[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Guys i'm having some trouble. I tried to follow Black CH's walk through. Everything works until i replace the kexts in the Extras and S/L/ folders. When i try to reboot after that i get stuck on the Apple logo screen with the 'cross' icon on top. I'm not sure what that means.

Right now i'm reinstalling and hoping to make sense of using BikiniFarm's files.

The thing is, since i'm a complete noob, i need an easier walkthrough after booting from the Hard Disk and right before i use the custom kexts.

BikiniFarm has strings for his 8800GT, i'm not sure how i can get rid of those. I also do not know how to install the Extensions.mkext.

Any pointers?

UPDATE: Most ridiculous thing ever... now when i try to reinstall it says OSX cannot be installed because the contents of the base system could not be verified (or something). The is using the same DVD that just installed on this hard-drive. wtf?

UPDATE 2: This time after installing Chameleon (v2.0 r431) i didn't change any kexts, didn't make any other changes and opted to reboot. Sure I got the Chameleon screen (as before) but same result. The Apple logo screen with the fan and the cross sign is where i'm stuck.

UPDATE 3: I tried verbose mode and i'm stuck at 'still waiting for root device'. Could this be because of my bios? Changed Sata mode from IDE to AHCI... no difference in the result.

UPDATE 4: Tries Bikinifarm's kexts. Copied his mkext file into the extras folder after installing chameleon. Repaired disk permissions. Did not copy his boot.plist file (because of the video card)... result = same... 'Still waiting for root device'. I'm going to stop trying until i receive some help/advice from you guys.

Will appreciate any help.

Somehow you are missing the ICH9 SATA drivers (that is what the error is about). Make sure you copy the Extensions.mkext file I provided to /Extra/ floder. If you use single kext files you need to create a /Extra/Extensions/ folder and put all .kext files in there. Then you need to set the right permissions to that folder:

sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/*
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/*

Can you point me to a thread that give a walk-through of how to use the GUI version of the EFi Studio?

Sorry for the late reply.

Here is a short thrown-together guide. You should get all the kexts from bikinifarm mkext (extract with mkext tool - google it). Make sure you get the correct EFI partition from step 2.

Just remember, this installs Chameleon 1.012, which means they don't support smbios.plist.

The EFIStudio is a GUI for munky script, written by EFIStudio-Inside here

post-193318-1243355563_thumb.png

Thank you for such a fast reply guys. I'm uploading some work and will try these out as soon as possible. I will post the results in this very post as updates.

Just wanted to show my appreciation.

Popophobia - Thanks for you input, I can see that the drivers for 7800GTX (256MB) are excluded from the EFi Studio you point to. I have that video card so i'm not sure how i can successfully use your method.

UPDATE 1: BlackCH, i just unpacked your mkext file and I don't see a SATA ICH9 kext (yopu said you were using PATA, so i'm not sure if you would include a SATA kext in your mkext extensions. Please correct me if i'm wrong. I have JMICRON disabled in my Bios because i;m not using PATA. Additionally I do not know how to use the commands you mention to set the right permissions. Based on this, where can I find that kext and where should it be placed?

BlackCH, when you say a kext must be installed, does it mean i have to just copy and paste that kext into a folder or do i need to perform further actions? This is what is throwing me off. Your kexts need to go into /S/L/Extensions as well as the /Extras folder, where as bikinifarms kexts just need to go into the Extras folder. Both approaches are different and as of this moment neither is working for me because i think i'm a bit confused and not doing the right thing. :). Trying the install each time to get this stuff right is a bit of a bummer!

Popophobia - Thanks for you input, I can see that the drivers for 7800GTX (256MB) are excluded from the EFi Studio you point to. I have that video card so i'm not sure how i can successfully use your method.

There is no driver for EFI method. You can search around the graphic board for the right EFI string, but you can go ahead and install ignoring the video card. The way you get it to work is the same with any other method.

EDIT: For your card, get the EFI string per this tutorial, then add it to one of the boot.plist in EFIStudio folder, it should work.

Try this boot.plist, it should work for 7800GTX 512mb (put it in the EFI Studio boot plist folder to select on the optional step)

7800GTX_512MB.plist.zip

Popophobia thanks... i'm learning the ropes and whereas what you are saying does not make complete sense to me because i'm a noob, i will watch the video on youtube and figure out what to do with the information you just shared! thanks a bunch!

