650 and 680i chipset thread...

JaE-V

931 posts in this topic

Thats so awesome.

I really really want leopard!!!

Will I be able to follow your guide and do everything but video I wonder.

Will leopard boot like my Tiger does, with no video drivers?

yup, just make sure you -x -v and delete that nvresman kext and you'll b fine til you get your drives loaded

you should be able to get it working somehow 6800 right?

EVGA 6800 256mb PCI-e

vendor: 10DE

dev: 00C0

EDIT: Perhaps it would be best to go with the 512 8800GT for my home PC, run XP and Vista

Then grab my compaq v2670CA and try for leopard on it!

EVGA 6800 256mb PCI-e

vendor: 10DE

dev: 00C0

EDIT: Perhaps it would be best to go with the 512 8800GT for my home PC, run XP and Vista

Then grab my compaq v2670CA and try for leopard on it!

everyone has that 8800gt so i dont see a reason why there shouldnt be an installer for it soon....on that compaq im not sure, i have an old mobo with that same x200 ati chipset and i couldnt get anywhere on the installers :D but this was a while back

everyone has that 8800gt so i dont see a reason why there shouldnt be an installer for it soon....on that compaq im not sure, i have an old mobo with that same x200 ati chipset and i couldnt get anywhere on the installers :D but this was a while back

I was the same. i tried a JaS image in january and just ended up deleting everything.

I think I got into the install once.....

But ive actualy found light at the end of the tunnel on the 680i+6800GS in LEO

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry503276

I hope this topic will help me get going, there is a guy posted there with the same card as me....

SO, Do i install tiger again to get 2 running? one to overwrite with leo??

Or just use ToH on my current tiger... can I patch with windows?

everyone has that 8800gt so i dont see a reason why there shouldnt be an installer for it soon....on that compaq im not sure, i have an old mobo with that same x200 ati chipset and i couldnt get anywhere on the installers :( but this was a while back

You don't get the fact that Apple supply the drivers, do you? Kexts like Natit just emulate the EFI initialisation that allows those drivers to work. 8800GT is a new GPU. and until Apple's drivers support G92, 8800GT is going precisely nowhere in OSX86, or in Mac Pros.

I was the same. i tried a JaS image in january and just ended up deleting everything.I think I got into the install once.....But ive actualy found light at the end of the tunnel on the 680i+6800GS in LEOhttp://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry503276I hope this topic will help me get going, there is a guy posted there with the same card as me....SO, Do i install tiger again to get 2 running? one to overwrite with leo??Or just use ToH on my current tiger... can I patch with windows?
hey good find, hope that turns out well for ya, and i have no idea what your asking lol but yea you can patch with windows aparently dunno how tho
You don't get the fact that Apple supply the drivers, do you? Kexts like Natit just emulate the EFI initialisation that allows those drivers to work. 8800GT is a new GPU. and until Apple's drivers support G92, 8800GT is going precisely nowhere in OSX86, or in Mac Pros.
blaah blah, heard the same thing about all of the 8series cards...time will tell

When the NV50 kexts arrived, we knew G80 would be supported because it's device IDs were in the plist. G92's, unsuprisingly, are not. You're welcome to disassemble the binary and try and find any references to G92. You won't. There' no point in us even trying to do anything until the driver supports the GPU.

When the NV50 kexts arrived, we knew G80 would be supported because it's device IDs were in the plist. G92's, unsuprisingly, are not. You're welcome to disassemble the binary and try and find any references to G92. You won't. There' no point in us even trying to do anything until the driver supports the GPU.

you done yet with these obvious statements? lol all i was saying was that it could be possible in the future since the cards so popular dont have a heart attack or anything goodness....bye bye now

hey good find, hope that turns out well for ya, and i have no idea what your asking lol but yea you can patch with windows aparently dunno how tho

Was asking if I needed 2 running tiger installs?

If I can patch from windows then Ill assume that it removes the need for 2 tigers.

Was asking if I needed 2 running tiger installs?

If I can patch from windows then Ill assume that it removes the need for 2 tigers.

no you just need a running one to install over, and yes its possible to manually post patch the installation. just get all the files and read the post patch.sh file in text edit, see what it does and manually replace the files using macdrive in your windows installation....

no you just need a running one to install over, and yes its possible to manually post patch the installation. just get all the files and read the post patch.sh file in text edit, see what it does and manually replace the files using macdrive in your windows installation....

Sweeet!

Im gonna do it tonight...

Where can I download the post install patch, or did I miss something again....

pirates gulf maybe?

Was it brazilmacs?

