[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

Just going through my install now. How do I do get this...

-A clean DSDT dump (decompiled) from your board made from Linux (with acpidump) or

from Windows with Everest 5.01.1700 or higher

I have everest installed on my windows HDD. But can't find an option in the program to get this. I've tried selecting the motherboard then doing a 'quick report' to a text document. Is that what I'm after?

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I don't want to mess things up

Cheers.

ps. Thanks for help so far

I have everest installed on my windows HDD. But can't find an option in the program to get this. I've tried selecting the motherboard then doing a 'quick report' to a text document. Is that what I'm after?

Look here

Dump only the DSDT table. I think you will get a .dat file with everest; you should change the extension to .aml to be able to decompile with IASLme.app. After decompiled you should get a .dsl file that you can open with text editor.

Thanks for all that..!! Can you help me in this regard?

My budget is $500, and thats REALLY pushing it, probably closer to $400 would be better.

I looked into the 1201N just today. I'll admit it looks good. Memory Upgradable to 8GB seemed good til I realized the Windows 32-bit couldn't support more than 3GB. I also just don't like the styling as much as the HP, just personal preference.I found a refurbished Mini 311 for $399. I may go with that but I am still comparing. I'll probably run the 2GB ram for a while.

TIA.

Wallion..!

hey guys,

snow leopard works nearly perfect on my pc. the only problem is that sleep and shut down doesn't work. i use this kexts: fakesmc, legaceyapplehdahardwareconfigdriver, legaceyhdacontroller, legaceyhdaplatformdriver, legaceyioahciblockstorage, legaceyyukon2, openhaltrestart, platformuuid. and i use a dsdt that was posted from HacOSXuser in the forum. the graphic card should be right but i think there isnt the right cpu. could this be the problem?

dsdt.zip

hey guys,

snow leopard works nearly perfect on my pc. the only problem is that sleep and shut down doesn't work. i use this kexts: fakesmc, legaceyapplehdahardwareconfigdriver, legaceyhdacontroller, legaceyhdaplatformdriver, legaceyioahciblockstorage, legaceyyukon2, openhaltrestart, platformuuid. and i use a dsdt that was posted from HacOSXuser in the forum. the graphic card should be right but i think there isnt the right cpu. could this be the problem?

Far to many unneeded kexts. Read from page 40 on and you will find all the answers and files you need.

We are currently running snow 10.6.2 99% working with sleep and restart. Only 3/4 kexts are needed. In my case: fakesmc.kext, JmicronATA.kext and P5K-VM.kext (this last one replace legaceyapplehdahardwareconfigdriver, legaceyhdacontroller, legaceyhdaplatformdriver, legaceyioahciblockstorage, legaceyyukon2 kexts).

Its better if you upgrade to chameleon RC5pre12 (it eliminates the need of platformUUID.kext and openhaltrestart.kext). And you need to check the on-board USB jumpers config to make sleep/restart work properly.

Check the link on my signature too

hey guys,

The dsdt your using is wrong for both your cpu & graphics if your signature is correct. Q6600 & 9400 GT

Try this:P5k_vm_Q6600.zip

Hey guys, just a little update.

It seems that the new AppleHDA.kext v1.8.1 it will give us problems. This kext comes from a retail 10.6.2 dvd and is newer than the one you get from the apple 10.6.2 update. I havent look on to it too much but the first attempt to do new LegacyHDA kexts didnt work.

I put the kext here just in case some of you want to have a look to anticipate the 10.6.3 update:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tzniwjwmtkm/..._1.8.1.kext.zip

Morning guys. I got my snow install working at a basic level. I haven't tried all the tweaking yet to get sleep and stuff working. That's my job for the weekend.

I was wondering though, after I've got the system set up as I like it, is it possible to restore from a timemachine backup I have from my Macbook Pro? It's on the same software version. I just don't want to destroy my new install.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks.

Also, maybe not the forum to discuss this but I now have a 10.5 and 10.6 installed in my PC. Both on seperate drives. However, the 10.6 only boots under ACHI and the 10.5 only boots under IDE. Can anyone point me in the direction of a way to get my 10.5 to boot under ACHI without a reinstall? If I switch it ACHI at the minute the BIOS doesn't even recognise the drive.

