Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for 10.5.x Leo - 10.9.x Mavericks

G5rocks

1,494 posts in this topic

I have one question. I'm running Leopard 10.5.1 with EFI and Vanilla kernel.

This partiton (let's call it 'A') where Leo is now, is too small for me. I need to move (or copy) Leopard to the another HFS+ partiton (let's call it 'B') which is larger.

So, what's the best way to do it? The Partiton A is 15gb large, and the partiton B is 50gb large.

no idea... but i have also a question: Disk Monitor shows a "320KB config disk" which can't be read - i guess this is from partitioning with windows. Is this "config disk" in any way important? Or can it be deleted/initialised so that i get rid of the annoying message after OS X finished booting?

no idea... but i have also a question: Disk Monitor shows a "320KB config disk" which can't be read - i guess this is from partitioning with windows. Is this "config disk" in any way important? Or can it be deleted/initialised so that i get rid of the annoying message after OS X finished booting?
. . do you have an HDD attached to the EZ-Backup ports?

[edit] . . . sleep? Really? What are your BIOS-settings? . . S3 forced? Auto?

no hd to the EZ Backup - i saw this little space on the partition in coronis partition maker when i cretaed partitions and was wondering about it - didn't found out how to get rid of it. but now on the mac it's shown as a real HD

yes sleep works perfect now - i will make pictures of all bios settings... brb

I can get my machine to sleep and wake up under 10.5.1 vanilla with EFI, but when it wakes up, I only get one display back, the video is blue, and the mouse, while it recognizes clicks, won't move. I've duplicated the BIOS settings that were posted and I'm running 2403. Any ideas?

After countless hours of trying, I found out exactly what it was I needed. Thanks to KoolKal on the OSX86scene forums:

works for p5w dh deluxe!!! you must simply tweak your bios setting!! execute disable fonction on enable ! Max cpuid on enable ! hpet enable! memory remap feature on enable! microcode updation on enable! acpi 2 support on yes ! acpi apic support on enablr!

voila! it' should work now!! with vanilla kernel!!

After countless hours of trying, I found out exactly what it was I needed. Thanks to KoolKal on the OSX86scene forums:

Actually you don't have to enable ACPI which is important if you are dual booting with XP (XP doesn't support ACPI, only Vista) but other than that, use the latest BIOS and you should be good to go!

. . this is seriously duff info.

XP Home/Pro is specifically designed to work best on ACPI platforms, & will install by default as an ACPI Uniprocessor PC . . . & XP Pro will install by default as an ACPI Multiprocessor PC (different XP kernel) if you have 2 or more cores/CPUs.

Because XP was designed to work with all sorts of elderly widgets, it is *possible* to install XP without ACPI [hit F5 at start on XP install, choose 'standard PC'] but this is a much less desirable HAL & the OS performs (even) worse.

For a modern [multicore] PC your only HAL choice other than ACPI is "MPS Multiprocessor PC" - which is wildly undesirable, having vary basic/no powersaving & tiresome interrupt configuration issues.

APIC = another level of h/w PIC specifically designed for SMP (multiprocessor) boxes - it is an extension to ACPI & gives more hardware interrupts to play with. This hardware should always be enabled unless you have a very buggy implementation of it.

ACPI rev 2 [backwards compatible to Rev 1] gives various goodies esp to do with memory configuration - you need this feature to enable memory remapping, & at a more exciting level need it to construct an SRAT if you are/were lucky enough to have a motherboard supporting NUMA [Non-Uniform Memory Allocation] - I remember this as a feature of SMP Opteron boxes giving them 11GB/s plus at a time when Xeon boxes were lucky to have 25% of this sort of memory bandwidth.

Are there any precautionary steps to take when upgrading to 10.5.1? Any kexts I should backup? My specs are in my sig. Thanks!

Also, I'm running the flat-image of leopard atm (not sure what install). Is it possible for me to just upgrade my current system? I have EFI installed and I'm running the ToH Speedstep kernel. What steps must I take to run the Vanilla kernel? Thanks again!!

Well you should probably try the Vanilla kernel on your current setup since you're running ToH. One thing you can do to test it is name it "mach_kernel.vanilla" instead of mach_kernel. Boot with F8, and where you would normally put "-v" put "mach_kernel.vanilla -v" so it preserves your working kernel. Don't forget to chmod 644 and chown root:wheel the file though.

I tried booting the Vanilla kernel on my laptop and it goes through ok but hangs on ntpdate. What is that?

Also, does anyone know how to turn virtualization back on once its been turned off?

And one more thing. I'm at bios 2004. What would be the easiest/safest way to upgrade?

What exactly does chmod and chown do?
. . . change mode & change owner [of a file]

. . . . I'm at bios 2004. What would be the easiest/safest way to upgrade?
. . what works for me & other cautious geeks is to use a FAT USB stick & to have 2x BIOS' on it.

One is a fallback/rescue known-to-work one [in your case 2004] which you have renamed to 'P5WDH.ROM'

T'other is whichever you want to try, renamed to the short form [8+3].

I suggest the 2403b BIOS, which is available here . . remember this is 1) a beta, 2) is apparently no longer on the Asus ftp . . but it is a great deal better than the official 2302 'final' IMHO - there are posts about it here

I renamed this to 'P5W2403B.ROM' & put it on the same USB stick as the rescue ROM.

Boot up with the USB stick in, enter the BIOS, choose 'Tools' then 'Asus EZ Flash' - using the tab & arrow-keys navigate to your USB stick, then select P5W2403B.ROM

Update, reboot, shut down.

Pull the power-cord out, press the start button [to drain any capacitors], take the side off your PC, remove the battery, just above the LH orange EZ-RAID SATA port you will find the 'CLRTC' jumpers.

Move this jumper from L+Centre to Centre+R . . leave there for about 15 seconds or so. Replace to L+Centre.

Replace battery. Plug in, fire up, enter BIOS, reset everything to the correct settings for OSX86. You will need to reset system time & so on.

. . the main advantage of 2403b over 23xx it that the settings to (say) disable or enable Audio will now 'stick' properly - they don't for many folk with the 23xx series.

NB - this above process is by far the safest & easiest way to properly flash a modern Asus mobo.

Never, ever, flash a mobo from Windows

Clearing the BIOS after an update is very important & failing to do so often/usually explains why folks don't see major changes after a firmware update.

NB2: If you completely bork things, booting with [only] the USB stick plugged in will trigger the BIOS to find any file called

P5WDH.ROM

. . . & auto-flash to your rescue firmware.

thanks for that hint ! have also working sleep now (only one monitor) with 10.4.10.

I played around with the settings - no changes .....it work with almost every config.

so it must be the bios :D

. . thank you for the info on sleep - yes; it looks like this 2403b BIOS is a major step forward.

I *might* try enabling sleep using a netkas SSE3/sleep kernel; but since a [more-or-less silent] 12v waterpump runs off one of the mobo headers I cannot risk any hint of a hacked S3 sleepstate turning the thing off after some random time - I have of course disabled the autofanspeed malarkey but don't entirely trust this.

(edit) . . durh: will connect the thing to a Molex & give sleep a try. Only snag might be my eSATA external [Time Machine] HDD definitely ain't under OSX spindown control.

Thanks Shoarthing! I have updated the bios before on my mobo and it just fried my chip. I didnt have a USB drive so I had to order a new chip from Asus. Also, I was messing with things last night trying to get my PC to boot the Vanilla kernel and I managed to mess it up ;)

I'm going to try a fresh install with my ToH DVD. Can anyone give me tips on how they got the Vanilla kernel running?