In his guide he applys the patch to the image from within tiger...

should I do that then burn?

I dont know how to apply afterward.....

no need to apply a patch if you downloaded the ToH image your halfway done....just disable a core, run the installer then boot into windows and postpatch it....cant really help ya with the postpatch cause i did it a different way, u'll have to look it up from someone who's done it

no need to apply a patch if you downloaded the ToH image your halfway done....just disable a core, run the installer then boot into windows and postpatch it....cant really help ya with the postpatch cause i did it a different way, u'll have to look it up from someone who's done it

Now I understand why the ToH image was different then the GMA..

gotcha

and yea im gonn go setup a fresh 10.4.10 install.

Ill have 2, and ill install leopard onto my barebones new tiger and use my older tiger to patch

Now I understand why the ToH image was different then the GMA..

gotcha

and yea im gonn go setup a fresh 10.4.10 install.

Ill have 2, and ill install leopard onto my barebones new tiger and use my older tiger to patch

that'll b safer! you shouldnt have any problems at all....just follow the instructions in here and you'll b fine

that'll b safer! you shouldnt have any problems at all....just follow the instructions in here and you'll b fine

Th only problem is, creating a partition for my new install deletes my first.....

So i installed it to my ipod. I hope I can boot to it lol. Gonna have to put leo on my old tiger and use the USB tiger to patch it.

EDIT:

incredibly odd and scary moment there....

I install on USB and restart, I remove the disk and select removable drive as boot disk. Unabe to detect it.....

So I restart again and try booting into my existing tiger. Hangs on something Ive never seen before...

Reboot a third time to put in 10.4.10 disk and reinstall twice. BUT I cant open drive. Bios desnt detect DVD drive either....

So scarred. I turn off the power completely and wait a bit, steadying my breathing and collecting my nerves.

On the next power on the drive works... lol so random.

SO im gonna reinstall on my HD, twice. Creating a partition for each. Should be good right?

ALSO, is it possible to remove the tiger after leo is good and add the tiger part to leo?

MOTHER OF ALL EDITS:

Ok, so.

I installed tiger, twice. One one disk. This disk was accessible through chain0 in which I select Mac OS X then mash F8 to bring up darwin bootloader...

I actually REALLY like that config!

So I have them both running, without and kernal panics due to the removal of geforce and NVD kexts.

I pop in the ToH disk, install goes great no single cpu config. I select the tiger install that is first on the disk, it doesnt ask to overwrite or anything it just flys at it. Im assuming this is normal, and I didnt think that I was supposed to erase the partition or anything..... ???

I chose custumize and got rid of fonts and printers... everything else too. Left only the minimum.

It install, i reboot into my second partition, run the postpatch.sh

reboot again, this time into leopard....

And i notice that when selecting the leopard in darwin it runs disk1part2

which is my partition for tiger....

and the tiger runs disk1part2 (like it should)

so both darwine boot options are sending me to my second partition!! very odd...

Now its very late and Im off to bed, and Im assuming I can use a command upon selecting the first option (the one supposed to be leopard) to take me to disk1part1. So in the morning ill try this and be looking for a way to make this permenant. Just wanted to post here before I left.

This is getting even more exciting..... Cant wait!

Th only problem is, creating a partition for my new install deletes my first.....So i installed it to my ipod. I hope I can boot to it lol. Gonna have to put leo on my old tiger and use the USB tiger to patch it.EDIT:incredibly odd and scary moment there....I install on USB and restart, I remove the disk and select removable drive as boot disk. Unabe to detect it.....So I restart again and try booting into my existing tiger. Hangs on something Ive never seen before...Reboot a third time to put in 10.4.10 disk and reinstall twice. BUT I cant open drive. Bios desnt detect DVD drive either....So scarred. I turn off the power completely and wait a bit, steadying my breathing and collecting my nerves.On the next power on the drive works... lol so random.SO im gonna reinstall on my HD, twice. Creating a partition for each. Should be good right?ALSO, is it possible to remove the tiger after leo is good and add the tiger part to leo?MOTHER OF ALL EDITS:Ok, so.I installed tiger, twice. One one disk. This disk was accessible through chain0 in which I select Mac OS X then mash F8 to bring up darwin bootloader...I actually REALLY like that config!So I have them both running, without and kernal panics due to the removal of geforce and NVD kexts.I pop in the ToH disk, install goes great no single cpu config. I select the tiger install that is first on the disk, it doesnt ask to overwrite or anything it just flys at it. Im assuming this is normal, and I didnt think that I was supposed to erase the partition or anything..... ???I chose custumize and got rid of fonts and printers... everything else too. Left only the minimum.It install, i reboot into my second partition, run the postpatch.shreboot again, this time into leopard....And i notice that when selecting the leopard in darwin it runs disk1part2which is my partition for tiger....and the tiger runs disk1part2 (like it should)so both darwine boot options are sending me to my second partition!! very odd...Now its very late and Im off to bed, and Im assuming I can use a command upon selecting the first option (the one supposed to be leopard) to take me to disk1part1. So in the morning ill try this and be looking for a way to make this permenant. Just wanted to post here before I left.This is getting even more exciting..... Cant wait!
Just disconnect the tiger drive or change the config order such as swapping one for master and the other for slave just for the sake of booting up....make sure to boot your leo with the -x -v flags and once again you'll have to delete that nvresman file...and yes it doesnt really just say "upgrade" you just do it! your almost there
so any good news about leopard+680i ??maybe 2 cores working ?onboard LAN?hehehe....so many questions!im so hot about 680i+leo.....dont want to wait :(
did you read page 5? lol but yea both cores no lan yet

