[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Having a problem with no sound...tried all 6 ports.

Clean install using BlackCH new bootdisc method with SL DVD. Installed the package.

All line-ins/line-outs show up in Audio under System Profiler. Any suggestions?

P.S. 8400GS video works great with Lizard injector option. Got the cool graphics intro at 1st boot too!

P.S.S. I know it's not speakers...boot from Windows USB stick and sound works fine.

What type of speaker set up do you have?

If it's a single plug in you need to set to Internal Speakers in System Preferences/Sound/output tab and use the green out port.

What type of speaker set up do you have?

If it's a single plug in you need to set to Internal Speakers in System Preferences/Sound/output tab and use the green out port.

2.0 speakers, single plug.

That was it! I guess the BlackCH package now defaults to Headphones. It didn't used to (used prior on 10.5.6 and 10.5.7). The sound is now crystal clear! Never could get anything other than VoodooHD working on 10.5.8.

Thanks!

Hello DB1 and BlackCH first thank you so much to make our P5K-VM work like it is today :D

Second i have a little question to you.Can you make the new DSDT witouth speed step an GFX string included ? I would spend you a beer or something :P

Best Regards

Firas

Hello DB1 and BlackCH first thank you so much to make our P5K-VM work like it is today :D

Second i have a little question to you.Can you make the new DSDT witouth speed step an GFX string included ? I would spend you a beer or something :(

Best Regards

Firas

Taking out speed stepping is easy just remove PSS section and the alias PSS lines. GFX you could do by EFIstring in com.apple.Boot.plist. probably better than doing it in dsdt. If you have Chameleon r3 (or 4 now released) it might work with GraphicsEnabler flag in Boot.plist.

Bought a GAINWARD 512MB 9500GT Silent with DVI and HDMI because my XFX 7600GS is not working under 10.6...

Will update tomorrow; hope HDMI is supported! If so; finally a perfectly working 10.6 system thanx to BlackHC, DB1 and others on this great thread.

Ok guys & gals, MasterChief has been weaving his magic again on the P5K Pro dsdt and released v3.3.

I've migrated those changes into P5K VM v3.3 dsdt and tested everythings working for me.

Compile with iaslme and your good to go.

hi there DB1,

i'm working on a friends mac and try to use your dsdt on it. but i cant get the gpu part in right

can you take a look and see what's wrong

thnx

T

Device (PEGP)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
               Device (GFX0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   Name (_SUN, One)
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x16)
                           {
                               "@0,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@0,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@0,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-A"
                               }, 

"@1,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@1,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@1,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-B"
                               }, 

"NVCAP", 
                               Buffer (0x18)
                               {
                                   /* 0000 */    0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0008 */    0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07, 
                                   /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                               }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
                               Buffer (0x04)
                               {
                                   0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20
                               }, 

"device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x0C)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Parent"
                               }, 

"model", 
                               Buffer (0x17)
                               {
                                   "Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT"
                               }, 

"rom-revision", 
                               Buffer (0x21)
                               {
                                   "Nvidia GeForce OpenCL Engine EFI"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)

P5K_VM_thijmus.dsl.zip

hi there DB1,

i'm working on a friends mac and try to use your dsdt on it. but i cant get the gpu part in right

can you take a look and see what's wrong

thnx

T

Device (PEGP)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
               Device (GFX0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   Name (_SUN, One)
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x16)
                           {
                               "@0,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@0,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@0,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-A"
                               }, 

"@1,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@1,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@1,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-B"
                               }, 

"NVCAP", 
                               Buffer (0x18)
                               {
                                   /* 0000 */    0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0008 */    0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07, 
                                   /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                               }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
                               Buffer (0x04)
                               {
                                   0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20
                               }, 

"device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x0C)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Parent"
                               }, 

"model", 
                               Buffer (0x17)
                               {
                                   "Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT"
                               }, 

"rom-revision", 
                               Buffer (0x21)
                               {
                                   "Nvidia GeForce OpenCL Engine EFI"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)

Replace

[color="#FF0000"]DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)[/color]

With

}, Local0)
                       MCDP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               } 
           }

thnx for the help DB1, i allready tried that but then it gives me allot of error's with mcdb

I get only one compilation error with dtgp

T.

