what made you switch to mac?

turkeydog

98 posts in this topic

Well for one it wasn't the sub par, over-priced hardware :mellow:

I haven't entirely 'switched' yet (Even though I have the Mac Mini, my Windows Based Desktop is my main.), however after the next Macbook update I'm going to buy one. The main reason I am switching is because OS X is currently the best OS for mobile computing.

I haven't really switched. I have built 3 hackintoshes. I have explained here why I like Macs and OS X:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry486939 post#19

But I have also explained why I won't buy a Mac: Apple is mean when it comes to specs and greedy when it comes to prices. The whole matter has been for me only a big experiment. But at the end of the day I am a die-hard Linux user.With other words, I used OS X as my main OS for about a year, but finally I decided that Linux suits my needs better.

I have used my hackintosh for about a year now. I mainly used windows before that and a little ubuntu with XGL.

I like OSX but my only complaint is it's lack for gaming. I know there is cider and crossover but there's not many games supported for those and the true apple specs aren't exactly gaming rigs. I hate having to reboot into windows to play a game. and i know that's not what macs are really for in the 1st place but seems like it'd be easy for them to have more hardware options (vid cards).

but i like the ease of installing apps in osx and the dock so i dont have to navigate around in start | all programs to find my stuff. and have been using my hackintosh as my main computer for months now. i'm about to graduate college and get a job and soon married so there wont be time for games anyways. i'll just play them on my 360 on a big HD tv i'll buy when i get a job :-D

I had always been a Mac user, but they were too expensive. My mother got my Mac classic as a teacher, then we bought a Motorola Starmax which ran system 7 because it was almost affordable. After that, I never bought another Mac because the hardware prices are outrageous and they've never offered an affordable, upgradeable tower to home users. I came back to the Mac with OS X86 because I've always liked Mac, but I've always thought the prices were outlandish. The first computer I built was designed to be a hackintosh from the ground up.

Well, I'm a musician. Keyboardist formost. The first computer I purchased was an Acer Aspire 5100, and I loved it. Unfortunately for me, it had Windows XP Media Center on it, which was given a collective "Up yours" by every software company and hardware company working with computer based audio. When I made the move to Vista (which I do still like), the support for MIDI just wasn't there, and stability was a necessity.

Class Compliant MIDI support was the sole reason for my switch to Apple computers.

I had a loud and noisy desktop with a big bulky CRT, the desktop died on me and the CRT was going fast. My girl has had macs in the past (2 old powerbooks and now her macbook) and I've always liked them, so I gave it a shot and bought a macbook. Another reason was the software, Apple has the basics covered very well there (i.e. iPhoto) and a lot of shareware on the Mac side is very high quality and worth the small price attached to them. OS X has grown on me more than I ever thought it would, now I hate using my windows box at work.

I first switched during my senior year in high school when I started working for my local Apple dealer. During my freshman year of college at the University of Michigan, which was at the time largest Mac site in the world, almost everybody used Macs. Back then one of the only reasons not to switch was that the original Mac series (before the Mac II) was only grey scale, if you needed color you had to get a PC. Otherwise, it was the same old story with specific PC software not being availble on the Mac (hopefully this lame excuse it dead for ever now that we are on x86). There was no such thing as Windows when I started using Macs, it was still all DOS (no GUI, no comparison). I bought my first Mac in 1994, a PowerMac 7200/66 (first generation PPC CPU).

At the end of the ninities I decided to start programming professionally and sadly bought an HP PC because I felt the classic Mac OS was not a good development platform. However, I switched back after only a few years with OS X 10.0 (I even paid money for it, my first Cube came with OS 9) which was quite obviously going to be a great platform for writing software. I was also very interested in AltiVec because my work is fundamentally number crunching (but I never used AltiVec much at all).

Quite frankly I was sick of the same old {censored} from the M$ drones, and their countless armies of unstable Orwellian culture shock zombies. I switched to Slackware Linux. For 10 years I ran Linux as my primary desktop, and until 3 years ago I bought another Mac, and decided to use it for my hobbies. Linux is excellent, but gnome needs much less of a cluster-{censored} desktop. Great for someone like me, but intollerable for the lazy commie {censored}s out there that draw wellfare checks. KDE is out of the question. I don't want a windows clone. I like the Aqua interface a lot, along with the FreeBSD driven OS.

If most people knew what was in Windows (Don't ask how I know), they would throw it across the room, shout every obscenity at it in all human languages, and kill everyone that ran it on their machine, because they couldn't handle knowing what it has in it. The bowels of hell reside within windows, and bill gates is Satan. Windows is a demon {censored} child of an OS that follows NO rules but it's own. It is the worst platform on the market. If I had a TV, house, or vehicle that behaved like windows, I would demand my money back.

Once a year, my company holds a skeet contest where we skeet windows CDs with birdshot. Quite a number of people attend, and it is a 4 hour event with lots of hotdogs, pork, and burgers.