Just disconnect the tiger drive or change the config order such as swapping one for master and the other for slave just for the sake of booting up....make sure to boot your leo with the -x -v flags and once again you'll have to delete that nvresman file...and yes it doesnt really just say "upgrade" you just do it! your almost theredid you read page 5? lol but yea both cores no lan yet

They are both on one drive.

Both darwin boot selection load Disk1Part2

Leo = Disk1Part1

Tiger = Disk1Part2

Ill try again in a bit, gotta get some homework done :unsure:

Guys,

I managed to do the fresh install without any upgrading on my evga 680i + 8800gtx.

I had to use IDE HDD, IDE DVD rom and usb Ethernet.

You will need a USB Drive or folder on your other hard drives with the name PATCHER and all of the contents extracted from this zip file Post Patch

steps

1) Download TOH RC2 DVD.

2) Disable a core in your motherboard or boot with cpu=0 -x -v options by pressing F8 when Darwin bootloader starts.

3) Erase your IDE HDD for leopard with OS X Extended (Journaled) and install leopard on that partition.

4) After installation, you will have to make partition bootable (problem with TOH RC2). To do that

5) Boot again with the TOH RC2 install dvd and -x -v startup options.

6) Select your language and go to Utilities -> Terminal.

7) Now enter this commands in the terminal to make your partition bootable. (I found these commands in some other thread)

Replace $LEO, $PATCH, $DISK and $RAW with leopard volume path, USB drive or PATCHER directory location, diskXsx and rdiskXsx where X = Hard disk number and x = partition number)

In my case the values were,

PATCH="/Volumes/PATCHER" # path to the patched extensions

LEO="/Volumes/Leopard" # path to Leopard installation

RAW = "rdisk2s1"

DISK = "disk2s1"

a) diskutil list (You will see all the drives in your system in the output. find the disk number and partion number of your leopard installation for me it was disk2s1)

;) dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/$RAW bs=512 count=1

c) $PATCH/files/startupfiletool /dev/$RAW /usr/standalone/i386/boot

d) $PATCH/files/bless -device /dev/$DISK -setBoot -verbose

e) diskutil mount /dev/$DISK

f) $PATCH/files/bless -mount $LEO -setBoot -verbose

8) Now reboot. When booting first time use -x -v options. (Make sure you have disabled a core in Bios)

9) After this I was stuck on "Do you own a Mac?" screen. It was looping continously. I fould that it was a problem with the network card. So, I used a spare kensington dock i had and connected the network cable and on my next reboot everything went perfectly and I was inside leopard.

10) If you have 8800 series card then download mac.nub 0.1.3 easy installer for leopard from his website. I did that and my 8800gtx started wroking like a charm without any kernel panics.

Only thing not working at this point is sound and one core on 680i. May be some one can help me get that started.

Hope this helps someone.

I dont get it, why on earth would my darwin boot into tiger no matter which selection I make.

I did th post patch, and when I select Disk1s1 it takes me to tiger, and so does disk1s2

GAH

EDIT: Re did everything and it still boots to the second partition when selecting leo...

And the second partition is my tiger!

argh very frustrating!!

I dont get it, why on earth would my darwin boot into tiger no matter which selection I make.

I did th post patch, and when I select Disk1s1 it takes me to tiger, and so does disk1s2

GAH

EDIT: Re did everything and it still boots to the second partition when selecting leo...

And the second partition is my tiger!

argh very frustrating!!

you can avoid all this frustration by installing on to another actual hard drive or running the postpatch from a flash drive if you dont have a spare drive...just to avoid confusion