It was a bit more than your GFX causing the compile problem - check the two files and see where you went wrong.

thijmus.zip

It was a bit more than your GFX causing the compile problem - check the two files and see where you went wrong.

thijmus.zip

so i see thnx for that, i tried to remove some cpu parts in order to get it for core duo, every time i removed a part and checked it by recompiling

anyway great work

btw does sleep work for you

T

so i see thnx for that, i tried to remove some cpu parts in order to get it for core duo, every time i removed a part and checked it by recompiling

anyway great work

T

hi there DB1, my friend is very happy. all work very nice

So thank's for your help

T

anyway great work

Yes sleep works for me and the regulars on the thread using the dsdt. If your having problems re sleep read back through the thread it's well covered. Did you check the on board USB jumper settings? (that was one of the sleep problems)

No need to remove code for it to work core 2 as long as PSS section and processor section code matches the cpu (what your own get extracting your own dsdt & calculate via p-state calculator).

hi there DB1, my friend is very happy. all work very nice

So thank's for your help

T

Great, thats what it's all about helping each other and learning on the way.

Yes sleep works for me and the regulars on the thread using the dsdt. If your having problems re sleep read back through the thread it's well covered. Did you check the on board USB jumper settings? (that was one of the sleep problems)

No need to remove code for it to work core 2 as long as PSS section and processor section code matches the cpu (what your own get extracting your own dsdt & calculate via p-state calculator).

Great, thats what it's all about helping each other and learning on the way.

I did not spent enough time reading :P , but i will to get sleep working.

Speedstep is working even with another small mistake i found later.

Also i found a CST evaluation error on boot that i have to fix, but first sleep

will report back later with the results

T.

Hi guys (esp. bikinifarm)

I just exported my DSDT.dsl for the first time. I'm using 10.5.7 (retail install) and I have a Q6600 as you may see in my signature.

I was assuming that i could use Bikinifarm's DSDT file and just change the 'OperationRegion' part. However, upon inspecting the difference with text-wrangler, I noticed that my DSDT is actually quite different from Bikinifarm's... meaning, there is no matching line-for-line. Now I know that you guys have optimized the DSDT file by removing a lot of unwanted code from it etc.

The reason of this post is just to confirm if I can use Bikinifarm's DSDT by just changing the 'OperationRegion' part? can someone help share how much of the code needs to be replaced? meaning i'm not sure where the 'OperationRegion' part ENDS...

I'll be happy to share my DSDT, but i do not want to ask too many favors... please help if you can.

Thanks...

PS. I don't think Bikinifarm is using graphic card code in his DSDT and I would like to keep it that way... just need confirmation if my assumptions are correct.

rai_dsdt.dsl.zip

Hi guys (esp. bikinifarm)

I just exported my DSDT.dsl for the first time. I'm using 10.5.7 (retail install) and I have a Q6600 as you may see in my signature.

I was assuming that i could use Bikinifarm's DSDT file and just change the 'OperationRegion' part. However, upon inspecting the difference with text-wrangler, I noticed that my DSDT is actually quite different from Bikinifarm's... meaning, there is no matching line-for-line. Now I know that you guys have optimized the DSDT file by removing a lot of unwanted code from it etc.

The reason of this post is just to confirm if I can use Bikinifarm's DSDT by just changing the 'OperationRegion' part? can someone help share how much of the code needs to be replaced? meaning i'm not sure where the 'OperationRegion' part ENDS...

I'll be happy to share my DSDT, but i do not want to ask too many favors... please help if you can.

Thanks...

PS. I don't think Bikinifarm is using graphic card code in his DSDT and I would like to keep it that way... just need confirmation if my assumptions are correct.

You have the same OperationRegion code as bikinifarm's (Line 145 in his dsdt - and as below from yours), and he has no GFX so you will be able to use his dsdt as is.

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, [color="#FF0000"]0xCFF8E064, 0xFF[/color])
   Field (BIOS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)

Thanks a bunch DB1 and Bikinifarm...

So i got a brand new EVGA 9800GT 512MB... i powered things up using BlackCH's method. Unfortunately either my system reboots or hangs a few minutes into installation. On my 1st try i got a KP, i looked at the install log and some installer pkgs were not verified... a tried another couple of times... no luck.

