650 and 680i chipset thread...

JaE-V

931 posts in this topic

Is SATA really read-only? I just realized my two sata drives are formatted NTFS so they're read only anyways... but I never tried...

yea i can only read ntfs partitions in sata....i played around with it and hfs formatted and FAT32 formatted a sata drive and my system wouldnt boot

Some new updates:

1. You can get audio working in a much better state than before using AppleHDA Patcher 1.17 (attached to the post). It will enable microphone input and digital out, although all stereo, not 5.1/7.1.

2. The shutdown problem can be fixed by updating to 10.5.1 9b18 with the mach_toh kernel. Here are the instructions:

Thanks for the instructions on 10.5.1.

Up and running 10.5.1 beautifully with my processor correctly recognized.

post-147013-1195727058_thumb.png

hi,

i install MacOS 10.5 with the simple Image (http://anonym.to/?http://thepiratebay.org/....5_from_windows).

When i try to boot now i see the Screen with the apple in the middle and then restart. :) When i try to boot with -v the thing - restart.

My system

MSI 650-fi-sli

8800gts

4gb ram

intel 6600

1 ide for mac

2 sata raid for windows

2 sata for data

Perhaps you have an idea.

thx

Sven

weird, I have a quad core all enabled. I have tried 9.1.0 kernels (sleep and toh) with 10.5.1, everything functions fine except for the 4 cores. I can get max 1 core running. Any ideas? I have tried cpus=1, cpus=2, cpus=4 and only 1 worked. Q6600 on nforce 680i. Jas->TohRC2

First of all: are your NOT working or just NOT being shown in About this Mac and System Profiler?

Run ~/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor and see how many cores are getting activity. If you're really not getting any traffic over the other 3 cores we have a problem - otherwise its just a display glitch and its not a big deal.

I appreciate the help. The activity monitor only shows one core. I'm running the mach_sleep 9.1.0 kernel. Do you have any other ideas? I My system profiler said 3400mhz Unknown before but I changed the AppleSMBios so I can use adobe photoshop etc. Now it says its 200mhz with 4 gb of ram lol. Any ideaS?

Some new updates:

1. You can get audio working in a much better state than before using AppleHDA Patcher 1.17 (attached to the post). It will enable microphone input and digital out, although all stereo, not 5.1/7.1.

2. The shutdown problem can be fixed by updating to 10.5.1 9b18 with the mach_toh kernel. Here are the instructions:

• First, switch to the new 9.1.0 kernel. Don't overwrite the old mach_kernel with the new file, instead edit your boot.plist to point to /mach_toh.
  • Download the standalone installer for 10.5.1 and install it using Pacifist, excluding the following files:
    /mach_kernel
    /System/Library/Extensions/
    AppleACPIPlatform.kext
    AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
    ApplePS2Controller.kext
    AppleSMBIOS.kext
    dsmos.kext
    IOATAFamily.kext IOAHCIFamily.kext
    AppleAC97Audio.kext 
    AppleAHCIPort.kext
    AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
    AppleVIA.kext 
    AppleVIAATA.kext
    IOHDIXController.kext 
    IONetworkingFamily.kext 
    NVDANV10HAL.kext
    NVDANV20HAL.kext
    NVDANV30HAL.kext
    NVDANV40HAL.kext
    NVDANV50HAL.kext
    NVDAResman.kext
    GeForce.kext

• Reboot and enjoy!

@sinewave: <string>mach_toh cpus=2</string> is wrong. Don't add cpus=2 to your plist at all, juust remove cpus=1, as cpus=2 is a boot option you can enter after entering the Darwin boot loader menu using F8. Also, don't add mach_toh to the kernel flags, instead replace "mach_kernel" with "mach_toh" under the line "<key>Kernel</key>" (not under "<key>Kernel Flags</key>"!). The way you did it, the kernel's command line will be "/mach_kernel -/mach_toh -cpus=1 =cpus=2", while what we want is simply "/mach_toh", or maybe "/mach_toh -"Graphics Mode"="XXXXxYYYYxBBxRR" -v".

@thevoidzwb: The workaround is to update the kernel to 9.1.0. (It may or may not work, I can't test because I have a Celeron 440, or "Core 2 Solo" as I call it.) Here is the kernel, or if it's removed because it's against the rules, then you can find it on the osx86.hu IRC in the room "10.5".

