Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for 10.5.x Leo - 10.9.x Mavericks

G5rocks

1,494 posts in this topic

Hi guys

Just saw this thread and wanted to join you with my small problems :-D

I installed Leo and updated it to 10.5.1 used efi V6 with boot_v5 for the bootloader.

But i was unable to use the kernel that Leo updated itself to, so i found a kernel that works (toh sleep_kernel) but i wondered if some of you have a real 10.5.1 kernel that works?

secondly my cpu is reported as a core 2 solo instead of core 2 duo, anyone have a solution to this, i have tried both the smbios kext from the efi patch and the one from vanilla kext´s that i found, but no luck.

Are you sure it was 'sinister'? Maybe they included it but didn't list it. Anyone know where I can download the 2403 bios? Its no longer on their site.
. . there was a very long wait [the other i975X mobos were listed] before the P5WDH was on the 45nm list.

Now all of 'em have been removed - possibly (personal theory) due to the weird power issues with the just-released 400MHz QX9770

I just checked my cpu temp in my bios and its running super hot! I'm at 75C and I havent even done anything extensive except browse the web for an hour. I deleted AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext or whatever. Anyone know of a way to bring my temp down?

Hi - had this PM from onemanstrash

"I had the 1901 bios and everything was working fine. I am running tiger 10.4.9. I have the ToH installed and running so I was getting ready to start tweaking it according to yours and BrazilMacs suggestions.

I downloaded and followed your instructions on updating the bios to 2403. I did everything you suggested. On reboot everything seemed fine. The only problem is I lost my firewire device showing up. I do music editing and composing and recording using a Presonus Firebox and now it doesn't show up. I have fire showing up in the system profiler but no device even though it lights up from the firewire bus. I have three hard drives; each with an OS: two tigers and one leo.

The device didn't show up on any of the reboots to all of the OS's. I plugged it in to my G4 and it showed up.

So my question to you is: can a bios update screw up firewire and if it can how can I fix it. I tried installing the previous bios but you can't go backwards. I read in your tutorial about forcing a bios load by removing all drives. Is this the only way to load a previous bios? Do I have to unload the update bios and only have the old bios loaded on the thumb drive?"

. . I did not find this issue; but do know . . .

Howto regress your P5WDH firmware:

1) You cannot do this from the excellent 'EZ-Flash' utility in the BIOS, & of course not from Windows, even if you had lost your mind & attempted to do something as delicate as BIOS-flashing from so unsafe an environment.

2) . . . so the job is going to be a small hassle & requires use of Windows (ugh), a DOS utility & (normally) a floppy drive:

The utility you need is called 'Afudos" & the specific version for the P5WDH is 2.11 - this may be downloaded here - I used this link & the file was OK.

You also need a real clean boot-floppy - suggest you scan then format one [in Windows], then go to bootdisk.com & d/l their very safe 'drflash' firmware-flashing floppy image - it writes (& verifies) itself to your floppy.

3) a list of downloadable firmwares [& much opinion, experiences, & advice] can be found here - the known-stable firmware I regress to when things go screwy is the 'larrywild' G0/45nm modded 2004

. . YMMV: I found firmwares 23xx to be unreliable [odd glitches with enabling/disabling onboard widgets] & those before 1902 to be iffy for OSX86. Many firmwares have one or more issues.

4) Download/extract your chosen firmware, rename it to P5WDH.ROM & copy it & Afudos v2.11 to your drflash floppy.

5) Reboot, enter the BIOS, set CPU MHz/multiplier to defaults, set the floppy-drive to precede any HDD in your boot-order.

6) Boot to the floppy, at the A: prompt type:

afudos /iP5WDH.ROM

7) When prompted to restart, shut the PC down. Follow the steps in post 122 to clear the CMOS.

8) Start, enter BIOS, & set the thing up. Firmware 2004 has pretty well all the tweaks available & working; plus all the settings you need for OSX86/pc_efi functionality.

2LMan:

When you wake from sleep, do you use the keyboard or click the mouse? For some reason when I wake from sleep with the mouse, I just get a black screen, but the keyboard works fine.

EDIT: Also, when you try and wake it from sleep, can you hear the hard drive and fans resuming, or just nothing?

Koaxial,

Thanks for the info. I am pretty well in agreement with what you have suggested for me to try. However, I'm still not having any luck with wake from sleep. I'm now beginning to think it is my video card (7600GT w/Natit from BrazilMac post install). The other thing is my Leo is on my 2nd partition and Vista on first partition, but I use darwin bootloader.

