Official uphuck 10.4.9 universal x86 install DVD v1.2 thread

Dr. Hurt

508 posts in this topic

I just installed this release on my HP nw9440 laptop. It works great! I chose the "Universal 2" kernel at installation, which seems to run the best out of any release on my hardware so far...

I tried installing iLife from my real Apple restore DVDs, but it says it won't work on my computer. I assume this is because of some sort of check they do from the installer. Perhaps I will need to go get a full copy of iLife (the version I currently have came with my Mac Mini).

Thanks go out to everyone involved and the people in these forums! You guys have already posted answers to just about every question I had along the way... Three weeks ago, I didn't even know this was possible. Now I have something that's close enough to a real Mac to be useful and fun!

ShreddinPB: To Post 393: You can select various kernels during the installation (Intel SSE2, Intel SSE3, Universal 1, Universal 2), but not after it. Installing OSx86 on a combined HD maybe problematic too but i have no expereince in this 'cause I used seperate HDs all the time. Buts difficult in a lappy...

How do you go about selecting different kernels during installation I guess is my question then. I put the DVD in and boot off it. I have the ability to hit F8 at that point to give it some boot options like -s -v, is that where you can tell it what kernel to use? Thats the only time I have any input before it kernel panics.. I dont get any options to choose anything :) Are the "F8 options" documented somewhere that I couldnt find? the only ones I have seen are -s and -v in installation guides.

Thanks a ton for trying to help :) its totally appreciated :)

How do you go about selecting different kernels during installation I guess is my question then. I put the DVD in and boot off it. I have the ability to hit F8 at that point to give it some boot options like -s -v, is that where you can tell it what kernel to use? Thats the only time I have any input before it kernel panics.. I dont get any options to choose anything :) Are the "F8 options" documented somewhere that I couldnt find? the only ones I have seen are -s and -v in installation guides.

Thanks a ton for trying to help :) its totally appreciated :)

You can't, you need t re-install from scratch a choose a different Kernel on the Customize screen of the Installation. Remember to choose only ONE at a time.

wich kext should i use for ATI X300 SE PciE ?

i had 10.4.6 JAS working fine with my ati but now that i sucessfully installed Uphuck 10.4.9 i cant get CI QE.

i've tried latest callisto and the loginwindow crashes.

You can't, you need t re-install from scratch a choose a different Kernel on the Customize screen of the Installation. Remember to choose only ONE at a time.

Ok, there is no install in the first place.

This is the first boot of the DVD to try and install it.

I cant even get to the, customize screen of the Installation, it kernal panics on the very first boot of the DVD before it even gets to the first install screen.

Ok, there is no install in the first place.

This is the first boot of the DVD to try and install it.

I cant even get to the, customize screen of the Installation, it kernal panics on the very first boot of the DVD before it even gets to the first install screen.

You can't even boot onto the installation? Sorry, no idea then.

Hello! I have a question for whom ever can answer it! I got done downloading this (uphuck 10.4.9 universal x86 install dvd v1.2) and it came out as a .cdr image file (of course) So i unpacked, or whatever you want to call it and got the following files: BOOT(56kb), BOOT.CAT(2KB), BOOT0(2KB), BOOT1H(2KB), BOOT1U(8KB), BOOTHELP.TXT(2KB), CDBOOT(58KB), CHAIN0(2KB). Those are the only files I got when I unpacked the .cdr file(which was 4.37gigs)(i used PowerIso). So i burned the following 8 files to a disk and tryed to install it! I put it in and rebooted my computer, hitting F12 and booting to CD/DVD. Then it would deliver me a windows BIOS error and would regularly boot Windows XP.

My specs for the computer i'm trying to put it on are, Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094 laptop, 512mb of ram, 1.60ghz Intel Centrino Duo processor, 53.7GB hard drive(for XP) and 20.7GB (for OSX, its unformated), my computer is also SSE2 (or SSE3, i know its for sure one of those). I'm not sure what i have to do to get this to work! If anyone could please help me that'd be great! Thanks a ton! -Jaime

Hello! I have a question for whom ever can answer it! I got done downloading this (uphuck 10.4.9 universal x86 install dvd v1.2) and it came out as a .cdr image file (of course) So i unpacked, or whatever you want to call it and got the following files: BOOT(56kb), BOOT.CAT(2KB), BOOT0(2KB), BOOT1H(2KB), BOOT1U(8KB), BOOTHELP.TXT(2KB), CDBOOT(58KB), CHAIN0(2KB). Those are the only files I got when I unpacked the .cdr file(which was 4.37gigs)(i used PowerIso). So i burned the following 8 files to a disk and tryed to install it! I put it in and rebooted my computer, hitting F12 and booting to CD/DVD. Then it would deliver me a windows BIOS error and would regularly boot Windows XP.

