I GOT MY INTEL IMAC TODAY!!!

377 posts in this topic

Hey kinkadius! you should try the trick with Freedos, which has been given in this topic: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...pic=6700&st=100

Let me "split" the sentence so you can read:

1- make partitions on your imac's harddrive (one HFS+ and one FAT32)

2- install MacOS on the HFS+ partition

3- install FreeDOS on the second partition (don't know how!)

4- boot FreeDOS

5- insert WinXP disc and browse to i386 directory: launch installer (setup?)

6- after first stage, the computer reboots into MacOS

7- use the startup preferences to choose the FAT32 partition as boot disk

8- the install should go on with second stage

then it should work...

THIS IS ONLY A "TRANSLATION" of the sentence above, i haven't tested it! :D

I read it that you need 3 partitions in all - the original one with OSX, a new one for FreeDOS, and a second new one to have a partition to install XP onto.

geez, where is the subscribe to thread on this forum? I have to actually post something to get notification

Seriously, I can't find "subscribe to this thread" or "track this topic" anywhere. I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

I read it that you need 3 partitions in all - the original one with OSX, a new one for FreeDOS, and a second new one to have a partition to install XP onto.

yes, indeed! actually it seems that you need to CLONE a FreeDOS image onto a partition, and you need a third partition to install onto. FreeDOS does not need much space, though.

I've almost got Airport with my PCMCIA WPC54G. It loaded AppleAirPort_MM, saw the mac and I've rebooted like a fool. Not seeing it since then :D

(using IO80211Family from 10.4.4)

So 10.4.4 drivers can work in 10.4.3???

No ABI problems?

Kick Ass...

Edited by bofors

SUCCESS: Airport is working like a charm. My WPC54G card is put to good use now. Have signal meter in menu area :D

FAILURE: ATINDRV is not loading because is looking for ATY,Wormy driver (which we don't have, of course. Maybe this is the codename for X1600 used in iMacs)

SUCCESS: Airport is working like a charm. My WPC54G card is put to good use now. Have signal meter in menu area :D

FAILURE: ATINDRV is not loading because is looking for ATY,Wormy driver (which we don't have, of course. Maybe this is the codename for X1600 used in iMacs)

Just wondering....shouldn't think kind of stuff be posted in separate thread? The OP is primarily about installing XP on the new Intel iMac.

it's 1.2 i think (i've opened it, now looks like {censored} because you cannot put it back again once opened :D)

anyway, it's device id is pci14e4,4320. was defined in 8f1099 build, but no luck loading it. now, with 10.4.4 extension works like a charm :D

Hmm.. this sounds bad and perhaps DRM'd, I think "wormy" may be another Apple game. As in a rotten Apple, not just a codename.

Edited by bofors

Just wondering....shouldn't think kind of stuff be posted in separate thread? The OP is primarily about installing XP on the new Intel iMac.

Agree, we dont want to dilute the original thread. I'll have another mirror in about 10 min. posted on the other thread.

I see this as more of an experimental thread, see what we can do with the stuff from 10.4.4 and the new imacs. Buts thats just me.

Agree, we dont want to dilute the original thread. I'll have another mirror in about 10 min. posted on the other thread.

EDIT: What other thread?

Then perhaps people here would like to designate seperate threads for further discusion of:

(1) ATI drivers (this is what I am primarily interested in)

(2) Wireless drivers

(3) Booting Windows

Edited by bofors

Then perhaps people here would like to designate seperate threads for further discusion of:

(1) ATI drivers (this is what I am primarily interested in)

(2) Wireless drivers

(3) Booting Windows

Yes, please!

Yes, just make sure to state that the drivers are experimental. we dont want others to get the wrong assumtion. also, please give a breif direction on how to add, chown, and chmod the files.

i'm interested in 1, 2 and also ATSServer :D

Can we get back on topic of this thread regarding booting windows on the new imac?

BTW congrats on the ATINDRV kext. ;)

I guess there must be nothing new to report regarding booting windows...

FYI from the `bless` manpage:

--file file Instead of allowing the firmware to discover the

booter based on the blessed directory or file,

pass an explicit path to the firmware to boot

from. This can be used to run EFI applications or

EFI booters for alternate OSes, but should not be

normally used. This is only supported on EFI-

based systems.

Just a quick note.

Someone posted( http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...=80entry43184 ) about MCE2005 and the EFI directory. They are wrong...they must have installed a Vista Beta on their system and didn't mention it to us. At least this is what a friend said. I can verify when I get home in an hour though.

Nope, I don't have that folder on my MCE2005 install, nor is it on the boot CD.

BTW, keep this on the OP's topic. I'm getting tired of being ignored. Please do your own threads on other items, there are too many posts for me to go prune them myself, so I'll just delete them soon.

Edited by cyrana

Nope, I don't have that folder on my MCE2005 install, nor is it on the boot CD.

So I really don't see how we can boot MCE2005 from an EFI system without BIOS compatibility.

Only Vista has an EFI directory?