kext Helper b7)

- after a reboot you have you native resolution and you can change it as you want.

thats how it´s working on my laptop

sorry, bad english, i know (german guy)

Laptop ASUS S37e

Intel GM965 X3100 - work

Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN - don´t work

BT - works

FW - works

Cardreader and sound - don´t work - not yet

Fingerprinter - don´t work

trackpad - only without fingertapping

hope i can help you

I guess I spoke too soon, I shut the laptop down and now it just boots to a black screen. I've read the posts about the 'sleep trick' but I dont get how I am supposed to move the mouse to the corner when I can't see it to begin with. On boot I can see it says something about hibernation mode, just dont understand how i am supposed to bring it out.

And further, it seems after waiting awhile when I press the power button it comes out of sleep with a message giving me options, sleep, reboot, hibernate and cancel, when I hit cancel, it goes back to the black screen???? HELP?

Dell D630

Leo4all 10.5.6

I am using a toshiba equium p300 - 190 which has gmax3100 graphics.

I am using iDeneb latest 10.5.6. I have tried every variant of x3100 kexts old and new including various natit kexts.

I can only get a black screen except for when i plug an external monitor in but then I get only the top right quarter of screen showing on both internal and external display, displaying only the wallpaper, no icons or dock but i get mouse pointer and if i right click the mouse i get the right click menu.

Any idea's how to fix this

I have started this thread in order for us to have a seperate space away from the GMA 950 issues that are being discuess in most other threads.

Just to explain this is a discussion thread dedicated to hopefully getting the GMA X3100 working on our laptops. Let me be clear on this though....there are already many systems out there with the GMA X3100 working. I would highly suggest that before you post here, you read this ongoing thread.

IDK how to get QE working on my laptop and now Aperture and Preview don't work (after installing osx86 graphics drivers)

• 2 weeks later...
have the same problem but i found solution.

first you need an extern screen.

start osx and work on this screen.

- you have to delete all AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext from "System/Library/Extensions/" BUT!!!!

you have to save all the files on stick or something

- after a reboot you have a picture on your main screen in 1024x768 and you can´t change it in settings.

- now put the last Natit.kext with the Kext Helper b7 to the right place (automatically) and restart

- after that you´ll found no changes :unsure:

- now you have to copy the files AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext und AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle back to the original place (use again the Kext Helper b7)

- after a reboot you have you native resolution and you can change it as you want.

thats how it´s working on my laptop

sorry, bad english, i know (german guy)

Laptop ASUS S37e

Intel GM965 X3100 - work

Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN - don´t work

BT - works

FW - works

Cardreader and sound - don´t work - not yet

Fingerprinter - don´t work

trackpad - only without fingertapping

hope i can help you

Hi, I tested your instructions on my Inspiron 1420 (XxX 10.5.6) with an external monitor. On the second reboot, the display was switched to the external monitor; but it stopped at the blank default Leopard wallpaper, no dock, no menu bar. Please help...

Hi, I tested your instructions on my Inspiron 1420 (XxX 10.5.6) with an external monitor. On the second reboot, the display was switched to the external monitor; but it stopped at the blank default Leopard wallpaper, no dock, no menu bar. Please help...

That's cause you have two monitors. The external shows as secondary, without menu bar/dock. You might look this forum and search for the sleep trick. It sleeps the display so when u wake it, your lcd monitor (the 1420 one), shows the desktop.

There are many tricks. One is to press the power button and press S. Just find one that works for you.

As in case of CharredPC and rchmiel my lappy (Toshiba M305 / X3100) needs no Natit, Sleep Corners, or headache with EFI Strings anymore. Perhaps Apple folks did some modifications to kexts.

Download 10.5.5 Combo Update and follow this guide.

Otherwise use 10.5.5 kexts. In archive:

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
 AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
 AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin
 AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle
 AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle
 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

You don't need Natit anymore, so delete it. Display should work at native resolution. But update to 10.5.5 is much better than replacing kexts anyway.

This works like a charm on my Inspiron 1420. Press Power Button and then s to wake up the black screen.

Hi,

I have no issue with the resolution. It just worked for me without any alteration Video Graphics:- "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100". I installed from Kalyway 10.5.3 Intel AMD Iso image and then upgraded to 10.5.6 comboupdate, fixed keyborad/trackpad, Ethernet and battery meter status. Also with LM001 USB wifi dongle fixed wifi too.

I'm looking for s-video solution, will AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext fix the s-video issue? I tried to plug s-video cable and detect Dislpay but haven't been lucky.

Can someone assist me to right solution/thread to get s-video working.

Another issue is MIC is still not wokting, is not on my priority list though. I have Conexant audio card.

Many thanks for looking.

