[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

To success with DB1 guide it needs to have sata hard disk and sata dvdrom?

yes. You need at least a SATA hard disk. DVD is not needed for install as you should clone the installer onto a USB drive

If you have ATA drives (like me) you need to add a patched JMicron.kext to the procedure.

Get the JMicron.kext 64 bit version HERE

Thanks BlackCH and DB1 for your tips...

Here is my problem: I install SL with DB1 info. (USB install) I use AHCI disk and EFI hiden with chameleon RC1. The install is done and i can boot only with -x32 flag.

My kexts i use in /E/E of the EFI partition

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102  1 sep 00:52 LegacyHDAController.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102  1 sep 00:52 LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102  1 sep 00:52 LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102  1 sep 00:52 LegacyYukon2.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel   102 26 jui 19:50 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel   102 27 jui 23:37 OpenHaltRestart.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102  1 sep 00:52 PlatformUUID.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102  1 sep 00:52 SleepEnabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102  1 sep 00:52 fakesmc.kext

UPDATE : I remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, this kext is not required

I modified the dsdt.aml file from DB1 for my NVCAP video and i use the smbios.plist from DB1

Here is /Extra

-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  71254  1 sep 19:18 Extensions.mkext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel	102 24 mai 13:38 Themes
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel	414  1 sep 00:47 com.apple.Boot.plist
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  35938  2 sep 17:42 dsdt.aml
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   1629  1 sep 00:46 smbios.plist

and my com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>Graphics Mode</key>
 <string>1680x1050x32</string>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <string>mach_kernel</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>D8368D89-BB27-3250-B694-8E5BBA1CAF4B</string>
 <key>Timeout</key>
 <string>2</string>
</dict>
</plist>

To make my Extensions.mkext ont the EFI partition, I create a symbolic link /Extra -> /Volume/EFI/Extra and run Kext Utility. After, I remove the symbolic link.

When I boot without -x32, I get this error and the desktop don't display.

09-09-02 17:47:56	kernel	ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Just reporting a successful installation of Snow Leopard, I'm writing from it.

I followed prasys guide as well as the revised guide from db1, kind of a mix. I had a successful attempt(1 out of 7) from usb key. Here I'm after an all nighter, happy and very tired.

UPDATE Screenshots now work!, I couldn't take screenshots, must have been voodoo hda

Ethernet - I installed the yukon kext from the zip(Revised guide)

Sound - Used voodoh , I was using alc883 from a 10.5.6 install disc

Graphics - NvInject didn't work so I used NVEnabler + EFI string in boot.plist, also uid in boot.plist

Quick note to everybody with kernel panics, most panics come from permissions issues. I used chameleon 2 rc1 and efi 101.1. I installed both Chameleon on the usb stick and my current 10.5.6 partition, no problem at all.

I am not booting from usb stick, straight from overwritten previous chameleon 1.0 that comes with ideneb(see above).

Not repairing permissions will create kernel panics, use the kextcachefix script from prasys site !!

Once in 10.6 if you want/need to install new Kexts, use the kext utility script to repair permissions.

Note by default my system loaded in 32 bits, I am now booting in 64 bits, no problem.

Some people seem to have managed to overwrite an existing install, it didn't work for me and is not recommended by netkas, prasys and others. Use an Ubuntu disk, resize your current mac partition or windows(if you're dual booting), create a new partition to host snow leopard.

