[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Hi. I have a Geforce 9500 GT with 1 G VRam. It is working only with NVEnabler_64.kext, with CI and QE. But in System Profiler it shows as Unknown Nvidia Card model

Have you tried GraphicsEnabler option in com.apple-Boot.plist? If your using Chameleon r3 or 4 - that card is supported and should show up in profiler. You just need to add this;

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
[color="#FF0000"] <string>-pci0</string>
       <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
       <string>Yes</string>	[/color]
</dict>
</plist>        

Alternatively get EFIStudio (google) and extract the EFI string for your card and put that string in com.apple.Boot.plist in which case add:

<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>  
      [color="#FF0000"]<key>device-properties</key>
       <string>the extracted string here</string>[/color]

Showing the device in profiler is just cosmetic and the fact its not showing there does not effect how it works so no real need to alter anything unless your obsessed about things showing in profiler - function is what matters not looks.

Have you tried GraphicsEnabler option in com.apple-Boot.plist? If your using Chameleon r3 or 4 - that card is supported and should show up in profiler. You just need to add this;

<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
</dict>
</plist>        

Alternatively get EFIStudio (google) and extract the EFI string for your card and put that string in com.apple.Boot.plist in which case add:

<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>  

Showing the device in profiler is just cosmetic and the fact its not showing there does not effect how it works so no real need to alter anything unless your obsessed about things showing in profiler - function is what matters not looks.

Got a Geforce 9500 GT to (512mb with DVI/HDMI/VGA); work's just fine with Graphics Enabler. OpenGL/QE/CI on all ports.

<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
</dict>
</plist>        

<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>  

Thank you DB1

I will try Graphic Enabler method. The EFI Studio method I tried. Without NV Enabler 64 I had no QE and CI. I still have Device List Properties in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Hi,

First of all thank you all, specially BlackCH, DB1 and Bikinifarm. Without all you efforts and sharing my hackintosh experience would have been surely worse.

I have installed BlackCH's P5k-VM bootdisk following all instructions carefully (I think it has a typo -misses a comma between the two Pstate strings in the example-, don't know if that matters).

I have upgraded to DSDT 3.3 and fakesmc 2.5.

P5k-VM barebone flashed with stock P5k-VM bios 1001.

Only thing that fails is sound. I hear a cracking noise when booting (before login screen), and every time the sound device "wakes up", for example when it has been idle some time, when I copy a file and that triggers the "copied" sound. It does it on every output (internal speakers, line out, headphones).

Otherwise than that sound is great, and I have microphone, which I didn't have with VoodooHDA.

Pls help, it's the only thing that keeps me from having a perfect vanilla 10.6.2!

after using dsdt3.3 my ps2 keyboard stopped working any one help!!!! :)

S**t sorry we should have made it clear most are using USB or Bluetooth keyboard / mice and the recent dsdt's are not configured to suit PS2. If i get time tomorrow I'll try to find a solution for you.

Hang on! I just noticed your signature says you have USB keyboard & mouse - is that out of date or do you have a specific reason for needing PS2?

Ps2 keyboard always works during startup (unless disabled in bios) if you need to access Bios, but with the recent provided dsdt once into load of OS, PS2 becomes none functional.

S**t sorry we should have made it clear most are using USB or Bluetooth keyboard / mice and the recent dsdt's are not configured to suit PS2. If i get time tomorrow I'll try to find a solution for you.

Hang on! I just noticed your signature says you have USB keyboard & mouse - is that out of date or do you have a specific reason for needing PS2?

Ps2 keyboard always works during startup (unless disabled in bios) if you need to access Bios, but with the recent provided dsdt once into load of OS, PS2 becomes none functional.

thanks for a quick reply and i have updated my signature

EDIT

problem solved now i bought a ps2 to usb converter. But thanks anyway this community is great........... :unsure:

@db1/BlackCH

I recently picked up a wireless dongle Airlink101 AWLL6075 for $16 to add wireless to my P5K-VM for occasional use.