I think I may have burned the DL DVD too fast (2.4X). I burned it using a MBP... it's 5:00am in the morning I do not have another blank DVD-R-DL :D yes i feel particularly lost right about now.

I have the retail SL dvd restored on a USB disk but can't get it to install from there using BlackCH's iso CD to boot...

I'll give it 1 last shot before i call it quits for the day.

UPDATE: Made the correct changes in BIOS and attempting to install from my UBD drive... it seems like the spare drive on which i'm trying to install is faulty...

UPDATE: GUYS!! everything is working... Sl installed on my fresh new drive and I went through all the steps that BlackCH made so easy to follow. Sound is working, so is LAN. I'm running my 9800GT using efi strings in apple.boot.plist for now. I will later on switch to DSDT as I learn how to add it there. Full QE and CI working right now. I haven't checked sleep, but I will report later. Next I'm going to update to 10.6.2 and see is things stay intact. Thanks BlackCH, Freaky Chokra, Bikinifarm and DB1... I'm using the same chameleon as provided by BlackCH in his iso CD, is there any need to upgrade to RC4?

Thanks a bunch DB1 and Bikinifarm...

So i got a brand new EVGA 9800GT 512MB... i powered things up using BlackCH's method. Unfortunately either my system reboots or hangs a few minutes into installation. On my 1st try i got a KP, i looked at the install log and some installer pkgs were not verified... a tried another couple of times... no luck.

I think I may have burned the DL DVD too fast (2.4X). I burned it using a MBP... it's 5:00am in the morning I do not have another blank DVD-R-DL ;) yes i feel particularly lost right about now.

I have the retail SL dvd restored on a USB disk but can't get it to install from there using BlackCH's iso CD to boot...

I'll give it 1 last shot before i call it quits for the day.

UPDATE: Made the correct changes in BIOS and attempting to install from my UBD drive... it seems like the spare drive on which i'm trying to install is faulty...

UPDATE: GUYS!! everything is working... Sl installed on my fresh new drive and I went through all the steps that BlackCH made so easy to follow. Sound is working, so is LAN. I'm running my 9800GT using efi strings in apple.boot.plist for now. I will later on switch to DSDT as I learn how to add it there. Full QE and CI working right now. I haven't checked sleep, but I will report later. Next I'm going to update to 10.6.2 and see is things stay intact. Thanks BlackCH, Freaky Chokra, Bikinifarm and DB1... I'm using the same chameleon as provided by BlackCH in his iso CD, is there any need to upgrade to RC4?

Great you got there in the end.

If sleep not working check the mobo USB settings (check back in the thread for info). No real advantage with RC4 if everything working for you but if you want to try it you only need to swap the "boot" file. Some have reported loosing graphics with RC4.

As for graphics in dsdt or com.apple.Boot.plist does not really matter which but I now prefer to leave it out of dsdt as I want to keep dsdt code to minimum to aid faster booting.

Have fun with your new install.

Thanks DB1... i couldn't have dont it without the fabulous people on here. Sleep is just not important in my list... either i shut it down or let it run... My biggest concern is stability and performance.

That said, i'm getting a few mouse-jumps regularly... i'm thinking that is because of the way my gfx are enabled. Do you think that is the case? i'd love to get to a point where it's perfect and i'm able to make full use of the 9800GT. i've heard about a version of the EFi studio that includes 9800 in the list, but so far i havent had success finding it.

PS. i haven't upgraded to 10.6.2 yet. Should i just go ahead and download + install? or do i need to take any precautions? Should I have done this upgrade before in installed BlackCH's packaged installs?

Hi Guys... it's been a very frustrating day after the 10.6.2 update. I've had random reboots (not KPs, just freezes where my mouse and keyboard stop working and hard reboots). I'm not sure what is causing that but going back to my old question... should I have updated first and THEN installed the P5KVM packages from BlackCH's CD?

