[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

You did not report back on the one I provided specific for you in post 664 - you really need to learn to self help rather than rely on others doing for you. I don't mind helping but I'm not going but don't always have time to provide an end to end service.

You have the section for GFX0, you have the PSS (p-states for stepping) I provided.

So the one I posted in 718 just needs the GFX0 adding and the PSS section swapping. Just be sure you have the right info as per code in post 749 (you will need to extract your own dsdt to verify this)

I'm in a generous mood this evening. Try this: Panos12DSDT.zip

AND It would be a good idea to post details of your setup in signature so we know what your system consists.

thank you very much. you are a god ^_^ .

P5KVM_E6750_3.1_dsdt.dsl modified for my CPU and JMicron removed.

@ Eric: got a e6750 to but the values in your DSDT seem strange to me...

Yours:

Package (0x06) { 2664, 0, 10, 10, 0x81D, 0x81D },

Package (0x06) { 2331, 0, 10, 10, 0x71A, 0x71A },

Package (0x06) { 1998, 0, 10, 10, 0x616, 0x616 }

Mine:

Package (0x06) { 2664, 76635, 10, 10, 0x81D, 0x81D },

Package (0x06) { 2331, 63643, 10, 10, 0x71A, 0x71A },

Package (0x06) { 1998, 51626, 10, 10, 0x616, 0x616 }

Any idea? It has something to do with the V values...

OK, I tried the ASUS USB-BT21 Bluetooth dongle to see if it wakes the machine up, and no luck. Works fine otherwise though. "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" option is always dimmed. I still like the D-Link DBT-120 better, as it allows faster connection.

I do not believe Trust 15542-02 BT is available in the States. So, seems like not a whole lot of option but to use the power button..

OK, I tried the ASUS USB-BT21 Bluetooth dongle to see if it wakes the machine up, and no luck. Works fine otherwise though. "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" option is always dimmed. I still like the D-Link DBT-120 better, as it allows faster connection.

I do not believe Trust 15542-02 BT is available in the States. So, seems like not a whole lot of option but to use the power button..

Hard luck! That's one more eliminated. Thanks.

I think I'll order the Trust

Hello theyoung,

It's my mistake. I found these p-state values on this topic. My values are false. I think yours are good. I will change my dsdt file.

Eric

I'm not sure if mine are correct but 0 is for sure false... I used P-state calculator to get my values but i'm not sure if my parameters where right such as Core Voltage & power disruption. I will look again into it tomorrow. Let me know if you find different values! :rolleyes:

Hello everyone!

I know this is me being lazy (or extra safety conscious). But i'm still on 10.5.7 because it is rock-solid stable for me. I get the occasional KP, but generally very secure. I have followed this thread on and off, but I am guilty of not being able to contribute to the P5K-VM community of late. I also did not upgrade my video card like I said I would (i still want to - if it helps the system power).

The reason for this post is that I wanted to inquire if we have a bullet-proof solid solution for 10.6.2? I notice that most posts are progressive, but not since the days of 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 have I seen a 'Start from scratch' tutorial. I understand and respect the knowledge of the advanced users here, but what about us Noobs? It is my personal opinion that a comprehensive tutorial from scratch should be posted in this valuable thread every time someone manages to install a flawless newer version of the Mac OS.

Like I said, maybe it is because i'm lazy or too busy to read every post, but can someone point me to a thread that works like a tutorial/guide? Like last time, I will post my experience and a step-by-step guide of my install to help the newbies.

Thanks...

Hello everyone!

I know this is me being lazy (or extra safety conscious). But i'm still on 10.5.7 because it is rock-solid stable for me. I get the occasional KP, but generally very secure. I have followed this thread on and off, but I am guilty of not being able to contribute to the P5K-VM community of late. I also did not upgrade my video card like I said I would (i still want to - if it helps the system power).

The reason for this post is that I wanted to inquire if we have a bullet-proof solid solution for 10.6.2? I notice that most posts are progressive, but not since the days of 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 have I seen a 'Start from scratch' tutorial. I understand and respect the knowledge of the advanced users here, but what about us Noobs? It is my personal opinion that a comprehensive tutorial from scratch should be posted in this valuable thread every time someone manages to install a flawless newer version of the Mac OS.

