Apple Developer one of us?

King Macintosh

28 posts in this topic

lol @ the 3rd guy on that thread

OS X is powerful and needs a powerful and hardware optimized machine. Most PC's are NOT hardware optimized but uses the cheapest of cheapest BS hardware. Many chose to build their PC's from scratch making them prone to multiple errors...

hahahaha, i built my pc from scratch and i haven't had a crash with it even on vista

I bet in a few days we will see a press release stating OS X for PC's, and that Apple supports jailbreaking iPhones/iTouch. NOT. That will get deleted, he is stating something that has been said over and over by 1/2 the community here. They don't care. I like having Apple hardware, honestly the OS runs like a dream on my Macbook, and its a amazing laptop. I don't want to see a dell being sold with OS X, I just don't.

And I am not against the OSx86 project, I have OSx86 installed on my desktop, but once you own the Apple hardware, it grows on you and you realize why its hardware exclusive.

From a business point of view, it makes no sense for Apple ot release OS X for non Macs. That's why I will never own a Mac Desktop (cept for my trusty ol' PPC mini).

Actually, from a business point of view, Apple allowing OS X to be sold and installed on non-Apple hardware would allow them to make a financial killing. Money from support contracts and per-incident charges is nothing but pure gravy for the most part for any company.

Apple could very easily appease both sides of the aisle by saying that if you want to be "guaranteed" the authentic, real, complete Apple experience then the only way to do that is by buying an authentic, warrantied and supported genuine Apple product.

However, if you'd simply like to use the superior Apple OS X and are more daring and experimental, then here is the list of hardware that Apple says will work because they have tested it. If you want to build your own machine using those parts, then it should work all well and good, but since it's not a genuine Apple product, they can't guarantee it.

And if you have problems with your custom build, you can still contact Apple, but it's on a pay-per-incident basis and Apple doesn't guarantee a solution since it's non-Apple badged hardware.

This would allow more people to get their hands on the Apple OS, move more people over to actual Apple hardware once they decide they like the Apple experience and also allow Apple to rake in coin on support incidents.

Just my thoughts though and I'm definitely biased knowing how much hardware costs and what Apple is charging for their product.

Apple should get together with Intel to make a series of low to mid level roll your own mobo+CPU kits. If Apple did that and beefed up their Mac mini's they'd take more of the low end market without cannibalizing their other computer models. Oh, and coming up with an OSX equivalent to DX10 wouldn't hurt either. :thumbsup_anim:

Oh, and coming up with an OSX equivalent to DX10 wouldn't hurt either. ;)

You mean Quartz Extreme, Quartz 2D Extreme, Core Image, Core Animation, coupled with OpenGL 2.1 doesn't do it for you?

World of Warcraft runs so much better and smoother with OpenGL 2.0, QE/CI on my Hack than it does with Windows and DX9.0c, so that should say a lot even if it's not DX10...

Apple releasing OS X for non-Macs or releasing a bare-bones kit would kill Apple. People who say it would be a good thing for them don't understand why Apple has survived for 30 years. It is not the OS. It is not the hardware. It is not the case designs. It's the whole package. Just making your product available to more people doesn't mean you will make more money, and it doesn't mean your products will become more popular.

This is an old video, but this is what Apple is about - http://youtube.com/watch?v=ctjNrCThQNc

If they were to sell OS X for use on PCs, they'd start requiring a registration number just like Windows (the only reason OS X doesn't have one now is because with the exception of the few Hackintoshes out there, they know that anyone installing OS X already had a license).

I sense a Microsoft fanboy hiding in our fourm. Ahh he uses IE! haha

I own both an Acer laptop (running Windows Vista, and a Macbook Pro, and I enjoy using both of them for different reasons. In that respect, I'd hardly call myself a fanboy, for either company. I was just making a valid point about how both technologies work.

Also, I use Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista because it operates in a sandbox with heavy restrictions, thus any malicious software downloaded during my regular surfing doesn't have the chance to infect the system. Prior to Vista, I used Firefox on XP.

Although, I'm not sure why somebody would laugh at something so trivial...

Also, I use Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista because it operates in a sandbox with heavy restrictions, thus any malicious software downloaded during my regular surfing doesn't have the chance to infect the system. Prior to Vista, I used Firefox on XP.

just because it's not as much of a malware/virus vector anymore doesn't mean it's any good now.

If they were to sell OS X for use on PCs, they'd start requiring a registration number just like Windows (the only reason OS X doesn't have one now is because with the exception of the few Hackintoshes out there, they know that anyone installing OS X already had a license).

I suppose they still lose quite some money when people "borrow" OS X from a friend instead of buying it (I am talking about upgrades).

I like to believe that Apple avoids registration numbers and activations because they are so hated in the Windows world.

I suppose they still lose quite some money when people "borrow" OS X from a friend instead of buying it (I am talking about upgrades).

I like to believe that Apple avoids registration numbers and activations because they are so hated in the Windows world.

