[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Great work BlackCH! You people are really helping to take this forward!

I would just like to report that my 10.5.7 retail is working flawlessly. Not a single KP so far (touch wood)! I'm looking forward to Nvidia GTX-285... i intend to buy the Windows (regular) version and use it in my Hackintosh build. I haven't seen any working guides for it thus far.

I hope by the time Snow Leopard is released properly there will be a new guide from you guys that us noobs can follow!

Cheers!

Great work BlackCH! You people are really helping to take this forward!

I would just like to report that my 10.5.7 retail is working flawlessly. Not a single KP so far (touch wood)! I'm looking forward to Nvidia GTX-285... i intend to buy the Windows (regular) version and use it in my Hackintosh build. I haven't seen any working guides for it thus far.

I hope by the time Snow Leopard is released properly there will be a new guide from you guys that us noobs can follow!

Cheers!

http://netkas.org/?p=109

Thanks BlackCH... i have looked at that thread. I have a questions;

Currently I'm running my 7800GTX using a string (as opposed to drivers or injectors). Is the string method more stable than the driver method??(considering that i'm running retail and i used to have KPs earlier when i was not on retail and using nvinject).??

Also it sems like DVI ports are not working for most users on Nvidia 200 series without using DVI to VGA converters... that's a big no no for me.

I'm just trying to check everything before i go ahead and buy an expensive card... i might even go for the GTX 260, i expect it will be a HUGE improvement on my current card.

Its a specific version of PCEFI...I uploaded a snow leopard pack here:

http://www.mediafire.com/blackchxxx

Great thanks. I did get it to boot and work fine. I have not spent much time with audio, as I have an external USB audio device that I can use for the moment. Do not have the folder / drive issue, so far. Haven't tested sleep, but everything else seems to work fine. Based on the activity monitor, most of the processes are running in 64 bit mode. Thanks dude...

Also it sems like DVI ports are not working for most users on Nvidia 200 series without using DVI to VGA converters... that's a big no no for me.

People were having DVI problems with the 200 series?? I'm running an older GTX 260 without any problems. There did seem to be problems with dual-DVI, but I believe netkas's latest injector solved that, as I'm now able to run a dual-link + single-link display simultaneous which didn't work before.

Only reason I went with ATY_Inject was lack of information on how to make an EFI string for the GTX2xx when the drivers were released -- but the system seems pretty well behaved - no KP's, and at this point I'd rather not break things.

I have not spent much time with audio, as I have an external USB audio device that I can use for the moment.

I made some new legacyHDA kexts I uploaded a few post ago. those should give you the same functionality as stickpin's ones do under 10.5

I made some new legacyHDA kexts I uploaded a few post ago. those should give you the same functionality as stickpin's ones do under 10.5

Thanks, much appreciated. Snow Leopard audio does work now using the kexts you provided. I had to re-loop once to figure out the difference between the LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext s in ALC883_LegacyHDA_SnowLeopard vs. P5k-VM_SnowLeopard. The verdict is that the one in P5k-VM_SnowLeopard works. The other one does not. (No, they are not the same.)

I do have the same sleep issue. But I am not too worried about it. If you ever figure it out, lemme know. Thanks.

Thanks, much appreciated. Snow Leopard audio does work now using the kexts you provided. I had to re-loop once to figure out the difference between the LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext s in ALC883_LegacyHDA_SnowLeopard vs. P5k-VM_SnowLeopard. The verdict is that the one in P5k-VM_SnowLeopard works. The other one does not. (No, they are not the same.)

My mistake; I might have mixed up the files

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, based on your help I have a retail install of 10.5.7 running flawlessly since my last post. No kernel panics thus far etc.

What I did was that I installed this on a 120GB 'test' hard drive. Now I would like to clone this install to a new 500GB hard drive (i do not want to repeat the whole process again).

How can I clone this? can someone please give me some pointers? Carbon Copy Cloner? and then what?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

today i decided to put a iATKOSv7 on my Asus P5K-VM G33 Barbone.

after some trouble with the Marvell Yukon Lan-Driver i still have nearly everything nicely setup and working stable.

But, one really needed thing isnt working. The Displaydriver. :-(

With the integrated GMA X3100 there is only VESA (1024x768) avalible. I also have a Ati Radeon HD4550, but there is the same problem - no matching drivers.

I was searching for hours thru the internet to find a solution for the problem, and at least i landet here.

It seems that there is no chance to bring the intel oder ati card to work, so i am willing to buy a new grafikcard.

Can someone let me know what would be the best buy for me - i need a "low profile" for my barebone!

Maybe there is a good buy around 50-80 Euro?

best regards,

colean

It seems that there is no chance to bring the intel oder ati card to work, so i am willing to buy a new grafikcard.

Can someone let me know what would be the best buy for me - i need a "low profile" for my barebone!

Maybe there is a good buy around 50-80 Euro?

If you really just need a nice resolution image on your screen, you could go my route and buy a cheap nVidia 7xxx card.

