[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm a few days into my adventure of a vanilla build and have done a lot of reading from various threads, forums, etc. but it's difficult to find relevant non-dated information (forum search features seems broken as well). I've managed a great deal thanks to the great work of the community, and so I've got 3 simple questions...

1. What kexts are you using? a long with bootloader revision?

2. Which of these kexts did you incorporate into the /system/library/extensions path?

3. Those who are using some form of rev 3.4 DSDT posted by DB1, I noticed that the device-id's for USB, HD, etc. are not apparent anymore. Are these being defined else where? EFI string, plist, ...?

I can read signatures so feel free to answer only what is not already apparent. Thanks :censored2:

My boot setup:

Bootloader: AsereBLN v1.9 (w/ GraphicsEnabled)

Kexts: AppleYukon2, FakeSMC, AppleHDAFix

DSDT: rev 3.3

Hello, I'm a few days into my adventure of a vanilla build and have done a lot of reading from various threads, forums, etc. but it's difficult to find relevant non-dated information (forum search features seems broken as well). I've managed a great deal thanks to the great work of the community, and so I've got 3 simple questions...

1. What kexts are you using? a long with bootloader revision?

2. Which of these kexts did you incorporate into the /system/library/extensions path?

3. Those who are using some form of rev 3.4 DSDT posted by DB1, I noticed that the device-id's for USB, HD, etc. are not apparent anymore. Are these being defined else where? EFI string, plist, ...?

I can read signatures so feel free to answer only what is not already apparent. Thanks :(

My boot setup:

Bootloader: AsereBLN v1.9 (w/ GraphicsEnabled)

Kexts: AppleYukon2, FakeSMC, AppleHDAFix

DSDT: rev 3.3

Welcome aboard.

All you need is in the excellent post & package by BlackCH HERE

In V3.4 I moved the device id's into com.Apple.boot.plist to reduce the dsdt as far as I dare without loosing functionality. Some with Firewire have experienced issues with V3.4 so should stick with 3.3 If you want the device id plist additions there HERE

I have nothing added to S/L/E everything on EFI partition (hidden)

For booting I've been following Rekursor's developments and all to date work fine. I have also played with Master Chiefs highly modified boot method but as yet cannot get it to work for me, so keeping an eye on that.

Feel free to ask questions there's always one of the guys looking in here regular. Good Luck

Welcome aboard.

Thank you :(

All you need is in the excellent post & package by BlackCH HERE

In V3.4 I moved the device id's into com.Apple.boot.plist to reduce the dsdt as far as I dare without loosing functionality. Some with Firewire have experienced issues with V3.4 so should stick with 3.3 If you want the device id plist additions there HERE

Must of been information overload because I don't know how I missed that.

I don't currently own any firewire driven devices and have disabled the option in the bios, so I don't mind not having it working.

For booting I've been following Rekursor's developments and all to date work fine. I have also played with Master Chiefs highly modified boot method but as yet cannot get it to work for me, so keeping an eye on that.

Feel free to ask questions there's always one of the guys looking in here regular. Good Luck

I will look into those alternatives and thanks so much, it's much appreciated.

Thank you :P

Must of been information overload because I don't know how I missed that.

I don't currently own any firewire driven devices and have disabled the option in the bios, so I don't mind not having it working.

I will look into those alternatives and thanks so much, it's much appreciated.

Welcome to Insanelymac

Hi !

I would like to use my com port of the motherboard.

However using the dsdt 3.3 the serial port cant be recognised in system Preferences>>>Network..

Any ideas....?

My other setup with a Gigabyte motherboard i can use perfectly the com port!

I have an old dsdt file of my Leopard installation which enables my serial port....(UAR device)

How i can copy the device-method on the new v3.3 dsdt in order to enable my serial port ?

Can anyone help me?

Thx in advance!

Looking at the old dsdt there are quite a few method sections that would need to be put back in but you might just get away with identifying the device in v3.3

Try this one where I have added the device only: (I don't have any serial device to check if it works)

v3.3_with_serial.aml.zip

Looking at the old dsdt there are quite a few method sections that would need to be put back in but you might just get away with identifying the device in v3.3

Try this one where I have added the device only: (I don't have any serial device to check if it works)

v3.3_with_serial.aml.zip

thx but it doesnt work....:thumbsup_anim:

The old dsdt has a long entry for uar1...

Using the old dsdt file the kext Apple16x50serial is being loaded and the COM port pops in the network tab in the System configuration panel...

I tried to copy the whole thing UAR from the old dsdt to the new one but then it cant be compiled! ( it complains for undeclared methods)

thx but it doesnt work....;)

The old dsdt has a long entry for uar1...

Using the old dsdt file the kext Apple16x50serial is being loaded and the COM port pops in the network tab in the System configuration panel...

I tried to copy the whole thing UAR from the old dsdt to the new one but then it cant be compiled! ( it complains for undeclared methods)

I tried that previous to the one I posted, and as you add each relevant missing method it calls on others. If your determined to get serial working then perhaps better to modify the old dsdt in stages to match the advantages of v3.3 but retain UAR or just keep adding the missing methods in v3.3 until it compiles. Either way it wont be easy.

If I get some time I'll see what I can do.

Hi, i am new to hackintosh community but thanks to blackCH i have installed snow leopard without any problems and enabled Nvidia GT8800 through EFI studio. Everything seems to work properly but i have not able to put it in sleep properly. I have used DB1 dsdt 3.4 and make specific changes to it related to my Q9300 processor and compiled using iaslme and saved it in /Extra folder. I am quoting the changes i made in dsdt.dsl file.

