Supported Hardware

88 posts in this topic

Running VMWare 5:

AMD3500 64-bit Winchester CPU (SSE2, no SSE3)

1GB RAM (512MB allocated to VMWare)

A8N-SLI DELUXE motherboard (Nforce4 chipset, no drivers for ethernet or sound on it at all yet)

NVidia 6600GT PCI-E graphics card (no drivers for in VMWare yet tho)

Disk image for Darwin which I put OSX86 on top of is 20GB.

All working except rosetta now, however some parts are still unstable (the extensions section of system profiler crashes) it is still very usable and smooth.

I followed the guide on xplode.. Got a yellow/grey errorscreen. II tried again booting with the -x switch and i got as far as selecting my keyboardlayout. I tried to scroll down the list and the friggin rotatinig beachball just came up and stood there. I didn't have time to try more cause i'd had to leave for work :)

Gonna try more when i get home..

My hardware is:

AMD 64 3200+

1 GB RAM

MSI K8N NEO Platinum

SB Audigy

Another question:

Let's say i'd wanted to put together a PC for the sole purpose to run OSX, what hardware should i get?

Just got mine running this morning. Third day isthe charm :lol:

Custom Built P4

Method: Installed via VMware and copied all files via Darwin to the Physical Drive

Hardware: Intel P4 3.2 Ghz( prescott), Intel onboard lan (works), intel onboard sound (works), GeForce FX 5700le 256 mb (not accelerated), Intel D865PERL mobo, 30 GB Quantum Fireball LM30 ATA100, RAM 2GB DDR333,

Comments: Native, xplOde's Guide, can use onboard LAN Networking can Surf the Internet. iTunes works for me, even though people said it would not.

I tried to put that in the wiki but my IP was blocked.

Just got mine running this morning.  Third day isthe charm :)

Custom Built P4

Method: Installed via VMware and copied all files via Darwin to the Physical Drive

Hardware: Intel P4 3.2 Ghz( prescott),  Intel onboard lan (works), intel onboard sound (works),  GeForce FX 5700le 256 mb (not accelerated), Intel D865PERL mobo, 30 GB Quantum Fireball LM30 ATA100, RAM 2GB DDR333,

Comments: Native, xplOde's Guide, can use onboard LAN Networking can Surf the Internet.  iTunes works for me, even though people said it would not.

I tried to put that in the wiki but my IP was blocked.

Can we get exact names/part numbers from you on your components? It seems like sound/onboard NIC support is spotty between different versions of the 915 motherboard.

I got it workin natively on my Gateway 507 GR.

itunes doesn't work and i can install flash or shockwave and i haven't tested the sound yet. But everything else seems to work. ohh and i can't get my resoultion to change. stays at 1024 by 768.

Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ LGA775 HT

Intel 915G chipset

intel graphics media accelerator

60 gig maxtor drive( main drive is a 200 gig sata )

512 mb ram raising it to 1.5 gigs tomorrow

I'm also running it off a Nvidia FX 5200 by PNY. its workin but no drivers and i can't get dual monitor support. If anyone can help me out with any of my problems i'd love it. Thanx

Dell Inspiron 9100

Pentium 4 3.4Ghz with HT & SSE3

1GB PC3200

ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB

Logged in and added own user account, can browse the net OK.

Main issues so far are that the res at 1024x768 with no Core Image or Quartz Extreme (but there is no Kext for ATI as far as I am aware so that's expected but it would look nicer in 1920x1200) and the Audio wasn't detected. It was nice to have a look (certainly and if the x86 Macs will take top end PC hardware and let it be used in dual-boot with XP/Vista I'll be getting one!) but i'll ghost back to XP for work on Monday.

EDIT:

Just using "Graphics Mode"="1920x1200x32" works fine. Now if only I could get out of safe mode, use Quartz Extreme, use onboard Audio and the 802.11g card I would be good to go.

does it run on an amd64 3000+? (darwin 8.1) maybe somebody knows...

I have it running on an AMD64 2800+. MSI board with RT PHY, ATI 9600Pro. Just in VMWare right now. I don't have ethernet yet, and iTunes doesn't work, but everything else works. Tomorrow I will try running it natively. I'm also going to look for a darwin RT driver to compile. We'll see.

Guest User Name

i have it running on a emachines m6805..

it was a fairly smooth install (native)

i do have to use the -x flag....

is there a way to have osx show the details of its boot sequence (like linux does)

that way i can see what drivers are crashing, and try to nix just them...?????

I'm up and running as well... Here's the setup:

Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop

Pentium M 1.5Ghz (SSE2)

512MB RAM

ATI 9600 Pro video card

Broadcomm built in ethernet

Dell Truemobile Wireless card (not working, wish it was)

Sound - whatever this sucker comes with... don't remember and it's not working right now :(

I got it to work using the tiger-x86.tar.bz2 +WinHex method. It loads up pretty slowly and doesn't support my onboard ethernet or video cards (or most anything else) but does seem to work otherwise once booted.

AMD 3000+ Venice CPU w/ SSE3

1GB RAM

A8N-SLI Premium motherboard

Dual 6600GTs

Got it working natively on my HP Compaq nx9010 laptop.