Thanks again

Matt

Hey guys, just a little update.

It seems that the new AppleHDA.kext v1.8.1 it will give us problems. This kext comes from a retail 10.6.2 dvd and is newer than the one you get from the apple 10.6.2 update. I havent look on to it too much but the first attempt to do new LegacyHDA kexts didnt work.

I put the kext here just in case some of you want to have a look to anticipate the 10.6.3 update:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tzniwjwmtkm/..._1.8.1.kext.zip

I've been looking into this a little bit more closer. AppleHDA binary, AppleHDAController binary and AppleMikeyDriver have changed but if you only replace the AppleHDA binary with the older (1.7.9) version everything seems to work as before... doesnt look good/easy to fix.

• 2 weeks later...
You will loose sound (backup AppleHDA.kext). Other than that I guess it'll be fine, but I cannot try it right now.

Alright, here is the scoop with DSDT 3.3 + 10.6.3.

Sound is gone, just like what BlackCH is saying. Using the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext does not bring it back, whether it is in /Extra or /System/Library/Extension.

Sleep/Shut down seems to work fine

I do not see other problems but time will tell.

EDIT: I swapped the AppleHDA binary per BlackCH's recommendation a couple posts up. Got audio back.

It seems the new hda kext needs binary patching:

With a hex editor open the AppleHDA binary file, find '8508EC10' (hex) occurrences (four times I think) and replace them for '8308EC10' (hex). I havent tryed myself but I guess that would do

EDIT: Confirmed working

With a hex editor open the AppleHDA binary file, find '8508EC10' (hex) occurrences (four times I think) and replace them for '8308EC10' (hex). I havent tryed myself but I guess that would do

Will try tomorrow and report back...

Hi. I have upgraded the system to 10.6.3 and now I have problems with video and audio.

Video: Gigabyte 9400 GT (1G GDDR2). Even I am using NVEnabler 64.kext, or the string in com.apple.Boot.plist, the video is not working. It shows only 1280 x 1024 resolution. In System Profiler it says: ATI Radeon HD 2400 (maybe because of the DSDT).

Audio: I tried to replace AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2. Not working. I edited the binary of the AppleHDA in 10.6.3 (/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA, if this is the binary file) and not working.

I don't know how to compile a dsdt, please help me.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.08 GHz CPU, no other cards than this 9400 GT.

kexts in /Extra/Extensions:

AHCIPortInjector, AppleHDA, AppleRTC, ATAPortInjector, fakesmc, HDAEnabler, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, IONetworkingFamily, JMicronATA, LegacyMB36xSATA, NullCPUPowerManagement, NVdarwin, NVEnabler 64, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID, skge, VoodooHDA_21X64, VoodooHDA

10.6.2 worked well with these kexts.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Confirmed working

Confirmed here as well. Works well...

Confirmed here as well. Works well...

I tried this but not working here. The binary file is that one located in /Contents/MaOS/AppleHDA ?

if yes, where to be placed? /Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions or both.

I tried this but not working here. The binary file is that one located in /Contents/MaOS/AppleHDA ?

if yes, where to be placed? /Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions or both.

Yes, /Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA. I used to HexEdit to find and replace per BlackCH's instructions. I placed it in the /S/L/E. Regarding your earlier posting, you seem to have deviated from the recipe that BlackCH and DB1 have been championing here. Therefore, your extra folder does not match what I have been using:

fakesmc

OSXrestart

P5K-VM

PlatformUUID (is unnecessary now)

VoodooMonitor (optional)

dsdt 3.3

Yes, /Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA. I used to HexEdit to find and replace per BlackCH's instructions. I placed it in the /S/L/E. Regarding your earlier posting, you seem to have deviated from the recipe that BlackCH and DB1 have been championing here. Therefore, your extra folder does not match what I have been using:

fakesmc

OSXrestart

P5K-VM

VoodooMonitor (optional)

dsdt 3.3

I am sorry. Not my intention to deviate from any recipe. I just asked. My extra is like this because I had an earlier installation, before BlackCH posted his boot CD. I have that installation on the other Hackintosh at home, but there I have a Geforce 7300 GS and I am very afraid to update yet, until I will find somewhere the solution for that graphic card. Is this safe now to remove the all kexts from my /Extra/Extensions and to install those from the BlackCH boot CD? I really don't want to mess all system and to install from 0. Can you attach a dsdt 3.3? Thank you in advance.

fakesmc

OSXrestart

P5K-VM

VoodooMonitor (optional)

dsdt 3.3

Worked finally with these kexts in /Extra. Thank you a lot.