It has a Realtek RTL8191S chip. When I plug this into my P5K-VM rig, and install its software, it simply does not work. But I insert it my Dell Mini 9 hackintosh, it does work fine with its own software.

On the P5K-VM, it does show up in 'About this Mac', and 'More Info' but non-functional otherwise. (I can provide IORegistry info if there is curiosity). Would you have an idea as to what the issue might be on the P5K-VM?

This is not the prettiest 802.11N solution out there either. Its own software is a hack to show itself as a pseudo wired connection in the control panel, handling wireless connections through its application. Got me scratching my head about how to make it show up under wireless using its kext.

@db1/BlackCH

I recently picked up a wireless dongle Airlink101 AWLL6075 for $16 to add wireless to my P5K-VM for occasional use.

It has a Realtek RTL8191S chip. When I plug this into my P5K-VM rig, and install its software, it simply does not work. But I insert it my Dell Mini 9 hackintosh, it does work fine with its own software.

On the P5K-VM, it does show up in 'About this Mac', and 'More Info' but non-functional otherwise. (I can provide IORegistry info if there is curiosity). Would you have an idea as to what the issue might be on the P5K-VM?

This is not the prettiest 802.11N solution out there either. Its own software is a hack to show itself as a pseudo wired connection in the control panel, handling wireless connections through its application. Got me scratching my head about how to make it show up under wireless using its kext.

A nice cheap way to get wireless n. Why don't you compare the IOREG with the one you get from the Dell and see what differences, then you might get an idea whats missing to get it working. Could just be an device id trick or minor alteration to the kext needed.

A nice cheap way to get wireless n. Why don't you compare the IOREG with the one you get from the Dell and see what differences, then you might get an idea whats missing to get it working. Could just be an device id trick or minor alteration to the kext needed.

Sounds like a good idea. Let me see what I get...

After upgrading to 10.6.2, I'm getting some random kernel panics.

After removing AppleIntelCPU* kexts from /S/L/E, I get less kernel panics, but at random times, I see a kernel panic with the current process(warmd, safari, etc.)

The kernel error message is page fault type=14, I don't see additional messages. The system was up yesterday for about 10 hours.

QE is working fine as well as any other kexts. I'll try removing jmicronata to see if it helps, I have ahci setup in my bios so I guess I don't need jmicronata kext.

Removing jmicronata kext gave me a type 13 kernel panic, general protection.

Any other suggestions?

After removing AppleIntelCPU* kexts from /S/L/E, I get less kernel panics, but at random times, I see a kernel panic with the current process(warmd, safari, etc.)

The kernel error message is page fault type=14, I don't see additional messages. The system was up yesterday for about 10 hours.

QE is working fine as well as any other kexts. I'll try removing jmicronata to see if it helps, I have ahci setup in my bios so I guess I don't need jmicronata kext.

Any other suggestions?

The software set-up developed here in this thread results in 0 kernel panics in my case. I have not seen one in ages. One of my worst experiences with kernel panics was related to hardware, not software. I had a defective memory module that KP'ed only during heavy memory use, that took month and a half to track down. So, if you are fully compliant with the methods described here, and can not track it down, consider memory, heat management, and other hardware issues as well.

Any other suggestions?

vcobra... i had a similar situation... i installed using BlackCH's method but applied all his kexts etc. before upgrading to 10.6.2... once i upgraded, i got random KPs... i then proceeded to re-apply his 'double-clickable' package of custom kexts and the random KPs seemed to go away... hope that helps...

Hi everyone here is my dsdt 3.3 fixed for ps2 keyboard and it is working 100%. Everything is working now sleep, restart,shutdown.

@Navjot tomer - thanks for your contribution, you saved me a job.

What's a kernel panic!

Ok guy's & gal's it's a while since we played with dsdt so I have been the past couple of days. The new version DB1v3.4 is reduced and optimised as far as I dare and still has all the needed functionality. The last dsdt.dsl (v3.3) weighed in at 90 Kb with the aml being 8 Kb, now v3.4 dsl is 16 kb while the aml is 4 kb. Yes aml is half the size!