Like I said, maybe it is because i'm lazy or too busy to read every post, but can someone point me to a thread that works like a tutorial/guide? Like last time, I will post my experience and a step-by-step guide of my install to help the newbies.

Thanks...

There are guides all over the place; you have to google. And anyway, in this very thread theres all the information you need; read it.

I dont wanna be unpolite but honestly noobs might learn or perish; because this is a 'hand made' job, and you cannot ask people do it for you.

You can always buy a real mac if you have no time for hacking around dsdts, kexts, etc

BTW, your GFX card is no good for 10.6.2, so until you get a 8xxx or 9xxx dont update

If you have been watching the P5K PRO thread you will realise they have a dsdt update v3.2 and a fix has been provided for the restart after sleep issue we have. Great Work by MasterChief again.

The dsdt is undergoing continual optimisation to improve functionality and to become close as possible to Mac Pro. I've translated those changes into the P5K VM and BlackCH & I have tested and can report fully working, including restart after sleep.

Here's the dsdt: P5K_VM_3.2_dsdt.dsl.zip

OSXRestart.kext is needed in place of OpenHaltRestart or similar kexts to give full restart capabilities.

As the previous dsdt update PSS section needs your own CPU stepping info, JMB0 can be removed if not using ATA devices and you need to make sure:

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0x7FF8E064, 0x2D) // This code needs to match the one from your original dsdt extract.

is correct.

The changes give a slight faster boot, and very fast shutdown, some unneeded code removed and now restart works as it should.

Have Fun.

PLEASE - Do not ask me to modify your dsdt for you, learn to do for yourself. All the info needed is in past posts of this thread and others.

For those unaware TextWrangler application is great for updating from one text file to another, it highlights the differences and gives the option to update section by section. Just open both files from TextWrangler and then search>Compare Two Front Documents. See example below of difference between v3.1 & 3.2 first different section.

post-170015-1258927543_thumb.png

I am currently using this dsdt on an Asus P5KVM with E8400 overclocked to 3,6Mhz and 6GB Ram. The graphic card is a Palit GTS 250 2Gb ..

What changes should i do in order to use your version of dsdt?

Can you please help me?

Thx in advance!

If you have been watching the P5K PRO thread you will realise they have a dsdt update v3.2 and a fix has been provided for the restart after sleep issue we have. Great Work by MasterChief again.

The dsdt is undergoing continual optimisation to improve functionality and to become close as possible to Mac Pro. I've translated those changes into the P5K VM and BlackCH & I have tested and can report fully working, including restart after sleep.

Here's the dsdt: P5K_VM_3.2_dsdt.dsl.zip

OSXRestart.kext is needed in place of OpenHaltRestart or similar kexts to give full restart capabilities.

As the previous dsdt update PSS section needs your own CPU stepping info, JMB0 can be removed if not using ATA devices and you need to make sure:

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0x7FF8E064, 0x2D) // This code needs to match the one from your original dsdt extract.

is correct.

The changes give a slight faster boot, and very fast shutdown, some unneeded code removed and now restart works as it should.

Have Fun.

dsdt.dsl.zip

I am currently using this dsdt on an Asus P5KVM with E8400 overclocked to 3,6Mhz and 6GB Ram. The graphic card is a Palit GTS 250 2Gb ..

What changes should i do in order to use your version of dsdt?

Can you please help me?

Thx in advance!

Get the v3.1 dsdt I posted #775 (Same cpu as yours) so you get the PSS section and change that section in v3.2.

Change

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0x7FF8E064, 0x2D)

(Mine in v3.2) to

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0xFFFFFF00, 0xFF)

(Yours from your dsl)

Change the GFX0 section for this from your dsl - see slight modification at end:

Device (GFX0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x18)
                           {
                               "@0,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@0,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@0,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-A"
                               }, 

"@1,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@1,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@1,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-B"
                               }, 

"NVCAP", 
                               Buffer (0x18)
                               {
                                   /* 0000 */    0x05, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0008 */    0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0B, 
                                   /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                               }, 

"NVPM", 
                               Buffer (0x1C)
                               {
                                   /* 0000 */    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0008 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0018 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                               }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
                               Buffer (0x04)
                               {
                                   0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x80
                               }, 