UPDATE: I have had some success. Somebody please tell me what i did was correct (or vice versa). I reinstalled and after booting into Leopard for the first time i installed Chameleon. after that i copied BlackCHs kexts into the folders he suggested i should copy them to. After copying them into those folder i dragged and dropped them onto kextHelper and installed them. please let me know if this is the correct method to install those kexts (i.e. first copy them to the S/L/Extensions folder and THEN install them. Or can i drag and drop them on to kextHelper from the USB drive and install them that way?). The only issue i faced was that AppleHDA would not install. It kept telling me something was not right. BlackCH says in his notes to remove LegacyHDA kexts etc. am i supposed to select and delete those kexts? I just did and got a KP, and upon reboot i have an Invalid or damaged Bootable partition.

BlackCH, am i supposed to drop the dsdt file into the root? I noticed that OS recognized my video card as 7600GT. The display was fine at 1920 x 1280... but as i mentioned that is not the correct card.

Before the KP, what i did was, i deleted all of BlackCH's kexts from the /Extras/Extensions folder and instead copied all of bikinifarms kexts in that folder (extracted from his mkext)... i know a real mess, but i wanted to test Haltrestart... and guess what Shut down did not work. The screen would go blank but the lights on my CM690 casing + the fans would stay on.

I should add that the Ethernet was easily detected and started working, but the Sound device was never recognized... I have no energy left for it right now but I intend to give it another go tomorrow.

The only problem is, i don't know what i'm doing right and what i'm doing wrong. Can someone be kind enough to suggest a sequence of 'to dos' based on either 1 of bikinifarm's kexts or Black CH's kexts? I'm really confused between the two. I just need to have a stable system with working shutdown and restart. At this moment i'm not even sure if i've got the right BIOS settings, because in between multiple restarts, i managed to reset it a few times.

Bear with me please, it is a slow start... but i hope i'll be able to get there.

UPDATE 1: BlackCH, i just unpacked your mkext file and I don't see a SATA ICH9 kext (yopu said you were using PATA, so i'm not sure if you would include a SATA kext in your mkext extensions. Please correct me if i'm wrong. I have JMICRON disabled in my Bios because i;m not using PATA. Additionally I do not know how to use the commands you mention to set the right permissions. Based on this, where can I find that kext and where should it be placed?

BlackCH, when you say a kext must be installed, does it mean i have to just copy and paste that kext into a folder or do i need to perform further actions? This is what is throwing me off. Your kexts need to go into /S/L/Extensions as well as the /Extras folder, where as bikinifarms kexts just need to go into the Extras folder. Both approaches are different and as of this moment neither is working for me because i think i'm a bit confused and not doing the right thing. ;). Trying the install each time to get this stuff right is a bit of a bummer!

The SATA kexts are INCLUDED on the mkext file: LegacyAppleAHCIPort, LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA, LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage. If you are running 10.5.4 or lesser you will have only two SATA channels working until you upgrade (in that case is better you use bikini's kext pack).

When I say 'install kext' I mean to copy them. Kexthelper only work for kexts that goes /System/Library/Extensions/

Now If you unpack the mkext file and drag&drop the kexts onto the /Extra/Extensions/ (not /Extra/) then you need to issue the commands I posted before from the Terminal.app to fix the kexts permissions otherwise they wont load:

If you install kexts on /System/Library/Extensions/ you can use Kexthelper.app (google it). It fixes the permissions automatically but only works for that folder. If you do it manually, you drag&drop the kexts and then fix permissions from terminal for each kext you copy onto that folder:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NAMEOFTHEKEXT.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NAMEOFTHEKEXT.kext

If you use the bikini's pack, just drag all the kexts to the /Extra/Extensions/ folder and then issue the commands from Terminal.app to fix permissions.

Be aware that some kexts will only load when are packed inside the Extra/Extensions.mkext file, and you can not use both methods: either you have a Extra/Extensions.mkext with packing all kexts or a /Extra/Extensions/ containing all single kexts files.

