650 and 680i chipset thread...

JaE-V

931 posts in this topic

The update method is deprecated, use my guide instead. Also, you need Pacifist 2.5.1 to correctly read Leo packages. (Note that my guide also needs severe updating, just I don't really have time to do so.) The problem in your second case was that you ABSOLUTELY MUST use Pacifist for installing 10.5.1. It looks like the installer itself has a hardware lockout. (If you don't see the files to exclude, they are under the "Contenst of MacOSXUpd10.5.1.pkg" folder. There, select everything except the files I mentioned earlier this thread. Make sure you are on the Package contents tab, not the Resources.tab!)

The update method is deprecated, use my guide instead. Also, you need Pacifist 2.5.1 to correctly read Leo packages. (Note that my guide also needs severe updating, just I don't really have time to do so.) The problem in your second case was that you ABSOLUTELY MUST use Pacifist for installing 10.5.1. It looks like the installer itself has a hardware lockout. (If you don't see the files to exclude, they are under the "Contenst of MacOSXUpd10.5.1.pkg" folder. There, select everything except the files I mentioned earlier this thread. Make sure you are on the Package contents tab, not the Resources.tab!)

Ok, sorry but im going to need you to break this down for me from here...this is the file opened in 2.5.1:

picture1ht9.png

;) therez no drop down for the pkg and extracting it fails

hi,

thanks for the reply. the thing is, i did get the newest pacifist release (2.5.1) and i was in the package contents tab. but in the folder /System/Library/Extensions/, only some of the files you listed are there. i found all of the NVDA*.kexts, but a lot of the Apple*.kexts just weren't there. i deselected all of the files on the list that i could find in the package, but those weren't nearly all of them.

another thing: during the installation with pacifist, there are a lot of popups where i can choose to either keep the file or replace it with the new one, surely i have to click replace there. but then sometimes i can choose between keeping the old file, replacing it or updating it (i don't know the english captions of the buttons because i had changed the system language to german before the update). i clicked replace like with all the other files but i don't know if that was right or if it might have been the reason why the system was totally screwed afterwards.

my second attempt with the old update procedure was just a test anyways, now i know it won't work...

cu

Jae-v, did you ever manage to get forcedeth to work with the onboard lan on the evga 680i? anyone? Im using a wireless atheros and its really really slow lol.
havent tried it due to the fact that i have an ethernet card that works and the usb adapter...i searched around and it worked on some other nvidia chipsets so i though i'd post it so someone cold give it a shot
hi,thanks for the reply. the thing is, i did get the newest pacifist release (2.5.1) and i was in the package contents tab. but in the folder /System/Library/Extensions/, only some of the files you listed are there. i found all of the NVDA*.kexts, but a lot of the Apple*.kexts just weren't there. i deselected all of the files on the list that i could find in the package, but those weren't nearly all of them.another thing: during the installation with pacifist, there are a lot of popups where i can choose to either keep the file or replace it with the new one, surely i have to click replace there. but then sometimes i can choose between keeping the old file, replacing it or updating it (i don't know the english captions of the buttons because i had changed the system language to german before the update). i clicked replace like with all the other files but i don't know if that was right or if it might have been the reason why the system was totally screwed afterwards.my second attempt with the old update procedure was just a test anyways, now i know it won't work...cu
nvm
Ok, sorry but im going to need you to break this down for me from here...this is the file opened in 2.5.1:picture1ht9.png;) therez no drop down for the pkg and extracting it fails
Ok i guess what was mentioned is that you have to extract the pkg from the dmg you download then open the update pkg in pacifist...Now where's the check box?picture2hf7.png

@JaE-V: There is no checkbox, you need to select all files, then unselect them. (Click on "Contents", then Cmd+click on the files I listed. Cmd ends up on the Alt key on non-Apple keyboards.)

i dont have most of those apple files the only one i have is appleintegratedframbuffer, and all of the nvfiles and the geforce.kext...im using an apple keyboard, i apple-a select all, then apple click the ones i dont want such as the kernel and the extensions that i have....now what do i do? just hit extract or do i hit install to default directory?