Most of their commercial software does use serial numbers (OS X Server, Final Cut Pro, etc). It's mainly the stuff that comes bundled with computers that doesn't have serial numbers (new versions can be seen as an upgrade to an existing license).

Actually, from a business point of view, Apple allowing OS X to be sold and installed on non-Apple hardware would allow them to make a financial killing. Money from support contracts and per-incident charges is nothing but pure gravy for the most part for any company.

Apple could very easily appease both sides of the aisle by saying that if you want to be "guaranteed" the authentic, real, complete Apple experience then the only way to do that is by buying an authentic, warrantied and supported genuine Apple product.

However, if you'd simply like to use the superior Apple OS X and are more daring and experimental, then here is the list of hardware that Apple says will work because they have tested it. If you want to build your own machine using those parts, then it should work all well and good, but since it's not a genuine Apple product, they can't guarantee it.

And if you have problems with your custom build, you can still contact Apple, but it's on a pay-per-incident basis and Apple doesn't guarantee a solution since it's non-Apple badged hardware.

This would allow more people to get their hands on the Apple OS, move more people over to actual Apple hardware once they decide they like the Apple experience and also allow Apple to rake in coin on support incidents.

Just my thoughts though and I'm definitely biased knowing how much hardware costs and what Apple is charging for their product.

Steve Jobs has been constantly heard quoting "The best software Developers develop their own Hardware" hence never till Jobs is alive will Apple OS X be available on non Apple hardware. I believe Apple is benefiting from Ipod and Iphone allot, people are switching because of that, in-fact trying to install

OS X on a non Apple Computer got me hating Apple OS X. I think Apple is a more of a Hardware company who just happen to have the best OS out there.

Hence there target is not selling OS X but instead the hardware, the OS is just a part of The package, Apple is because of its hardware, Apple is back because of Hardware like iPod and iPhone, it has been the best technological decision of the 21th century to keep OS X to Apple Hardware. Specially now, since we have features like iChat, Coverflow and Photobooth which are definitely mac specific. I will never buy any other Hardware ever, frankly because there is no combination of Software and Hardware(Including Hackintosh on Pc's) that compares to my iMac.... none... no computer that I would find awesome enough to buy, I would rather buy a expensive Mac than those ugly looking boxes that have no artistic value and they make OS X look and feel and operate like a lousy OS. Overall Mac is never allowing OS X on Non Apple Hardware....Period

Regards,

Madhur.

That video is interesting. So mac computers don't need to get plugged? And having documentation is a bad thing???

They showed every cable being plugged into the iMac. Having documentation is good -- needing to refer to it during setup is bad.

They showed every cable being plugged into the iMac. Having documentation is good -- needing to refer to it during setup is bad.

Wow, the PC guy took 20 extra minutes to plug the screen and the speakers. Exactly the same time he'd spend setting up anything but an all-in-one computer like the iMac... for instance, a G5.

Wow, the PC guy took 20 extra minutes to plug the screen and the speakers. Exactly the same time he'd spend setting up anything but an all-in-one computer like the iMac... for instance, a G5.

To match the current imac's feature set on a desktop pc you'd have to plug in the screen, speakers, a webcam, IR receiver, keyboard and mouse. With the imac it's just the power, keyboard and mouse, with mac laptops it's not even that. It makes a strong case for all-in-ones in general and the imac specifically, which is what apple markets the most.

and the powermac/mac pro isn't a really fair comparison since it's not marketed to consumers. anyone setting up a business workstation is being paid to do so and the initial setup time is more worthwhile, pc or mac.

now you can argue about the mac mini, but apple doesn't really market it at all.

To match the current imac's feature set on a desktop pc you'd have to plug in the screen, speakers, a webcam, IR receiver, keyboard and mouse. With the imac it's just the power, keyboard and mouse, with mac laptops it's not even that. It makes a strong case for all-in-ones in general and the imac specifically, which is what apple markets the most.

I see no IR receivers nor webcams in the video. The guy takes 20 extra minutes to plug the screen and speakers and turn the thing on.

BTW, i think other companies make laptops too!!

and the powermac/mac pro isn't a really fair comparison since it's not marketed to consumers..

But it's a desktop computer too, if you want to a fair comparisson, you should have 2 all-in-ones or 2 desktops. And i hope powermacs come with a bit of documentation so guys like the PC guy on this video know where to plug what!

anyone setting up a business workstation is being paid to do so and the initial setup time is more worthwhile, pc or mac

Anyone setting up business workstation should get the job done in a couple minutes or search for another job

now you can argue about the mac mini, but apple doesn't really market it at all.

they sell it the same, why no video comparing iMac vs Mac mini? Setting up time is only a bad thing if you have a PC?

Don't get me wrong here, it's not that i don't say that an iMac is more practical for someone who has no idea on how to assemble a computer, it's just that i hate the way many Apple ads twist things.