[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Here it is, attached at the bottom. This is the AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.3 modified per BlackCH's instructions above. I am not sure what you are talking about the steps you mention.

Was posted way earlier.

Dear bikinifarm.

I downloaded the attached Hex Edited (modified) AppleHDA.kext.

But it throws up errors when trying to copy it to /S/L/E path. about incorrect version and ask manufacturer for correct copy.

Moreover, the following error is returned when trying to load it from Terminal using Kextload:

Freaky-Chokras-Mac-Pro:Extensions root# kextload AppleHDA.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

Kindly can you solve the problem or hint at what to do next, please? :)

As you have said that it works for you, but why the permissions error? ;)

I've tried copying/installing it using my "root" account on the 10.5.6 Leopard Installation, but still the same error. :D

Awaiting your reply.

FreakyChokra

I'm back after a lot of experimentation.

Dear bikinifarm.... you mentioned you had "swapped" the binary as per BlackCH's suggestion.

I failed to find the post in which he did. But that is irrelevant here.

I tried doing that replacement too! And, also found the post. My Bad! :)

I think the attached kext didn't work (install) probably due to permission while packing it or may be it is just corrupted while uploading. [which also might be the case with the file I've edited and uploaded, which I'm attaching right now :)]

So, I'd used 0xED which is packaged in BlackCH's XxX 10.5.6 Universal ISO.

After modifying the original AppleHDA.kext 1.8.4fc3 (Orig Apple), I got my Audio back!

But, Alas! NO center channel output! Maybe you guys can pick it up from here.

I've uploaded a working copy of said file with, what i presume, is the Device and Vendor ID.

Awaiting more results and feedback. I'm Expecting hiccups. Hoping there will be none with the attached file. :P

My File: AppleHDA.kext_edited_FreakyChokra.zip

Regards,

FreakyChokra

I'm back after a lot of experimentation.

Dear bikinifarm.... you mentioned you had "swapped" the binary as per BlackCH's suggestion.

I failed to find the post in which he did. But that is irrelevant here.

Post #984. It sounds like you may have taken a number of liberties, which may be the source of your problem. I do not believe there are any permission issues. Refer to earlier messages to messages from BlackCH and DB1 to bring your set-up inline with ours, then everything works with no experimentation needed.

I adapted (from the GMA950 patcher) a short shell script that patches the AppleHDA.kext automatically and makes it ready for use in combination with the LegacyHDA.kexts we were already using.

Theres no magic in this, it just replaces the dev ID in the AppleHDA binary file (also creates a backup from the original kext). It has to be runned from the terminal as root

ALC883.sh.zip

Post #984. It sounds like you may have taken a number of liberties, which may be the source of your problem. I do not believe there are any permission issues. Refer to earlier messages to messages from BlackCH and DB1 to bring your set-up inline with ours, then everything works with no experimentation needed.

Hey bikinifarm!

Nice to hear from you.

Ok,

Firstly, nothing offensive or that me was procrastinating or anything.

And liberties.... hmm hmm. Apple it's sound woes!

Secondly, My Bad that I failed to register that post #984. Really.... My apologies.

Lastly, your attached file didn't work. I've posted the error message. I am not saying it doesn't work.

Just that it didn't work on my system. I'd to edit it myself. And, I'm no programmer at all! ;)

And, I've been following the guide till date, except [EXCEPT] that modifying the DSDT for ALC 883,

with reference to MasterChief guide to nodes and pins and verbs coding into it.

That part simply (and completely) baffles me. :(

I humbly apologize for what I said, but didn't mean anything against your work or you.

Because, You're the ones who have initiated the P5K-VM project and brought it thus far.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra

And, I've been following the guide till date, except [EXCEPT] that modifying the DSDT for ALC 883,

with reference to MasterChief guide to nodes and pins and verbs coding into it.

You do not need to modify the DSDT for ALC883. DB1's DSDT only requires modification for the processor type, well documented before. I am using version 3.3, BlackCH is using version 3.2, and I presume DB1 is using version 3.4 or later. This may be your problem.

I humbly apologize for what I said, but didn't mean anything against your work or you.

No apology needed. We are a community here to make it work for all us.

You do not need to modify the DSDT for ALC883. DB1's DSDT only requires modification for the processor type, well documented before. I am using version 3.3, BlackCH is using version 3.2, and I presume DB1 is using version 3.4 or later. This may be your problem.

Thanks bikinifarm. ;)

Hmm... Well, it is like this. I too use the DSDT V3.2 as I'm not into speed stepping and sleep modes.

