650 and 680i chipset thread...

JaE-V

931 posts in this topic

i've tried this:

1) install tiger and update to 10.4.10 and install the mac.nub drivers for 8x00 video cards.

2) use the ToH RC2 release to install Leopard, but the installation doesn't start...

3) now, i'm sad :)

TOH RC2 leopard installed fine for me after disabling a core and all SATA drive. But still it would not boot. Btw, I directly installed leopard on an IDE drive without installing Tiger. I hope somebody makes a nice tutorial about 680i and 8800 series card or better someone makes a special Leopard installation Image or DVD for us poor souls.

TOH RC2 leopard installed fine for me after disabling a core and all SATA drive. But still it would not boot. Btw, I directly installed leopard on an IDE drive without installing Tiger. I hope somebody makes a nice tutorial about 680i and 8800 series card or better someone makes a special Leopard installation Image or DVD for us poor souls.
what version of tiger did you install over??And i can now confirm that leo works very well with my 8800 on 680i, it is now my default os...very good xbench scores other than the hard-drive speedpicture1sb7.jpg
Performance isn't that bad for me on leopard, with one core on an E6600.
your correct, had a bad install corrected it now..it works very well

what version of tiger did you install over??

And i can now confirm that leo works very well with my 8800 on 680i, it is now my default os...very good xbench scores other than the hard-drive speed

picture1ut9.png

As I said, It was fresh install. No tiger isntalled. Installation completed without any errors. Just had to disable one core and SATA controller. Also had to boot with -x and platform=OSX86 flags. But somehow darwin does not come up when I try to boot from that IDE drive. Any suggestions?

As I said, It was fresh install. No tiger isntalled. Installation completed without any errors. Just had to disable one core and SATA controller. Also had to boot with -x and platform=OSX86 flags. But somehow darwin does not come up when I try to boot from that IDE drive. Any suggestions?

sorry if you read my comment back on page 3 but you must install over a previous installation due to the fact that the leo install doesnt contain the darwin bootloader needed to boot the installation....so you either have to do some research on manually installing the bootloader or re-install a tiger installation that boots, then leopard over that then-after and you'll b set, no need to disable sata! It automatically worked with my ToH install, just make sure you disable a core and on the first boot after the install of leo, flag it with -x -v...which will boot you into safe mode install the 0.1.3 installer for your 8800 from the macnub site and you'll b able to reboot after that into normal mode and your all set...audio works right off the back, but you'll need a network card as of right now thats compatible

sorry if you read my comment back on page 3 but you must install over a previous installation due to the fact that the leo install doesnt contain the darwin bootloader needed to boot the installation....so you either have to do some research on manually installing the bootloader or re-install a tiger installation that boots, then leopard over that then-after and you'll b set, no need to disable sata! It automatically worked with my ToH install, just make sure you disable a core and on the first boot after the install of leo, flag it with -x -v...which will boot you into safe mode install the 0.1.3 installer for your 8800 from the macnub site and you'll b able to reboot after that into normal mode and your all set...audio works right off the back, but you'll need a network card as of right now thats compatible

thanks...let me take the long route then...i will report my success or failure.

thanks...let me take the long route then...i will report my success or failure.

No prob! lol and thats what i had to do, couldnt get that darn bootloader installed but now im up and running well....good luck

so you guys are onliy running with 1 core under leopard?

yup, the performance is really great too, leopard really comes close to utilizing the full potential of my intel hardware....i cant wait to run this with both cores

yup, the performance is really great too, leopard really comes close to utilizing the full potential of my intel hardware....i cant wait to run this with both cores

It really sucks having this 6800

but the card Im gonna upgrade to is the 512 GT

and it doesnt work at all with osx.

lawl wut do i du?

