[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

thank you for your help. so far ive been able to edit the smbios.plist to report my cpu speed properly. and i edited my dsdt to report as a 9400gt but i dont know how to edit the VRAM. it still says 256 MB instead of 512 MB

"VRAM,totalsize", 
Buffer (0x04) 
{
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20
},

I think....

yeah i was able to find that except what do i change for it to say 512 mb?

If you used the dsdt I provided then you would see:

"VRAM,totalsize",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x10

},

Change to 0x20 as BlackCH suggested.

Thanks for this - works fine.

Now I remembered.

For editing the DMI data (hardware name, manofacturer, etc) you use DMICFG.EXE from DOS. You need to make a bootable MSDOS floppy disk (or USB key), put DMICFG.EXE in it, boot it and execute dmicfg. Then you work on the already loaded BIOS. Thats how I did it. When I did it, the changes didnt show right (scramble characters), but after reboot they were there in the sys profiler.

For the rest (replacing splash screen, delete Intel logo, etc) you can use MMTool.exe (from windows) to extract the modules from the BIOS file and replace them. I guess you can also extract the SMBIOS module from a BIOS file, modify, and recompile....

All files are aviable in the 'BIOS mod' thread I pointed before

Not sure why you think not having com.apple.Boot.plist is causing KP, I did not use one on SLBooter. The only one in my installation is the original in System>Library>Preferences>SystemConfiguration which is not modified.

You will need a Boot.plist if you do not have other fixes for Video i.e. dsdt or kexts or if your using a non vanilla kernel.

It could be something to do with the dsdt not assigning the correct settings for your video card.

How is your video catered for in your Leopard setup? dsdt, natit, nvinstaller, efi string?

I am using DSDT. By removing the kexts that Chamelion 2 RC installed in Extra Extensions, and just using your Extensions (first) folder contents with the edited DSDT, and removing all but 2GB RAM, I was able to install. However, I need to remove at least some of my 8GB of ram, to make this reliable, otherwise I get the restart screen even before SL is copied to my disk partition. SL is now on my HDD, waiting for first reboot (am at work now). Thanks for steering me away from the irrelevant stuff once already!

I am using DSDT. By removing the kexts that Chamelion 2 RC installed in Extra Extensions, and just using your Extensions (first) folder contents with the edited DSDT, and removing all but 2GB RAM, I was able to install. However, I need to remove at least some of my 8GB of ram, to make this reliable, otherwise I get the restart screen even before SL is copied to my disk partition. SL is now on my HDD, waiting for first reboot (am at work now). Thanks for steering me away from the irrelevant stuff once already!

It's maybe something in the dsdt, you would be better extracting your own clean dsdt (in Leopard) then adding the relevant patches in. Use TextWrangler>Search>Compare two front Documents to see the differences between your own .dsl against mine the patches will be obvious and you can just add them in with TextWrangler. (You can extract the dsdt.dsl with iaslMe - google to get)

As a general note to readers - dsdt is best done from your own machine as there are many variables to consider. i.e. bios versions, CPU's, Video cards, ram, wifi cards.

Thank you DB1! I got Snow Leopard working on my USB-Drive and my PK5-VM with your RevisedP5KVMSLInstall. Sound works, nvidia works, ethernet works (i didn't changed any file of your package, even your dsdt works for me).

I used my usb-drive, where i created 2 partitions. slboot for the boot loader and slsystem for the system. then i installed snow leopard from my working leopard on slsystem and the bootloader on slboot. Then choosed to boot form usb-drive and selected slsystem.

Only thing not working is halt, i read that you mentioned a working kext, but every i tried didn't work. Perhaps can anyone upload a working one?

Thanks in advance,

iorek

Thanx HacOSXuser i modified your dsdt a litle bit and got my system now working for 99%

The only problem is shutdown. I tried different openhaltrestart kext-files in both E/E and S/L/E but no complete shutdown,

the cpu-fan and power-supplyfan wont stop.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you DB1! I got Snow Leopard working on my USB-Drive and my PK5-VM with your RevisedP5KVMSLInstall. Sound works, nvidia works, ethernet works (i didn't changed any file of your package, even your dsdt works for me).

