Supported Hardware

88 posts in this topic

Same thing as everyone else....log-in and thats it....

Specs ->>

Dell Dimension 4300 Desktop

512 MB DDR SDRAM

180GB Maxtor HDD, 20GB Western Digital

128MB ATI Radeon 9200

Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz

Also too, we discussed this brefily on the IRC channel yesterday. Finding supported hardware for darwin should hopefully help with getting the leaked verson(s) working. Though myself and Mashugly couldn't find a proper site, and the one we did was taken down because of it's innacuracy.

Probably this is the following well known problem ... the 8.01 distribution was unfortunately compiled with SSE2 instructions enabled, which means you can not run it (nor future distributions) on hardware with e.g. an AMD Athlon or Athlon-XP processor.
http://lists.apple.com/archives/Darwin-x86...n/msg00065.html

This is what this dude said. But below me is a corection.

Probably this is the following well known problem ... the 8.01 distribution was unfortunately compiled with SSE2 instructions enabled, which means you can not run it (nor future distributions) on hardware with e.g. an AMD Athlon or Athlon-XP processor.
http://lists.apple.com/archives/Darwin-x86...n/msg00065.html

Sorry

Athlon 64, Opteron, and above all have support for SSE2.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm most interested in sound card support, because even if the GUI won't boot, if the sound and video cards had drivers from mactelbase.tar that worked in darwin, then I could at least run X with like gnome or something. It might be a nice alternative to linux or something.

i've got the mouse pointer to appear but thats it...

i made a WindowServer.plist and changed the /etc/ttys to start up with login window and when restarted iDarwin just said that starting loginwindow in loop. Darwin is looking for some file to startup with loginwindow (i guess) but so far that's it... sigh

SPECs

intel845e chipset

intel82810 onboard sound

geforce 4 mx

512ram

well i'm browsing this forum but i can't find a description of whats inside the real dev-kit... ne1 tried the 'original' mainboard with the 'original' gma900 vga-adapter? i think the leaked version should run pretty well with this hardware or am i missing something? :?

i guess i will print some of the dev-kit pictures (from one of the mactel-rumors websites) and ask some pc-dealer if they know the type of board...

EDIT:

ok, it looks like apple used this board: Intel D915GUXLK. (f+p://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/ux/C7453001.pdf)

so what do you think? will this thing work?

no we then just find someone to get a dos like pc emulator and install os ontop of it thats how i always wanted ppc to work you put a boot floppy in it puts pearpc on your harddrive like a base os and then asks for the mac cd and you just run mac like it was windows

if a dos working emulator exists

Check this out. This *could* greatly increase the amount of hardware supported. Don't use mactel. Don't boot the disk at all! try this. http://www.osx86.classicbeta.com/forum/vie...c.php?p=932#932

and that should allow complete installations from the dvd. Once you get to an almost booted stage with that, ALL the effort can be put into modifying the installed kext.

None of this hack the dvd and then hack its installation nonsense. BYPASS THE DVD!

sse3 is liekly still required for now.

Im wondering if there are any video cards/drivers that will allow acceleration. So far my GF6800 is a no go. Any other ideas?

I did however get everything else working:

Intel 875 chipset

Prescott 2.8ghz

Onboard sound AC97

USB Logitech mouse

IBM Model M Keyboard

Nec 16x DVD burner

Compaq 16x DVDROM

Onboard Intel CSA Gigabit nic

This is all working from a native boot except video drivers