Bikinifarm, BlackCH, can 1 of you post the final patched file that we should use after the update?

It would be awesome if you could write in 4 line the composite step 1, step 2, 3 & 4 as to the steps to this path. Just saying so that we can still keep our directories clean etc.

Much appreciated.

Bikinifarm, BlackCH, can 1 of you post the final patched file that we should use after the update?

It would be awesome if you could write in 4 line the composite step 1, step 2, 3 & 4 as to the steps to this path. Just saying so that we can still keep our directories clean etc.

Much appreciated.

Here it is, attached at the bottom. This is the AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.3 modified per BlackCH's instructions above. I am not sure what you are talking about the steps you mention.

Can you attach a dsdt 3.3?

Was posted way earlier.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

fakesmc

OSXrestart

P5K-VM

VoodooMonitor (optional)

dsdt 3.3

If you update to chameleon RC5 (pre-release012) you wont need OSXRestart.kext, nor PltaformUUID.kext.

Currenly using:

Fakesmc.kext

P5K-VM.kext

JmicronATA.kext

dsdt 3.2

Also this new Chameleon version has embedded memory auto-detect function

Alright, here is the scoop with DSDT 3.3 + 10.6.3.

Sound is gone, just like what BlackCH is saying. Using the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext does not bring it back, whether it is in /Extra or /System/Library/Extension.

Sleep/Shut down seems to work fine

I do not see other problems but time will tell.

EDIT: I swapped the AppleHDA binary per BlackCH's recommendation a couple posts up. Got audio back.

HI bikinifarm. Though you've been pretty much delving deeper on this mobo along with BlackCH and DB1 who've practically disassembled the entire board. Much heart felt thanks (for making everything work) to you guys.

But, Just stumbled on the latest update. Dwnlded it and applied the fix, after removing the 64bit VoodooHDA.kext version 2.43 that had everything working on my rig.

As you've said, or come across,

Post installation, the SysProfiler does show all the nodes, ports, etc. of the ALC883, as I have mine filled into the DSDT, though not completely.

But there was no audio device listed in System Preferences. Neither was sound working.

Then, as a primary resource, I just booted in a backup Leopard 10.5.6, (which is my 'rescue disk') and put in the older AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2. Using Audio Midi Setup, made a Quadrophonic Aggregate Device and got surround sound. Though, earlier using the 2.43 VoodooHDA.kext I was getting 5.1 surround on my Creative T6060 which has a separate center speaker. Currently it is disabled. Let me see if the hex edited 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext will fix this issue. I hope so... desperately.

And Audio does work. Maybe it's permissions, et al.

While writing this, I just will try the Hex Editing the 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext that you both have experimented upon,

and post the results as feedback.

If it helps for those looking forward to applying the update, My system booted way faster, Autoload items like:

ESET nod32

Namely

VNC server

Blitz

Menumeters

Anxiety

Network Monitor

are loaded like instantly.

Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Shakespeer (with 1.64 TB sharing), utorrent, VMware Fusion 3.0, iWork apps, Word and Powerpoint launch like 50% faster than before.

Coz these are the primary apps that I use.

More in next post.

Btw, I really need help from you three guys regarding GeekBench. It loads and quits automatically, so I can't benchmark the new results. It began after I;'d applied the 10.6.1 update, and updated the Dyld shared cache using the latest OSX86 tools, and even Cocktail.

The 32bit and 64-Bit intel versions crash. Strangely the PPC version does run and produces results, which are lower than the native Intel versions. I have saved results that I benchmarked before applying the 10.6.1 update.

Ever since, it is that application only which has gone rogue.

Looking forward to answers and more evolutionary inputs from you, me and others.

Regards,

FreakyChokra