Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for 10.5.x Leo - 10.9.x Mavericks

G5rocks

1,494 posts in this topic

Thanks Shoarthing! I have updated the bios before on my mobo and it just fried my chip. I didnt have a USB drive so I had to order a new chip from Asus. Also, I was messing with things last night trying to get my PC to boot the Vanilla kernel and I managed to mess it up ;)

I'm going to try a fresh install with my ToH DVD. Can anyone give me tips on how they got the Vanilla kernel running?

. . these forums have a useful search function to the upper LH of each page, & this question has been asked & answered many, many times.

Basic idea is to install netkas' PC_EFI v5.x [& included AppleSMBIOS.kext]; then to install dsmos.kext & to install the vanilla kernel.

Backup [keep in root] the old mach_kernel renamed as mach_kernel_old - if things go titsup you can F8 then type the kernelname you wish to use

sudo chown -R root:wheel [address/file] any system-thing you install/change;

sudo chmod -R 755 [address/file] any new/replaced kexts; 644 the new kernel.

Delete [before restart]:

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

/System/Library/Extensions/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/kernelcache

Reliable guide to installing PC_EFI here

. . don't download any system-files using Leopard, or if you do find out how to remove the com.apple.quarantine extended attribute.

wow! efi_5.1 is working now. sleep is working perfectly too (sleeps either via the apple menu or by holding down the power button & wakes instantly by touching a key on the keyboard). also my machine now recognized as a "Mac Pro". :)

the key factor must only be the "Execute Disable Function=Enabled" in bios. tried to set the "ACPI 2.0 Support=No or Yes" & "Speedstep=Disabled or Enabled", the machine still booted in Leopard & sleep still worked. disabling the "Execute Disable Function" the machine just keeps on rebooting.

thanks to you all who figured this out! hmm.. why i didn't think of it. well, i really don't think i will be! :D

Update:

Even on "Max CPUID Value Limit=Disabled", "Virtualization Tech.=Enabled or Disabled" and "Memory Remap Feature=Enabled or Disabled" settings the machine still booted fine & sleep still worked. i'm on 2403 beta bios.

again, thanks to you all! :D

Update 2:

restarts & shutdowns work without an issue too! i always had trouble with shutdowns when i was using the patched kernels.

my display shutdown but not the system. well, i think this is it! :)

...and of course, a special thanks to netkas and company. without them, maybe we would still be chasing for a patch everytime an update comes out. but what do you think will happen to netkas work if indeed vmware or parallels hired him? :huh:

I just upgraded my bios to 2403b and have tried a variety of bios settings based on the info in this thread, but no luck with wake from sleep. My P5WDH just reboots rather than wake from sleep. I'm running Xeon 3060 (aka E6600) cpu and 10.5.1. I have efi 5.1v2 and both plain vanilla kernel 9.1 0 and ToH 9.1.0. same results. I am using AHCI, but have tried PATA Enhanced as well. More of my specs are in the signature

Any words of wisdom?

I just upgraded my bios to 2403b and have tried a variety of bios settings based on the info in this thread, but no luck with wake from sleep. My P5WDH just reboots rather than wake from sleep. I'm running Xeon 3060 (aka E6600) cpu and 10.5.1. I have efi 5.1v2 and both plain vanilla kernel 9.1 0 and ToH 9.1.0. same results. I am using AHCI, but have tried PATA Enhanced as well. More of my specs are in the signature

Any words of wisdom?

. . for sleep experiments, try running your CPU at default GHz & vcore.