Yes, not all of the files are actually in the package. Basically ANY of those files will break your install if it gets replaced. Only about half of them are actually being updated with this update (although with future updates others may be). Just make sure that nothing on that list is installed and you're good. At least I was...

hi,

finally i got 10.5.1 working, although i do have some issues with it.

first of all, the mach_toh-kernel only works with "cpus=1" for me, everything else won't boot at all. is there another kernel i could try?

and something weird with my rtl8139-nic: it seems to loose connection after a while. system profiler still shows that it has an ip and everything, but no connection is possible, no ping comes through, not even on my lan. but this was also on 10.5.0, so it's not 10.5.1 specific...

cu and thanks for the great guides!

hi,

finally i got 10.5.1 working, although i do have some issues with it.

first of all, the mach_toh-kernel only works with "cpus=1" for me, everything else won't boot at all. is there another kernel i could try?

and something weird with my rtl8139-nic: it seems to loose connection after a while. system profiler still shows that it has an ip and everything, but no connection is possible, no ping comes through, not even on my lan. but this was also on 10.5.0, so it's not 10.5.1 specific...

cu and thanks for the great guides!

same here! kernel is {censored} lol, cannot boot with both cores now....im gonna check and see if its possible to use my old one with 10.5.1 will report back

I found that you can alleviate the need of installing Tiger all together and install leopard fresh like this;

1) Boot up to the JaS dvd and use it to partition your disk.

2) After that, boot up to leopard and install onto the newly created partition.

3) Reboot

This solves the problem of leopard not booting after partitioning and installing with the ToH DVD. There is a problem with the way the diskutil on the ToH creates partitions, it creates a partition, but it's not bootable. I have had a problem with some kernel panics when trying to boot for the first time. For some reason you have to replace your kernel a couple of times for it to boot. (Don't know why.) Once you get it to boot up and you get to the "Transfer files from another mac screen" it will start looping. So you need to use these flags to get around it. -x -v "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32"

After that, you can get in and create an account, install graphics drivers and patch it. I can see that most of you have already got leopard up and running, so you may not need this. But eventually you will. So when the next time comes to reinstall leopard, just remember you don't have to install over Tiger. Good Luck, Solotitan

Edit: Just did a fresh install without tiger on my 680i and applied the 10.5.1 patch and the Brazil mac patch, rebooted and have both cores, all is good in the world of Hackintosh! A big thanks to every one that made this possible!

screengrabtr0.th.png

If you are having dual/quad-core problems, apply the BrazilMac postpatch. That should take care of it.

Yea i just rolled my kernel back to the one i was using that gave me both cores now im up and running on 10.5.1 with cores enabled, but i trashed my video drivers in the process somehow, im looking for the original NVDAResman.kext does anyone have it or know how i can extract it from the disk?

Jae-v use pacifist, just press teh 3rd button that says use install cd and pop in the toh cd. Go to one of the first folders that it lists or something. It should be in essentials. hehe I dont remember. I just extracted it to the desktop but u can use pacifist.

Ok ok,

I finally got Leopard 10.5.1 running on my eVga 680i :angel:

This guide is only aimed for people that have the exact same mobo as me (brand and model). It will also mostly work if you have a nForce 680i chipset with a different brand mobo.

(Restart, Shutdown, About this Mac, Sound, Graphics, etc... all work perfectly for me!)

Had a lot of difficulties with the graphic card but finally got through.

Only problem I got is getting my onboard LAN to work with 2 cores running (only works with 1), somehow, it works fully with 2 cores on some 680i mobo but from other brands.

/// TOOLS & FILES USED FOR MY COMPUTER SETUP ///

- Tiger 10.4.8 DVD JaS release

- Leopard DVD ToH RC2 release

- The Leopard 10.5.1 update available from Apple's website

- Pacifist 2.1

- a USB Key to transfer most of the files below

- Latest_NVinject.0.1.5-Leo.zip from http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php for my Nvidia 7300GT graphic card

- the Leopard Post Install files (link was provided by JaE-V at this post)

- Marvin's AMD Utility

- Ethernet Driver for Marvell 88E1116 from MikeInNs for onboard LAN (will only work with 1 core enabled if you're using an eVGA 680i <--- for now at least)

- Realtek ALC885 Sound Drivers from MikeInNs but use his dump file with the AppleHDAPatcher v1.17 instead of v1.16 (ALC885 is only proper to eVGA 680i, you probably have a different one if you have a different brand mobo)

- Make sure to have all the files on your USB key.

