0x71C1 - 0x71C7 ATi X1650 Pro fix (QE/CI/Rotation Enabled)

Denicio

354 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a ATI X1650 Pro PCIe, my ID is 0X71C6.

I have installed modbin's X1650package and Qe/Ci/Rotation are supported, I Have not installed the fix.

A question: my monitor is black - no signal if I use DVI cable but function with adapter and VGA blu cable! Why? There is a Fix for this item?

Excuse me for my bad english and tnx.

Giancarlo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi kozlowski, i have many problems with my video card and i already prove with all methods NAtit Diabo... B)

ATI Radeon X1650 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon X1650 Series

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x7291

Revision ID: 0x009a

Displays:

105E:

Resolution: 800 x 600 @ 85 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display:

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as I restarted with the Modbin patch, OS X wouldn't boot. It kept hanging at Login Window Application started. I though it was a problem with the 8.8.1 kernel I was using so I booted using a 8.9.1 kernel and same problem :censored2: Ended up reinstalling OS X. Any other way to enable QE/CI?

Never mind my last post :boxing: I got QE/CI working on my ATi Radeon X1650 PRO 512MB PCIe card using kozlowski's method. What I did wrong last time was that I installed modbin without first removing the Natit X1600 drivers I installed. After I removed the Natit drivers, modbin installed successfully, I installed kozlowski's fix for my graphics card and everything works!

Thanks kozlowksi

Oh yeah and I didn't have to flash my ROM or anything :D

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm a bit noobie with MacOSX on regular PC, but the uphuck 10.4.9 v 1.3 instaled flawlessly on my computer.

Now, I want enable QE/CI but I'm out of luck.... The method described by Kozlowski doesn't worked for me....

After modbin x1650 package have been instaled, I reboot and I got a system without ant graphic working...

My computer is a Athlon X2 4800 with 2Gb of RAM and a Sapphire x1650 with 512 MB and ID 0x71c7.

What I am doing wrong??? What can I do to avoid a reinstall of the whole system after a problem?

Please, help me, and sorry the noobness :-)

Ok people, this is a reply to you & any other person that wants to follow my method and see what can come out of it...

I suggest you install first modbin's X1650 package, reboot, select the desired resolution, and get ready to modify the files.

Get a Hex Editor, i suggest 0xED (Yes, this is the name of the Hex Editor Program).

Copy files "ATIRadeonX1000.kext","ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin","ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle" from /System/Library/Extensions on your desktop.

1) Show contents of "ATIRadeonX1000.kext", go into /Contents/MacOSX and hex edit "ATIRadeonX1000" binary file. Replace *every* occurence of C071 with your Device ID (Example, my Device ID in reality is 0x71C1 so in the file i'll write it as C171). Save the modified file. In the same .kext edit "Info.plist" file with TextEdit and replace the *only* 0x71C01002 entry with yours. In my case it is 0x71C11002.

2) Show contents of "ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin", edit "Info.plist" with TextEdit, and you will see 2 strings in the following format: 100271C0-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e. Again replace the 71C0 with your Device ID on both. Save the file.

3) Show contents of "ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle", hex edit the binary inside /Contents/MacOSX and replace C071 entries with your own, just like you did on step (1). Save the file.

Drag n drop those 3 files form your desktop into /System/Library/Extensions (Authenticate & Replace).

Open Terminal:

sudo -s

chmod -f 755 /System/Library/Extensions

chown root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

diskutil repairPermissions /

reboot

*** That's all, hopefully it will work for many people.

From my experience before doing that, install modbin's package, or else you will get Mouse Tearing.

I tried both method but neither worked for me...

My PC is a Asus A8N-SLI SE, Athlon X2 4800+, 2GB RAM and a PCIe Sapphire X1650 with 512MB (not PRO or XT).

The ID of my card is 0x71c7 and I saw some other cards different than mine with this ID reported on the forums...

I tried everithing I founded over the forums but I think I will have to change my graphic card to make this work...

i know it's a stupid question but what is QE/CI?

QE means Quartz Extreme and CI Core Image. I don't know exactly what these means (I'm a beginner :blink: ), but these two are responsible with those really cool graphics effects (ripple effect in dashboard, cover flow in iTunes, cube efect when switching users etc.).