. . for sleep experiments, try running your CPU at default GHz & vcore.

i'ts ok to run your cpu at any working ghz. but vcore yes, should be at default like in my case.

additional info, do not change the default "suspend mode=auto". tried to set this to S3, the system won't sleep

and the mouse cursor disappeared. also just leave the "repost video on s3 resume=no". if set to "yes" it sleeps ok

but wakes up without display.

just updated the tiger install (from jas 10.4.8. - 10.4.11 official combo) on 2nd partition. it booted just fine after the update.

it just inherits the pc_efi patch from the 1st partition (leo install). i never thought it was possible.

guess what? sleep is also working on the tiger partition! :D

i'm just sharing it to you guys. it could give some inspiration. :)

read my specs :(

lol i completly forgot about the ez raid ports , i remember hearing they're slower than the intel raid controller so i guess i completly overlooked that idea. Oh im assuming the other two you hd's you have soft raided dont need the raid option enabled in the bios, allowing you to select ahci for os x.

shoarthing/koaxial,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried setting everything to default/auto but no luck with wake from sleep. It always restarts. I'm sure it is something subtle I am missing. I am using USB keyboard and mouse, so I am thinking that may part of the problem. Are any of you having success with wake from sleep using USB to wake the computer?

My other thought is around the kernel. Most of my testing is vanilla 10.5.1 (9B18). Does that work for you?

This isn't a big deal for me, as I have gotten used to just shutting down. It's more the challenge of getting it to work.

Thanks for any help/

shoarthing/koaxial,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried setting everything to default/auto but no luck with wake from sleep. It always restarts. I'm sure it is something subtle I am missing. I am using USB keyboard and mouse, so I am thinking that may part of the problem. Are any of you having success with wake from sleep using USB to wake the computer?

My other thought is around the kernel. Most of my testing is vanilla 10.5.1 (9B18). Does that work for you?

This isn't a big deal for me, as I have gotten used to just shutting down. It's more the challenge of getting it to work.

Thanks for any help/

i'm now wondering how many p5wdh deluxe owners out there who managed to get thier system to sleep and wake up flawlessly under the vanilla kernel. i think we should keep this thread alive and post whatever your experiences so far, good or bad, especially with this pc_efi thingie. from what i saw in the other forums, there are still many p5wdh users that are struggling just to install & running the os. unlike the badaxe2 users who are eagerly helping each other and who are almost always bragging thier system. come on guys, p5wdh is better in my opinion. i was about to put this board into retirement and get the gigabyte ga-p35-dq6 or ds4 instead. but i changed my mind when i managed to finally run the vanilla kernel with the help of infos from this thread, of course. not only i'm running it on vanilla but also i'm able to get it to sleep & wake without a single problem. i knew from the start of my hackintoshing, there are a lot of users who are drooling (excuse my word) to get this to work on thier rigs no matter what kind of system they are using, even on amd machines.

now, my answer to your questions. yes, i'm using usb both keyboard & mouse (apple keyboard & mighty mouse specifically) connected at the back of the 23" apple cinema display. i've been through a lot of upgrades lately. i started with asus p5ld2 vm se, 17" lg lcd, ide hard drives, nvidia 7600 gs, etc. and my answer to your 2nd question. yes, the computer wakes up from sleep by touching a key on the keyboard or by pressing the mouse button. already updated to 10.5.1 (online) and yes, sleep is still working.

here's my install config. just in case you would asked:

i have 4x320gb SATA drives connected to the board. the 3 sata drives connected to sata1,sata2 & sata4 and the other one is connected to ez_raid1 (recognized as external hd in bios as well as in mac os x). i also have 1tb wd mybook pro connected to the firewire at the back of the board. my mac os x install is on the sata1. partitioned into 2 primaries (mbr) using the gparted magic (but diskutil is just fine as well). first, i installed the tiger on the 2nd partition then leopard on the 1st partition. as a result of this, i have a bootable leopard install courtesy of the previous tiger installation. then grab & apply the brazilmac postpatch, copy the vanilla kernel into the root, repair permissions, put the dsmos.kext & applesmbios.kext in /S/L/E. repair permissions, then booted using the jas 10.4.8 dvd. under the terminal, unmount the leo partition (disk0s1 in my case), apply the pc_efi_v51. restart & booted again to jas dvd and using the terminal, marked the 1st partition as active. reboot. crossed my fingers, pray... then the rest is history.

