what made you switch to mac?

turkeydog

98 posts in this topic

i'm still straddling the fence, and ever since they sort of perfected boot camp, i guess i'll be straddling forever. mac has its advantages and disadvantages, windows has its own, so does linux, and so on. ex. - i like windows explorer better than finder.

For me, I've always liked Apple's products but price was always an issue for me to actually try. Then several years ago, a reseller was offering a kit using old mac motherboards in a pc case called a CoreCrib to people. I was one of the first to get it (holding my breath that it wasn't actually a scam) and put a kit together. Once I got my machine working I saw how elegant Mac OS X was compared to Windows XP and I was hooked. I got a lot of static (when I posted pics from my build) from the Mac community that felt that I ruined the Mac experience with a pc case; but then I told them that I could hold two DVD burners and a tape backup in my case where they could only have one drive and I was able to get the front panel of my box working so I could plug usb and firewire device from the front of the panel. I also mentioned that I was able to build it cheaper from what mac actually offered with more expandability.

I guess Apple was listening because soon they threatened the guy offering the kits and shut down his operation, then offered Powermacs that were in line with the prices that the guy was selling. I also think Apple read the threads from his site and because of it released the mac mini and made the Powermac G5 with the front ports.

But it was because I was able to get a mac at the price I could afford to test out the waters of a new operating system that I'm sold on Mac OS X. I bought a Powerbook later that year because of my experience.

I still have the Corecrib, although I now house the machine in a Powermac case. I use it for file storage and temp desktop and now in the process of making my own hackintosh. Also I want to buy a Macbook Pro to replace the my powerbook that just died. ;)

Terry

My Sister's graphics design company has a certain hardware turn over where I get to buy the older production machines fairly cheap. I know that they have been taken care of and I have no problems with them. So Yeah, I am always a little bit of a generation behind but hey Macs do last longer than PC's anyways so that doesn't really matter.

You left OS X or your actual Macintosh computer. I can understand leaving Macs, but leaving OS X :) ?

Left both. Traded my MacBook Pro for a 24" HD Monitor, new Gateway laptop, and a good chunk of spending $$$.

the damn vista beta made me decide to "switch".

Boooo.

I <3 Vista. iTunes 7 sucked on both OSs, and there's no more Force Quitting either iTunes or Safari or a bunch of other things.

Vista was more stable the day I got it, the first day it was released than Leopard has been for me.

Left both. Traded my MacBook Pro for a 24" HD Monitor, new Gateway laptop, and a good chunk of spending $$.

Boooo.

I <3 Vista. iTunes 7 sucked on both OSs, and there's no more Force Quitting either iTunes or Safari or a bunch of other things.

Vista was more stable the day I got it, the first day it was released than Leopard has been for me.

When I used Vista, I ran into the same problem a lot. I had a perfectly capable laptop at the time, but when one app hung (usually a svchost) the rest hung, explorer went all the time making the computer unusable, and the only way to turn it off was A) hold the power button B)pull out the battery

It continued after the beta as well, on two computers.

What made you switch to a mac?

The {censored} monopolization, and manipulation of the market using unethical standards by elitists that wish to maintain

a dictorial order of control over the mass populous using closed source, and TPM technology.

What made me move to Linux from a Mac?

The fact that Bill Gates, a known elitist, owns %51 of Apple. See above explanation for repetition.

post-161351-1200725530_thumb.png

What made you switch to a mac?

The {censored} monopolization, and manipulation of the market using unethical standards by elitists that wish to maintain

a dictorial order of control over the mass populous using closed source, and TPM technology.

What made me move to Linux from a Mac?

The fact that Bill Gates, a known elitist, owns %51 of Apple. See above explanation for repetition.

you do realize that not one mac in current production has a TPM chip in it?

and that darwin (the entire basis for OS X) is open source? I am currently running the 10.5.0 kernel that I built from source.

the more I learn about OS X, the more I love it.

and macs are pretty damn good too, though expensive (not overpriced).

you do release that not one mac in current production has a TPM chip in it?

and that darwin (the entire basis for OS X) is open source? I am currently running the 10.5.0 kernel that I built from source.

the more I learn about OS X, the more I love it.

and macs are pretty damn good too, though expensive (not overpriced).

The Intel Macs do have TPM chips.

OpenDarwin is open source, true.

The interface, etc.. is locked down.

http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/04...he_evil_drm.htm

The Intel Macs do have TPM chips.

OpenDarwin is open source, true.

The interface, etc.. is locked down.

http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/04...he_evil_drm.htm

A Trusted Platform Module (TPM) is a microcontroller that stores secured information. It was thought that Intel Macintoshes use the chip to prevent Mac OS X from running on non-Apple PCs.[dubious – discuss] However, Amit Singh has claimed that the TPM is not used by Apple and is in fact absent from recent Intel Apple computers [1]. TPM technology is considered controversial by some users due to its presumed role in future DRM technologies, but to date Apple seems to have chosen not to implement its functions.

after reading some more google links, I read several sites that suggested that the Developer platforms had tpm but the intel macs do not.

Also, none of the extra kernel extensions in the brazilmac postpatch (for leopard on non-macs) contained anything that would emulate tpm (except possibly dsmos.kext, but I don't think so) meaning that leopard doesn't check for tpm.

even the site you linked showed skepticism over whether there really were TPM chips inside intel macs.

What made me switch to mac?

I was looking for a machine with a small foot print, and I got a deal on an G4 Mac Mini back then that made it just the most attractive alternative. As OS X does have full POSIX power, I did not even bother installing Linux on it... just oc'ed it to 1.42 Ghz, upped the RAM and am very happy with the little machine ever since.

In fact, I liked it so much, I also got a MBP.

I did not really switch, though... I am still running 2 Windows machines, a couple of Debian boxes and a FreeBSD installation. But then, I am a professional geek who likes to game from time to time..

Left both. Traded my MacBook Pro for a 24" HD Monitor, new Gateway laptop, and a good chunk of spending $$$.

Boooo.

Same here... and the same holds true until Apple decides to release 10.5.2.

But I still prefer Leopard.

What's Vista?

From Dictionary.com:

–noun

1. a view or prospect, esp. one seen through a long, narrow avenue or passage, as between rows of trees or houses.

2. such an avenue or passage, esp. when formally planned.

3. a far-reaching mental view: vistas of the future.

:D