Ok..... :( good thing i knew where to go to edit the boot.plist "com.boot.plist" but i've never used pacifist and im lost, how do you exclude files?

open pacifist select a package with teh first option. Select everything except the files that he mentioned and press extract to default location and write in your password and your good to go. Anyone fix the cpu issue yet?

hmmm, maybe ill try again, i really just couldnt find those options to de-select certain portions

picture1vg4.png

see? maybe im missing something :P

Also guys after a little bit of testing things out for myself on the install, i've found out however that i could boot without post patching but it left me with no audio and one core, processor detected as core 2 solo with no audio support right away....

After applying the post patch i get both cores working with audio as well right off the back im thinking its maybe the kernel solitian supplied me with not sure

At first i just selected all of the individual folders in root except for System and the mach_kernel file. and made it install to default location. I used the windows key to select the packages that had to be installed which is all of them except for mach_kernel and System/Library/Extensions/Thefilesthatwerementioned.kext. Thats it and then u just change the kernel. Can I try the kernel that u had with the 2 cores? Atm i only have 1 core I want to see if it fixes it. Thanks.

At first i just selected all of the individual folders in root except for System and the mach_kernel file. and made it install to default location. I used the windows key to select the packages that had to be installed which is all of them except for mach_kernel and System/Library/Extensions/Thefilesthatwerementioned.kext. Thats it and then u just change the kernel. Can I try the kernel that u had with the 2 cores? Atm i only have 1 core I want to see if it fixes it. Thanks.
eeek sounds really confusing lol...Here are the files postinstall instructions included

Yea, i have no idea here with the pacifist thing lol sick of trying

you using toh jae-v? i didnt really need the postpatch to make it work. Im scared of messing up the install for support for more cores hehe. Did u follow all the steps exactly? :) Im thinking of skipping some hehe

Yup, did a clean install of 10.4.8 with nothing loaded, only system essentials...

Installed the ToH image directly over it with the core disabled...

Tried booting without using the postpatch since i had heard about it here

That led me to having no audio and cpu detected as core 2solo...

Then i booted into an old tiger install ran the postpatch with the files in that package i linked

Shut down, enabled the core, booted into leo perfectly fine, both cores and audio

jae-v, thanks a lot! u ahve solved my problems!!! Running on 10.5.1 and dual core works and also quad core!!! I didnt run the postpatch I just overwrote the kexts except for the sound because it already works. I copied everything except the audio kexts and dsmos: do i need dsmos or whateveR? i dont know what it does but my core issues are solved! Thanks a ton! everything works perfectly now. Hmm tried quadcore and it works perfectly. No biggie will try it again :(. Can u test ur photoshop if it works? Edit: Ok I tested it, it didn't work so I replaced the AppleSMBios with something else and it shows 200 mhz on my system profiler which doesnt matter. It works though with 4 cores. With the sound: are you getting audio in etc? All I get is audio out in stereo but I guess thats all I need.

nothing, i can't install leo...i'm waiting for someone who success in it...

hi m8... I too have a striker extreme... Oh and I finally got Leopard working...

Our main problem is running a core 2 cpu...

On booting the toh dvd ...

F8 then -v -f cpus=1 .... If that doesnt work then u will need to use -x aswell

then once you get in the main menu select only the stuff you need...

I would first install jas 10.8 and upgrade to leo ...

that way it will boot with out needing to do anything further...

However , you will still need the -f cpus=1 to boot to leopard after...

I have a quad and have managed to boot to 2 cores using cpus=2 but it runs very rough..

When I work all out I will do a guide..

Cheer,

Paul (Kadmiff)

jae-v, thanks a lot! u ahve solved my problems!!! Running on 10.5.1 and dual core works and also quad core!!! I didnt run the postpatch I just overwrote the kexts except for the sound because it already works. I copied everything except the audio kexts and dsmos: do i need dsmos or whateveR? i dont know what it does but my core issues are solved! Thanks a ton! everything works perfectly now. Hmm tried quadcore and it works perfectly. No biggie will try it again :P. Can u test ur photoshop if it works? Edit: Ok I tested it, it didn't work so I replaced the AppleSMBios with something else and it shows 200 mhz on my system profiler which doesnt matter. It works though with 4 cores. With the sound: are you getting audio in etc? All I get is audio out in stereo but I guess thats all I need.
f :censored2: in awesome haha, congrats...i dont know what it is that made it work for me but it did as well....i should post those files on the first page...yea just audio out here, i here that the appleHDApatcher.kext fixes the input issues, i havent yet to try it.
hi m8... I too have a striker extreme... Oh and I finally got Leopard working...Our main problem is running a core 2 cpu...On booting the toh dvd ...F8 then -v -f cpus=1 .... If that doesnt work then u will need to use -x aswellthen once you get in the main menu select only the stuff you need...I would first install jas 10.8 and upgrade to leo ...that way it will boot with out needing to do anything further...However , you will still need the -f cpus=1 to boot to leopard after...I have a quad and have managed to boot to 2 cores using cpus=2 but it runs very rough..When I work all out I will do a guide..Cheer,Paul (Kadmiff)
you can get all your cores working with no boot flag, just read a few posts up