/// INSTALLING LEOPARD 10.5.0 ///

1/ Run the Tiger 10.4.8 Jas version DVD.

2/ Do not install yet, run the Disk Utility 1st and create 2 partitions (I named the 1st one "tiger" and the 2nd one "leo")

3/ Install Tiger on the partition of your choice, preferably the 1st partition to avoid any potential boot problem.

4/ Once installed, make sure you can boot on your new Tiger installation properly (select the stuff you need to make it work).

There's no point procceding if you can't even get your Tiger install to work as we will need it for after. If you can't get it to work, then I suggest you try installing Leopard directly using NetRoller3D's tutorial. Or you can maybe try to just create a single partition with the Jas DVD and then install Leo on that newly created partition, that will save you from having to install Tiger, but I haven't tried it so... but this method seemed successful for Solotitan.

/5 Ok, once you know you can boot on your new tiger install, reboot on the Jas DVD and reinstall Tiger on the 2nd partition.

For this install, only select the Intel Jas Patch (you know, you got the choice between the AMD or Intel one. Select the Intel one of course). Do not select anything else! We don't really care if this Tiger install will boot or not as we'll install Leo over it after, so don't panic if you can't boot on it (I couldn't if that can make you feel better xD)

6/ As soon as Tiger finished installing, I rebooted in my BIOS to disable 1 core and disable my SATA controller (as I have 2 raids setups of 2 HDD each, I didn't really want these drives to interfer with the install process, maybe I didn't have to but hey, I prefered to play safe)

(in BIOS > Advanced Chipset Features > CPU Configuration, Disable everything except "Virtualization Technology"

then to disable your SATA controller go to BIOS > Integrated Peripherals > IDE Function Setup, Disable "Serial-ATA Controller")

7/ I then popped in the Leopard DVD (ToH RC2 release) and booted on the DVD using the -x flag.

8/ Installed Leo over Tiger by unselecting everything (only the 1st greyed option was checked). I installed it on the 2nd partition (the one I couldn't boot on).

9/ I then rebooted (took off the DVD 1st). I spammed F8 on my keyboard to make sure I could boot on my new Leo install with the -x flag (without the -x flag i couldn't). The boot was a success. I entered the registration stuff, etc... and there I was. Of course I was in safe mode, but at least it was a good sign.

10/ I then rebooted on my Tiger installation to apply the Post Install files. If you're a good boy. The post install files should already be in your USB key and plugged in to your computer ;) Within your Tiger install, extract the "Golden.zip" (its where al the post install files are) file on your Desktop. Unzipp it on your desktop, that should give you a folder called "Golden". There are 5 things in it: "9a581-patch.sh", "9a581PostPatch.sh", "files", "leopatch" and "readme". Put these 5 things on your desktop.

Then simply follow the instructions in the "readme" file (make sure to hit no when it asks you to remove the powermanagement kext).

11/ Reboot in your BIOS and enable your 2nd core ( BIOS > Advanced Chipset Features > CPU Configuration > CPU Core 1, Enabled).

12/ Boot into your leopard partition by still using the flag -x

/// INSTALLING THE VIDEO DRIVERS ///

13/ For this part I am just going to cover the video card drivers installation as it's a bit tricky.

For the LAN and sound drivers, you can easily install them by following the instructions on their driver page linked at the beginning of this post.

Just remember to use the sound driver with the v1.17 of the AppleHDAPatcher (linked at the beginning of this post as well) as the patcher is optimized for Leopard.

14/ At this point I assume you already installed all the drivers you need except your graphic cards'.

Now, 1st you have to open the Terminal application.

In the Terminal type:

"sudo -s"

"cd /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions"

"mkdir backup"

"mv NVDAResman.kext backup"

15/ Reboot, but this time with the -v flag. If everything's good, you should be able to boot on Leopard without Kernel panics.