Summary of the guide

• Install chameleon 2 on your drive(don't install extras)
  • Get an usb stick and format it using hfs journaled
  • In disk utility, right click and use get information and make sure that the checkbox at the bottom is unchecked(to preserve permissions)
  • Still in disk utility copy the dmg to the usb using the restore tab. source dmg of leopard, target usb key
  • Download the kexts, you need fakesmc or dsmos, platformuuid and nullpowermanagement. Look for extra kexts that you might need later.
  • Install chameleon on the usb stick, make sure you change the target volume (don't install extras)
  • Browse the usb stick from Terminal and put the kexts in there(Extra/Extensions, this folder is created by the chameleon installer when you install it on the usb stick). Put the suggested kexts from the guide, (you could also add immediately the kexts that you'll require later I guess, like ethernet driver, sound, but it's not needed, play it safe for now :-) )
  • Get the boot file from netkas and copy it at the root of the usb stick
  • In Extra put smbios.plist
  • Overwrite the osinstall.mpkg and oSINSTALL prasys guide
  • Edit the platformuuid kext and put your uid(get it from disk utility)
  • Update the com.apple.boot.plist with the boot-uuid value
  • Create an efi and add it to your boot.plist in USB_STICK_ROOT/Extra (google for your card model and projectosx if you're in trouble)
  • repair permissions using the script from prasys blog
  • Pray and reboot
  • Boot from the usb stick and start the installation using the -v flag to be able to see messages like kernel panics.
  • When installing snow, don't select printers or additional languages

Good luck fellas, there's also irc for help

Running 64 bits

post-355022-1252000448_thumb.png

Thanks BlackCH and DB1 for your tips...

Here is my problem: I install SL with DB1 info. (USB install) I use AHCI disk and EFI hiden with chameleon RC1. The install is done and i can boot only with -x32 flag.

My kexts i use in /E/E of the EFI partition

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102  1 sep 00:52 LegacyHDAController.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102  1 sep 00:52 LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102  1 sep 00:52 LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102  1 sep 00:52 LegacyYukon2.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel   102 26 jui 19:50 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel   102 27 jui 23:37 OpenHaltRestart.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102  1 sep 00:52 PlatformUUID.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102  1 sep 00:52 SleepEnabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102  1 sep 00:52 fakesmc.kext

I modified the dsdt.aml file from DB1 for my NVCAP video and i use the smbios.plist from DB1

Here is /Extra

-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  71254  1 sep 19:18 Extensions.mkext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel	102 24 mai 13:38 Themes
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel	414  1 sep 00:47 com.apple.Boot.plist
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  35938  2 sep 17:42 dsdt.aml
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   1629  1 sep 00:46 smbios.plist

and my com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>D8368D89-BB27-3250-B694-8E5BBA1CAF4B</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
</dict>
</plist>

To make my Extensions.mkext ont the EFI partition, I create a symbolic link /Extra -> /Volume/EFI/Extra and run Kext Utility. After, I remove the symbolic link.

When I boot without -x32, I get this error and the desktop don't display.

09-09-02 17:47:56	kernel	ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

I'm guessing it could be a 64 bit dependancy not being met on one of the kexts.

However I notice your using NullCPUPowermanagement - why? It works without blocking it thats why I did not include it. Try (at your own risk) removing that and see if it solves the problem.

post-170015-1251974375_thumb.png

Finally i manage to install SL with DB1 guide. in system menu shows this

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6 (10A432)

Kernel Version: Darwin 10.0.0

Boot Volume: SNOWLEO

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: Panos Fg’s iMac

User Name: Panos Fg (panosfg)

Secure Virtual Memory: Not Enabled

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes

Time since boot: 29 minutes

Is it run in 64bit?

Also i would like to change someone for me the dsdt.aml of DB1 and add to it 9800gt (512mb dual dvi)video card because i try hard and i cannot change it.

Try VoodooHDA

Why when it should (is working) with dsdt & the kexts provided? Anyone else having Audio troubles?

@vcobra - you are doing this on a P5K VM right?

Helps when people have or are set up to show their signature.

finally got this to work, few quirks though

- there's no sound ;_;

- expose & spaces performance is sluggish

any fixes for these?

Maybe the kexts on /Extra are not loading. Try running KextUtility.app. With the provided kexts you will have 3 outputs, two inputs, and spdif. With voodooHDA only 1 in/out, and I dont know if it is 64 bit compatible yet.

sounds like you are not getting QE/CI neither. Probably you need to insert a Device Properties String for your GFX. Use efi studio

Why when it should (is working) with dsdt & the kexts provided? Anyone else having Audio troubles?

@vcobra - you are doing this on a P5K VM right?

Helps when people have or are set up to show their signature.