"device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x0D)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,GeForce"
                               }, 

"model", 
                               Buffer (0x0E)
                               {
                                   "Palit 250 GTS"
                               }, 

"rom-revision", 
                               Buffer (0x0E)
                               {
                                   "Palit 250 GTS"
                               }
			}, Local0)
                       MCDP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               } 
    }

Download and install the kext - I asume you know how to do that. You will need a SMBIOS.plist with iMac9.1 for speed stepping to work (if your lucky) or you may need P5K-VM-SMC. kext (posted elsewhere in the thread) if you have another Model identifier (eg MacPro 3.1 etc)

Also check the USB jumper settings (can effect sleep) as explained in earlier posts.

It would have been quicker for me to do this than explain and post however that way you learn nothing. You really need to read through the past posts and understand whats being done and how to do it rather than expect it to be done for you.

Hello everyone!

Thanks...

Hi Hassan.

Just that you own a ASUS P5K-VM, and are interested in deploying a native install of the Snow Leopard 10A432 -> 10.6.2 updated

I suggest you check out this guide.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184807 :(

or

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184902 :angel:

Albeit it is lengthy.... but it is a step by step walk through of everything on screen; that I have compiled for P5K-VM owners.

But very sincerely and honestly.... It wouldn't have been a perfect install if it weren't for these guys.

Especially BlackCH + DB1 's contribution to the DSDT Scene... this makes your life very easy.

All the success is credited to:

:angel: BlackCH (Since his XxX 10.5.x DVDs) -> that's what I use (and used to get Leopard running successfully)

:angel: DB1

:angel: MasterChief

:angel: Slice

:angel: VooDoo Team

:angel: JaS, ToH, and other teams for bringing the scene from 10.4.x to 10.6.x

That's it. My bit of a contribution - the guide.

Warning.. the Guide is of 50 steps... but begins with a Leopard Install and Ends up with a Working X64 Snow Leopard install

with everything running smooth and fine...

THe last bit :

The latest improvements in DSDT suggested here in by BlackCH & DB1 aren't included in that guide as this is the main thread.

And I do not wish to lead viewers away from here...

Let this be the main thread for DSDT and other intense hacking guides.

I wish my guide to be a basic install step-by-step walk-through only.

Here's to good luck... Happy Installing.

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

First of all Thanks BlackCH for warning me about the GFX card.

Thanks a bunch Freaky... i had not followed the DSDT method at all... because I work on my Hackintosh professionally, so once it is stable I don't have the room to take risks. I thanks you a bunch for pointing me out to this step-by-step. Noobs like me need it. Hopefully I will be able to contribute in other ways to make up for the spoon-feeding!

Before I go any further, I need to upgrade my GFX card... there are 3 options

Nvidia 9800

Nvidia GTX 260

or

ATI 4XXX series

Can any of you guys suggest or let me know your thoughts on what would be the best option for me? My concerns are performance (first and foremost) and then power-consumption. I noticed at iFixit that the new iMac 27" uses about 270W power supply which is mind boggling since on my system I have a 750W power supply.

I will try it and reply to you...

Thx for helping me out....:unsure:

Get the v3.1 dsdt I posted #775 (Same cpu as yours) so you get the PSS section and change that section in v3.2.

Change

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0x7FF8E064, 0x2D)

(Mine in v3.2) to

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0xFFFFFF00, 0xFF)

(Yours from your dsl)

Change the GFX0 section for this from your dsl - see slight modification at end:

Device (GFX0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x18)
                           {
                               "@0,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@0,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@0,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-A"
                               }, 

"@1,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@1,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@1,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-B"
                               }, 

"NVCAP", 
                               Buffer (0x18)
                               {
                                   /* 0000 */    0x05, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0008 */    0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0B, 
                                   /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                               }, 

"NVPM", 
                               Buffer (0x1C)
                               {
                                   /* 0000 */    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0008 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0018 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                               }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
                               Buffer (0x04)
                               {
                                   0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x80
                               }, 

"device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x0D)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,GeForce"
                               }, 

"model", 
                               Buffer (0x0E)
                               {
                                   "Palit 250 GTS"
                               }, 

"rom-revision", 
                               Buffer (0x0E)
                               {
                                   "Palit 250 GTS"
                               }
			}, Local0)
                       MCDP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               } 
    }

Download and install the kext - I asume you know how to do that. You will need a SMBIOS.plist with iMac9.1 for speed stepping to work (if your lucky) or you may need P5K-VM-SMC. kext (posted elsewhere in the thread) if you have another Model identifier (eg MacPro 3.1 etc)

Also check the USB jumper settings (can effect sleep) as explained in earlier posts.