Last thing: Until you get this kext thing going you should be able to boot your OSX HD with the same booter you are booting the retail DVD; no need to reinstall every time

Thanks BlackCH. I'm trying it 1 last time tonight. Since i'm not an expert it seems easy to just copy all of bikinifarms files to the /Extras/Extensions folder. I'm going to give that a shot and type the 2 commands you mentioned in the terminal app.

I'm just not sure about using bikinifarm's boot.plist and the other compiled one.

UPDATE: BlackCH you spoke the magic words! It all seems to be working! I just installed all of bikinifarms kexts (decompiled from the mkext) into the /Extras/Extensions folder and I have LAN and Sound working. Sound though is only working from the front headphone output! (i don't mind for now). I have not updated to 10.5.7 as yet and I have not tried shut down! I will do it shortly!

My video is not working properly... and i'm looking at popophobia's pointers about how to get a string for my 7800GTX 256MB version (i do not have 512MB). I will keep you posted! Thank you so much.

PS. According to bikinifarm, i need to save the AppleHDA.kext (unmodified) from 10.5.6 in order to restore my audio after i have upgraded to 10.5.7. I'm searching my local drives but that kext is not to be found. Should I save the Apple.HDA.kext from BlackCH's P5KVM files and use it later?

PPS: BlackCH, like you mention, if i need to switch to the mkext version of bikinifarms files, then it will be lying inside /Extras/ . In case i go that way, should i delete all the individual kexts inside /Extras/Extensions/ ??? How will i set the right permissions then? sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/* <<< like this?

PPPS: I can't get the video resolution o full HD. I would like to have full graphics acceleration... what do I need to in order to achieve that QE etc. ? Do I need to download and install graphics drivers or add strings to the apple.boot.plist? that's the next step where I seem to be stuck!

Thanks for all your help... i'm out for the night!

I'm in the same boat. I have gotten repeatedly through the retail disc install, but can't quite figure out exactly what to do with all of the kext files. I appreciate all the help you guys are giving! My only suggestion is an idiot guide step-by-step (of course this is only because I am an idiot, and would benefit).

I'm in the same boat. I have gotten repeatedly through the retail disc install, but can't quite figure out exactly what to do with all of the kext files. I appreciate all the help you guys are giving! My only suggestion is an idiot guide step-by-step (of course this is only because I am an idiot, and would benefit).

Hufriedy... that makes 2 of us! :P

Knowing exactly where you are coming from, I may be in a good position to help. I'm past most thing and only need to get my Video card to work. I am yet to test for Kernel Panics ofcourse.

Let me know if I can be of help... i'm around.

PS. According to bikinifarm, i need to save the AppleHDA.kext (unmodified) from 10.5.6 in order to restore my audio after i have upgraded to 10.5.7. I'm searching my local drives but that kext is not to be found. Should I save the Apple.HDA.kext from BlackCH's P5KVM files and use it later?

(Since i've leeched off enough info, i'll take a stab at actually helping for once)

I'm pretty sure you need the stock one. Since you're still on 10.5.6, you should be able to snag the current one and save it off.. I got in the habit of saving the kext's i was replacing in /Users/Shared so I could undo screwups relatively easily. Anyway, here's what I did:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

mkdir /Users/Shared/save10.5.6

sudo cp -prf AppleHDA.kext /Users/Shared/save10.5.6

Then after you've upgraded, you can put it back:

# the next 2 steps just save off the current one just in case...

mkdir /Users/Shared/save10.5.7

sudo cp -prf AppleHDA.kext /Users/Shared/save10.5.7

# Now copy back the 'good' one

sudo rm -rf AppleHDA.kext

sudo cp -prf /Users/Shared/save10.5.6/AppleHDA.kext .

sudo chown -R 755 AppleHDA.kext

sudo chmod -R root:wheel AppleHDA.kext

I actually did this second step booting from a separate hard drive. I'm not sure you'll be able to immediately boot after the 10.5.7 patch (AppleHDA.kext might crash it before the boot finishes?), though you could probably boot into single-user mode -- give -s as an optional boot argument to the bootloader, then type the fsck & mount commands it gives before the prompt.