And, till 3.4 I've kept following it. Even a few posts for some bloke who wanted his SERIAL port working.

Hmm... I still wonder what use it could be to someone using a Mac. Except if it was for using certain ROM programming devices or machines, etc. :(

By the way, You said "This may be your problem."

Well, are you referring to my Quadrophonic audio output only (instead of 5.1 output that has center out working) or something else...

Coz I've posted other problems too. :unsure::rolleyes:

Like both the Geekbench 32bit + 64bit, and the Yahoo Messenger - crashing and quitting automatically. :unsure:

No apology needed. We are a community here to make it work for all us.

Thanks a lot for that. Really mean it. Appreciate it like a lot. :D

hey guys,

first of all big thanks for the nice tutorials and the fast help!

Today I made a fresh snow leo installation with BlackCH guide, after some trouble with the old installation. Everything works great and seems to be much faster than before. At first I had some problems with enabling speedstep but now it seems to be ok.

Now my question: Is there a way to check that speedstep works fine? I didn't found a cpu frequency monitor app for mac to check it.

Now my question: Is there a way to check that speedstep works fine? I didn't found a cpu frequency monitor app for mac to check it.

You can try with voodoomonitor app + kext (isn't included on the p5kvm install pack?)

thanks but I already found cpu-x.

for me speedstep doesn't work with dsdt patching. at the moment I use voodoopstate.kext and pstatechanger app. it isnt the best solution but for the moment is it ok.

cpu-x doesnt show cpu throttling. Theres no reason native speedstep wouldnt work if you have the right data on the dsdt.aml file

Try with voodoomonitor. Is not necessary to install it; just load the kext in the terminal (unload voodoopstate.kext first) and launch the app.

VoodooMonitor.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have 10.5.8 installed using iDeneb. I've been trying for a while to get SnowLeopard installed. I tried (using a separate drive so I can test) the PK5-VM disk made by BlackCH. It worked like a charm!! ;) I then upgraded to 10.6.3 with no glitches.

My only "issue" is the "About this Mac" dialog says Processor unknown 2.83Ghz. It shows fine (Core 2 Quad Q9550@2.83) on my 10.5.8 install. Also 10.6seems to take much longer to boot, but I can't confirm. My 10.5.8 is a WD Raptor (10K RPM), and the 10.6 is a regular 7200 RPM drive, but the boot difference is more than triple. Any comments?

Thank

Hello,

I have 10.5.8 installed using iDeneb. I've been trying for a while to get SnowLeopard installed. I tried (using a separate drive so I can test) the PK5-VM disk made by BlackCH. It worked like a charm!! :( I then upgraded to 10.6.3 with no glitches.

My only "issue" is the "About this Mac" dialog says Processor unknown 2.83Ghz. It shows fine (Core 2 Quad Q9550@2.83) on my 10.5.8 install. Also 10.6seems to take much longer to boot, but I can't confirm. My 10.5.8 is a WD Raptor (10K RPM), and the 10.6 is a regular 7200 RPM drive, but the boot difference is more than triple. Any comments?

Thank

It does not affect the performance but if you wanna fix it add:

<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1281</string>

to your smbios.plist

It will be recognized as a quad xeon cpu.

As for the booting time, I didnt notice difference when switching to 10.6; it was faster if anything. You can boot in verbose mode and see where the booting is taking time to load

This may be a stupid question, or may already have been answered, but I can't seem to find a solution anywhere.

I just installed Snow Leopard last night and it ran a system update today, updating to 10.6.3. After the update, everything was fine except my audio. It isn't detecting any audio devices at all.

I was wondering if there is any solution for this problem, as I would really like some sound!

Thanks in advance. ;)

This may be a stupid question, or may already have been answered, but I can't seem to find a solution anywhere.

I just installed Snow Leopard last night and it ran a system update today, updating to 10.6.3. After the update, everything was fine except my audio. It isn't detecting any audio devices at all.

I was wondering if there is any solution for this problem, as I would really like some sound!

Thanks in advance. -_-

Just run the script on Post #1004

Voilà

Thanks in advance. :P

Here's the pre-patched file for you in this post

Simply backup your original AppleHDA.kext and use KextHelper to install this file into your /System/Library/Extensions/

Don't forget to repair permissions before rebooting.

If you can, please post your results.

Happy Hacking!

Freaky Chokra

Thank You!

One more thing. After the 10.6.3 upgrade the Lizard Application crashes every time I start it. I get the dialog "Lizard quit unexpectedly". Not that I need it anymore, but it could by a sign that something else is broken.

