what made you switch to mac?

turkeydog

98 posts in this topic

For all my life i was microsoft user, starting with dos (i was 5y old =))) ) after - 3.11 (and my beloved game Dune 2), then 95, 2000 and XP.

After first XP release was out, i spent with my older brother many sleepless nights learning and tweaking the system. Year after that i was a proud member of "Microsoft partner program", then additionally subscribed member of .NET initial release testers. Since then, i developed my skills, went through several Microsoft exams and got certified... *Thinking of that time... LOL*

Worked till the end of last summer as a sysadmin, on win 2003 server based domain network.

When first beta releases of Vista (known as Longhorn those days) were in my possession i understood, that this is not the way i want to go. I was never a hard-mind windows user though, bugs and problems were pissing me all the time, but that was the reason why i studied it, to know to fight and win :-)

So, some time after trying "Longhorn", i decided to look around for alternatives. I turned to linux, mandriva first, then suse and ubuntu. I tried several distros.

One day i was walking i the downtown and accidently ran into one of the Apple retail stores. Technician there explained to me, that for some time, macs are using intel processors, not the "G" ones i thought. Next day i joined this particular forum.

A bit later, got my hands on 10.4.6x86 release - unsuccessful. I remained on Suse until the first JaS 10.4.7 was torrented. Since that time i remain on hakintosh. Bought my mom MacBook, she is happy with it :-)

Thing i really hate about apple hardware is the price for RAM and HDDs in apple retail stores {censored}!

Why would i pay 850$ for 2x2Gig ram upgrade for iMac (nowadays), if i can get same kit (from kingston - apple iMac certified) for ±220$ on newegg !?

And of course lack of upgrade possibilities like "no more PCI" on Mac Pro. {censored}... what if i just LOVE my ESI Juli@ card and don't want to pay 4 times more for equal quality external solution???

P.S. Wow... story of my life :o;)

Quite frankly I was sick of the same old {censored} from the M$ drones, and their countless armies of unstable Orwellian culture shock zombies. I switched to Slackware Linux. For 10 years I ran Linux as my primary desktop, and until 3 years ago I bought another Mac, and decided to use it for my hobbies. Linux is excellent, but gnome needs much less of a cluster-{censored} desktop. Great for someone like me, but intollerable for the lazy commie {censored}s out there that draw wellfare checks. KDE is out of the question. I don't want a windows clone. I like the Aqua interface a lot, along with the FreeBSD driven OS.

If most people knew what was in Windows (Don't ask how I know), they would throw it across the room, shout every obscenity at it in all human languages, and kill everyone that ran it on their machine, because they couldn't handle knowing what it has in it. The bowels of hell reside within windows, and bill gates is Satan. Windows is a demon {censored} child of an OS that follows NO rules but it's own. It is the worst platform on the market. If I had a TV, house, or vehicle that behaved like windows, I would demand my money back.

Once a year, my company holds a skeet contest where we skeet windows CDs with birdshot. Quite a number of people attend, and it is a 4 hour event with lots of hotdogs, pork, and burgers.

Hell is too good for some evil bastards.

post-18909-1194445894_thumb.jpg

Wow, you seem genuinely angry with Bill Gates... The same man that donates about 99% of his wealth to charity...

Reasons I switched are Logic Pro and Final Cut. I'm a producer/editor/musician and Acid and Vegas just don't work for me as well as Logic and Final Cut. That and I think they look really sweet.

I use a Mac because it's what Jesus would have done.

What about Raptor Jesus! Model your life after that of Raptor Jesus's, he went extinct for your sins! BTW Raptor Jesus was a badass and would have built his own rig and ran OSX86.

First made the switch to the deadmoo version of osx while searching google for a ndiswrapper fix for my dell d600 laptop while enjoying mepis. I'd basically given up on windows years before but the learning curve for linux is so steep to start that the full transition was difficult. OSX offered a great GUI, it was based on unix which was what I really wanted, still able to use terminal and it wasn't by bill gates. so far I've enjoyed my transition and since I'm not involved in any specific niche i've been able to find a program that works for all my needs. I've got a couple hackintosh's running used for daily things and the new imac i just purchased to make my windows->linux->hackintosh->macintosh transition complete.

Well, at first I didn't like macs, and for that I blame my school with there pathetic eMacs, a few years ago, I got the Vista beta, I hated it, it was ugly and resource hog. But I decided I'd wait and see what the Final is like before I completely bash it. Betas went by, still no improvement, I switched to linux at the time. One day, my sister came home with an iMac, around the same time my computer broke, so she let me use hers till I could get enough money for a new computer. I loved it, and saved up enough money for my own iMac.

Once my iMac breaks/gets old, Im gunna build a hackintosh

- I love the fact that OSX is based on unix (and all the advantages this represents)

- Because I want the computer to be my slave and not the other way around.

