Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for 10.5.x Leo - 10.9.x Mavericks

G5rocks

1,494 posts in this topic

SquidCombo,

I'm pretty sure that is normal behavior for digital output. If you output a digital stream from windows, it works that way too. I have Home Theater PC with Fiber optic out to Preamp/Processor and windows can't change the volume of the output.

Sietpicos,

WiFi is broken under Leo. There are several threads on this. The 8187 can't get an IP address, and so it self-assigns which means it drops the connection. Have to wait for RealTek to update drivers.

BTW, are you running AppleHDA.kext with your WiFi enabled. If you are, do you have any problems with shutdown?

Just checked on Apple Support forum and yeah, it seems that no volume control is the default behavior.

Lemming, I thought I had that problem after installing the network kext but after a few minutes it's working just fine.

If it still doesn't work for you, you could grab the network kext from BrazilMac's patch. Let me know if you can't find it. I can upload the kext for you.

SquidCombo - Thanks for the reply

I get the network problem even without installing the new network kext.

I have 2 channel working on a fresh installation, but as soon as I install the two audio kexts, the network stops working.

Maybe I have to change somwthing in the bios?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Just checked on Apple Support forum and yeah, it seems that no volume control is the default behavior.

Lemming, I thought I had that problem after installing the network kext but after a few minutes it's working just fine.

If it still doesn't work for you, you could grab the network kext from BrazilMac's patch. Let me know if you can't find it. I can upload the kext for you.

@Reptar

Thanks for your reply. I asked about WiFi as several people with Asus MoBo claim that it is working (even with p5W DH Deluxe).

BTW, I did not experience problems any shutdown problems with AppleHDA and WiFi while I had WiFi "activated".

Best regards

Sietepicos

Hi,

I have P5w dh with sata drive and raid. I have one partition on ide port which recognize sata port. My problem is TOH leopard doesn't recognize SATA drive at installation and after. All work fine but not SATA nor RAID.

Anybody have a solution?

thank you.

Laurent

Hi,

I have P5w dh with sata drive and raid. I have one partition on ide port which recognize sata port. My problem is TOH leopard doesn't recognize SATA drive at installation and after. All work fine but not SATA nor RAID.

Anybody have a solution?

thank you.

Laurent

. . the Intel 'firmware RAID' definitely won't work; the 'steelvine' SATA-splitter used on the P5WDH as the 'EZ-Backup' thingie *should* work, performance from the jmicron controller's SATA/PATA/'eSATA' is iffy.

It isn't entirely clear which ports you have your devices on: if you keep 'em on the Intel ICH7R's 3 SATA ports [plus one more if you disable the 'EZ-Backup' device] & one PATA port it all should work easy-peasy . . so long as you set SATA in the BIOS to AHCI mode.

Mail can not send with some of my pop accounts on leopard anymore (maybe i never could before but i didn't realized that - anyway it works still fine in tiger)

I remember there was a bug with the network and itunes registration on tiger (problem was the ranking of en0 etc names of the different physically available network interfaces) - maybe it's the same problem now with mail - i forgot how exactly i fixed that on tiger but it's written somewhere here on the forums. unfortunately i am off some days now and have no time to try to fix it now.

maybe this idea helps someone who has similar problems.

does the EZ-Backup thing actually do anything?? Even in windows? I connected a perfectly good SATA drive to it once and it just gave me bios errors at boot, and it didn't even show up in windows. I just wanted to use it for more SATA ports...

You can change one of those EZ-Backup SATA RAID ports into a regular SATA port.

Just take the two EZ-Backup jumpers off the motherboard (refer to the manual for location), then boot into the BIOS, go to "Advanced" choose "DH Feature Page" and set "EZ Backup RAID mode change" to enabled

Now save settings and exit

Upon reboot, you'll get a message saying that the mode has been changed

Now SATA port 1 of your EZ-Backup ports is now a regular SATA port.

The other one is disabled

I have a hard disk running on mine and it works fine

Enjoy

You can change one of those EZ-Backup SATA RAID ports into a regular SATA port.