I'll keep playing. If I get it working I'll report back to this forum.

Hi Koaxial,

I have a P5W DH, I didn't know you can run a Xeon CPU! That's great! How does it run on your system? Is it faster than the Core 2 Duo's?

Many thanks,

Miro30

Can someone help me with sleep? I hit sleep and it does, but when I try to resume my screen stays black. Specs are in my sig. Thanks!
2LMan:

When you wake from sleep, do you use the keyboard or click the mouse? For some reason when I wake from sleep with the mouse, I just get a black screen, but the keyboard works fine.

EDIT: Also, when you try and wake it from sleep, can you hear the hard drive and fans resuming, or just nothing?

since there is still no concrete solution to this problem, let me share with you some of my experiences & observations.

as i've already mentioned in my previous posts, i've been able to get this board to sleep and wake up without an issue and believe it or not, even with the patched kernels on both tiger and leopard! doesn't matter whether i'm using ati, nvidia or even gma950 on the other board.

almost a week ago, i managed to install leopard and tiger on a gigabyte board (ga-945gcmx-s2) running under vanilla kernel. but after i installed the latest updates i lost the functionality of my old ps2 keyboard maybe because of the stock 'AppleACPIPlatform.kext' that is known to cause this problem. now, instead of buying a brand new usb keyboard to fix this, i bought this connectland's ps2 to usb converter (see pics below). i plugged both my ps2 keyboard & usb mouse into it (the mouse is connected through the green usb to ps2 connector). it did fix my problem but to my surprise it also fixed the sleep issue on this board. then i realized that on my p5w dh dlx system, my keyboard and mouse also connected into one usb port through a hub at the back of the apple cinema display. damned! have you noticed that even real macs connected their mouse and keyboard through a hub, which means using only a single usb port?

post-65600-1196517239_thumb.gif

not satisfied with what i've discovered, i plugged the mouse into one of the usb ports at the back of the p5w dh board and guess what, sleep did not work. the display remained black out even after resume .

BUT when i tried to plug the usb mouse at the back of the board next (horizontally) to where the apple cinema display's usb connector is connected, sleep and wake up worked perfectly!

how many regular pc users, including myself, minding of plugging our usb mouse & keyboard horizontally next to each other? as long as it fits at any place, right?

old folks used to say, "if it works for me, it should also work for you"! :(

Hi everyone,

I have installed leopard on my PC directly from the BrazilMac DVD.

Asus P5W DH, ATI X1950pro, Core2Duo.

Everything works fine except....

Graphic card fan runs at full speed - I can live with this

On sound input - would be nice, but not so important

DVD's don't play at all - this I want to fix

When I insert a DVD, the DVD player icon appears briefly in the dock, and disappears.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Success!!!!!!! It took a lot of work but it was well worth it.

*I formatted apple partition (default mbr) using diskutility in the jas dvd

*I installed Jas 10.4.8 booted into tiger making sure it works and

*then installed the kalyway make leo bootable cd

*I installed the BraziMac patched dvd that I made and then did the post patch.

The post patch was extremely difficult because the script is missing a dash in the name of the leo patch. Once I renamed it the patch ran fine.

I have dual monitors with qe and ci, sleep!, and all external devices just work. Amazing. Time machine doesn't work and each time I run repair disk permissions in disk utility I get a whole bunch of repairs that are the same each time I repair. Leo is so fast! It is so much better than Tiger.

So I want to update to efi and I am going to us the digitmemo install guide. I hope this fixes my permissions issues and my time machine.

Wish me luck, and thanks everyone for your help.

I'm trying to get the sound input working.

I've tried the ALC inject.kext, but this no joy.

Do I also need to have the AppleHDA.kext included and remove the AppleAzalia.kext?

I'm running 10.5.1, not with EFI, but re-patch with the BrazilMAc patch after the upgrade.

(Time mahcine is running fine)

Does anyone else have fully functional audio?

Paul

I'm trying to get the sound input working.

I've tried the ALC inject.kext, but this no joy.

Do I also need to have the AppleHDA.kext included and remove the AppleAzalia.kext?

I'm running 10.5.1, not with EFI, but re-patch with the BrazilMAc patch after the upgrade.

(Time mahcine is running fine)

Does anyone else have fully functional audio?

Paul

. . audio works fine: you can d/l a prepatched AppleHDA from this excellent P5WDH resource. Yes, you need to bin AppleAzalia.