I had to use "platform=X86PC" in order for it to boot, otherwise it would hang at the apple logo.

Specs-

Intel Pentium 4 2.40 Ghz

768 MB RAM

There is no sound, and the ATI graphics mobile card is not being read correctly but the resolution and colors look fine. Anything 3D like a screen saver crashes the program. My wireless card of course does not work, a Netgear MA401. But I am able to access the internet through the built in wired lan. CD burning is supported and DVD reading.

BTW, thanks to everyone for their help on getting osx to work!

I have it running native on my MSI S270 laptop, it's running very slow and is therefor not really workable. Everything works without errors, only I can't get my screen to 1280x800, it keeps going back to 1024x768

Ethernet + Bluetooth work

WiFi isn't reconized.

CPU: AMD Turion MT-30 1,6Ghz (with SSE3)

Mem: 512MB

Chipset: ATi RS480M + ATi SB400

Video: ATi RS480 (ATI Xpress 200M)

Sound: AC'97

Ethernet: Realtek 8139

In the next couple of weeks I'm getting a new pc if someone would be so i kind to check this list of hardware i'm getting and tell me if it is likely to be ok? if not what is likely to be well liked by the devopers dvd, if i owned one that is :blink:

Amd 64 3000+/3200+ (depending on how rich i am)

Asus AN8- SLI Duluxe (already got that)

6600GT

Sound blaster audigy 1

1GB/2GB of Corsair Ram (again depending how rich i am)

belkin wireless (guessing wont work anyway)

i'll be useing the onboard sound aswell as the SB & onboard nic.

thanks hoping to run XP and OSX side by side. :lol:

excuse my spellings i'm cursed with dyslexia

Got it working first go...

Used the tiger-x86-flat.img and dd'ed it onto my second hard drive from gentoo. Worked like a charm. Edited grub.conf and added 3rd boot up option ;)...

rebooted and selected apple osx and loaded first go!

I have no sound atm but am working on it... (now fixed), but no iTunes (now fixed but mp3 playback chucks when system is under load)...

I had no network but installed a realtek card from my bit's and bob's box. working now.

Custom P4 3.4

1gb kingston ram

120 gig hdd gentoo/ windows

40 gig hdd osx

Geforce 4 card (still want to get quartz graphics working)

logitec wireless keyboard and mouse setup... (do not install the logitec dashboard from the apple site, as it will hang at boot) - thought i would try something risky. Just booted into safe mode and removed the app. rebooted fine.

All in all its in a kick arse state... runs fast as after deleting the apple chip driver...

Its a sad state of affairs when osx86 runs faster then both my Windows XP and KDE GUI os's run. And osx86 is not even released... I would like to see Microsoft get vista (code name longhorn) running this well on official release ;)... anyway enough Microsoft Bashing... Just can not wait to hack this damned Quartz Nvidia driver to run... There has to be a way!!!

Edited by snafu

Working but can't move the mouse (tried different mice including PS/2 and USB). After some persistent unplugging, plugging rebooting etc I did manage to get it to work briefly and start up Safari, at which point it kernel panicked. Must've been a fluke as I haven't had the mouse working since.

Graphics ok but green line glitches flash up occasionally where the I think the fade effects would normally be. It's the same sort of green lines that sometimes come up when Windows 98 crashes.

Sound works

Network works

Very speedy (at least twice as fast as my Powerbook)

Motherboard: Abit IC7-Max3

Network: Onboard RTL8139

Sound: Onboard... I think it's one of the VIA AC'97 types

Graphics: NVidia FX5900

RAM: 1GB DDR dual channel

CPU: Intel P4 Northwood (SSE2) HT 3GHz

OK

mine works fine. as a matter of fact, BEAUTIFULLY. USB even works, i only got it today so i am still working on getting sound and a proper vid driver in so that i can use higher than 1024*768.

P4 2.4 Ghz w/HT

512 MB ram

SIS 648FX <---- I think thats it, the model of the MOBO has those 3 numbers in it

Nvidea FX5200 Plus (plus means overclocked 10%, same card used in entry level G5s)

works with my 80gig external drive.

ALSO NETWORKING works, i have a dlink card. One funky problem with it is taht mac finds the card 3 times each time i boot, so i have like 300 network devices, i just turn off the new ones found each time it turn it on, and im golden. Im posting from it right now using Deer Park,

FOR THOSE OF YOU STILL STUCK ON THE BOOT SCREEN, this is what you do, you type -v in darwin, and that turns on verbous, if it stops somewher, try in your bios turning off all built in usb ethernet sound etc

that helped me.

Now got my mouse working. What I had to do was go into the BIOS and change a setting like "Support USB keyboard/mouse via..." from 'BIOS' to 'OS'. Works like a charm now!

Safari is unstable but the x86/mac port of Firefox runs beautifully.

When I take a screenshot it's not visible in Preview but it's visible in other apps so I guess that's SSE3 kicking in.

Stuck at 1024x768@60Hz which hurts so I hope someone finds an answer for nvidia drivers soon :)

It even recognises my bluetooth USB dongle, card reader etc. Well impressed.