I do not now do device id swapping in dsdt, nor do I do GFX. GFX is handled by GraphicsEnabler in com.apple.Boot.plist utilising the injection from Chameleon boot. Also my device id injection is via efi string.

As before you can choose to or not have ATA/IDE JMicron just comment out (/*……*/) or remove the section from dsl if you don't need it before compiling. (You need the kept if you do use JMicron).

DB1_v3.4_dsdt.dsl.zip DevID.hex.zip DevID.plist.zip

If GraphicsEnabler does not work for you and you have an efi string for GFX you can combine it with the device id (DevID.hex) string provided using OSX86Tools. Or the least favoured method is to inject via dsdt, review your previous dsdt (or one I posted previous) for placement in new dsl. DevID.plist is also provided if you want to put them in your com.apple.boot.plist instead of the efi string.

So if you wanted you could do dev ids via plist, graphics by string or dsdt or dev ids by plist or string and graphics by GraphicsEnabler or dsdt.

As previous you need to match with your own cpu's PSS section for speed stepping & change " OperationRegion (BIOS………………..) to match what you had previous.

Happy Hacking.

Thanks guys, I did a "{censored}" installation from Leopard 10.5.6 and it were probably some permissions issues. I still have ownership issues but it doesn't prevent me from running the OS. I wish I could still go through all the patching and the hacking, but I don't have the will, time anymore :-). Kind of remind me of Linux about 10 years ago, couple of alnighters...

I noticed that my kernel panics disappeared after putting back AppleIntelCPU* kexts as well as NullCPUPowerManagement kext. I also had the iphone SDK forced installation(checksum failed). But anyway, I uninstalled the SDK repaired some of the permissions I could repair with diskutil(still some folders ownership issues but it's fine).

Thanks for all the help. All guys helping in this thread, thanks for sharing the knowledge and your experiences, it's a great time saviour.

would u plz share me your overclocking detail as vcore , fsb ratio thanks

Obviously dsdt v3.4 works fine for you so thats good.

OC wise my settings are:

Advanced>Jumper Free Configuration> Ai Over clock Tuner = Manual, CPU Ratio = Auto, FSB = 300, PCIE Frequency = Auto, DRAM frequency = Auto, DRAM timing = Auto, Transaction Booster = Auto, CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled, PCIE Spread spectrum = Disabled, CPU Voltage = 1.5v, DRAM Voltage = Auto

Advanced>CPU Configuration CPU Ratio = auto, C1E Support = Enabled, Max CPUID Value Limit = Disabled, CPU TM Function = Enabled, Execute Disable Bit = Enabled, Intel Speed Step Tech = Enabled.

Set as this it gives 3.3Ghz as manual sets multiplier at 11 (E4500 is unlocked and has multis 6 to 11) and have been set at this for over 12 months. I have been at 3.6Ghz stable but had to vcore up to v1.6 and no playing with RAM timing or voltage but dont like the higher CPU voltage and cannot be bothered to play with the ram.

I'm water cooled (CPU Temp 26c) so with these very slack setting it's rock solid so I'm fairly happy with a 50% increase . It's possible with CPU lapping, good ram, ram timing and voltage tweaking to hit 4Ghz.

When I was air cooled settings were same except FSB = 265 (2.9Ghz) and Vcore = Auto and that was rock solid.

Let us know how you get on.

Obviously dsdt v3.4 works fine for you so thats good.

OC wise my settings are:

Advanced>Jumper Free Configuration> Ai Over clock Tuner = Manual, CPU Ratio = Auto, FSB = 300, PCIE Frequency = Auto, DRAM frequency = Auto, DRAM timing = Auto, Transaction Booster = Auto, CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled, PCIE Spread spectrum = Disabled, CPU Voltage = 1.5v, DRAM Voltage = Auto

Advanced>CPU Configuration CPU Ratio = auto, C1E Support = Enabled, Max CPUID Value Limit = Disabled, CPU TM Function = Enabled, Execute Disable Bit = Enabled, Intel Speed Step Tech = Enabled.