It would have been quicker for me to do this than explain and post however that way you learn nothing. You really need to read through the past posts and understand whats being done and how to do it rather than expect it to be done for you.

Nvidia 9800

Nvidia GTX 260

or

ATI 4XXX series

Can any of you guys suggest or let me know your thoughts on what would be the best option for me? My concerns are performance (first and foremost) and then power-consumption. I noticed at iFixit that the new iMac 27" uses about 270W power supply which is mind boggling since on my system I have a 750W power supply.

I would go for Nvidia 9400, ATI 4670, or 4850 - all used in the new iMac's so will be natively supported by the OS.

Re power supply, Asus recommend minimum of 400w for the P5K VM so you could down size.

@Hassan Rai

I would also choose a natively supported card, so you dont have to patch your Dev ID into NV kexts every time. Although it may be possible to make a sort of NVLegacy plist kext

9600GT is also supported (MBP), GTX 285, GT 120, GT 130 (MacPro, iMac). My cheap 9500GT didnt need any edited kext either.

here you can see every mac configuration ever existed to check what GPUs they ship with:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/index.html

DB1 and BlackCH, thank you so much for helping me out.

Actually I am leaning towards the ATi 4850. I just wanted to check if anyone from among us Asus P5K-VM owners had that running without issues. I have been to the drivers/Hardware section looking for guides to set up the 4850, but I noticed that a lot of people can't get it working on 10.6.2

I also agree that ant hardware that runs in a real Mac should run perfectly in a Hackintosh. I just don't want to shell out money for something that I later realize will not run because I have no use for, and I do not keep windows.

I don't see a lot of success with GTX260, so if I have to abandon the ATi, i guess I will have to opt for GTX285. I will do the necessary research (Netkas.org etc.) once I have the card. At this moment though, I just want to purchase the safe option and then worry about spending time on the research later as long as I know it will work.

EDIT: The GTX 285 is out because it requires too much power.

Grab DB's 3,1 dsdt/kexts/files pack (post #718). That dsdt is heavily modified/optimized; a lot of unused code has been deleted, new devices/methods added. You NEED to modify the PSS data according to your CPU or you can fry it. You can look how to do it HERE

Once you modify the dsl file you need to compile it with iasl. You'll get a aml file to put into your /Extra folder (need to be named 'dsdt.aml')

Use the attached set of kext (use only Minimum kexts) and put them in your /Extra/Extension folder. You must fill-in your boot HD's UUID number (get it with DiskUtility) onto PlatformUUID.kext plist:

Then use Mkext Tool to generate a /Extra/Extensions.mkext file.

Set the machine model to iMac9,1 in smbios.plist (this is the best way to get speedstep enable for now). Remember to set all the jumpers as said before in this thread; and just to be sure you dont miss anything read on from page #34

You need to have a full vanilla installation (or at least no modified files in /System/Library/Extensions/). Also is good if you have Chameleon 2.0 RC3 + PCEFI 10.5 installed.

Hmm. I have competed everything that was suggested in this previous post and still no luck. I have 3.2 dsdt patched with my numbers for E2160 (dunno if they are 100% correct), OperationRegion( BIOS,...) line borrowed from linux dsdt, smbios.plist with iMac9,1 as SMproductname, Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658, minimal kexts, jumpers set to +5VSB, and only USB keyboard and mouse connected. Still when I press the power button power supply don't completely shut off. Am I missing something?

my.dsl.zip

DB1, Looks like I get the same compile error I reported last time with 3.1 when I remove the JMB0 section. Could there be a missing bracket or parenthesis? Thx...

you miss a closing bracket in line 1489 (just above 'Device (P0P9)')

Still when I press the power button power supply don't completely shut off. Am I missing something?