If you get a kernel panic, then you did something wrong. Check out what it is. You then probably didn't install one of your drivers right, or maybe one of your drivers doesn't work on Leo, I don't know.

16/ Once I successfully booted in my Leopard partition, I installed the NVinject driver (here's a how-to). I rebooted once I installed it.

17/ You should see no difference yet. You need to know your graphic card's device ID.

To know that, open System Profiler and find out the device ID of your card.

18/ Once you know it, open Terminal, use the command "sudo -s" or "sudo bash" to go superuser, then then execute the following command:

"cd /System/Library/Extensions/NVDA"type of your VGA"Hal.kext/Contents; nano info.plist"

("type of your VGA" is NV10 for GeForce 2 and possibly GeForce 4 MX, NV20 for GeForce 3 and maybe 4, NV30 for GeForce FX, NV40 for GeForce 6 and 7, and NV50 for GeForce 8, which will require NVInject, as Natit doesn't support G80).

19/ Go to the line with lots of device IDs (under "IOPCIPrimaryMatch") and remove all of them so that only "" remains.

20/ Type your device ID in the form "0x10de" (without quotes). I used a GeForce 7300GT and I got 0x0393 from System Profiler, so I had to enter 0x039310de.

21/ Press Ctrl+X, press Y, then Enter (Return).

22/ Type "cd ../../backup/NVDAResman.kext/Contents; nano info.plist", then do steps 19 to 21 again.

23/ Type "cd ../../../GeForce.kext/Contents; nano info.plist", and repeat steps 19 to 21, looking for "IOPCIMatch" this time. Don't close Terminal yet.

24/ Fire up Marvin's AMD utility. Choose the action "Patch all binaries", click Browse, navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/backup, click Select, and then click Run. It will fail, don't worry, this is normal. Don't close AMD Utility.

25/ hoose the action "Patch all cpuid's using cpuid file", deselect the "Simulation" and "Undo" checkboxes. Click the first Browse button, navigate to your desktop, and look for "AMD.Patch.Folder". Enter that folder, then go into the subfolder with the latest date/time in its name. Select cpuid.txt from that folder.

26/ Click the second Browse button, navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/backup, select the folder and click Run.

27/ Once CPUID patching is done (you can now close AMD Utility), go back to Terminal and type "cd /System/Library/Extensions/backup; cp -R NVDAResman.kext .."

28/ Then Execute the following commands:

"cd /System/Library/Extensions/"

"chown -R 0:0 NVDAResman.kext"

"chmod -R 755 NVDAResman.kext"

"rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext"

29/ You can now close Terminal and open the Disk Utility application to repair all permissions on your leo partition.

30/ Once repairing is done. Reboot on your leo partition without using any flags, it should boot correctly with your 7300GT fully recognized and working ;)

/// INSTALLING THE LEOPARD 10.5.1 UPDATE ///

31/ Install the Pacifist application.

32/ Mount your MacOSXupd10.5.1.dmg (that you downloaded from Apple's website) by just double-clicking it.

You will see that there's a file in it named "MacOSXupd10.5.1.pkg".

33/ Right-click it and choose "Open With Pacifist". Pacifist will open and will show you all the files/folders that are contained in the mac package file.

34/ Select and install everything except what is listed below:

/mach_kernel
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/IOHDIXController.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV10HAL.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV20HAL.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV30HAL.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40HAL.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50HAL.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext

35/ Reboot and Voila! Check your About This Mac, and it should display 10.5.1

It's a lot of reading I know, but that's what I had to go through to get mine working :rolleyes:

Thx again to all contributers to this thread, especially JaE-V who made the initiative to start it :unsure:

Disclaimer: What I did (my comp info is in my sig below) is simply combine JaE-V's advices and methods with NetRoller3D's tutorial.

Edited by weekender

I followed netrollers guide:

Some new updates:

1. You can get audio working in a much better state than before using AppleHDA Patcher 1.17 (attached to the post). It will enable microphone input and digital out, although all stereo, not 5.1/7.1.