Oh, and to get full HD resolution, you'll probably need the EFI strings for your video card in apple.bootlist. Should be pretty easy with something like UInstaller, since your card sounds like a common one. Worked great for my 7900 GS & 8800 GTS

I am just having trouble installing the kext files. I have the partition booting now without the cd (using chameleon RC) I just don't have networking or sound working (plus the firewire and others). I got it to boot by unpacking the boot 132 disk's 'Extensions.mkext' file into my /Extra/Extensions/ folder. I also unpacked bikinifarm's mkext file into this directory as well.

It booted up, but I have no ethernet or sound (I also can no longer see the other sata drives). Can anybody help on these last steps?

PS in terminal I typed

"sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/*

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/*"

exactly. If I unpack the kext files, do I have to do this for every kext (terribly sorry for the noob questions, just getting frustrated by trying and failing over and over).

I am just having trouble installing the kext files. I have the partition booting now without the cd (using chameleon RC) I just don't have networking or sound working (plus the firewire and others). I got it to boot by unpacking the boot 132 disk's 'Extensions.mkext' file into my /Extra/Extensions/ folder. I also unpacked bikinifarm's mkext file into this directory as well.

It booted up, but I have no ethernet or sound (I also can no longer see the other sata drives). Can anybody help on these last steps?

PS in terminal I typed

exactly. If I unpack the kext files, do I have to do this for every kext (terribly sorry for the noob questions, just getting frustrated by trying and failing over and over).

Sounds like you need to have EFI strings in your .boot prefs. Use EFI studio to create Audio, Video, and Ethernet strings. Not really sure why the SATA drives are showing though, the kext for that is indeed in the .mkext I posted.

PS in terminal I typed

I'm replying in the main thread so that if there are others who are stuck like i was, they can use the info as well. Once i'm 100% up and running I will try to write a guide that is as easy as possible for a noob like me.

Right after installation, i booted in to Leopard and just like BlackCH suggested, I installed Chameleon. I customized the installation and selected on the main files + the themes (i deselected the extras). This creates a folder called 'Extra' on the root of your hard drive. I will mention this 'Extra' folder later.

1. I basically took bikinifarms mkext file. (Post #394)

2. Then i got hold of the mkext tool. (google it).

3. I decompiled the Extensions.mkext into individual kexts. It is not very hard to figure out how to do that. There are 19 kexts.

4. I created a new folder inside the 'Extra' folder and named it 'Extensions'

5. I then copied all the 19 individual kext files into this 'Extensions' folder.

After doing this i followed Black CH's advice... i opened the terminal.app and typed in the following 2 commands!

And after this i rebooted. Voila! Everything was/is functional.

I have not updated to 10.5.7 as yet. I was struggling to add strings for my 7800GTX (256 MB). I just managed to get it working using 'EFi Studio'.

Like you, Sata ports 3 and 4 are also not working for me (aparently). I know bikinifarm has mentioned that IOATAFamily.kext needs to be among the kexts for Sata port 3 and 4 to work, however, in my case the kext is there but the boot is taking very long and the SATA ports are still not recognized. I will need to inspect this further.

I have tested 'Shutdown' and it is working flawlessly.

Sleep is still not working for me but I will test it again after updating to 10.5.7.

On your video card: You must try EFI Studio and write the custom strings for your card to the com.apple.Boot.plist file. this file (in my case) is residing in 'Extra' folder. The stupid thing was that despite repairing permissions many times, EFI Studio was unable to write to the file because i was not giving it enough permissions. EFI Studio kept telling me that the changes to the plist file had been made but whenever i checked the file by opening it, it was the same. To resolve this i looked this up in google and followed the steps explained at: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...he_boot_options.

I'm now enjoying full HD resolution (native) on my 7800GTX and video acceleration is working (QE & CI).

Please let me know if I can help further.

Once i'm fully upgraded to 10.5.7 i will try to write a 'noob guide'

Cheers and thanks everyone for your help... i still need to resolve a few things! :thumbsdown_anim:

Deselect AHCI in BIOS (swap to IDE) if you want to have all SATA port enabled.

Popophobia, this is surprising to me. My Bios already had 'Configure SATA as: IDE'... so i decided to change it to AHCI (my JMICRON is disabled) and guess what, all SATA ports work now.

