650 and 680i chipset thread...

JaE-V

931 posts in this topic

you can avoid all this frustration by installing on to another actual hard drive or running the postpatch from a flash drive if you dont have a spare drive...just to avoid confusion

I removed my tiger isntall, patched from the leo disk off the root of my other drive.

I can boot to a flashing underscore, and darwin doesnt come up.

Ill try it again tonight maybe, this is my third leo install.

I removed my tiger isntall, patched from the leo disk off the root of my other drive.

I can boot to a flashing underscore, and darwin doesnt come up.

Ill try it again tonight maybe, this is my third leo install.

really, thats weird? did you do anything differently from the directions in the thread?

I can't manage to boot from TOH's dvd >.<I get a kernel panic. It has something to do with the GeForce.kext and NVDAResman.kext drivers, so I don't really know what to do.And this is by booting from the dvd with one core.
boot with -x -v and the one coreonce your in find your library extensions folder and delete all geforce and NVDAR kexts nd youll boot fine (without any video acceleration)Are you tlaking about booting into the isntaller? or after install?
What are you using to select the drive you want to boot off? Is it the only drive in the computer?
Darwin, all my mac installs are on one disk and winxp on the other

Gah. Now I'm stuck at the "Do you already own a mac?" screen. I'm wondering what my solution might be for this. I have a generic network card in the machine and it has two built on the mother board. I wonder what I should do if its really network related...

Gah. Now I'm stuck at the "Do you already own a mac?" screen. I'm wondering what my solution might be for this. I have a generic network card in the machine and it has two built on the mother board. I wonder what I should do if its really network related...

Maybe disable the onboard?

FOR INSANIA AND EVERYONE INSTALL DON'T START

sorry for my english....

I've a big lot of problems to start the LEO install (wait queue deadlock, dns, video card, cpu, sam multimedia)..

So i tryed and have happy ending with this solution...

from BIOS disable USB LEGACY

at boot use this flags: cpus=1 idlehalt=0 platform=X86PC -v -x

hope its help you...

and hope you help my english.... ;)

I got past the "Do you have a mac?" screen by firewiring all my data (including user account) from my Macbook, which is cool since I wanted to do that anyways. My problem now is graphics.I've got an 8800GTS 640 that worked PERFECT in Tiger but after installing mac.nub's NVinject in leopard I can't change resolution and QE is disabled. It shows up as the right card in system profiler but no QE, no resolution change (1024x768 only). Of course I need to install SOMETHING to prevent panics when booting without -x flag, and this does the trick as far as that goes. I'm going to try the older kexts that worked well for me before, his tiger ones, but I'm not too hopeful. Anyone else have similar issues?

Also on the topic of getting your leopard to boot.I'm using the Vista bootloader, I added a MAC OS X option using EasyBCD (google it).

Works like a charm, though it requires vista.

I got past the "Do you have a mac?" screen by firewiring all my data (including user account) from my Macbook, which is cool since I wanted to do that anyways. My problem now is graphics.I've got an 8800GTS 640 that worked PERFECT in Tiger but after installing mac.nub's NVinject in leopard I can't change resolution and QE is disabled. It shows up as the right card in system profiler but no QE, no resolution change (1024x768 only). Of course I need to install SOMETHING to prevent panics when booting without -x flag, and this does the trick as far as that goes. I'm going to try the older kexts that worked well for me before, his tiger ones, but I'm not too hopeful. Anyone else have similar issues?

Also on the topic of getting your leopard to boot.I'm using the Vista bootloader, I added a MAC OS X option using EasyBCD (google it).

Works like a charm, though it requires vista.

seems like you didnt remove the older drivers before you ran the new oness correct?...had that issue, just had to delete and play around with the nv files...make sure your using the 0.1.3 installer

I'm up with some interesting work-arounds.

Internet: My PCI card is still not detected and the Forcedeth drivers didn't help (system preferences always tells me a cable is unplugged, whether it is or not). Firewire to my MacBook with Internet Sharing worked perfectly, however. So I'm typing this message on my 680i.

Sound: Onboard sound is a no go but a $7 USB sound card I had laying around gives me exactly what I need, sound in and out work perfectly.

That said I'm probably going to go get either a USB->Ethernet adapter or another generic ethernet card to try later since internet sharing is a bit awkward, but it does work!

I'm up with some interesting work-arounds.