finally got imine to work - used mac.nub's 10.4.10 image released sometime in 10/07

no problems yet, except for no networking or sound. my wireless linksys card is identified

it looks supported - so I expect to be using it soon!!

here are my system specs

evga 680i

Q6600 (I had to disable 2 cores)

4GB

Nvidia 7600GT

installation went fine, but did encounter a few road bumps

here is how I overcame them

1. could not boot.

fix - had to use MBR not Guided in Disk Utility, seems obvious but I missed it at first.

2. various kernel panics

fix -Disabled unsupported hardware in BIOS, including extra cpus if you have a quad (I'm sure there's a fix to this)

you can see the errors if you press F8 prior to boot and enter -v -x at the prompt (verbose + safe mode).

3. Still having errors that prevent you from booting

fix - make sure you choose the right drivers and kernel - I selected intel nforce, the generic ones didn't work

for me.

4. Confusion

Fix- Research. Read, Read, Read - this will save you precious time when things go wrong.

Can someone running an EVGA 680i (or anyone else, really) post links to their network solutions? I know Jae-V uses a Belkin USB Wireless adapter but I just want to collect a short list of what works since my generic NIC doesn't work and neither does a USB -> Ethernet adapter I bought (even with the proper drivers installed) for $8. I just want to choose wisely before I drop another couple bucks on something that won't work. I'd prefer a wired connection but wireless is cool too if the price is right. :(

hi guys,

i've tried installing leopard on my 680i rig twice now, but i can't get the 10.5.1 update to install.

first, my system specs:

asus p5n32-e sli

core2duo e6700

2gb ddr2-800 ram

geforce 8800gts 640mb

1x 500gb seagate sata (for windows vista)

1x 30gb samsung pata (for leopard)

1x sata dvd-burner

realtek rtl8139-nic (works great btw)

installation went smoothly with -x -legacy cpus=1 (i used the ToH-RC2-DVD), had to do the manual bootfix, for some reason, the /usr/misc/script.sh didn't correctly fix the mbr for me, although it completed without error. i didn't have to disable anything in bios or disconnect the sata-drives, in fact, i installed leopard from my sata-dvd-burner.

the first time, i didn't do the postpatch, i had do boot with -legacy cpus=1, i got those nvinject-drivers to work (although marvin's amd utility didn't do anything for me, the first step failed and then i didn't have a cpuid.txt for the second step). then i wanted to install 10.5.1 update using the instructions from this thread, i got the mach_toh kernel, edited the boot.plist and then i tried using pacifist, where i think i did something wrong. i tried to exclude the mentioned files, but they weren't even all in the installer-package, i think that's kinda weird. the rest i installed to the default location, i always clicked replace when asked, i don't know if i should have clicked update when available. anyways, after that, everything was messed up, i couldn't start anything, only the dock was visible, finder wasn't started correctly i guess... unusable.

the second time i used the postpatch from this thread. with that kernel, i didn't need any boot-flags, my cpu was correctly recognized and audio worked. i wanted to use the old update routine (like from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9, backing up all the files mentioned here and copying them back after the update), but the 10.5.1 installer froze my system at 75%, after a reset, my mac os doesn't boot anymore (which doesn't surprise me), there's a panic in appleacpiplatform.kext. also, system version was shown as 9a581, so the update wasn't really installed anyways.

can anyone give me some advice? why weren't all those files mentioned here in the 10.5.1 installer package? since i'm completely new to mac-stuff, i could really use some more detailed instructions on updating to 10.5.1.

i want to thank everyone here for their great work so far. i wouldn't have gotten to where i am now without this great forum. after all i managed to get a fully working 10.5.0 install on this machine, i'd just like to get 10.5.1 working now.

cu and tia

henning