Thanks again,

Erasmo.

It does not affect the performance but if you wanna fix it add:

<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1281</string>

to your smbios.plist

It will be recognized as a quad xeon cpu.

As for the booting time, I didnt notice difference when switching to 10.6; it was faster if anything. You can boot in verbose mode and see where the booting is taking time to load

@Freaky Chokra, I use your patched file you posted earlyer. sound works but everytime I increase volume, there is a loud clicking noise. do you have the same problem or did you modifyd the file again?

Good to know that file worked for you!

However, There isn't any clicking noise / sound when I change my volume levels.

Also, I haven't changed or modified the file again at all.

Hmm... Which version of DSDT are you using?

And, does it have the HDEF routine specified as perfected by the masters — Bikinifarm, DB1, BlackCH, Master Chief?

well, are you also using P5K-VM.kext as supplied by BlackCH? In /Snow/Extra/Extensions/

I'm using a bit modified version of the DSDT version 3.2 minus the speed stepping, and serial ports, etc.

Basic, very Basic DSDT with GFX inclusion and Firewire methods included.

You can post your DSDT here, mention which version you are using and have edited.

Probably, you can post you DSDT dump from Windows... And, we can take it further.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra

I've been creeping for a long time and finally took the plunge of installing a few days ago. Just a quick note to say thanks to all the guys who deal with noobs like myself and have the patience to reply with helpful solutions. A big big thanks to BlackCH for his P5K-VM bootdisc as well as his lovely audio script that fixed the 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 update.

In attempting to follow BlackCH's guide for DSDT Patching, I've had to refer to post #713 regarding getting ACPI info using a Ubuntu Live USB stick.

When using the following command, after "sudo su":

mkdir ACPI && dmesg | perl -we '$n=0; while (<>) { if (($t,$a,$l,$o) = (/^[^a-zA-Z]*ACPI: ([-._A-Z0-9]{4,4}) +([0-9A-F]{8,8}), ([0-9A-F]{4,4})+(?:\s*\(([^)]+))?/)) { $o && $o=~s/[^-._a-zA-Z0-9]+/-/g; ($cmd="acpidump -a $a -l $l > \"ACPI/${t}".($o?"_$o":"").".aml\""); print "Running command: \"$cmd\"\n"; system($cmd); ++$n; } } die("No match") unless $n;' && zip -r ACPI-Tables.zip ACPI

I get the following error:

"No match at -e line 1, <> 757."

Not sure where my cut and paste is causing the script to break. Thoughts on moving me along the DSDT learning curve?

Enabling Native Speedstep:

When I use the following command in Terminal I get the accompanying error:

sudo kextload /Extra/DSDT/VoodooPState.kext

/Extra/DSDT/VoodooPState.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

As well as a Error Box in the Gui that reads:

System extension cannot be used

The system extension "/Extra/DSDT/VoodooPstate.kext" was installed improperly and

cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

In attempting to follow BlackCH's guide for DSDT Patching, I've had to refer to post #713 regarding getting ACPI info using a Ubuntu Live USB stick.

You can get the ACPI dumps with Everest under windows; its easier

System extension cannot be used

The system extension "/Extra/DSDT/VoodooPstate.kext" was installed improperly and

cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

I am having the same problem. dropping the voodoopstate.kext into S/L/E gives me the same error. running 10.6.3 in 32 bit mode, not sure whats happening.

You can get the ACPI dumps with Everest under windows; its easier

Thought I'd going through the steeper learning curve, but I guess you're right. Gotta learn to crawl before I walk.

Installed Windows on a spare drive w/ Everest.

Looking at the DSDT portion of the Everest generated report, can't seem to acquire the necessary 8 digit hex number. Am I looking in the wrong area?

Attached is the Report text

Report.txt

Thought I'd going through the steeper learning curve, but I guess you're right. Gotta learn to crawl before I walk.

Installed Windows on a spare drive w/ Everest.

Looking at the DSDT portion of the Everest generated report, can't seem to acquire the necessary 8 digit hex number. Am I looking in the wrong area?

Attached is the Report text

Create your signature so we know what hardware variants you have and which bios your running with etc. (What cpu are you trying to find the speed stepping for? what video card? what bios?), it's possible a subscriber has a dsdt already configured to meet your needs without having to become an "expert", that learning curve is achieved with time, experience, research and experimentation after you understand basics. Do you want to get up and running then break into development/experimentation or just get your box running?