2. The shutdown problem can be fixed by updating to 10.5.1 9b18 with the mach_toh kernel. Here are the instructions:

[*]First, switch to the new 9.1.0 kernel. Don't overwrite the old mach_kernel with the new file, instead edit your boot.plist to point to /mach_toh.

[*]Download the standalone installer for 10.5.1 and install it using Pacifist, excluding the following files:

/mach_kernel
/System/Library/Extensions/
AppleACPIPlatform.kext
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
AppleSMBIOS.kext
dsmos.kext
IOATAFamily.kext IOAHCIFamily.kext
AppleAC97Audio.kext 
AppleAHCIPort.kext
AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
AppleVIA.kext 
AppleVIAATA.kext
IOHDIXController.kext 
IONetworkingFamily.kext 
NVDANV10HAL.kext
NVDANV20HAL.kext
NVDANV30HAL.kext
NVDANV40HAL.kext
NVDANV50HAL.kext
NVDAResman.kext
GeForce.kext

[*]Reboot and enjoy!

@thevoidzwb: The workaround is to update the kernel to 9.1.0. (It may or may not work, I can't test because I have a Celeron 440, or "Core 2 Solo" as I call it.) Here is the kernel, or if it's removed because it's against the rules, then you can find it on the osx86.hu IRC in the room "10.5".

You have to use the latest pacifist 2.5.1! That kernel isnt gonna work for ya so after the install, re-run your post patch and you'll b set. Make sure you exclude those listed files if they apply in your extensions folder before running the 10.5.1 updater. There's something special about the kernel we're using so i assume we'll be using it with all the updates for cores and etc with future updaters. And excellent guide

And my photoshop apps are working but my final cut isnt :rolleyes: i guess i have to play around with the smbios.kext if im correct

I followed netrollers guide.

You have to use the latest pacifist 2.5.1! That kernel isnt gonna work for ya so after the install, re-run your post patch and you'll b set. Make sure you exclude those listed files if they apply in your extensions folder before running the 10.5.1 updater. There's something special about the kernel we're using so i assume we'll be using it with all the updates for cores and etc with future updaters.

And my photoshop apps are working but my final cut isnt :rolleyes: i guess i have to play around with the smbios.kext if im correct

Thx :angel:

Damn for Final Cut though, coz, that's the only reason I need a mac :unsure:

Thx :unsure:

Damn for Final Cut though, coz, that's the only reason I need a mac :rolleyes:

its a common problem, there definitely is a fix! lol you gotta show me how to use it, i just bought an hd camcorder

*edit* got it working it was due to the fact that my built in networking device didnt have the en0 name which is what final cut checks for....if its set to anything else, u get the crash. I just edited the networking plist accordingly in /Library/Preferences/Systemconfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist :angel:

Hi Again, yesterday i toally messed up my leo installation on my striker extreme e6600 gtx 8800 computer, everything was working fine, but i was runnin on core solo..

i tried to postpatch my installation, and i ve done something wrong for sure, and today i ve installed again leopard.

i ve used netroller's guide, but ive excluded the bootfix since i can boot straight after installation, i didnt install marvins amd neither, and i get a working

leopard installation again but with core solo, in my second attempt to enable core duo, y copied mach_toh, and canged apple.boot.plist to point to mac_toh, restarted my system and leopard now recognices it as core 2 duo, but i cant get to work my usb rt2500 wifi card... weird..

my xbench results excluidng disk test are 199 on core duo and 196 on core solo with my 2.4 cpu overclocked to 2.9

it's necesary to install marvin amd util? can i install it now that my sytem is running fine? i dont know the purpose for that

does anyone know why i cant use my wifi usb? its recognized unders system profiler but it doesnt power up no lights there...

what am i doing wrong to update to 10 5 1, i copied the kext from golden folder over my system library extensions. then repaired permissions

thanks all again

Jae-V: works fine no en0 here with final cut studio. I had to remove the Qmaster framework and everything worked. Photoshop works with a different smbios. Does anyone know if dsmos.kext is necessary? I don't have it installed in the extensions. I dont even know what it does.