I GOT MY INTEL IMAC TODAY!!!

377 posts in this topic

We dont need all of the ATI drivers, just /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext since that's the framebuffer device. I believe it should work with the drivers we already have for CI/QE/OpenGL.

So, you think this will quickly provide a way to enable the full use of some ATI cards on "unsupported" hardware?

bofors, all we really need is the frame buffer device (ATINDRV from 10.4.4), the low level functions that are missing right now and are being replaced by IONDRVFramebuffer generic support. That's why there's mouse tearing and all the other glitches.

sigxcpu, what's buggy, the new drivers?

myzar, as long as the functions are there then as they say "where there's a will - there's a way"

blinksilver, my understanding is that NV driver has not changed in 10.4.4, but I could be wrong (do not have 10.4.4 x86 yet to test)

Just do what I did, get a cheap ATI 9600 Pro for under $100 and use it until NV drivers come of age.

Edited by omni

sigxcpu, what's buggy, the new drivers?

I assume he was talking about currently best state of ATI support on 10.4.3 (which lack the framebuffer kext you have requested).

EDIT: This threading is moving fast...

Edited by bofors

No incentive to have better x86 nvidia drivers yet for them.

Anyway, keep this thread on the topic the OP started, please. And we don't need a chorus of "me too, I want the ATi drivers". ;)

Edited by cyrana

bofors, all we really need is the frame buffer device (ATINDRV from 10.4.4), the low level functions that are missing right now and are being replaced by IONDRVFramebuffer generic support. That's why there's mouse tearing and all the other glitches.

So, theoretically there should be no EFI-issues here as you will still being using BIOS ATI drivers?

Edited by bofors

If this works, that will be the best value ATI? card get An ATI 9600 Pro?

I got one of those ATI 9600 PRO Atlantis AGP with 256MB RAM, sub $100 and CI/QE/OpenGL supported. I did not want to spend more than $100 when I already have a GF6800GT that I paid $400+.

So, if you have a good NVidia card, this will be a decent replacement till NV happens on OS X...

did the imac guy leave the building, like elvis? :D

Hey, Elvis is not supposed to leave until the game is "over'. :P

So, theoretically there should be no EFI-issues here as you will still being using BIOS ATI drivers?

Edited by bofors

Hey, Elvis is not supposed to leave until the game is "over'. :D

Someone has posted a kextstat dump from 10.4.4 and there was the ATINDRV.kext in the listing. That is the frame buffer NDRV that we need, which contains all the Video BIOS functions usually contained in the Mac ATI cards' ROMs.

Basically these functions deal with screen setup, available resolutions (through I2C EDID probing of the attached display, hardware cursor, memory mapping etc).

Edited by omni

Yes Omni.. your right... I have a expensive nvidia card 2... and Im thinking to buy some ATI only to get QE/CI .. etc... but... hope someday nvidia have a good drivers for intel mac ... =|

If Nvidia dont "wake up".... will lose many users to ATI ...

Those "many" users are the OS X x86 hacked version. Are you sure that their number will affect nvidia? :D