Hell is too good for some evil bastards.

post-18909-1194445894_thumb.jpg

{censored} vista made me do the switch.

i tried various linux distro and (i know some of you don't think so) all of them were either a pain in the ass or just obverbloated with things i will never need.

linux just offers to many choices and i'm not good in choices ;)

and i really regret that i ever laughed at mac users, osx (at least above tiger, i don't know the previous ones) is for me the most advanced OS when it comes to easy out of the box experience (even on a hack)

but apple hardware, they just don'T offer anything fitting my needs.

If most people knew what was in Windows (Don't ask how I know), they would throw it across the room, shout every obscenity at it in all human languages, and kill everyone that ran it on their machine, because they couldn't handle knowing what it has in it. The bowels of hell reside within windows, and bill gates is Satan. Windows is a demon {censored} child of an OS that follows NO rules but it's own. It is the worst platform on the market. If I had a TV, house, or vehicle that behaved like windows, I would demand my money back.

how do you know?

what do you mean?

what is in windows?

I'm curious ....

I fell in love with them once I saw a Quicksilver 800 in our design department in work. Then I knew I wanted one, it was a gorgeous design for its time and the OS looked amazing (10.0). My first mac was a sawtooth g4 which Upgraded to an 800mhz cpu to see if I could. Then I got a G5 Dual 2ghz but had to sell it when I split up with the fiancee to pay off some debts. Later I got one of those quicksilvers cheap when the design team got a G5 Powermac and an iMac G5. Lurked around here for a long time before finally getting the hardware together for my current rig and couldnt be happier. All the hardware upgrade /replacment and easy servicing advantages of a desktop pc with the power and eleganceof a mac. Currently doing a Macpro case mod for my baby. Vista finished me with windows, its an awful OS

I used a Mac all through Graphic Design at college but used a PC at home, at uni I bought a Vaio so I didn't have to use the Macs there. Then when I went to work for as a Graphic Designer they offered me a Mac and I took it.

I now have a G5 Powermac on my desk with a beefy spec.

A 1.83 Intel Mac Mini at home with 2gb RAM.

I just installed OS X on that old Vaio because I was bored of that being the only machine running Windows.

Not going back.

The OS i used before OSX was Gentoo, ditched windows back in 2001 ( when XP came out). I'm quite new to OS X, my first experience was December 06. My arm was twisted by a user called Headrush. I'll have to thank him for that

(The misserable {censored}) ;)

I just kind of grew up on both windows and Mac, windows I could play like small games, but Mac I could just have fun messing around with it for endless hours. I also prefer OsX over Vista, both are good but I'm a lot more familiar with OsX than Vista even though I use Vista as my main OS.

My first home computer was a Mac Performa 550 with System 7.5.5. Lovely little system. Then Windows 95 came around, and up until after graduating high school, I was a PC user. The Journalism computers used OSX 10.3, which I really liked. They also had OS 9, I knew how to use much more than the other students.

I began to favor OSX much more when I got my iMac G4 from eBay, and when I downloaded OSx86 10.4.8. I think it was confirmed I was starting to turn into a Mac user when I took the time to download the Leopard torrent and start from scratch.

I still use Windows XP as the root OS due to its 3945abg wireless card and x1400 video card support, not to mention using the built-in Finepoint tablet. If those were fixed in Leopard, however, I'd dump XP in a heartbeat.

Bofors

You don't mention that you have built several hackintoshes as well, and taught many of us how to do it in the process :)

That represents another kind of switch. A switch from Macintosh to Hackintosh.

When OSx86 started in the sumer of 2005, I was followed development closely but never really considered myself to be a potential hackintosh user. About January 2006, I needed more computer power that I figure I would try OSx86 because it was so much cheaper than buying a PowerMac Quad: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=7393 I also figured that I have nothing to lose, because I could always sell my hackintosh as a PC if necessary. But it work so well, with the arrival of OSx86 10.4.8 and Natit last year, that I switch from Macintosh to Hackintosh probably for good.

However, I still intend to buy real Apple Macintosh notebooks.

I switched to mac (and hack as well) because:

- I hate Microsoft from an technical/ethical point of view

- Windows is a buggy/bloated "happy-fun-fun" colored OS disguised as something you can work with but isn't.

- Linux does not support many apps that I need.

- Bill Gates looks like a frog I would like to stomp on.

- I love the fact that OSX is based on unix (and all the advantages this represents)

- Because I want the computer to be my slave and not the other way around.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

Cheers,

hecker

One magical hour in an apple class. My grandparents have had apples as long as I can remember. they have Apple Procare were they each get one apple class a week. well they went away for a week, and I got their class. the guy showed me what a mac could do, and at the end I was an Apple fan, switched from Microsoft to Apple in one hour.

If not for Windows only Software( mainly Solidworks), Ill be 100% mackintized ( on pc hardware ofcourse).

same for me.