Yes on a P5K-VM, it's in my signature, I will put it in capital letters :-). I'm currently reinstalling, messed up my windows partition with gparted and didn't have much space in snow(40G).

Right now I'm on Leopard new install 40GB, the rest is 260GB to host Snow in hopefully an hour :-).

Another install another success, and I shall help you guys get it right :-).

VoodooHDA will help you get sound in most cases. Install the kext, fix your permissions immediately and reboot, that's it that's all. Patching the DSDT is not required all the time, I didn't do it, if you fail trying patching it anyway.

If I succeed quickly again, I'll try to package my setup in a dvd and upload it somewhere.

Just reporting another win. Deleted my windows hard drive, snow leopard and leopard 10.5.6. I then reinstalled snow leopard to have more space.

Why? Because I messed up partitions resizing with GParted (Ubuntu CD), windows couldn't boot but I could see it from snow and leopard. My snow Leopard only had 50gb while the other 250gb were used by windows and 10.5.6.

Installing Snow Leopard is not too complicated, but it can take time to get it right, it took me about 2h-3h:

Second successful install, again I didn't follow the guides 100%:

- Deleted all my partitions after backups from previous installs

- Quick install using ideneb 10.5.6, I already had a snow installation disc on usb stick

- I didn't patch the DSDT and I have no aml file in the usb stick / folder.

- I had modifications on my usb key with broken permissions, fixed later after installation, no worries.

- This time I installed directly from Leopard instead of using the USB key, couldn't boot with my modifications. I also didn't want to spend all night again on that.

- Fixed remaining issues on the snow partition from Leopard: missing kexts, boot file, uuid in boot.plist, efi string

- Same thing I setup AHCI in my bios settings instead of IDE.

Don't worry guys, you can do it, and yes 64 bits!

Again, use the apocalypse script from prasys guide to avoid kernel panics, it helps you repair permissions and rebuild kexts cache.

Every time you add/remove a kext on the usb key, repair the permissions to make sure your system will be able to boot. Use chameleon RC1 on the usb key.

If you have kernel panics, it's most likely :

• Permission issues on files and/or kexts
  • Missing fakesmc, nullcpupowermanagement kexts
  • Missing uid or efi string in the boot.plist
  • File system corruption that you need to fix with fsck
  • Other missing kexts required by your system
  • AHCI setup, I didn't try if IDE in my bios settings

I've been trying to boot off the Snow Leopard USB drive but no luck. I always get hang up at the very beginning screen (some problem with AppleAHCI kext, then the dump "time up in nanoseconds")

I'm using kext from DB1 revised pack. I installed chameleon without any extra, corrected the UUID, tried with and without dsdt.aml/smbios.plist, change the HDD from IDE to AHCI, pretty much any other ways (even booting with only two kexts per post 526 suggestion).

As I read through the guide, I don't see any part mentions building mkext for the SLboot (to boot off the installer first). I assume it's not needed, but I tried with it too (using the mkext tool from pcwiz).

Any help guys? I prefer to follow one guide only (DB1 seems to have lots of success).

Thank!

I've been trying to boot off the Snow Leopard USB drive but no luck. I always get hang up at the very beginning screen (some problem with AppleAHCI kext, then the dump "time up in nanoseconds")

I'm using kext from DB1 revised pack. I installed chameleon without any extra, corrected the UUID, tried with and without dsdt.aml/smbios.plist, change the HDD from IDE to AHCI, pretty much any other ways (even booting with only two kexts per post 526 suggestion).

As I read through the guide, I don't see any part mentions building mkext for the SLboot (to boot off the installer first). I assume it's not needed, but I tried with it too (using the mkext tool from pcwiz).

Any help guys? I prefer to follow one guide only (DB1 seems to have lots of success).

Thank!

I used some kexts from DB1 revised pack, but I made sure I had the latest version of fakesmc. I'm about to update voodoohda to fix screen capture issues. I didn't partition my usb key in many slices, I was in a hurry and it's not needed to succeed anyway. You should be able to boot with fakesmc, nullcpupowermanagement and platformuuid.