Regards, Syb

My notebook specification :- http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilio...?tag=mncol;psum

Not sure if I have posted in the correct thread so forgive me if I have.

I have a DELL Inspiron 1525 with the Intel GMA x3100 Chipset:

My screen display/resolution is perfect and I have absolutely no issues with this. However, I do have the problem when I start the computer up, I get past the grey Apple and get a brief look at the blue desktop then the computer goes to sleep and I have to wiggle my finger on the mousepad to wake the computer and get to the desktop.

I have tried putting various commands into the 'rc.common' file and I have also tried putting a 'dsdt.aml' file in the Macintosh HD directory to solve and nothing works.

I have installed from Kalyway 10.5.2 and I am now at 10.5.6.

I have installed Cameleon also.

I just need to clarify, do I need to install any GMA x3100 kext files to make the sleep tricks work and also do I need to install EFI?

I have listed my hardware details below:-

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x000c

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Built-In: Yes

Display Connector:

My screen display/resolution is perfect and I have absolutely no issues with this. However, I do have the problem when I start the computer up, I get past the grey Apple and get a brief look at the blue desktop then the computer goes to sleep and I have to wiggle my finger on the mousepad to wake the computer and get to the desktop.

I have tried putting various commands into the 'rc.common' file and I have also tried putting a 'dsdt.aml' file in the Macintosh HD directory to solve and nothing works.

I just need to clarify, do I need to install any GMA x3100 kext files to make the sleep tricks work and also do I need to install EFI?

Intel GMA X3100:

Displays:

Display:

Display Connector:

Here is another link for sleep display and X3100 video issue....

Here is another link for sleep display and X3100 video issue....

Hi Buddy, already tried that a million times and it doesn't work.

I have attached my rc.common file if someone can just check I put everything in the correct place :-/

Obviously I had to change the extension to .txt to upload....

rc.txt

Intel GMA X3100:

Displays:

Display:

Display Connector:

if you dont mind me asking, what were your steps going from kalyway to working graphics?

i've got kalyway 10.5.2 as well, and when I install, i can get the correct resolution but I'm getting screen/mouse tearing and no QE/CI.. did the combo update fix your graphics or did they work from the start?

it seems like in the dell 1525 dailyblog by richard he can obtain full qe/ci as well as you - but i have NO idea how you guys are doing this, so i'd appreciate the help..

im basically to the point that I could donate a few bucks in the direction of anyone who wouldn't mind helping me.

EDIT:

actually, if someone with working qe/ci could post a zip/rar/whatever of everything containing AppleIntel*.kext, then I think I could get it to work.

i just am not quite sure what to do. Some sources say don't select any drivers at install and the native ones work fine - some say you need specific versions - some say delete certain kexts, others say keep certain kexts - I have kalyway 10.5.2, iDeneb 10.5.5, iAtkos, and a retail leopard dvd and no form of any of the above solutions seems to work, yet many people have done this - am i missing something critical?

if you dont mind me asking, what were your steps going from kalyway to working graphics?

i've got kalyway 10.5.2 as well, and when I install, i can get the correct resolution but I'm getting screen/mouse tearing and no QE/CI.. did the combo update fix your graphics or did they work from the start?

it seems like in the dell 1525 dailyblog by richard he can obtain full qe/ci as well as you - but i have NO idea how you guys are doing this, so i'd appreciate the help..

im basically to the point that I could donate a few bucks in the direction of anyone who wouldn't mind helping me.

EDIT:

actually, if someone with working qe/ci could post a zip/rar/whatever of everything containing AppleIntel*.kext, then I think I could get it to work.

i just am not quite sure what to do. Some sources say don't select any drivers at install and the native ones work fine - some say you need specific versions - some say delete certain kexts, others say keep certain kexts - I have kalyway 10.5.2, iDeneb 10.5.5, iAtkos, and a retail leopard dvd and no form of any of the above solutions seems to work, yet many people have done this - am i missing something critical?

I've posted a zip with kext that worked for me. If u like, i can attach the oned i have on my 1420 now (i think they are the same). They are working. I also made the dsdt patch trick to avoid the sleep trick. It works perfectly. I turn on my notebook, and it works perfectly, no sleep display, no hot corners, no key combinations, nothing, just the desktop.

I've posted a zip with kext that worked for me. If u like, i can attach the oned i have on my 1420 now (i think they are the same). They are working. I also made the dsdt patch trick to avoid the sleep trick. It works perfectly. I turn on my notebook, and it works perfectly, no sleep display, no hot corners, no key combinations, nothing, just the desktop.

hi slashack,

if you want attach your patched dsdt? i try it on a D630 :)

hi slashack,

if you want attach your patched dsdt? i try it on a D630 :D

This topic, page 29, post 571.

If u already have 10.5.6 then just do the dsdt patch part.