You can get the lower range 7200 and 7300 passively cooled (no noise) and low profile for 30€ (new!) these days. If you want to go a bit higher, there are the 8xxx and 9xxx cards. Any is ok I think, except for a few that don't work. The ones in the genuine Macs (8600 I believe) are usually a good choice. I don't know about price or low-profile avaiability with those models, the last time I bought a graphics card was last year when I got my P5K-VM and was as surprised as you to find the graphics didn't work. I went the cheapo route, got a used 7900 from a friend for 35 :D

Hope that helped a bit,

Leon

Hello everyone,

In summary, I installed a like retail as follows:

1. Download XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2 and burn DVD.

2. Download on USB drive Chameleon 2 RC1, kexts of bikinifarm (post #364, thank you for your work) and the 10.5.7 update

3. For my installation, I need ViaRhine.kext because my onboard network card does not work (lost connection) I installed a D-Link network card.

4. Install Mac OS X 10.5.6 from XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2 DVD. Just install the Essential System Software and X11, nothing else, on GUID disk.

5. Before final install reboot, make a backup of AppleHDA.kext on the USB drive. Install, from a terminal, Chameleon 2 RC1, kexts from bikinifarm (/Extra on EFI partition), 10.5.7 update and ViaRhine.kext.

6. Reboot.

7. Once Leopard is functional (in one shot!), I changed the IOUSBFamily.kext (post #416), move /System/ Library/Extensions/ViaRhine.kext on the Desktop/tmp/ unpacked the Extensions.mkext of bikinifarm on Desktop/tmp/ add VoodooUSBEHCI.kext in /Desktop/tmp and recreate Extensions.mkekts with MKext Tool. Move Extensions.mkext in /Extra folder on the EFI partition.

8. Crate smbios file into the /Extra folder on EFI partition.

9. Create EFI String (EFI Studio) and add it to /Extra/Boot.plist file on EFI partition.

10. In a terminal, chmod-R 755 /Extra and /System/Library/Extensions

11. In a terminal, chown-R root: wheel /Extra and /System/ Library/Extensions

Like BlackCH, I have sleep-restart issue. Another issue for me, I use a aggregate audio device for my 5.1 speaker. I am unable to change the volume from leopard.

Voilà

When the how-to will be done (change the video card and add an extra network card), I'm interested. Thank you for your work.

That's very helpful. Thank you.

How can I get the sleep-restart and audio problems solved nice and simply?

This is the first day I've explored running OSX and havent even booted the DVD. I was first going with iPC now I'm downloading the xxx 10.5.6.

So many guides out there saying different things! Hope this isnt going to be a headache.

Just want to check, does anyone have problem enabling both wifi card (PCI) and ethernet at the same time? I'm using EFI method on vanilla (a few page back). If I boot normally, ethernet works but not wifi. If I boot with flag -f, wifi works, but not ethernet.

Any idea why?

The card is Asus WL-138g V2, supposedly working OOB (it does, when I boot with flag -f).

Thanks guys.

@BlackCH

I updated to the latest Snow Leopard update that came through the System Update, and it hangs at boot time with:

acpi smc platform plugin timeout.

Was running fine before the update. I am still using the kexts you provided in this forum a while back. Any ideas? Thanks.

Just tried a 10.5.8 update.

Audio broke (crash upon bootup), though swapping to my saved 10.5.6 AppleHDA.kext seems to work.

However, my network adapter seems to be *gone* now. Anyone got any suggestions on this part?

If your network adapter is gone, try to copy the network adapter kext (IONetworkingFamily.kext) from S/L/E to /E/E folder (assuming you're doing retail installation and made a back-up of this file). If that doesn't work, do the opposite (you'd want to have the latest working driver)

I haven't pull the trigger yet, if it's aint broke....

@BlackCH

I updated to the latest Snow Leopard update that came through the System Update, and it hangs at boot time with:

acpi smc platform plugin timeout.

Was running fine before the update. I am still using the kexts you provided in this forum a while back. Any ideas? Thanks.

I havent updated my SL install... but I heard theres problems with the old decryption kexts. You need a new one. See netkas.org for more info

EDIT: I updated it and I get the same error as you have. I removed old dsmos/appledecrypt kexts and installed the new decrypter pkg from netkas before restart (but I dont know if is working as it should).... Right now I dont have time to track it down....

Just tried a 10.5.8 update.

Audio broke (crash upon bootup), though swapping to my saved 10.5.6 AppleHDA.kext seems to work.

However, my network adapter seems to be *gone* now. Anyone got any suggestions on this part?

Guys/girls, here are new Legacy audio kexts to work with the new AppleHDA.kext from 10.5.8 (version 1.7.1 , I think). I've also included the stock HDA.kext in case you replaced it. In that case put AppleHDA.kext onto yout /S/L/Extensions folder, repair permissions.

The Legacy...kexts goes into /Extra/Extensions.mkext

LegacyHDA1058.zip

For network you have to edit the plist on IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.Plist with the right values (is what I do) or use your old patched kext

Guys/girls, here are new Legacy audio kexts to work with the new AppleHDA.kext from 10.5.8 (version 1.7.1 , I think). I've also included the stock HDA.kext in case you replaced it. In that case put AppleHDA.kext onto yout /S/L/Extensions folder, repair permissions.

The Legacy...kexts goes into /Extra/Extensions.mkext

LegacyHDA1058.zip

For network you have to edit the plist on IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.Plist with the right values (is what I do) or use your old patched kext

Thanks for your kext and help.

• 3 weeks later...