I GOT MY INTEL IMAC TODAY!!!

377 posts in this topic

Hey kinkadius! you should try the trick with Freedos, which has been given in this topic: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...pic=6700&st=100

Let me "split" the sentence so you can read:

1- make partitions on your imac's harddrive (one HFS+ and one FAT32)

2- install MacOS on the HFS+ partition

3- install FreeDOS on the second partition (don't know how!)

4- boot FreeDOS

5- insert WinXP disc and browse to i386 directory: launch installer (setup?)

6- after first stage, the computer reboots into MacOS

7- use the startup preferences to choose the FAT32 partition as boot disk

8- the install should go on with second stage

then it should work...

THIS IS ONLY A "TRANSLATION" of the sentence above, i haven't tested it! :)

New Poster with the same goal - get Win XP on the new iMac

Following the above has resulted in the following.

1) Made 3 partitions on the mac hard drive, 1 Mac OS partition and two Windows partitions. This is done by booting off the Mac OS X DVD and then repartitioning under Disk Utility.

2) Install Mac OS X on the main partition. This thing takes a long time to install, so I'm sure that's slowing a lot of people down.

3) I have a disk image of FreeDOS that I got from their website.

PROBLEM:

OS X does not recognize either Windows partition as bootable or "mountable". I put "mountable" in quotes because althought the partitions show up on the finder screen, and I can move files to and from them; when using Carbon Copy Cloner, it does not recognize the partitions. So, I can't clone the disc image of FreeDOS onto either partition.

2nd PROBLEM:

Even if I could get the disk image on the volume, I can't boot from the volume under System Preferences, because the Windows partitions are non-bootable.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking about reformating using Mac partitions and then cloning the FreeDOS image to one of the partitions and booting from there? It just sucks having to reinstall OS X everytime I repartition.

Thanks

Not sure how the repartition is supposed to help. You can't even boot the XP install CD according to the OP. Unless you can ghost or whatever in the DOS session (but DOES doesn't know EFI either).

Don't think he's tried Vista yet...

Edited by cyrana

My limited belief is that you can't boot a partition unless you can bless it, and that necessitates an EFI boot directory. So either:

- you find an OS that uses EFI (Vista?)

- you manage to turn on the BIOS compatibility layer in EFI and somehow boot into the partition

Not sure how the repartition is supposed to help. You can't even boot the XP install CD according to the OP. Unless you can ghost or whatever in the DOS session (but DOES doesn't know EFI either).

Not sure anyone wants to remove the lid on their new toy, but what about manipulating the HD using a Knoppix build on another PC?

Nope, I don't have that folder on my MCE2005 install, nor is it on the boot CD.

I frickin' hate it when people who do not have the slightest clue spread such misinformation. :) I really feel like giving the guy who posted this a nice kick in the butt.

XP64 is Efi enabled too...

this is a simple search on Msn :

http://search.microsoft.com:80/results.asp...efi+xp&first=11

have a look guys....... :(

DS

We know this, but only the itanium one has it, and even if the AMD/EMT64 one did, it wouldn't matter since these aren't 64bit chips.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch. ;)

Edited by cyrana

My limited belief is that you can't boot a partition unless you can bless it, and that necessitates an EFI boot directory. So either:

- you find an OS that uses EFI (Vista?)

- you manage to turn on the BIOS compatibility layer in EFI and somehow boot into the partition

Nero enterprise can make EFI bootable CDs. Why not try to make a freedos version of it. Of course, if you only have a MAC, you're back to square 1.

post-15289-1137457916_thumb.jpg

for some odd reason i have afeeling once VTPC comes out, all discussion of dual-booting will cease to exist and everything will revert back to "who can put os x on a pc". i mean after all since vtpc doesn't have to go through the tedious process of x86 --> ppc instruction translations, shouldn't it be ez'ier? and also with possible directx support, the gamers will be happy/

for some odd reason i have afeeling once VTPC comes out, all discussion of dual-booting will cease to exist and everything will revert back to "who can put os x on a pc". i mean after all since vtpc doesn't have to go through the tedious process of x86 --> ppc instruction translations, shouldn't it be ez'ier? and also with possible directx support, the gamers will be happy/

Well, even for us MacOSX86 is much quicker running native than with VMWare. So even with VPC, it won't be 100% the same thing.

What's VTPC? Do you mean Microsoft's Virtual PC? The very first virtualizer with limited, experimental Direct3D support that I know of is vmware Workstation 5 (i.e., not even Microsoft's very own product!). It seems that they're translating Direct3D into OpenGL. I doubt that full and fast Direct3D support to an extent that makes gaming feasible is possible on non-Microsoft host operating systems with the current means and methods, i.e., on the basis of non VT-enabled hardware.

It's NERO Enterprise Edition 6. I don't think it exists anymore but you must know where to get it .... right?

search for

Ahead Nero v6.6.0.0 Reloaded Enterprise Edition

On piratebay.org.

that explains it, i'll try to find it on piratebay.

can't toast do it? :-|

Do you really need to have a special version of Nero to create an EFI bootable cd? I thought what it meant was that if you wanted to create a new bootable disk, you know like if you're making a custom bootcd then you'd use that option to add EFI.

If Vista Beta 1 supports EFI then it should work after being burned straight from the ISO. You don't need a Mac to burn an ISO of a PowerPC bootable disk now do you?

Edit: First off you could try the Trial version of Nero 7 Premium to see if that has EFI boot support build in: http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/nero7-demo.php and secondly I had issues booting from a Vista CD that was burnt with Nero (on a normal BIOS PC). I ended up using another program to burn it UltraISO or something like that and it booted up like a charm.

Edited by Spanky Deluxe

I'm still failing (due to my lack of tech knowledge) how FreeDOS plays into this whole equation. And I mean it just seems that even if Vista does have EFI support which we know it does...I have this odd feeling Mac doesn't want to play.

(Is it true Vista betas will be available for all the public? I came across a post saying this but I thought it'd be too good to be true. and i don't mean MSDN)

...watch there be some incredibly, and I mean incredibly easy way to do all of this, and we'll all be here saying wtf we didn't think of that before.

okay if anybody happens to know where i can quickly download a copy of nero with EFI support or any burning app with EFI support that would be really nice cause i'd like to boot this DVD of vista.

:-(

Can't you just burn your image with any regular burning app? I am inclined to think that the EFI option in Nero is for creating custom EFI-bootable media only, but this doesn't apply here.