Just take the two EZ-Backup jumpers off the motherboard (refer to the manual for location), then boot into the BIOS, go to "Advanced" choose "DH Feature Page" and set "EZ Backup RAID mode change" to enabled

Now save settings and exit

Upon reboot, you'll get a message saying that the mode has been changed

Now SATA port 1 of your EZ-Backup ports is now a regular SATA port.

The other one is disabled

I have a hard disk running on mine and it works fine

Enjoy

. . same here - has worked transparently as the 4th ICH7 for some while: thanks for the clear post.

Could someone outline exactly what they did to get this board to work with EFI + Vanilla kernel? I have been trying for over a week with no success getting the Vanilla kernel up and running. EFI fine, but no kernel. What exactly did you do? Also what BIOS version are you using in case that has something to do with it...

Could someone outline exactly what they did to get this board to work with EFI + Vanilla kernel? I have been trying for over a week with no success getting the Vanilla kernel up and running. EFI fine, but no kernel. What exactly did you do? Also what BIOS version are you using in case that has something to do with it...
. . BIOS 2403b (this is the first well-sorted 45nm firmware): used the Retail-Image-via-Pacifist-from-Tiger technique, to an HDD prepped with the PC_EFI v5.1 bootloader.

Updated to 10.5.1 [also using Pacifist from Tiger] before messing with the kexts.

Added: dsmos.kext; ALCInject.kext [from this superb P5WDH resource]; SiliconImage3132.kext; & NVInject

Removed: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Replaced: AppleSMBIOS.kext [from the PC_EFI v5.1 package], AppleHDA.kext; IONetworkingFamily.kext [both from the above source] - I had in fact patched this in a previous Leo install with the 'UUID/Time Machine' fix.

. . first boot was into full audio, video, bluetooth, & networking functionality, with the external eSATA drive selected for - & immediately working with - Time Machine.

What is "SiliconImage3132.kext"?

I'm running the EFI bootloader with the ToH Kernel. I have the dsmos.kext and installed the AppleSMBIOS.kext from the PC_EFI. Will it work to download and run the 10.5.1 combo updater? I had a Kernel Panic when i used the vanilla Kernel form the original 10.5 Install DVD (the one in the root folder of the dvd) and fixed my Leo from tiger by copying the ToH Kernel on it.

What is "SiliconImage3132.kext"?
. . for a PCIe eSATA card (see signature)

I'm running the EFI bootloader with the ToH Kernel. I have the dsmos.kext and installed the AppleSMBIOS.kext from the PC_EFI. Will it work to download and run the 10.5.1 combo updater? I had a Kernel Panic when i used the vanilla Kernel form the original 10.5 Install DVD (the one in the root folder of the dvd) and fixed my Leo from tiger by copying the ToH Kernel on it.
. . you *should* be able to sort the kernel panic with a vanilla kernel by fiddling with the BIOS. Could you boot with the -legacy flag?

What is the -legacy flag? My bios is the newest non beta - anything well known special to set up in the bios?
. . disable the 'Max CPUID value limit' setting, enable the 'Execute disable' function, vitualisation & ACPI v2. I disable speedstep. Different BIOS revisions have different amounts of tweakage - 2403b is pretty good.

wow - worked :D

I only changed all bios settings like you said and stayed on newest bios. Still shows only 3.12 GB Ram instead of 4GB but it shows P5W DH Deluxe now. :D

I've read some people were able to modify something to get "Mac Pro" written... does someone know how this works?

wow - worked :D

I only changed all bios settings like you said and stayed on newest bios. Still shows only 3.12 GB Ram instead of 4GB but it shows P5W DH Deluxe now. :D

I've read some people were able to modify something to get "Mac Pro" written... does someone know how this works?

. enable 'memory remapping' [you must have ACPI 2 enabled as well] - then you'll get all your RAM in OSX.

PC_EFI v5.1 [plus its new SMBIOS] show your hack as a 'Mac Pro' with a serial number.