Internet: My PCI card is still not detected and the Forcedeth drivers didn't help (system preferences always tells me a cable is unplugged, whether it is or not). Firewire to my MacBook with Internet Sharing worked perfectly, however. So I'm typing this message on my 680i.

Sound: Onboard sound is a no go but a $7 USB sound card I had laying around gives me exactly what I need, sound in and out work perfectly.

That said I'm probably going to go get either a USB->Ethernet adapter or another generic ethernet card to try later since internet sharing is a bit awkward, but it does work!

screenshot? ^_^

Haha, here's the screenshot. I just realized that I did the entire process with BOTH cores enabled in my BIOS, but in the end I'm still showing as a Core2Solo. Huh. I can live with that but if anyone has any pointers... :)

nice! lol and thats weird...i have no clue mine showed two even when i had one disabled ^_^

my gaming performance is blazing fast with my 8800 prey at max settings:

picture9rn3.png

and i bought an belkin usb wireless adapter that i knew was 100% compatible and its actually faster than my generic ethernet card lol

*http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=179211

even has an airport utility

hey jae-v,

i gotto ask you this question. did you ever have a problem with QE/CI with your 8800. i have xfx 8800 gtx and i installed mac.nub 0.1.3 easy installer. resolution change works and system profiler shows me the correct vram and model but QE shows as not supported and CI is always software based. can you help me with it?

hey jae-v,i gotto ask you this question. did you ever have a problem with QE/CI with your 8800. i have xfx 8800 gtx and i installed mac.nub 0.1.3 easy installer. resolution change works and system profiler shows me the correct vram and model but QE shows as not supported and CI is always software based. can you help me with it?
Did you properly remove older drivers?...I had that issue when i updated an installation without removing the older drives all the way
One more try going down tonight I hope.Anyone else have troubles putting leo the same disk as a tiger isntall.My leoo boots tiger, or a flashin _ when its the only OSgrrrrr well see hehehe
lol you still havent found a spare ide drive yet?....

Did you properly remove older drivers?...I had that issue when i updated an installation without removing the older drives all the waylol you still havent found a spare ide drive yet?....

Well I already have 2, and the 680i only has the one channel.

Off topic, but were did you get that wallpaper with city JaE-V?

hey and thanks alot for all the help in this thread!

01341headingwest2560x16oi3.jpg

i got it from www.interfacelift.com as well

customize.org also has some amazing ones

Hi all, this is my first post, i ve been a lot of time browsing around this forum, and finally, although im new to mac, i managed to install leopard on my Asus Striker 8800 gtx machine , that wouldnt be possible without your help, thanks to all of you.

this is how i did it

1 installed tiger 10.4.8 Jas, and then upgraded to 10.4.9 as its already explained.

2 installed leopard toh. with cpus=1 -v

3 i had a lot of troubles installing my nvidia 8800 gtx, spent a lot of time but finally i ve ce enabled, i needed to edit pinfo's

from nvdahal50.kext, geforce.kext, nvdaresman.kext, and nvinject.kext and change 0193 for 0191, and it worked, don't know why but nvdaresman wasnt installed on my system, so i copied it form toh leo dvd, repaired permissions from disk utility a lot of times... but I DID IT.

4 sound is not working at this time, i havent tried anything yet, i will try to install azalia it worked on tiger ill post results...

5 lan isnt working either but i use a conceptronic usb wifi working with rt usb drivers.

6 i cant disable 1 core on BIOS so i always start with cpus=1, dont know if it will work as your pictures show as core Duo,do you still have a core disable on bios and leop shows you core duo, or did you enabled that core after installation (JAeV)?

I only wanted to say Thank You, and show that it works with 8800 gtx, and with an asus striker motherboard.

Ok guys. This thread has given me a big leg up in my osx86 experiment, but I need more help.

I was able to install 10.4.8 and upgrade to 10.4.9 using the method descibed earlier on this thread. I still have no ethernet or sound and I tried connecting to the modem via a usb cable, but still no network. Also, I need to F8 -x everytime to boot otherwise I come on the grey you must restart your mac screen. In addition, the computer will not shutdown. It hangs at the desktop wallpaper for some reason.

I installed the mac.nub drivers for my 880GTS and it seems to work fine supporting a good resolution.

Since I have no internet I tried the same type of update used to go from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9. This time updating to 10.4.10. Unfortunately this led to all sorts of problems and crashes.

