what made you switch to mac?

turkeydog

98 posts in this topic

I'm a software engineer and was mostly using windows for a long time and linux here and there, until a friend of mine from a previous company i worked for, walked in with a mac book. After we were all goo goo gaga over it (since we all used windows), i tried hackintosh, then bought a mac book pro. Now i only use windows for work related stuff mainly in 3D using opengl, and on the macs i do everything else and work on my own stuff mainly with 3D graphics using opengl. I wish the rest of the world would just wake up and use a mac.

I switched to a Mac Quadra in 1989, because my Atari 1024 was not capable to display 16 Million Colors. It costed me about 10 000 € incl. Eizo 16" Monitor,+ 20 meg of Ram. :)

Photoshop, Painter, Freehand, Quark, Emagic (Logic), all that Stuff was already there.

Windows was not really invented those days :)  

It seems, that the I Pod has saved Apple s neck, i wouldnt have bet a dime on Mac Os three years ago.

Apple still tries to be the big hardware seller and misses another chance to

lead the better OS to victory, i fear.

I remember when I hated Macs For no reason, then I went to my cousins house who had an iBook and wow it was amazing didn't know how to do anything I wanted to view his files i was looking for "My Computer" but never could find it lol, I still love PC but mainly for gaming on my hackintosh it is kinda hard to play good games since I wanted to SLi them but don't know if that is possible in Leopard. SO I love the both of the two worlds Macs for design and Simplicity and Windows for the hardware and DIY and building PCs

I'm in Vietnam and half of our population don't even know what a computer is. Many people in Hanoi used both fake iPods from China or real ones. My friend's Shuffle once stopped working so I went to Apple to find a solution. Then I saw Tiger.

After that holy day all I think about is Mac :D

Tried Vista, it's was slow and buggy as hell!

Tried Linux, didn't really suit my need, although it ran faster :thumbsup_anim:

Found OSX86, currently using Tiger 10.4.11 (JaS' 10.4.6 and 1.0 GB full of updates...).

Never felt better.

Saving up for a MacBook. :D

Well I didn't switch from windows.

I switch to Linux years ago, when I was fed up with re-installing windows every 3 months in order to keep things working quickly. I lived with mandriva for a few months because that is the easiest transition, then gentoo. I wouldn't say I'm totally mac over gentoo, but as soon as I installed osx I noticed my monitors looked way better. I realized I barely used my gentoo machine anymore so I got rid of it, but I basically switched because of the availablity of good software. Yes, I can do everything in I want in linux, but sometimes I'd rather just pay money and have it be easier to do. I won't touch windows again, except in vmware where I have 1 program I need for work that doesn't run in crossover office :D

im still only 13 years old. and my brother bought a powermac g4 when i was about 8. ever since then i loved os x. and as soon as they changed into intel proc. i immediately googled how to do this. luckily i found it. build a new computer this month in a g5 box. so happy. alot of my friends have windows. i refuse to use their computers. ide rather sit in the corner with my iphone.

Well, i have been a PC-user for whole 12 years! Now, from New 2008 I am Mac user! :blowup: What has forced me to switch?

I guess it was the consciousness that I can have both Mac+PC on my Mac, that I have get advantages of smart and excellent-designed Mac and I can also have the advantages of habitual and conservative PC with its Windows.

I could get all this with Virtual Machine's technology.

Now I run Parallels Desktop on my Mac and can easily switch from one OS to another. I can run Windows-only apps, I can play PC games (in most cases I use BootCamp for that) as well as I can enjoy my Mac! :D

I think this is quite convincing argument to switch from PC to Mac! :boxing:

• 4 weeks later...

I could never get windows to work properly the was always something up with it viruses, bad hardware drivers and when it was left on longer then 24 hours it would be slow and buggy.

OSx86 on the other-hand just works out the box so to speak. It is more responsive than a fresh install of windows and a plus for me i can leave it on for weeks on end and not notice any ill effect. Take a look at my sig my machine is hardly a new PC but runs OS X better than any version of windows.

I also like how easy it is to install software and the UI is gorgeous.