I used my usb-drive, where i created 2 partitions. slboot for the boot loader and slsystem for the system. then i installed snow leopard from my working leopard on slsystem and the bootloader on slboot. Then choosed to boot form usb-drive and selected slsystem.

Only thing not working is halt, i read that you mentioned a working kext, but every i tried didn't work. Perhaps can anyone upload a working one?

Thanks in advance,

iorek

Well... You can follow this guide : Freaky Chokra's Guide to minimal hack P5K-Vm Snow Leopard Install

You will find all the necessary attached kexts, and commands to get a once shot Retail Snow Leopard Install.

Mine works in both:

x86_64 mode

and

x32 or i386

mode on the fly without needing to change anything upon boot.

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

thanx DB1 i tried it but still no silence. The fans keeps blowing.

@ttm

I suggest that if everything works fine then, kindly suggest that you check for permissions and then once boot using:

a] -x32 -f -v

or

b] arch=x86_64 -f -v

and running these commands:

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/ /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

where the above RED color marked "snow" is the name of the volume you installed your copy of Snow Leopard 10A432 on.

hope this helps.

I still suggest to check out my guide. It has other commands that fix other issues.

The only thing i added was a Marvel Yukon 88E8056 modified KEXT.

Rest is like a spanking original Mac Desk Pro :)

Humbly, Truly, Yours,

Freaky Chokra

thanks for the upload DB1 and the hints Freaky Chokra. Unfortunatly i cannot check if this kext is working, because i have hardware probs. But as soon my computer is up and running again i will report back.

Regards,

iorek

In my extra folder i have not the file com.apple.boot.plist, but snow leopard works.

is it necessary?

DB1 could you send me this file because i cannot find in your guide.

The com.apple.boot.plist is not needed on the SLBooter partition unless you want to customise it.

This is why your system works perfectly without it.

hey guys,

first of all thanks for the nice tutorial. sound, ethernet and graphic work perfectly. but i have one big problem... when i copy big files or download rapidshare stuff with jdownloader i get a kernel panic sometimes. often in 64bit mode and rarely in 32 bit. i followed the guide step by step and i don't know where is my mistake. i hope you have some anwers for me.

@HacOSXuser

we have the same system config. can you upload your patched dsdt file please? do you have the same problem with kp?

ps: sorry for my bad english! i'm german...

hey guys,

first of all thanks for the nice tutorial. sound, ethernet and graphic work perfectly. but i have one big problem... when i copy big files or download rapidshare stuff with jdownloader i get a kernel panic sometimes. often in 64bit mode and rarely in 32 bit. i followed the guide step by step and i don't know where is my mistake. i hope you have some anwers for me.

@HacOSXuser

we have the same system config. can you upload your patched dsdt file please? do you have the same problem with kp?

ps: sorry for my bad english! i'm german...

hey make sure your UUID kext matches your leopard install drive

and heres the dsdt

dsdt.aml.zip

thanks for the dsdt! but i still have the same problem with the kp...anybody has an idea?

As yet nobody else posting these kind of problems so I wonder if it is jdownloader. Its completely Java from what I read, and I have been getting occasional Flash (Java) failure error messages using 64 bit.

Try something like Transmission for your downloading and see if you get KP's

i've solved the problem :P mysteriously there was the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in Extension. now everything works very smooth, but i have a new small problem... the hdd icons are orange like the one of an external hdd. are the hdds slower now or is it just a optical problem?

Mine works great except for the Video. I don't think QE is enabled. My screensaver goes really slow. I used the above dsdt and it makes my system profiler say its running a 9400gt. I tried looking everywhere on a way to edit the dsdt so it can display my 8800gts but no luck. Any suggestions on how to make my system use the 8800gts correctly?