Name (PSS, Package (0x04) 
	{
	   	Package (0x06) { 2498, 88000, 10, 10, 0x4720, 0x4720 },
		Package (0x06) { 2331, 59643, 10, 10, 0x071E, 0x071E },
		Package (0x06) { 2165, 51124, 10, 10, 0x461C, 0x461C },
		Package (0x06) { 1998, 41880, 10, 10, 0x061A, 0x061A }
	}

I have extracted dsdt from my linux and got this info and used in DB1 dsdt file

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0xBFF8E064, 0xFF)

After all this sleep doesn't seem to work, i have not flashed BIOS with rom provided by BlackCH, is it the problem?

Hi, i am new to hackintosh community but thanks to blackCH i have installed snow leopard without any problems and enabled Nvidia GT8800 through EFI studio. Everything seems to work properly but i have not able to put it in sleep properly. I have used DB1 dsdt 3.4 and make specific changes to it related to my Q9300 processor and compiled using iaslme and saved it in /Extra folder. I am quoting the changes i made in dsdt.dsl file.

Name (PSS, Package (0x04) 
	{
	   	Package (0x06) { 2498, 88000, 10, 10, 0x4720, 0x4720 },
		Package (0x06) { 2331, 59643, 10, 10, 0x071E, 0x071E },
		Package (0x06) { 2165, 51124, 10, 10, 0x461C, 0x461C },
		Package (0x06) { 1998, 41880, 10, 10, 0x061A, 0x061A }
	}

I have extracted dsdt from my linux and got this info and used in DB1 dsdt file

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0xBFF8E064, 0xFF)

After all this sleep doesn't seem to work, i have not flashed BIOS with rom provided by BlackCH, is it the problem?

Have you set the motherboard jumper settings for USB? If not read HERE. Also check your Bios settings - info back in the thread.

Extract another dsdt in OSX and check there if there is a difference in: OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0xBFF8E064, 0xFF) if there is change that to the one you get from OSX

Good luck

I tried that previous to the one I posted, and as you add each relevant missing method it calls on others. If your determined to get serial working then perhaps better to modify the old dsdt in stages to match the advantages of v3.3 but retain UAR or just keep adding the missing methods in v3.3 until it compiles. Either way it wont be easy.

If I get some time I'll see what I can do.

I am at last stage at this....

I added all the methods it needs but i am stuck at this stage....

If i add the Device (SBRG) that is needed then it complains with only this error " syntax error, unexpected $end ^ "

If i dont add this device then it is complaining that object SBRG cannot be found...

I am at last stage but i cant understand why it shows this error...

I am uploading the one step before version!!!!

dsdt_one_last_step.zip

dsdt_one_last_step.zip

Something is done with power of...:(

The computer does not completely powers off when i shut down...

Should i add something for uar1 in order to fix it DB1 ??

Are you sure you posted the correct dsdt - it's nothing near v3.3 it's the same as your old one in previous post!

OpenHaltRestart.kext would probably give you full shut down.

Hi.

Let me apologise in advance for being a noob. I'm currently running 10.5.8 which I installed with the Boot123 method. I've been thinking of upgrading to snow leopard for some time now but it looked a little complicated. However this thread seems perfect for me.

I've got a p5k-vm, q6600, and a 8800 GT. Seems this system spec will work fine. I've downloaded all the bits i need but I'm a little confused as to what all the text imput sections of this thread are, ie:

Device (PEGP)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)

Device (GFX0)

Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide to understanding the mechanic of this? Is it just terminal imput? It's hard for me to do a search as I'm not even sure what the method is called.

Thanks in advance for any help. And again sorry for being a noob.

Cheers dudes

Hey.

Don't worry about my last post. Read through the read me with the boot CD and it's all a lot clearer now. Just need to get a clean dsdt dump and I'm good to go.

Just wondering though, because this is a retail install will that mean that I'l be able to use software update to up date the os to 10.6.3/4/5 etc? This wasn't possible with me old leopard install but it would be great it it worked with this snow install

Cheers

Just wondering though, because this is a retail install will that mean that I'l be able to use software update to up date the os to 10.6.3/4/5 etc? This wasn't possible with me old leopard install but it would be great it it worked with this snow install

Cheers

Yes software updates will work however occasionally some of the patched kexts need updating to return to full functionality. This forum usually finds out pretty quickly what changed and provides the fixes. Retail install is by far the better method for hackintosh, and this mobo is one of the better hardware matched to run OSX.

BTW welcome aboard & good luck

Hey.

Don't worry about my last post. Read through the read me with the boot CD and it's all a lot clearer now. Just need to get a clean dsdt dump and I'm good to go.

Cheers

We are currently running 10.6.2 100% unmodifyed (just the extra files in the boot CD). In theory you should be able to update if Apple doesnt change something that breaks our systems in the coming updates. So before update, backup, and wait for some feedback from other users to see if the updates are safe or not.

Thx DB1....

Its somehow the same format with my old dsdt.

I will try to add UAR1 to dsdt v3.4 ..

Don't think so - your old did not have speed stepping! Obviously the one I patched did not work so there would be no point in trying to do the same with v3.4. Better to get back to a version that does work then work forward modifying. Have you had UAR1 working on Snow ever? Why so desperate for UAR1?