I never really switched I guess, Macs have always been part of a larger whole. My first experience with Apple was when I bought a dead Apple II+ back around '82. I had a second hand Atari 800 at the time, and could never afford an Apple until I got that II+. It had a bad power supply which I rebuilt with my dad's help. So that was my first Apple. I built my first PC around '90, a 386DX/33. Was big into the BBS scene, and I got my first taste of the internet on this machine through a dial up shell account... around '92, iirc. I built my first overclocked machine soon after, a 486DX2/66 o/c'd to 80MHz. I burnt it out shortly after that. Then I went through a part of my life that I barely remember and was out of the computer scene for like 3 years. I built my first linux box around '95. A DX4/100 purpose built with components that worked well with slackware. Also built a Pentium machine for gaming around that time. That was also my first Windows machine. I was supporting windows machines before that to make money, but I never felt the need to use one. It that same year a friend and I opened a consulting business and starting making boat loads of money. Computers became work, so I switched to cars. Got out of the consulting thing around 2001. Didn't need to work anymore so I started tinkering with computers again. You name it and I've had it... SGI workstations, various Macs, Sun SPARC workstations, PCs, etc.. etc.. etc... That's kinda where I stand now. I do a bit of consulting on the side, but mostly stay home with the wife and tinker with electronics.

As far everyday productive computer stuff goes I exclusively use Macs. For gaming I use Windows. That's all Windows is good for anyway... that and making lots of money for people who support it and keep that garbage working. Home server runs NetBSD. HTPC runs Arch Linux.

That's about it.

For me, the best OS released was XP. Till i saw Apple's Tiger.

-Loads up significantly faster than XP and (much more faster) than Vista.

-I dunno, but Vista gives me the impression to have a lot of places to look for when you're trying to set a simple config. Mac is so more transparent in this sense.

-Here in Mexico, its strange to have a Mac (well, with the TLC, its starting to be more common to see some MacBooks around). But it is even more strange to have an OS x in a PC. I feel really cool when people ask me "is that a mac?" (i put a sticker bundled with my iPod mini back in my laptop, looks good) Then they see thats its really OS X.

- To be different and original. Dont know about usa, but again, in Mexico is not common a Mac.

-Earlier, i used linux. I use it a lot cause i administrate a little mail server in my University. But, for me, it has a lot of incompatibilities....dont know, i just dont feel comfortable in it. Even less because its in English. I can use XP in english cause i memorized everything, so i really dont read the menues. But If something is in english, i just dont feel with it.

-But, most of all: I've been using my hackintosh over 3 months. Messenger, Office (even those are nicer in Mac), the dashboard is really cool, the "move your pointer in a corner to get the desktop, or all windows". I had to use my Desk PC (Vista on it) and i really felt annoyed with all those f*c**ng dialog boxes: "Updates available, virus DB is not updated", and the "are you really sure you want to run this? click Yes..."Sure?" click on Yes!, then "Really sure?" and finally clicked on "Ok! No! I understand anything can break Vista". :angel:

-I left my Vista PC downloading ******* in Bittorrent, and it was trying to restart because of some updates needed to take effect. What? I didn't told you to restart. Had to kill the process. And when i woke up, guess what? fuc*ing vista had its way and restarted. But it didnt updated well, and it crashed. My PC was turned on in the Boot stage beacuse of Vista. Angry, fixed it (not so big problem). Disabled AutoUpdate, and now what?? "Automatic Updates are turned off, click here to learn more" Learn More??? You stupid vista have to learn more about respect!!!

And oh i also was about to forget that in vista, or XP, it just ignores you when you're trying to do something. Example: You open an IE windows. Click on the location bar. Start typing, and in the middle of that, it loads something else, and gets the focus, and you have to click once again. And its often. Tiger do this too, but not so often. I feel like Win says "i dont care what you're doing, im your only OS and you own me respect"

-For me, Windows is like a woman hard to please (update me, buy me more ram, patch me, fix me, i dont feel like....etc). OS X is just a worker for you, and it is really excited about working for you.

Bye!!

A few reasons:

- My Q6600 NEVER crashes, hasn't crashed a SINGLE time since I've had it

- Same for my AMD rig

- No viruses

- Software is so much easier to use

- Terminal is far easier than Command Prompt

- Visual effects don't look tacky and cheap like they do on Windows

- I boycott Microsoft.

Bill Gates, being the aggressive tos**r that he is, does not deserve a penny of mine. NEVER bought a version of Windows and NEVER will. OS X all the way.

I have to agree with a lot of other folks.

I worked in a help desk type job for over 4 years. I also worked on the side for a while making house calls to work on computers.. was :P good money. I just simply got tired of working on them all the time.

I guess I've always had a love for Macs though. My family had an Apple IIe and a Mac Classic back in the day. Oddly enough, did nothing but play games on them (and get viruses all over the Mac Classic xD)

I had a friend that had a Mac. He showed me a bunch of stuff.. and a bunch of stuff that I'd never have to do ever again.

And yeah... it just works (with everything that I use on it). Definitely not hype on that statement, unlike some other ones.