The kexts i used are somewhere in this topic, the dsdt.aml already patched too, just look for them. Keep in mind that the dsdt.aml file you´ll find is for my notebook. I don´t know if will work in another inspiron 1420, so you shouldn´t try it on another model.

still a no go - tried the slashack kexts too. im using a patched dsdt file, so i dont have to use the sleep trick anymore, but the closest i've come is external only qe/ci..

does it matter that my resolution is 1680x1050?

i heard some people were having trouble with the higher resolutions but i havent seen anything really detailed on my specific one.

also, would it help if i went up to 10.5.6? im on 10.5.3 right now..

still a no go - tried the slashack kexts too. im using a patched dsdt file, so i dont have to use the sleep trick anymore, but the closest i've come is external only qe/ci..

does it matter that my resolution is 1680x1050?

i heard some people were having trouble with the higher resolutions but i havent seen anything really detailed on my specific one.

also, would it help if i went up to 10.5.6? im on 10.5.3 right now..

You NEED sleep trick! That's the reason why your lcd is not working. Yo need 10.5.6 to use dsdt patch. Try pressing the power button and then 's' key. It will sleep, if it wakes up, you should have a working lcd.

The other method is to remove any x3100 driver, reboot, open system preferences, spaces, select a corner and use it for display sleeping. Then install x3100 kext, reboot, use the corner (i used to say i had to "{censored}" my inspiron 1420 to make it work ;) ).

What's your notebook model? I strongly recommend upgrading to 10.5.6. It works just perfectly on my dell.

it's an inspiron 1525 - here are the specs:

2.4Ghz Core2Duo T8300 (both cores working)

4GB RAM (fully appearing)

500GB internal SATA Western Digital HDD (triple booting xp / os x / ubuntu), using Chameleon

BD-RE / DVD+-RW / CD-RW Internal Drive (working)

x3100 (of course :/) @ 1680x1050x32 native ( NOT WORKING :angel: )

Bluetooth + intel 4695b/g/n + Dell TruMobile 1395 (bluetooth / dell works, intel doesn't, but thats why I bought the dell card)

Audio works as well as the SD card slot / audio / power display.

I'm almost to having a fully working set up. Just these graphics...

btw - tried your note of deleting the x3100 kexts, and using the sleep trick - still doesn't work, whether I patch DSDT or not. I will try upgrading to 10.5.6 and report on that once I can backup this image that is almost working!

it's an inspiron 1525 - here are the specs:

2.4Ghz Core2Duo T8300 (both cores working)

4GB RAM (fully appearing)

500GB internal SATA Western Digital HDD (triple booting xp / os x / ubuntu), using Chameleon

BD-RE / DVD+-RW / CD-RW Internal Drive (working)

x3100 (of course :/) @ 1680x1050x32 native ( NOT WORKING :) )

Bluetooth + intel 4695b/g/n + Dell TruMobile 1395 (bluetooth / dell works, intel doesn't, but thats why I bought the dell card)

Audio works as well as the SD card slot / audio / power display.

I'm almost to having a fully working set up. Just these graphics...

btw - tried your note of deleting the x3100 kexts, and using the sleep trick - still doesn't work, whether I patch DSDT or not. I will try upgrading to 10.5.6 and report on that once I can backup this image that is almost working!

In which step does it fails?

1- Boot with -s

2- mount -uw /

3- mkdir /backup

4- mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA* /backup/

4.1- mv /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext /backup/

5- reboot

6- boot with -f

7- setup hot corner for display sleep.

8- install /backup/* using kexthelper

9- reboot

if it fails after 9, then try using another set of kexts in step 8, not the ones you removed.

If u upgrade to 10.5.6 then i can attach the one i'm using. They work perfectly.

updated to 10.5.5 for now - same problem but looking into doing the 10.5.6...

is there anything special i need to do for this update? the information seems sparse and scattered.

though i already cloned an image of my drive so I might just dive in and see if I can't get it up and running 10.5.6 anyway.

if 10.5.6 installs I will be installing your kexts! already have them on a thumb drive ;)

updated to 10.5.5 for now - same problem but looking into doing the 10.5.6...

is there anything special i need to do for this update? the information seems sparse and scattered.

though i already cloned an image of my drive so I might just dive in and see if I can't get it up and running 10.5.6 anyway.

if 10.5.6 installs I will be installing your kexts! already have them on a thumb drive ;)

I installed iatkos from scratch. With efiv9 and the /extra folder. It was really easy.

I made two partitions: one for Leopard and the other for my home folder, so i can install everything from scratch without loosing any data.

I installed iatkos from scratch. With efiv9 and the /extra folder. It was really easy.