Can someone help me upgrade and get internet and perhaps sound? If so, please make the instructions painfully detailed as I'm quite daft at this sort of thing.

Later,

Gator

Ok guys. This thread has given me a big leg up in my osx86 experiment, but I need more help.I was able to install 10.4.8 and upgrade to 10.4.9 using the method descibed earlier on this thread. I still have no ethernet or sound and I tried connecting to the modem via a usb cable, but still no network. Also, I need to F8 -x everytime to boot otherwise I come on the grey you must restart your mac screen. In addition, the computer will not shutdown. It hangs at the desktop wallpaper for some reason. I installed the mac.nub drivers for my 880GTS and it seems to work fine supporting a good resolution.Since I have no internet I tried the same type of update used to go from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9. This time updating to 10.4.10. Unfortunately this led to all sorts of problems and crashes.Can someone help me upgrade and get internet and perhaps sound? If so, please make the instructions painfully detailed as I'm quite daft at this sort of thing.Later,Gator
as of right now your ethernet isnt gonna work....no one's does. my audio worked right off the back so im not sure on that one. the links are in this thread for the .4.10 update, just download it til you get your net working...i myself have a generic pci card which works with leopard and a belkin usb wireless adapter that works as well for my network..and the restart doesnt work for me either, its no big deal. shut down does work. the reason why it will not boot for you is because you need to boot into safe mode and delete those nv files then restart and you'll b able to boot....your gonna have issues with those loaded 8800 drivers with leopard, it would've been much better to wait...but if your only goal is to run leopard there is no need to update to .4.10 or blah...just install the 10.4.8 JaS ppf1 and 2 image selecting nothing other than essentials no drivers no nothing! then you can run the toh image on top of that, install with posted instructions and go from there. i'd start over if i were ya
Hi all, this is my first post, i ve been a lot of time browsing around this forum, and finally, although im new to mac, i managed to install leopard on my Asus Striker 8800 gtx machine , that wouldnt be possible without your help, thanks to all of you.this is how i did it1 installed tiger 10.4.8 Jas, and then upgraded to 10.4.9 as its already explained.2 installed leopard toh. with cpus=1 -v3 i had a lot of troubles installing my nvidia 8800 gtx, spent a lot of time but finally i ve ce enabled, i needed to edit pinfo'sfrom nvdahal50.kext, geforce.kext, nvdaresman.kext, and nvinject.kext and change 0193 for 0191, and it worked, don't know why but nvdaresman wasnt installed on my system, so i copied it form toh leo dvd, repaired permissions from disk utility a lot of times... but I DID IT.4 sound is not working at this time, i havent tried anything yet, i will try to install azalia it worked on tiger ill post results...5 lan isnt working either but i use a conceptronic usb wifi working with rt usb drivers.6 i cant disable 1 core on BIOS so i always start with cpus=1, dont know if it will work as your pictures show as core Duo,do you still have a core disable on bios and leop shows you core duo, or did you enabled that core after installation (JAeV)? I only wanted to say Thank You, and show that it works with 8800 gtx, and with an asus striker motherboard.
basically what i did was exaclty the same as you but i did not update to 10.4.9 as when i tried that i ran into issues and my performance was sluggish, so i updated to leo from .4.8 with no essentials...ran the ToH install over the installation with a core disabled in the bios, never used cpus=1....*have you updated your bios?* then after the install completed, i booted it up made sure it worked..checked the system profiler and it said core 2 duo with both cores eventhough one was disabled lol, so i turned it off enabled the core and its been working well...so yes after the installation.....im assuming the striker dosnt have that option since another guy had the same problem..azaila should give you sound

at first i did install leopard over a clean 10 4 8 tiger installation, i installed tiger with -x -v removed nvdaresman, and then installed nvidia drivers and sound drivers and nforceata drivers, but when i tried to install leo, it did install but i couldn boot to leopard, it hung at a blue desktop screen just before it asks to fill in your data, so i tried it again over 10 4 9.

i do think my performance is not as good as i wish, dont know if it is because i dont have core duo or because im over an 10 4 9 upgrade.

ive spent a week installing and uninstalling leopards and tigers, maybe ill try again and install over 10 4 8 to see if my performance improves.

i can-t get to run iwork 08 nor toast titanium does, any advices?

what about 10. 5 .1 upgrade?

thanks all again