This is kida weird because like you I also expected the opposite!

I have not updated to 10.5.7 as yet.

One thing to watch out for, is that, the .mkext I posted is for 10.5.7. In particular, the IOATAFamily.kext in there is meant for 10.5.7. Using it with earlier versions of the OSX may create unpredictable issues. I had a similar but not identical mix for 10.5.6, and yet another one for 10.5.5. I can post those for people who want to stick with earlier versions of RETAIL install.

On another note, for those of you who would like to get the 10.5.7 version of the IOUSBFamily.kext back in the /System/Extensions folder, instead of the 10.5.5 version per the recommendation documented in my post #361, I have managed to do it per the following recipe:

Download VoodooUSBEHCI.kext from VoodooUSBEHCI.kext

place it in the /Extra/Extensions folder, or add it to the .mkext mix in the /Extra folder per BlackCH's instructions (post #406) Alternatively, you can put it in the /System/Extensions folder using kext helper b7.

Make a copy of the 10.5.7 version of the IOUSBFamily.kext (RETAIL) on your desktop

Follow instructions from superhai to make this modification readme

Add the resulting modified kext back to the System/Extensions folder [NOT /Extra] replacing the 10.5.5 or the untouched 10.5.7 version of the IOUSBFamily (kext helper b7 is the simplest way to do this). Make sure you kept a back-up of the file you replaced (kext helper will automatically do this)

restart and test sleep, and cross your fingers.

This will leave 10.5.6 version of the AppleHDA.kext as the only non-standard item in the 10.5.7 retail install. (well, in truth you have a modified version of IOUSBFamily.kext too)

(Since i've leeched off enough info, i'll take a stab at actually helping for once)

I'm pretty sure you need the stock one. Since you're still on 10.5.6, you should be able to snag the current one and save it off.. I got in the habit of saving the kext's i was replacing in /Users/Shared so I could undo screwups relatively easily. Anyway, here's what I did:

mkdir /Users/Shared/save10.5.6

sudo cp -prf AppleHDA.kext /Users/Shared/save10.5.6

Then after you've upgraded, you can put it back:

# the next 2 steps just save off the current one just in case...

mkdir /Users/Shared/save10.5.7

sudo cp -prf AppleHDA.kext /Users/Shared/save10.5.7

# Now copy back the 'good' one

sudo rm -rf AppleHDA.kext

sudo cp -prf /Users/Shared/save10.5.6/AppleHDA.kext .

sudo chown -R 755 AppleHDA.kext

sudo chmod -R root:wheel AppleHDA.kext

I actually did this second step booting from a separate hard drive. I'm not sure you'll be able to immediately boot after the 10.5.7 patch (AppleHDA.kext might crash it before the boot finishes?), though you could probably boot into single-user mode -- give -s as an optional boot argument to the bootloader, then type the fsck & mount commands it gives before the prompt.

Oh, and to get full HD resolution, you'll probably need the EFI strings for your video card in apple.bootlist. Should be pretty easy with something like UInstaller, since your card sounds like a common one. Worked great for my 7900 GS & 8800 GTS

omv, thanks for the pointers. my problem is, i don't have AppleHDA.kext on my system. I search for it using spotlight and this file doesn't turn up. I look into the relative folders, and it's not there. All the while i'm still at 10.5.6...

So unless i get hold of 'AppleHDA.kext' from 10.5.6 (unmodified) i'm not going to upgrade to 10.5.7

And yes you make a very good point about once i upgrade, i will need this file and may get a KP before i'm able to restore/replace it. I don't know how to do that because I'm not using a spare drive setup like you mention.

bikinifarm - can you or BlackCH help? How did you restore the AppleHDA.kext file after upgrading to 10.5.7? where can I find this file because it is not on my disk right now? Should i use the one from BlackCH's p5kvm package?

thanks...

omv, thanks for the pointers. my problem is, i don't have AppleHDA.kext on my system. I search for it using spotlight and this file doesn't turn up. I look into the relative folders, and it's not there. All the while i'm still at 10.5.6...