Do you mean 'sleep from power button' ?

What about everything else (sleep, wake from keyboard, restart, shutdown)?

Do you have lastest OSXRestart.kext?

yes, i have it too. it started to restart/shutdown properly with it. but no sleep.

Check post #733 for BIOS settings. Double check everything because it should be working.

I think the problem might be here:

//	OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0x7FF8E064, 0x2D) // This code needs to match the one from your original dsdt extract.
OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0xCFF8E064, 0xFF)

Clean it up (delete upper line); try using '0x7FF8E064, 0x2D' value to see if it make a change

Also you left out this part of the code:

Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000810, 0x06)
	{
		Alias (\_PR.CPU1._PSS, _PSS)
		Alias (\_PR.CPU1._PSD, _PSD)
		Alias (\_PR.CPU1._CST, _CST)
	}

Processor (CPU4, 0x04, 0x00000810, 0x06)
	{
		Alias (\_PR.CPU1._PSS, _PSS)
		Alias (\_PR.CPU1._PSD, _PSD)
		Alias (\_PR.CPU1._CST, _CST)
	}

and

Notify (\_PR.CPU3, 0x80)
	Sleep (0x64)
	Notify (\_PR.CPU3, 0x81)

Notify (\_PR.CPU4, 0x80)
	Sleep (0x64)
	Notify (\_PR.CPU4, 0x81)

also

Method (_PSD, 0, NotSerialized)
		{
			Return (Package (0x05)
			{
				0x05,
				0x00,
				0x00,
				0xFC,
				0x02 // This needs to be 0x04 if you have quad core CPU
			})
		}

those are the only differences I can see compared with mine

First of all Thanks BlackCH for warning me about the GFX card.

Thanks a bunch Freaky... i had not followed the DSDT method at all... because I work on my Hackintosh professionally, so once it is stable I don't have the room to take risks. I thanks you a bunch for pointing me out to this step-by-step. Noobs like me need it. Hopefully I will be able to contribute in other ways to make up for the spoon-feeding! <- that's ok...man!

Nvidia 9800

Nvidia GTX 260

or

ATI 4XXX series

Dear Hassan R.

It's good to see you all enthusiastic about the Hackintosh Scene and wanting to contribute... all in due time.. my friend.

Secondly... yeah the guide is bit detailed and aimed at all kind of users / beginners / or those involved in this scene (alike) since a long time.

Like Myself...I started out with the Holy Grail -> Deadmoo's image and have travelled thus far.

Moreover, I could make up a guide coz my profession pertains to writing reviews (guides) of hardware and software about most of the stuff out there. Additonally, Even NON-IT.... :P

OH Yeah..!!!!!... and it involves ... gaming and game reviews too....!!!

Currently.... COD6 : Modern Warfare 2 ... is being completed.... At the stage I am currently stuck in... I rate it 11 out of 10... :star_smile: :star_smile: :thumbsup_anim: (wink wink)

Secondly,

Even I switched to Hackintosh (10.6.2) coz I simply loved the OS (or any NON- Microsooft product) for that matter.... and nothing beats the GUI + speed (the list is endless.. so I'll stop here) of Mac OS X....!!! I guess, everyone agrees...

I too use it professionally.... except when I have to write stuff in DOC format.... and have to use M$ W0RD :tomato: in MAC OS X...

Wish everyone in the world used OS X ... meaning -> if Apple Inc... legally sold it off the shelves for generic PCs :star_smile::thumbsup_anim:

[there is a thread on this debate .... in this forum.... and it is simply amazing... check that out too. ;) ]

Lastly,

DB1 and BlackCH, thank you so much for helping me out.

Actually I am leaning towards the ATi 4850. I just wanted to check if anyone from among us Asus P5K-VM owners had that running without issues. I have been to the drivers/Hardware section looking for guides to set up the 4850, but I noticed that a lot of people can't get it working on 10.6.2

I also agree that ant hardware that runs in a real Mac should run perfectly in a Hackintosh. I just don't want to shell out money for something that I later realize will not run because I have no use for, and I do not keep windows.

I don't see a lot of success with GTX260, so if I have to abandon the ATi, i guess I will have to opt for GTX285. I will do the necessary research (Netkas.org etc.) once I have the card. At this moment though, I just want to purchase the safe option and then worry about spending time on the research later as long as I know it will work.