Other than that i'm not entirely satisfied with the gfx solution. I do get the ripples when i add a new app to dashboard. I am also able to play chess. But I get the occasional mouse-jump, and tearing of images as I scroll an image in a browser window. General scrolling in a browser window seems to be OK but not as super smooth as on my MBP. That has me wondering that would be the best way to enable gfx. I've tried all 3 approaches;

1. Strings in com.apple.Boot.plist = reboots

2. Graphic Enabler = Y in com.apple.Boot.plist = no recognition of gfx in system profiler

3. DSDT enabling of gfx card = my mouse and keyboard stop functioning after about 10 minutes of restart.

I'm attaching my files with this post. Maybe i'm doing it wrong as a noob. Can anyone please help me out? Any help will be much appreciated.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

my_DSDTs.zip

Hi Guys... it's been a very frustrating day after the 10.6.2 update. I've had random reboots (not KPs, just freezes where my mouse and keyboard stop working and hard reboots). I'm not sure what is causing that but going back to my old question... should I have updated first and THEN installed the P5KVM packages from BlackCH's CD?

Other than that i'm not entirely satisfied with the gfx solution. I do get the ripples when i add a new app to dashboard. I am also able to play chess. But I get the occasional mouse-jump, and tearing of images as I scroll an image in a browser window. General scrolling in a browser window seems to be OK but not as super smooth as on my MBP. That has me wondering that would be the best way to enable gfx. I've tried all 3 approaches;

2. Graphic Enabler = Y in com.apple.Boot.plist = no recognition of gfx in system profiler

3. DSDT enabling of gfx card = my mouse and keyboard stop functioning after about 10 minutes of restart.

I'm attaching my files with this post. Maybe i'm doing it wrong as a noob. Can anyone please help me out? Any help will be much appreciated.

Hey Hassan R.

Nice to know you finally got yourself a 9800GT...!!!

Well, by tonight, I'll try going through your DSDT.

Till Then, have a look at this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1366962

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184902&pid=1366962&st=20entry1366962

Till then, just relax; wait.

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

If you use Graphics Enabler this is the format:

<dict>
       <key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-pci0</string>
       <key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
       <string>Yes</string>
       [color="#FF0000"]<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
       <string>Yes</string>	[/color]	
</dict>
</plist>

If you use EFI string this format:

<dict>
       <key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string> [color="#FF0000"]// notice removal of pci flag string[/color]
       <key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
       <string>Yes</string>
       [color="#FF0000"]<key>device-properties</key>
       <string>......YOUR STRING HERE.....</string>[/color]
</dict>
</plist>

dsdt looks ok except I cannot confirm the one with graphics as I do not have that card. Your problems are with graphics assuming you got the right kexts installed. To see what kexts loaded do this in terminal: kextstat

I read somewhere (cannot remember where) someone having same problems as you with same gfx card and it turned out he just changed the socket the monitor was plugged into (do they have 2?) seems the OS was looking for the default but finding and complaining about secondary monitor when in fact he only had one.

Thanks a bunch guys... it's comforting to know you are there to help.

FC... i look forward to your comments on my DSDT. My DSDT is basically Bikinifarm's DSDT. He and I both have the same processor and OperationRegion code. So I took his DSDT, then i noticed that DB1 had advised another poster on pg.39 of this thread. That poster also had the 9800GT and DB1 compiled a DSDT and posted for him. I just took the gfx part from that DSDT and replaced the placeholder in mine with it. As it turned out each time i booted with that DSDT my mouse and keyboard froze after 10 minutes.

DB1... thanks for looking... i have also read that thread by the person facing the DVI port issue. The thing is, i'm getting full QE, CI on port1 (closest to the mobo)... i just keep getting mouse-jumps. I appreciate that formats you have posted... I will just study them now. Attached you will find the result when i look for the kexts that have loaded. Unfortunately i'm not expert enough to tell what should be on there and what shouldn't be. I just installed the 'selected by default' packages from BlackCH's CD.

UPDATE: Before giving up and going for a reinstall, I basically loaded up BlackCHs iso CD, and installed his P5KVM pack again. It overwrote my dsdt.aml and bootlist... so i copied those over once again. I'm sure there must have been other files that this action must have over-written. So basically I think maybe you need to update to 10.6.2 BEFORE you install chameleon and all other packages from BleckCH (just a hunch). I did a bit of a stress-test (if you can call it that) by putting a DVD for ripping thru handbrake and when i came back the OS was still on and doing ok. So no crash so far... and i'm running on the Graphic Enabler bootlist method right now.

I'm going to try and play a game of Warcraft just to do another stress-test... but i'm still less than happy with the gfx performance.

Thanks a bunch for looking and helping.

myLoadedKexts.txt