[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Got SL10A432 working. :)

Have not yet had to take out AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (and did not for 10.5.5,6,7)

Attached are some notes,the needed kexts, boot files, and a link to KextUtility.

Only issue to resolve is sleep. Have tried SleepEnabler but no luck so far.

P5KVMSL10A432_Updated.zip

Sorry - thought I had updated the file & notes last night (early morning), just realized I messed up the edit. Have just installed on another drive so works fine for me.

Update

Initially done on a pata drive and drive icons ok, done today on a sata drive and drive icons orange - fixed by adding IOBlockStorageInjector.kext

@h00ligan - the updated notes should clarify your issues.

Got SL10A432 working. :(

Have not yet had to take out AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (and did not for 10.5.5,6,7)

Attached are some notes,the needed kexts, boot files, and a link to KextUtility.

Update

Initially done on a pata drive and drive icons ok, done today on a sata drive and drive icons orange - fixed by adding IOBlockStorageInjector.kext

Hi, DB1

I have 10.5.8 installed. I have tried your method. After rebooting with parameters -v -f the loader hang.

I suspect that in the documentation missing allusion that it's required to copy edited PlatformUUID from P5KVM10A432 on partition SL, or is it required to edit the PlatformUUID an the SL partition? Can you check it if I'm wrong? I can't understand where and in wich moment kext files from the P5KVM10A432 should be placed.

Got SL10A432 working. :(

P5KVMSL10A432_Updated.zip

Sorry - thought I had updated the file & notes last night (early morning), just realized I messed up the edit. Have just installed on another drive so works fine for me.

Update

@h00ligan - the updated notes should clarify your issues.

Does Audio work ?

Does Audio work ?

yes audio works if your dsdt is patched with HDEF - see. Blackch post Re custom dsdt further back in the thread. I

m not at my pc (on my iPhone currently). Maybe I'll post one tonight.

Great guide DB1!

Congrats!!!!

Can you please upload the IONetworkingFamily.kext because i accidently deleted it??

If i take it from the CD, the network doesnt work at ALL!

Thx in advance!!

will do when I get home - yes it needs to be patched

yes audio works if your dsdt is patched with HDEF - see. Blackch post Re custom dsdt further back in the thread. I

m not at my pc (on my iPhone currently). Maybe I'll post one tonight.

In case someone doesnt want to use HDEF DSDT patch:

HDEFEnabler.kext.zip

And the Jmicron kext for ATA IDE:

JMicronATA.kext.zip

(this one is from 10.5, but it works on 32 bit mode)

@Zikman - Original IONetworkingFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Network fix - LegacyYukon2.kext - just drop into Extra/Extensions & then KextUtility rebuild mkext & caches reboot ethernet fixed.

LegacyYukon2.kext.zip

enjoy.

Update

Tried SleepEnabler.kext again and it's working great. Maybe I tested it on first install with PC EFi v9 or I had the 10.5 version and thats why it did not work! This one works.

SleepEnabler.kext.zip

In case someone doesnt want to use HDEF DSDT patch:

HDEFEnabler.kext.zip

And the Jmicron kext for ATA IDE:

JMicronATA.kext.zip

(this one is from 10.5, but it seems to work)

i have SL installed on an USB-drive, result: firewire & audio not working, no SATA (BIOS: Jmicron ON, AHCI OFF), network : ok (with changing in plist file).

i tried DSDT-patch :

Audio :oK

graphics: bad performance (flickering while dragging windows).

SATA : still no supports

any idea/hints about SATA-problem (i still have XP on an IDE drive, turn JMicron OFF and/or AHCI ON would possibly srew XP up :-) )?

thanx alot

update: just tried HDEEnabler.kext: doesnt work

@dumper - I'm fairly certain AHCI needs to be Enabled in bios to run osx without problems on P5K VM. Firewire & HDEF can be fixed in dsdt. What graphics you use? That should be fixable also in dsdt also.

You could run xp virtual if you prefer osx and need winduz. No experience dual boot, I don't need winduz.

@dumper - I'm fairly certain AHCI needs to be Enabled in bios to run osx without problems on P5K VM. Firewire & HDEF can be fixed in dsdt. What graphics you use? That should be fixable also in dsdt also.

You could run xp virtual if you prefer osx and need winduz. No experience dual boot, I don't need winduz.

i have a nvidia GForce 8400 GS (256MB), firewire should no Prob since i have a PCI-FW card which works.

dont know what i did wrong in dsdt. maybe i'll try xp as virtual-os. (the reason i didnt use it on 10.5.7 is that i get sometimes KP (not offen, mostly when there're many IOs operations, eg running carboncloner, idvd...)

thanx

@Zikman

However i have to put the LegacyYukon to /S/L/E and not to /E/E in order to make it work.

It's probably a dependancy thing, I remember having same issue back with 10.5 where I had to put the patched Yukon into IONetorking kext and then run that from E/E and it worked. I have an ethernet fix in dsdt so maybe that makes it work for me without.

I'm still learning about patching and fixing kexts!

@dumper

i have a nvidia GForce 8400 GS (256MB), firewire should no Prob since i have a PCI-FW card which works.

Is you GFX patched in dsdt? Why another firewire card? My onboard seems to work with dsdt fixed (I have no FW devices but profiler shows it & kexstat shows com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily loaded).

@BlackCH

You up and running?

Only minor problem I have at the moment is restart. Shutdown, sleep and wake ok. Maybe I'll try openhaltrestart kext.

Is you GFX patched in dsdt? Why another firewire card? My onboard seems to work with dsdt fixed (I have no FW devices but profiler shows it & kexstat shows com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily loaded).

@BlackCH

You up and running?

Only minor problem I have at the moment is restart. Shutdown, sleep and wake ok. Maybe I'll try openhaltrestart kext.