If you're not able to boot from the usb, install from leopard on a blank hard drive. You can fix the installation later from a working Leopard 10.5.x. I always used a modified OSInstall.mpkg and OSInstall, works great.

Did you install chameleon on the usb stick?

Did not know that I need nullcpupowermanagement kext. Can you show me where to get it?

EDIT: nevermind, I used just three kexts as described in prasys guide, but still bump into a grey background with spinning cursor (boot into the SL DVD). Tried install SL from Leopard, but still no luck.

I think i'd wait for someone to make a better streamline + I have more free time to try SL out. Really want to get it now though :)

I do a benchmark with geekbench 64 bit and the result is 4100 in Leopard 10.5.7

and 3100 in Snow Leopard, is something that i did wrong. Also the mkv files doesnt play smooth with vlc in snow leopard.

these are the kexts which i use in extra folder of snow leorard.post-122277-1252040374_thumb.png

I'm guessing it could be a 64 bit dependancy not being met on one of the kexts.

However I notice your using NullCPUPowermanagement - why? It works without blocking it thats why I did not include it. Try (at your own risk) removing that and see if it solves the problem.

post-170015-1251974375_thumb.png

I remove NullCPUPowermanagement, drag the Extensions folder in Kexk Utility and reboot. After some KP, I boot whits -f -v kernel flag, I always had KP. But when I reboot with no flag, Everything worked!

So I guess it was a cache issue or permission ...

I'm about to update voodoohda to fix screen capture issues.

You will not fix screen capture issues with an Audio kext & you have been informed earlier VoodooHDA is not the best Audio option on this Mobo.

You should be able to boot with fakesmc, nullcpupowermanagement and platformuuid.

NullCPUPowerManagement is not necessary.

If you're not able to boot from the usb, install from leopard on a blank hard drive. You can fix the installation later from a working Leopard 10.5.x. I always used a modified OSInstall.mpkg and OSInstall, works great

OSInstall.mpkg is not a complete install, that was the whole point of the revised install method.

Get some experience before making unfounded statements which mislead the less experienced into thinking things dont work.

General to all - it's not sensible to mix different install methods / guides as it makes it much more difficult for anyone to help you. Stick with one guide and see it through, if there are problems enquire and help will be provided. If you cannot get that method working even with help move on to another.

Did not know that I need nullcpupowermanagement kext. Can you show me where to get it?

EDIT: nevermind, I used just three kexts as described in prasys guide, but still bump into a grey background with spinning cursor (boot into the SL DVD). Tried install SL from Leopard, but still no luck.

I think i'd wait for someone to make a better streamline + I have more free time to try SL out. Really want to get it now though :D

If you follow to the letter the guide posted earlier by DB1 you will succeed. I contrast to Prasys guide, the provided guide/files are specifically made for P5K-VM boards; and tested working.

You dont need NullCPUPM or VoodooHDA; vcobra is posting missleading info

Now my install work like a charm (DB1 install kext and notes) but I have ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

I understand that it is connected to the dsdt. Are the tables are different for each CPU?

And the my last question, my power supply don't shut at the end of shutdown, I can fix this with dsdt?

Sorry for posting misleading information. Thanks for correcting me, I'm not an experienced OS X user at all, I started using Mac on the PC early this year.

Please follow the revised guide here from DB1. Yes, indeed OSInstall is not a complete one, there were some problems that I was able to fix later. I repeat, problems will happen with what I did.

The only point to remember from my posts is that, even if you miss the install, there might be a way to fix later without reinstalling, from a working Leopard system.

Now my install work like a charm (DB1 install kext and notes) but I have ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

I understand that it is connected to the dsdt. Are the tables are different for each CPU?

And the my last question, my power supply don't shut at the end of shutdown, I can fix this with dsdt?

yes there will be difference in tables, best to extract your own dsdt and use the provided one as guide for the fixes to ethernet, audio etc

OpenHaltRestart.kext will resolve shut down restart issues - cannot remember if I included that in the pack. Google or the Snowy link I provided should help find it.

yes there will be difference in tables, best to extract your own dsdt and use the provided one as guide for the fixes to ethernet, audio etc

Thanks a lot DB1