Spotlight will not find this file. It sits in /System/Extensions/

So unless i get hold of 'AppleHDA.kext' from 10.5.6 (unmodified) i'm not going to upgrade to 10.5.7

Upgrading will place the 10.5.7 kext in there if you indeed not have it.

bikinifarm - can you or BlackCH help? How did you restore the AppleHDA.kext file after upgrading to 10.5.7? where can I find this file because it is not on my disk right now?

It has to be there if you did a retail install, which is what the mkext I posted is for. Regardless, you can obtain the AppleHDA.kext (10.5.6) by downloading the OSX 10.5.6 upgrade directly from Apple (incremental or Combo [safer]), and then opening it with Pacifist (wait till the shareware splash screen times out), and drilling down to /System/Extensions. It is sitting there in all of its glory.

You can obtain most kexts and other parts of any OSX update using this method, keeping in mind that OSX updates also run scripts.

I just upgraded to 10.5.7 - so far so good. No issues.

Shutdown/restart work fine. Ethernet works fine.

Sound is NOT working yet, but i will replace the AppleHDA.kext later and update.

I'm going to need Sleep to work... so i will track back on this thread tomorrow am and try those things.

UPDATE: Bikinifarm, I can see that you have mentioned you have strings in the Boot.plist for sound + LAN. Is that required? My LAN is working fine without them... should i still add them?

Everything is working great. Except for network. I have tried many different methods. Maybe I have an old version of EFI Studio? Either way, that is the only thing I can't get to work (that I am aware of). I am running 10.5.7.

I can't explain enough how much everybody has helped. I came in here and everything was over my head, and with everybody's patience, I am close to having a very nice machine.

Everything is working great. Except for network. I have tried many different methods. Maybe I have an old version of EFI Studio? Either way, that is the only thing I can't get to work (that I am aware of). I am running 10.5.7.

I can't explain enough how much everybody has helped. I came in here and everything was over my head, and with everybody's patience, I am close to having a very nice machine.

Network should works with bikinifarm mkexts. Make sure you extract the kexts form bikinifarm's mkext and put it in the kext folder of EFI Studio (replace everything in there).

1. I installed the retail disc using boot 132 (retail disc I have is 10.5.6)

2. Update to 10.5.7

3. Reboot using -v -f

4. Unpack Bikinifarm's (post 394) mkext file (install kext's individually into the /Extra/Extensions folder).

5. Put the smbios file into the /Extra folder

6. Run EFi Studio and install my Graphics Card, Network, and Audio (write to boot file)

7. Replace the AppleHDA and IOUSBFamily kext files with those from earlier versions

8. Run terminal and type:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*

sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/*

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/*

9. Run Chameleon RC1 (Customize and remove the Extra option)

After all of this I cannot boot

-v shows that there is a kernel panic (I think that's what it is) because of the AppleHDA and IOUSBFamily files.

EDIT

Evidently had the wrong files. I used the Voodoo kext that bikinifarm uploaded and again, everything is working except for my network. Nothing I try can fix it so far. Oherwise I am on 10.5.7 machine, without the internet ;)

EDIT

My graphics card might also not be working, or is the mouse light blue on everyone else's? I have a transparent menubar though. Anyways, I think it might be an EFI Studio problem, what does anybody think? Which version of EFI Studio is anybody using, and where can I get it (and make sure that it is writing the boot plist).

Update from me.

I replaced the AppleHDA.kext from the one i extracted from 10.5.6 and it didn't help. Sound still didn't work and i got the error msg on verbose boot.

I also then put in the IOUSB kext from 10.5.5 and because of that none of my usb ports are recongnized. Now i can't do anything after booting in, because my mouse and keyboard are frozen out.

any ideas?

I am an idiot. All I had to do was click on network and it said it detected a new network. Set it up and everything was ready to go (and my mouse is black again). So anyways, I have a perfect working 10.5.7. If anybody need explicit help, pm me. I bugged enough people that helped me (read as: had patience with me). Thanks everybody for the help, my board is working perfectly.

huriedy

EDIT

Evidently had the wrong files. I used the Voodoo kext that bikinifarm uploaded and again, everything is working except for my network. Nothing I try can fix it so far. Oherwise I am on 10.5.7 machine, without the internet mad.gif

^^ Which voodo kext was this and where did you install it?