EDIT: The GTX 285 is out because it requires too much power. = see below

For some strange reason... My 2-years old-faithful XFX GeForce 9600GT 512MB DDR3 blew out 2 months back..

I had to take great pains.. (NON-DSDT method) to get it to work.. too in Leopard... but.. not in Snow Leopard, Only inserted the Vendor ID and Devive ID, etc and Voila! For Snow Leopard initially it was NATIT then.. KExt editing.. (I got it running that way second time without NATIT, then third time DSDT editing)

History:

Currently a close pal... who owns the same piece (XFX 9600GT...) also is experiencing troubles with it. I too got him on the Hackintosh scene. Add me+1+2 more guys to that list.

He was wondering between nVidia or ATI.. coz his card to has begun giving him problems... and HE wishes to upgrade to a newer one

So nVidia or ATI?

But 9800 = though it was shipped by Apple.... initially... I guess they switched to other powerful GPU variants.

ATI is no wonder powerful.. but just reason out, what you would be using the GPU for? .. Photoshop, Video editing/compositing or Animation?

in Mac OS X ... or even M$ WinBlows <- that all the time!

Then choose the right one.

And About the PSU... My Rig runs of a Cooler Master 600 Watts.. and as you can see... it is highly overclocked... CPU+GPU+RAM+PCIe bus...

If you are heavily into Windows Gaming primarily, then.. if you can afford... go for higher variant of an ATI like 4890 or 4870...

nevertheless... for P5K-VM you WILL definitely have to code or rebuild your DSDT.aml... which is recommended....

I don't care about sleep and power-savings... coz then, I shutdown my PC completely.

With nVidia... there is lot lesser issue when building the DSDT or editing the KEXTs.. so you see... the point....[ i hope so ;) ]

But ... either ways... nVidia I feel is a good choice... like I got a replacement with a 9800GT with unlocked Core multiplier and GPU core + RAM clockspeed + shader clock speed... its performance is definitely worth the difference of $18.5 ;) and the cab fare ;)

As a hardware reviewer... I would advise or recommend that unless your use is going to be extremely Graphics demanding and Time Sensitive...

Please refrain from investing heavily in the latest cutting edge IT products.. .especially... GPU items...

As is you have a Core 2 Quad. Coz, GPU items get outdated fast... so if you buy the second latest or third latest... it gives you flexibility and options to upgrade in the next 9-12-15 months or so....

You can even find such recommendations in any other hardware-based forums about GPU products... I too have always recommended the same options.

About nVidia GTX 285.. it is way too powerful and costs tons of :2cents: moolah :2cents: ... if you can afford that given that you can afford in dollars... go ahead and wait till a work around would arrive.. in Snow Leopard by Geniuses like netkas or Diabolik, etc...

Coz, I don't think that Apple Inc. would just run to ATI and ruin it's current production stock of existing Mac Books & MacPros with current ATI 48XX CPUs.. think about their investment... it is a Company to make profits.. not UNICEF or UNESCO :hysterical:

But I do 50% agree + 50% disagree with DB1 at his point on the latest iMac hardware list.. apologies for that DB1... but i got intel on it.. ;)see above

[May be Voodoo team would jump into that arena too and take down all Apple native drivers (KEXTs) and give them a run for their money.. tee hee :hysterical: ]

Well... back to work... more on this later....

or PM me... probably we could share some nitty-gritty about the $h1t hardware available in our home land ;) If i think from where you are.. ;)

Till next time... Happy Installing!

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

DB1/BlackCH;

- I took dsdt 3.2, adapted to Q6600, fixed operation region, removed JMB0, (as in my post 794, fixed the bracket per BlackCH recommendation post 796)

- Installed OSXRestart, removed Ev0Reboot

- Updated the FakeSMC to version 2.5 (from netkas.org)

Reboot:

- No more Firewire 800 card

- Speedstep is only working on the first two CPUs out of four. The rest are stuck at the lowest speed.

For the second problem, I think I need to edit the equivalent of:

0x02 // This needs to be 0x04 if you have quad core CPU

switch, but where is it? Thanks to both of you, really appreciated.