I made two partitions: one for Leopard and the other for my home folder, so i can install everything from scratch without loosing any data.

got it. updated to 10.5.6, no problems other than losing wifi / etc but had that all back up and running soon.

however even with your kexts this still isnt working for me. the only thing i can think of now is that im using chameleon?

i will try switching to pc_efi v9 and see if it makes any difference but i dont think thats it.

just for info -

when i use your kexts - i get my internal display to come up - but it stays at the blue screen and will not load any farther..

EDIT

Alright update: installed pc_efi v9 - nothing has changed.

I think now however that it might not be related to video drivers.. maybe/maybe not.

@slash when i use your kexts - both my internal and external monitor turn on - get to the blue screen, the display brightness changes a little - but then the system hangs at that point. maybe it isnt the graphics kexts?

using a verbose boot - i see a lot of VID: no matching buffer exists (or something along those lines)

the only other graphics type line i see follows the format of VID: xxxx but says display: xxxx instead.

this is really stumping me.

my x3100 is revision 0x000c, and has the 384 or w/e ram, though it only shows up on mac as 144mb - could this be the problem?

I havent heard from anyone who has it working on that revision or at my resolution..

just trying to cover all the bases.

nevermind - finally got it working.

turns out for the 1680x1050 screens, the x3100FB needs to be different (as well as the regular kexts too)

but it works without natit. :]

i ended up using one of the version 24+ FB kexts, and the rest were the default 10.5.6 x3100 kexts. i was so determined to use the FB that everyone says works (18.7 or something like that), that i never considered it an option.

thanks for all your help slashack. I'd still like to throw you a few bucks for the effort and time you spent helping me. i can paypal some over if you PM me where to send it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys i just got me a new vaio VGN-FZ39VN and i'ver tried to install most of the distros and no luck can one of u just post what options did u pick up for a fresh instal( if im not asking too much) just a brief one:

my laptop specs r:

intel core 2 duo T8100 centrino

HDD 200gb, 2gb ram

mobile intel graphics x3100

My screen just go white after instal n reboot

thx in advance

no luck with my laptop Dell Latitude D830 X3100 with iPC 10.5.6 (PPF5 final) :). i wonder if anyone has a success story for D830 + 10.5.6 to share.

my system is:

* GL960 GMAX3100 [8086:2a02] (rev 0c)

* BIOS revision A14 (latest).

* LCD 1920 x 1200.

the parsed EDID of the LCD from ubuntu follow as reference:

# EDID version 1 revision 3

Section "Monitor"

# Block type: 2:0 3:f

# Block type: 2:0 3:fe

Identifier "SEC:5532"

VendorName "SEC"

ModelName "SEC:5532"

# DPMS capabilities: Active off:no Suspend:no Standby:no

Mode "1920x1200" # vfreq 60.013Hz, hfreq 74.117kHz

DotClock 167.800000

HTimings 1920 2020 2052 2264

VTimings 1200 1202 1208 1235

Flags "-HSync" "-VSync"

EndMode

EndSection

i think i tried almost all the methods i could find in this thread, with or without Natit.kext. i also tried EFI strings and DSDT, using the dual-screen method in thread "HOW TO - INTEL GMA X3100 FULLY working!With Dual Monitor!, without sleep trick on SONY VAIO VGN CR220e, Thats REAL". still, the built-in LCD is either dark of just showing scramble images.

the best result so far was to use the vanilla kexts comes with iPC 10.5.6 PPF5 final (version 1.5.36.25). the external display could show the desktop. finder was running and both displays were detected. i could launch the "System Preferences" into the external display and set the resolutions. but the built-in LCD still refuse to show anything even with the sleep-screen hot-corner trick. install or remove Natit.kext doesnt help here.

i tried replacing AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext with the 1.5.24.9. it was the same as 1.5.36. but if i replaced both 3100.kext and 3100FB.kext with the 1.5.24.9 versions, finder would not start and the external display would be just grey. seem like the finder was blocked indefinitely at initialization.

using the older 1.5.18.7 didnt help either. the behavior was kind of random. sometimes it totally blanked out and sometimes i could see only the mouse pointer in the built-in LCD and the rest of the screen was black. and often after some tries my screen background picture was cleared out. by this i mean that even if i boot up without any of the GMAX drivers (so it will fall back to default VESA), no background picture will be shown.

also loaded up the chameleon with DSDT support and added my own DSDT.aml following the instructions given in this thread. the DSDT was in effect 'cause i could see the VID2 never showed up in the boot up messages with the updated dsdt.aml. but that didnt help with the display either.

one thing i realized from the IOREG dump was that the built-in LCD has a IODisplayConnectFlags = 00 08 00 00, which is different from the working external display which is 0. i dont really know if this is the culprit or not. and how to fix it if it is the problem.

thanks very much for your info.

- lt