[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Thanks guys for clearing that up. Turn out I missed the apple.Boot.plist file (not in the pack).

Anyhow, I got through the original KP, but stucked at the gray background with mouse at the installer. I think it could be the dsdt table. I will try to generate my specific dsdt table and try it again tonight. But thanks for getting me back to the right track.

so i have internet and graphics working perfectly, no sound

and i get random KP in 64-bit mode

and when i try to boot in 32-bit mode i get a KP instantly.

any help?

Which install method? Did you use / build a dsdt?

Which install method? Did you use / build a dsdt?

i used your method and at first i used my own DSDT and only internet was working and then i used yours and graphics was working 100% and internet but still no sound and random KP while using it.

also if i get this to work 100% i have this installed on an external HD and i have 10.5.8 on my 1TB drive is there anyway to copy all of this over because i dont want too try to reinstall on my 1TB drive because it was very hard to get working

Finally i manage to install SL with DB1 guide. in system menu shows this

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6 (10A432)

Kernel Version: Darwin 10.0.0

Boot Volume: SNOWLEO

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: Panos Fg’s iMac

User Name: Panos Fg (panosfg)

Secure Virtual Memory: Not Enabled

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes

Time since boot: 29 minutes

Is it run in 64bit?

Also i would like to change someone for me the dsdt.aml of DB1 and add to it 9800gt (512mb dual dvi)video card because i try hard and i cannot change it.

Please could anyone help me with dsdt.aml file?

I followed DB1's guide to install snow leopard. Installed chameleon en efi 10.1 boot file.

Everything works perfectly but no matter what i try still no audio and video with QE.

This system uses a point of view 7100GS 128MB card, i replaced it with the 9400gt and efi string from my other perfect working snow hack but nothing changes.

Could someone post a dsdt.aml file with hda enabled but no video inserted?

could someone help me with changing what system profiler reports from my computer?

that should be possible editing the Extra/smbios.plist if you are using chameleon 2 or with SMBIOSEnabler.kext if you are using chameleon 1. Another option is to modify the BIOS itself (I've done that and it works very good; my computer gets recognized as a macpro OOTB; althoug I need to add the correct memory speed to the smbios.plist)

A note: I found more safe (and less pretty) to use chameleon 1 because it seems chameleon 2 cannot handle Extensions.mkext file generation on snow leopard yet. While Kext Utility is a solution in case you add new kexts, the problem is when you install an app or package that 'touches' the extension folder without you to notice it. Then on reboot the kextcache cannot be rebuilt.

I am following DB1's revised guide, attached to msg #494, and have everything on a stick, except com.apple.boot.plist, which needs to go in Extra on the SLBooter partition.

Where should I get this from?

Without it, I get a panic after ApplePowerManagement is loaded, very early on.

I am following DB1's revised guide, attached to msg #494, and have everything on a stick, except com.apple.boot.plist, which needs to go in Extra on the SLBooter partition.

Where should I get this from?

Without it, I get a panic after ApplePowerManagement is loaded, very early on.

Not sure why you think not having com.apple.Boot.plist is causing KP, I did not use one on SLBooter. The only one in my installation is the original in System>Library>Preferences>SystemConfiguration which is not modified.

You will need a Boot.plist if you do not have other fixes for Video i.e. dsdt or kexts or if your using a non vanilla kernel.

In Snow Leopard when play a 1080p mkv file with vlc cpu usage is 80-100%

In Leopard with the same file the cpu usage is 30%.

Why this happen?

It could be something to do with the dsdt not assigning the correct settings for your video card.

How is your video catered for in your Leopard setup? dsdt, natit, nvinstaller, efi string?

that should be possible editing the Extra/smbios.plist if you are using chameleon 2 or with SMBIOSEnabler.kext if you are using chameleon 1. Another option is to modify the BIOS itself (I've done that and it works very good; my computer gets recognized as a macpro OOTB; althoug I need to add the correct memory speed to the smbios.plist)

A note: I found more safe (and less pretty) to use chameleon 1 because it seems chameleon 2 cannot handle Extensions.mkext file generation on snow leopard yet. While Kext Utility is a solution in case you add new kexts, the problem is when you install an app or package that 'touches' the extension folder without you to notice it. Then on reboot the kextcache cannot be rebuilt.

thanks but i meant like the CPU speed, the video card model, stuff like that

thanks but i meant like the CPU speed, the video card model, stuff like that

for the videocard you need to edit your DSDT.aml file, or if you use any injector, see if you can change that on it's plist.

for CPU speed you need to edit the 'FSB' parameter inside smbios.plist or edit SMBIOResolver.kext/contents/info.plist file in the same way.

Anyway, those wrong values doesnt influence the performance of the machine in any way

@ BlackCH

Another option is to modify the BIOS itself (I've done that and it works very good; my computer gets recognized as a macpro OOTB;

Care to expand, sounds interesting :-) Not done any bios hacking yet.

basically you edit the DMI data on the BIOS file:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;p=930680&

you can also change the ASUS splash screen with a more 'apple like' one

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1061610

Nice! But I don't have winduz so I guess I'll not get experience playing with bios customisation.

Could you provide the replacement bios file - what version you on? Mine is currently 1001

for the videocard you need to edit your DSDT.aml file, or if you use any injector, see if you can change that on it's plist.

for CPU speed you need to edit the 'FSB' parameter inside smbios.plist or edit SMBIOResolver.kext/contents/info.plist file in the same way.

Anyway, those wrong values doesnt influence the performance of the machine in any way

yeah i know it doesnt change the performance haha, i just like having it report correctly.

anyways how could i decompile my dsdt.aml to change my video card model, without messing anything up. because my video card is working 100%(9400gt 512mb) but is reported as a 7300gs (256mb)

Nice! But I don't have winduz so I guess I'll not get experience playing with bios customisation.

Could you provide the replacement bios file - what version you on? Mine is currently 1001

I've attached the 0902 version time ago:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1044179

You can do the mods on VMware

yeah i know it doesnt change the performance haha, i just like having it report correctly.

anyways how could i decompile my dsdt.aml to change my video card model, without messing anything up. because my video card is working 100%(9400gt 512mb) but is reported as a 7300gs (256mb)

I already posted some instructions in this very topic some weeks ago (when 10.5.8 was released I think)....