Yes, same here. On restart I get CMOS corruption (BIOS settings reset). I will try to fix the RTC in the DSDT table.

"Length" should be 0x02, like in this example:

Device (RTC)
{
 Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
 Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
 {
 IO (Decode16,
 0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
 0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
 0x00,			   // Alignment
 0x02,			  // Length   
  })
}

Anyway I need to reinstall as I cannot get the 10A432 from the online apple's update. I've been waiting for a true retail image

For the rest it seems to work very good, snappy;

BTW, what fix are you using for the onboard firewire? In my experience from 10.5.6 on, the HPET device is in conflict with the firewire device, so I either need to remove the AppleHPET.kext or use a firewire PCI card... I guess with 10.6 is the same

One more thing; for using SATA in IDE mode we need this kext by netkas:

http://netkas.org/?p=125

Happy Snow Leopard release day to all!

Have been grafting all day to perfect a new install method for P5K VM and have succeeded (I think anyway). See the install notes first here:

Revised___Improved_SL_install_Notes.rtf.zip

If you think this better than the previous (trust me it is), then here's what you need.

RevisedP5KVMSLInstall.zip

Have fun and let us know how you get on.

BlackCH

BTW, what fix are you using for the onboard firewire?

I dont know if the firewire is actually working as I don't use it, i just have profiler showing it & kextstat showing the kext loaded so theoretically I guess it should be working, however in practice I know that might not be the case. My dsdt is in this post. I don't use AppleHPET.kext

Added to notes

Get the UUID of the partition your going to install Snow Leopard on and replace the UUID on the PlatformUUID.kext in SLBooter

UPDATE

Confirmation this works using EFI partition. Have just done another install.

Revised___Improved_SL_install_Notes.rtf

BlackCH

I dont know if the firewire is actually working as I don't use it, i just have profiler showing it & kextstat showing the kext loaded so theoretically I guess it should be working, however in practice I know that might not be the case. My dsdt is in this post. I don't use AppleHPET.kext

The firewire device should look like this on the IOREG tree:

post-51637-1251449394_thumb.jpg

but if you are blocking (or removing) the appleHPET.kext then the onbloard firewire is working for sure

EDIT: I checked the DSDT for the RTC fix. The DSDT has already the right values, so IDK....

The firewire device should look like this on the IOREG tree:

Heres what IOREG shows for mine.

post-170015-1251458647_thumb.png

BlackCH - Are the other lines in your Firewire IOREG created by the device/s you have connected to the firewire port?

After many many tests....(with the same dsdt file)

PC_EFI 10.x + FAKESMC.KEXT -----> Firewire is not runinng!

PC_EFI 10.x + DSMOS.KEXT -----> Firewire is up and running!

To check if the firewire is actually up and running you have to see at the profiler:

1)Firewire devices

2)If the network section displays a firewire device then it has to report also its mac adress..If not then it is not actually running

If your restart doesnt work then you have to put the OpenHaltRestart.kext is S/L/E and NOT in E/E !

By the way....

I have a RTL8139 PCI card....

The card is identified by snow Leopard only with PC_EFI 9.0 and not with 10.x but its doesnt perform good ...(I mean it performs like a dial up modem)

Hi guys!

After many hours and countless reboots I am at the desktop of SL

What I found: If I boot with custom boot.plist system hangs on boot. So, now I'm stuck with original boot.plist(the one in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguratin and I can't add strings for my video or my system won't boot. Anyone have similar problem? Any suggestion?

My MoBo is ASUS P5LD2 and video is NVidia 7100 GS 128M Audio ALC882

Other than that... no KP, no sound(but I'm working), system looks very snappy in 64 mode, especially Safari!

I'm using method with hidden EFI partition, I have only 3 kext in E/E

fakeSMC, NullPowerManagement and OpenHaltRestart

Thanks all!

I've been playing today with the EFI hidden partition method and come across a few problems.

1. If you change a kext on EFI/Extra/Extensions on next boot you will not be injecting the kexts into SL!

2. If you repair permissions in disk utility accidentally before running kext utility you get the same problem as 1. (But in any case you already get problem 1. because you changed a kext!)

WHY? well when you run kext utilility it looks for Extra/Extensions in root of install cannot find it and so builds the System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extension.mkext without your EFI/Extra/Extensions/*.kexts.

How do we get around this? Well we could ask cVad to modify the utility to look for EFI/Extra/Extensions and use what it finds to build the caches mkext & EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext (tried to post on his topic but it's locked!)

Ok how to get around in the interim or until someone finds a way? Well you could create a temporary Extra/Extensions in root and put the same kexts you have on your EFI/Extra/Extensions run kext utility, build the cache & mkext and then copy the mkext to EFI/Extra. I tried this and it failed! So what I tried next was to put the same kext arrangement on the SLBooter (USB pen drive boot loader) with the mkext created in the temporary Extra/Extensions. Boot up with pen drive, run kext utility and everything back working ok.

Now that is a real pain (especially if you have not yet got a stable install and need to juggle kexts) so the conclusion until either modification of cVad utility or someone coming up with a command line or script solution: is either use the USB pen all the time to boot (hence keep your vanilla install clean) or use the standard chameleon install on the root partition. The later being the safest as USB drives can fail (had one fail earlier this week!)

If you do use the usb pen drive option you need dsmos rather than fakesmc.

Heres what IOREG shows for mine.

post-170015-1251458647_thumb.png

BlackCH - Are the other lines in your Firewire IOREG created by the device/s you have connected to the firewire port?

No devices connected to the firewire. When my onboard firewire looks like yours (without the extra lines) it doesnt work; this happens when I let the AppleHPET.kext (and CPUPM) to load.

So I use a PCI card to stay as much vanilla as I can (HPET and CPUPM loaded)