• 2 weeks later...
kozlowski you mind helping me with the atiradeonx1000.kext ? every time i patch it i get a kernel panic. is about an Ati Mobility Radeon x1700 with the device id 71D5

thx

Please, keep us posted on this!

Thanks a lot!

I wish we could gather all the files posted about various ATi's that did finally work, or even better, someone could make an installer about this...

The installer would obviously help a lot of people, and we could even discover other Device ID that work, as more people would try out an installer, rather than patching files.

hi there,

any tricks for x1650 pro in leopard?

regards,

vlad

EDIT: re mouse tearing

EDIT2: worked using this method

I wish we could gather all the files posted about various ATi's that did finally work, or even better, someone could make an installer about this...

The installer would obviously help a lot of people, and we could even discover other Device ID that work, as more people would try out an installer, rather than patching files.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to everyone!

I've finally made to work my Sapphire X1650PRO PCI-E 256Mb GDDR3 (ID: 0x71C1) on Tiger 10.4.10

The Kozlowski method didn't work for my card before the upload of the new fix for 0x71C1; now all is working properly (QE/CI/Rotation).

I've manually copied all the kext files from the MODBIN package for kernel 8.10.1 to /System/Library/Extensions/ then I've overwritten in the same dir all the kexts included in the new fix for 0x71C1.

Finally, after the usual operations (chown, chmod, ecc.), I've rebooted and... EVERYTHING IS OK! NO MORE KERNEL PANIC AND NO NEED FOR NATIT KEXTS...

Thank you for this post!!!

According to my experiment (apply to both Tiger & Leopard) ,

+ Hex edit & plist edit ATIRadeonX1000.kext --> QE/CI but 1024x768 & mouse tearing

+ 10.4.5 ATINDRV.kext is a must

+ Natit.kext with edited EDID is a must with mobility card to get full resolution .

Any remaining files can be used as original files .

I post detail instruction about patching files , EDID ,replace kext .. in ATIX1700 Mobile forum . I think it is easier for us to conclude what file is really need & we can make installer base on that . Another profit of manual patching is we can make patch for newer kext easily .

PS : I think we should report method & result although it succeed or fail . Although some people used my files but only a few report , this is not good for our community .

• 3 weeks later...

thought I got it but I either have Qe/Ci with mouse tearing or no Qi/Ci without mouse tearing.

here is what I did. I used the flatimage to install Leo. Booted up fine with 1024x768 res on my Dell XPS400 with Saphire X1650 pci-e 256mb, id# 71c1, dual monitor setup with dual dvi.

then I did this to find when I get my resolution correct (1280x1024) and get rid of mouse tearing:

1) I used koslowski's 71C1 files (ATIRadeonX1000.kext; ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin; ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle).

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=52826

that alone didn't do anything. I got my res by forcing it in boot.Apple.plist

2) I then installed the other files that I did not change in 1) from the modbin package

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35733

I replaced these files: ATINDRV.kext; ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle; IONDRVSupport.kext

always fixed permissions, rebooted and voila, no mouse tearing and I have a number of resolutions to pick under display props. but now there is no qe/ci and only one monitor works.

I tried this the other way around, first installed modbin's package and then 71c1 files, but the same happens.

When I put the original ATINDRV.kext back in I have QE/CI back but now with mouse tearing, no resolutions to pick

I would like to get dual monitor also, but it only mirrors at the moment and doesn't detect two monitors (un/replug doesn't help, no options in display props)

thank you

edit1:

ok, redid everything, this time modbin first then kazlowski's method, but edited original leo files . I end up with the same as above. I have Qe/Ic but mouse tearing and mirrored dvi monitors.

edit2:

I upgraded to 10.5.1 and reinstalled the kexts. Now I have everything, I can even rotate the screen. The only thing that is still missing is the second monitor on DVI2. it just shows black. Under device properties in the graphic section it shows Mirror as off. any hints? Is there a software solution for multiple monitors for macs like ultramon for win?

• 2 weeks later...
edit2:

I upgraded to 10.5.1 and reinstalled the kexts. Now I have everything, I can even rotate the screen. The only thing that is still missing is the second monitor on DVI2. it just shows black. Under device properties in the graphic section it shows Mirror as off. any hints? Is there a software solution for multiple monitors for macs like ultramon for win?

wondering if there is anything possible with the Saphire X1650 pci-e 256mb, id# 71c1 to get dual monitor setup on dual dvi? is there no hope?

thanks