My specs for the computer i'm trying to put it on are, Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094 laptop, 512mb of ram, 1.60ghz Intel Centrino Duo processor, 53.7GB hard drive(for XP) and 20.7GB (for OSX, its unformated), my computer is also SSE2 (or SSE3, i know its for sure one of those). I'm not sure what i have to do to get this to work! If anyone could please help me that'd be great! Thanks a ton! -Jaime

You are not supposed to unpack it. You need to burn it. That's a DVD Image. If you have DVDDecrypter, burn it straight with that, if not just rename it to .iso and burn with your favourite burning app like Nero or whatever.

what should my partition format be to put on OSX? and how do i format it in that "format"?

When you run the installer, go to the Utilities Menu and choose "Disk Utility". In there select your HDD and format it to be HFS Journaled.

You can't even boot onto the installation? Sorry, no idea then.

Yeah.. this is thre error from my first post

kld_file_getaddr() failed for module com.apple.kpi.libkern

Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.ApplePCIConfigurator.

panic(cpu 1 caller 0x001A3129): Unresolved kernel trap (CPU 1, Type 14=page fault, registers:

(then there are a whole lot of address)

Thanks a ton Foodie Monster! I'll let you know how it goes!

when i try to boot the .iso image on startup this is the error i get...

PXE-061: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM

if anyone could help that'd be great!!

EDIT: FYI. For anyone having problems with sound being choppy and has an Intel (my audio card is a sigmatel 975). Disable Hyperthreading in the bios, sound runs perfect now :)

I'm was using JAS's 10.4.8 and everything was working fine, but then I upgraded to 10.4.9 with the JAS 10.4.9.Combo.Update.Intel.SSE3 and everything is still fine except sound is CHOPPY (well not when playing music or videos, just with sound effects like in games or when openning iChat. My processor is a Core 2 Duo, so there is no hyperthreading to disable. How can I fix my sound!!???

My sound card is sigmatel 9200.

Hi, I just downloaded this version of OSx86 not to long ago, and when I tried to install and go into Disk Utilities, my HD didn't show up.

I'm using an nForce 4 Seagate SATA HD, and could someone please direct me to something that can patch the ISO and give compatibility for my HD. I tried searching, but all I could find were things needed for either post-install, or were dead links.

If someone could help it'd be much appreciated.

Installed and working as follows:

• Foxconn 6150BK8MC-KRSHN2 Mobo (nForce 430)
  • AMD 939 Athlon 64 Venice (SSE3 capable) Core 3400+ O/Ced to 2.51GHz - only SSE2 kernel installed correctly(SSE3, universal kernels hang on boot)
  • 1.25G DDR400 RAM single channel
  • Seagate PATA IDE 120GB HD primary master, WD PATA IDE 60GB primary slave, Pioneer DVD-RW secondary master all work fine on initial install
  • Integrated nVidia GeForce 6150 Video - VESA mode 1280x1024x32, no QE/CI
  • AC97/Realtek HD Audio (0x088010ec) - works with AzaliaAudio installer package on forums (but no front outputs)
  • FYI, the Comodow $10 USB 5.1 Audio also works great if you can't get your onboard working
  • Onboard Gigabit Ethernet (nForce4 0x026910de) - NOT working despite many forcedeth gymnastics
  • Using Netgear FA120 USB 2.0 ethernet adapter I had lying around with OSX drivers found via google - works great!
  • USB works on initial install as 1.1, but needs BugsBunny's 2.6.1a driver to work at 2.0 speeds
  • About this Mac just seems to relaunch the Finder
  • No problems with PS/2 KVM, amazingly.

All in all a pretty snappy system that XBench evaluates as 83 & change. My MacMini Mod (C2D @ 2GHz) Xbenches to 120, but this little system feels about 90% as responsive. Not bad for a budget box. I have it triple booting Win XP, Ubuntu 7.04, and now OSx86 10.4.9.

Props to Uphuck, BugsBunny and other forum members responsible for the 411 that enabled the above...

Strange issue here. I got DVD ver 1.2 to work on my system (Core2Duo E6700 on an Intel D945GCL), booted fine, used it for a couple of days, (kernel v2 I believe).

All seemed wonderful. Then, system froze (from waking up I believe), when it came to, mouse was frozen, so I rebooted.

Oops...

Now, the 'Starting mac' screen comes up but takes a long time, then I get a login window asking for uname and pw. The user account and pw I set does not work at all.

So...

I boot with the DVD and head to the user utility, it says no users found.

So...

Boot into safe mode, check disk (fsck) all says OK.

Try mounting the partition and doing Diskutil repairpermissions /

Sits forever, nothing happens... hmm.

This is the second time this has happened, The drives are brand new (tried 2 different drives).

Extra info:

Booting off SATA DVD, installing to IDE HDD (tried S/ATA hdd to no avail and gave up)

2G mem

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I loath to install all that software from scratch again grrr!

Thx.

PS, Thanks Uphuck for all your toil... And to all those contributing to this project.

when i try to boot the image on startup this is the error i get...

PXE-061: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM

if anyone could help that'd be great, i'm not sure if this is a problem with my BIOS or something else i can fix? Let me know! Thanks a ton! :P