Set as this it gives 3.3Ghz as manual sets multiplier at 11 (E4500 is unlocked and has multis 6 to 11) and have been set at this for over 12 months. I have been at 3.6Ghz stable but had to vcore up to v1.6 and no playing with RAM timing or voltage but dont like the higher CPU voltage and cannot be bothered to play with the ram.

I'm water cooled (CPU Temp 26c) so with these very slack setting it's rock solid so I'm fairly happy with a 50% increase . It's possible with CPU lapping, good ram, ram timing and voltage tweaking to hit 4Ghz.

When I was air cooled settings were same except FSB = 265 (2.9Ghz) and Vcore = Auto and that was rock solid.

Let us know how you get on.

thanks db1 , I managed it to work at 2.93 with vcore 1.43 and i think it is good enough for air cooled system.

actually i never used vore above 1.38 but very stable as of now after 2 hours of orthos session. :(

@DB1: I updated your dsdt v3.4 with the Q6600 Quad Core cpu, and my 'OperationRegion'. Everything seems to work, except the FireWire 800 card that I have is once again missing in action. You may have to kindly do what you did last time to bring it back.

The OperationRegion parameter in my case went from:

[DB1: 3.4] OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0x7FF8E090, One)

[bikinifarm: 3.4] OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0xCFF8E064, 0xFF)

but, it was:

[DB1: 3.3] OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0x7FF8E064, 0xFF)

Is it supposed to be 0xFF or One? Many thanks...

PS. The dsdt I am uploading should be good for other people with Q6600 who do not have the FW800 card. You will probably need to update it with your 'OperationRegion' parameter.

DB1_v3.4_dsdt.Q6600.dsl.zip

I updated to DSDT v3.4, and now everything, EVERYTHING works like a charm! Thx DB1! Before 3.4 speedstep doesn't work well for me (only lowest and highest state, w/o voltage gain), and with 3.4 basically speedstep doesn't work anymore, but changed in smbios from Mac1,1 to Mac3,1, and now, speedstep works like never before, perfectly (4 states, w. voltages). My system now rock stable.

Thx again!

except the FireWire 800 card that I have is once again missing in action. You may have to kindly do what you did last time to bring it back.

Well spotted! I don't have any firewire devices so it's never on my radar. The update with FWHD & FRWR.

DB1_v3.4_FWR_dsdt.dsl.zip UPDATE: see later post

The OperationRegion parameter in my case went from:

[DB1: 3.4] OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0x7FF8E090, One)

[bikinifarm: 3.4] OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0xCFF8E064, 0xFF)

but, it was:

[DB1: 3.3] OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0x7FF8E064, 0xFF)

Is it supposed to be 0xFF or One? Many thanks...

PS. The dsdt I am uploading should be good for other people with Q6600 who do not have the FW800 card. You will probably need to update it with your 'OperationRegion' parameter.

It should always be what you have in your original extracted dsdt and will only need to be changed if you change your bios version.

You got a sharp eye my friend! My Bios OperationRegion change is because just before xmas I was doing some Bios hacking to replace the dsdt in there, I had a little mishap and wiped the Bios EEPROM. Had to get a replacement chip and solder it on the board - no mean feat I can tell you, you don't want to go there. The new chip came with 0902 bios and I was so keen to get up and running again I just did not update to 1001.

........but changed in smbios from Mac1,1 to Mac3,1, and now, speedstep works like never before, perfectly (4 states, w. voltages). My system now rock stable.
Great speed stepping sorted for you and a solid running box - Yes version in SMBIOS can make a difference, I don't use the AGPM or SMC kexts but use iMac10.1 as my version identifier and it works great for me - the fewer hacked kexts the better is my motto. I'm down to 4 additional kext.

Is anyone have idea how to configure 7.1 channel sound, it is working in 5.1 now ???????????????

It should be enabled for 7.1 but I don't have the gear to check - anyone else running 7.1??? I might have a trick that could help, just need some feedback first.