btw, i'm using an ati x1950xt gfx. a while ago i was at irc.osx86.hu. someone reports that the ati cards suck as they are the ones causing the problem for the system not to sleep. well, i could probed him wrong but i just it let go to keep us from further discussions.

one more thing, you MUST replace the applesmbios.kext after the install and after the postpatch with the one included in the pc_efi pkg.

tried to put the replaced applesmbios.kext back and my system won't sleep anymore. mouse cursor disappears. had to push to reset button to reboot.

sorry for this lengthy post/reply. feedbacks & criticisms are most welcome. happy hackintoshing to you all! :D

lol i completly forgot about the ez raid ports , i remember hearing they're slower than the intel raid controller so i guess i completly overlooked that idea. Oh im assuming the other two you hd's you have soft raided dont need the raid option enabled in the bios, allowing you to select ahci for os x.

I remember that someone wrote that in a thread - I can´t confirm that.

yes - soft-raid and ahci in bios :(

Well I know there is a tremendous amount written about leo installs. But as a p5w user I would love some feedback as to the best approach to take. I have succussfully installed the ToH by first formatting the drive using the kalway bootloader. I have sound working but no dual monitor. I have filesharing between my g4. Also dvd's won't play, even in VLC. I would guess this is a kernel issue?

But I have no idea where to go from here. Some people are using the Brasil mac patch and the Original Leo disk. My head is spinning.

My question is should I follow using the Brasil mac method even though I have the ToH working or should I start over using the Brasil mac, efi from netkas, and 10.5.1, bios update etc...

Thanks everyone.

Koaxial,

Thanks for the info. I am pretty well in agreement with what you have suggested for me to try. However, I'm still not having any luck with wake from sleep. I'm now beginning to think it is my video card (7600GT w/Natit from BrazilMac post install). The other thing is my Leo is on my 2nd partition and Vista on first partition, but I use darwin bootloader.

I'll keep playing. If I get it working I'll report back to this forum.

I just bought a 40" samsung 1080p HDTV and I'm using it as my monitor! Sorry to brag but I'm excited!

how does it feel? do you need a much bigger distance to use it? i'm thinking of this since 1.5 years esp for gaming on the mac - the chinese Amoi 1080p HDTVs got very good tests and i maybe wanted to buy one. but the samsungs with the glossy black case look so cool

I actually sit the same distance away, so I feel emmersed in my games! I have my 360 and my hackintosh hooked up to it. I am loving it! I would recomend not going over 40" though, you will have neck aches from following the mouse! I got this wonderful tv for $1149 on sale from $1899!

Now I'm broke...

NEW BIOS!

Asus hit us with a surprise update from 2403! The new bios is 2406 and can be found here.

Here are the release notes:

P5W DH Deluxe BIOS 2406

1. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

2. Finetune supervisor password control code

3. Finetune HD audio control code

Also, here is a boot logo for use with the ASUS Update Utility. I got this image of of rakis.net, and I love having the Apple logo there when I first boot up! It warms my heart knowing i have an almost perfect Hackintosh...

NEW BIOS!

Asus hit us with a surprise update from 2403! The new bios is 2406 and can be found here.

P5W DH Deluxe BIOS 2406

1. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

Also, here is a boot logo for use with the ASUS Update Utility. I got this image of of rakis.net, and I love having the Apple logo there when I first boot up! It warms my heart knowing i have an almost perfect Hackintosh...

How does the bios work ? Please, Tell US if you have sleep working and EFI, Please :(:D:P

NEW BIOS!

P5W DH Deluxe BIOS 2406

. . suggest anyone with firmware 2403/2403b [same thing] doesn't 'upgrade' to 2406.

Early reports suggest this firmware is less overclocker-friendly, & in a rather sinister move the P5WDH is no longer listed by Asus as 45nm-ready . . . it was listed prior to this release, as were all the i975X workstation mobos.