lmao

Just booted with both cores

:Ppicture1vd6.jpg

It really sucks having this 6800but the card Im gonna upgrade to is the 512 GTand it doesnt work at all with osx.lawl wut do i du?lmao
lol i'd choose a card that works :D maybe a 7900, they're at a reasonable price....i was using a 7300 before i got my 8800 working
do you get any diskarb issues? how about sound is it still only 2 channel?
no and yes only two channel
Hi, could someone please report weather snes9x 1.51 works in fullscreen mode with Leopard on these chipsets with an 8800 series graphics cards. Many thanks :angel:
Works great man! I tested nba hangtime

picture2tx1.png

*in full screen mode as well

its easy, you just have to make sure you have two things most importantly...

working tiger install to run the post installation and an existing tiger installation to install over for the bootloader...

i found it better to install over a fresh 10.4.8 install with no extra tiger kexts added...

boot the ToH image, with core disabled if needed in -x -v mode, install directly over 10.4.8 with only essentials, uncheck everything else...

then after boot into for-mentioned working tiger install and run the post-patch....*there are alternate routes to run the post-patch, i just didnt use them, therefore cant help there*

-make sure PostPatch.sh is on your desktop and your username is correctly added to the file (in XXX spot) *verify with text edit..

-sudo -s and enter password

-"cd desktop"

-"./PostPatch.sh"

-watch it work, hit no when it asks you to remove the powermanagement kext

-hit y to reboot

-boot into leopard with -x -v complete the setup...run the 0.1.3 installer for your 8800 if ya have one...or install other means of graphics drivers *so that you can boot into leo upon reboot

-after install, reboot and you should be working with no flags needed

Ok, nevermind, I went ahead and installed uphuck 10.4.9 and its working except for network (as expected). I have what I figured was a generic, driverless network card but it says "There are no PCI cards installed on this computer" in System Profiler and it doesn't work. Am I missing something that I need to have installed for it to detect this card?

Just wanna know so that when my TOH download finishes I'll have network in leopard.

Ok, nevermind, I went ahead and installed uphuck 10.4.9 and its working except for network (as expected). I have what I figured was a generic, driverless network card but it says "There are no PCI cards installed on this computer" in System Profiler and it doesn't work. Am I missing something that I need to have installed for it to detect this card?

Just wanna know so that when my TOH download finishes I'll have network in leopard.

cant really give you a direct answer for that, im not sure! Mine kinda just works, and my roomate went out and bought one and his did as well. Just hold off on installing anything until you get leopard booted so you dont run into any kext issues...Leopard has better intel compatibility so it might just work. Im still looking into getting the onboard to work

Sounds good, thanks for a reply at all. What ethernet card are you using, just incase I do run into trouble with mine down the road I may as well get one that I know works.
hey found a tutorial i havent tried yet...give it a shot

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2397

lol and this card has absolutely nothing on it... the p/n is 143127-411 rev. 01b serial number ACC000060846 i also have a belkin usb wireless adapter that works

Just booted with both cores

:wacko:picture1vd6.jpg

lol i'd choose a card that works :) maybe a 7900, they're at a reasonable price....i was using a 7300 before i got my 8800 workingno and yes only two channelWorks great man! I tested nba hangtime

picture2tx1.png

*in full screen mode as well

How did you get the 2 cores? or did I miss reading something... Ill re read.. LOL

and the reason I want the 8800GT 512 is for my windows games!!!!

Crysis CSS LOTRO and such.... this card is INCREDIBLE for its price....

Ah decisions decisions...

How did you get the 2 cores? or did I miss reading something... Ill re read.. LOL

and the reason I want the 8800GT 512 is for my windows games!!!!

Crysis CSS LOTRO and such.... this card is INCREDIBLE for its price....

Ah decisions decisions...

loll yeah im actually a huge pc gamer...basically what i did was install it on one core then enabled the core after my installation got stable and lookie there, it freakin booted up and has been working quite well

loll yeah im actually a huge pc gamer...basically what i did was install it on one core then enabled the core after my installation got stable and lookie there, it freakin booted up and has been working quite well

Thats so awesome.

I really really want leopard!!!

Will I be able to follow your guide and do everything but video I wonder.

Will leopard boot like my Tiger does, with no video drivers?