Same here. I used to be 100% windows. Then a virus wiped out one of our hard drives and we figured it was time to look into this 'Mac' operating system. I pretty much fell in love with everything about OS X and haven't looked back since, just wish we switched sooner. We still (occasionally) use XP and vista (hey it was only 20 bucks and completely legal so that's only why we got it) but 10.4 and 10.5 are our two main operating systems now. It will be a few more months before Leopard is ready for prime time, but once it is we'll switch over to it completely. Regarding some of the comments about Bill Gates, when I was a windows fan I used to hate him, but ironically now that I use a Mac I really like the guy. As a businessman he is the pits, but ever since he got married he has done a 180 and now he is a really good person. He donates an incredible amount to charities and his foundation is working on a cure for AIDS, among other diseases. He gives a lot to people who really needs it and that's alright in my book.

He donates an incredible amount to charities and his foundation is working on a cure for AIDS, among other diseases. He gives a lot to people who really needs it and that's alright in my book.

Finally it was said.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my reasons for switching have nothing to do with Bill Gates as a person, but the crapware his company puts out. Windows sucks plain and simple. It's just horrible. Everytime you start installing programs on it it starts slowing down to almost a standstill. My iMac is used, and spec wise not half the computer my Windows laptop is, but my iMac runs circles around the laptop. Viruses, spyware, and all that {censored}...I have had enough of Windows and all the problems it brings. I have been back on a Mac for about 3 weeks now, and I couldn't be happier.

• 4 weeks later...

I switched to linux almost 3 years ago. well, basically because of terminal and gcc.

but linux still sucks when it comes to multimedia stuff. like audio editing and mixing, adobe photoshop, flash ...

i needed something which has both ... mac os x is the solution :D

im happy :)

I switched to hackintosh over two years ago with the deedmoo version although that did lack alot of support for my specs it worked but would not of been a main choice however and things progressed with Maxxuss and other on this site later versions became very reliable with hardware starting to come on line and working maybe not completely but good enough

I think the Last time I wiped the system clean and re installed 10.4.4 was mid 2006 so for 18 months OSx has been totally stable and if the systems does go AWOL because I preform and un patched upgrade just re-install 10.4.8 and it corrects the problem without re formating and starting from fresh

When I used windows and after installing several Applications the system would run slower than a snail and even if you removed those applications later it would not gain much spped at all I would also be Formating and fresh Install of windows every few months

But the biggest advantage has been .......... ???????????????? VIRUSES the amount of them I have got on my mac ZERO ????? OK PC wins on that side of things -----Oh I remember now viruses are are bad thing LOL

In conclusion I find OS X to be superior for most of what I want and with leopard out now will make a great time to upgrade my old system to something that is a lot more compatable and see that monster eat vista for breafast lunch and dinner

I switched to Macs because I was impressed with the G3 iMac's All-in-one design :P And then I got my first look at...wait for it...OS X! It looked so beautiful at the time (this was OS 10.0) compared to the ugly Windows 2000 and the competition, Windows XP. And its beauty and productivity and the sheer number of things you could do with it is irresistible...and the built-in mic on the G3 iMacs were fun too :P

The first mac I got was a Macintosh Performa 5200CD, a stone age computer that ran OS 8.6 on like 32MB memory (or was it 16MB?)..but nevertheless I Then that mac died after about a year due to 2 consecutive power surges (because I left the computer on at night to let it run CRON scripts without even plugging it into a surge protector, stupid I know).

Then I was glued to a PC for a couple years then about a year ago I discovered the amazing OSx86 and VMware combo. I slowly became more and more knowledgeable in that area and then I switched to native a few months ago but I swear, VMs are more convenient because you can pop OS X up anytime you want without rebooting, if only they were faster.

Well, thats my story :D

I haven't officially switched yet, I plan to buy a Mac laptop (model TBD) when the next upgrade cycle rolls through.

What's making me switch? Curiosity and hatred for Windows

I also have planned a G5 case mod with a Hackintosh inside to learn with. I want an Apple Dev Cert some day :D

I havent touched mac since my Apple 2c many many moons ago. I was doing some research because I needed a machine that I could travel with that would allow me more than 2 gig of memory. I came across apple again realized that they were intel based VMWare fusion had just come out so I popped down to my local Apple store and picked up a MBP 17" glossy. I bought the upgraded memory from another vendor as I wasnt going to pay 750 for 4 gig of RAM. Got it home and started playing, havent looked back since. Took my old HP laptop and converted it to a VMWare image so I have the windows based {censored} I need for work. My hubby liked my MBP so much he went to the Apple store the following week and bought a new Mac Pro desktop. Our windows machines were converted to VMWare images wiped and sent out to family! We are now a full Mac family and we are not looking back!

1. Ease of Use: I had never created a movie so easily than with ILife. Programs installed with drag and drop.

2. No Virus, No Spyware

3. My gaming is done in XBOX360 so I have no need for gaming on the computer.

I have a macbook and a hackintosh.

The OS is just to good to pass up.