Supported Hardware

88 posts in this topic

AMD Sempron 3100+

512MB Crucial Ballistix RAM

ATi AIW 9800PRO

Onboard AC97 Audio

Onboard Realtek Lan Card

ECS 755-A2 Mobo

Working in safe mode although my keyboard isn't working. Will try another keyboard and check back here

Up and running natively on:

Dell Dimension 4500

Intel P4 2.0GHz - SSE2

768 MB RAM

80GB HD and 40GB HD - the 40GB houses the OSx86 install

GeForce4 MX 420

LiteON DVD-ROM

LiteON CD-RW

I also have a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Value installed. However, this seems to be unsupported for OS X by both Apple and by Creative Labs. If anyone knows of any drivers that might work I would appreciate it. For the moment, I am without sound.

Got it working natively on a Dell PowerEdge 420SC:

Pentium Celeron 2.8 GHz

160 GB ATA drive

PS2 keyboard

USB mouse

Integrated NIC is NOT working

I also have it working on the same system, P4 2.8GHz with SSE3 and an old ATA033 drive I had lying around.

I have two NIC's a 3COM 905TX, the Broadcom integrated NIC doesn't work, but there may be a driver for it.. am sure I've seen the driver somewhere.. I know it's supported well under FreeBSD..

Can't get video above 1024x768 though

It feels like it's running about 1/3 faster than my 1.25GHz Powerbook G4 with noticable improvements in Safari (which is damn quick at rendering pages once loaded, load times are similar to the Powerbook), and Finder (which is instantaneous), however the noise of hdd thrashing on startup tells me it's not a very clean install, the Powerbook seems to do a lot less data transfer.

I'm thinking of installing to my laptop.. Is any of this hardware nativley supported?

Laptop running:

AMD Athlon 64 mobile 3000 SSE2

Mainboard based on VIA KT800 +VT8235

ATI Radeon 9600 mobillity 128MB Ram

AC'97 v2.1 sounddevice, Soundblaster Pro compatible.

And Intel 2200 Wireless network

Will I be able to run without -x option, will sound, lan, video and preferably wireless work??

Same thing as everyone else....log-in and thats it....

Specs ->>

Dell Dimension 4300 Desktop

512 MB DDR SDRAM

180GB Maxtor HDD, 20GB Western Digital

128MB ATI Radeon 9200

Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz

Also too, we discussed this brefily on the IRC channel yesterday. Finding supported hardware for darwin should hopefully help with getting the leaked verson(s) working. Though myself and Mashugly couldn't find a proper site, and the one we did was taken down because of it's innacuracy.

Hi MrBond,

You have the same desktop as I. Do you know if it is possible at all to boot the Dimension 4300 from an external (USB) hard drive?

I've got OSx86 Tiger working in VMware (very slow) then copied the image to an external disk with dd.exe and updated the BIOS to A06 to be sure, but I still don't see an option to boot from the USB hard drive.

I have it running on my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop.

The Specs:

1.4 P4 proccessor, sse2

512mb Ram

Ati mobility Radion 9000 64mb vram

Sound - I think its internal intel but osx recongnizes it as AC97

Screen Resolution:

1280x1024 at 24bit

Speed: Excellent

Known problems:

Laptop supports 1400x1500 in windows but in OSX screen is scrambled.

Trying to get Netgear wireless ethernet card (pcmcia slot) working

I just need a fix for the bottom 2 and ill be good to go!! <_<

I have it running on my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop.

The Specs:

1.4 P4 proccessor, sse2

512mb Ram

Ati mobility Radion 9000 64mb vram

Sound - I think its internal intel but osx recongnizes it as AC97

Screen Resolution:

1280x1024 at 24bit

Speed: Excellent

Desktop:

ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe (native)

P4 2.6 (Northwood-C w/SSE2)

1 GB DDR400 SDRAM

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

Integrated audio (now working)

Onboard Intel PRO/1000CT (working)

Performance: Outstanding

Display mode: 1024x768x32bpp

Quibbles: Unable to adjust the graphics settings. Sound (integrated) is now up and running; networking (onboard Intel PRO/1000CT) already was. For some reason, Office 2004 Test Drive complains that I am not Administrator when trying to run any apps. However, it installed without prompting me for the admin password. Everything else I've thrown at it so far has worked. Next up is shaking down the DVD Player (haven't tried it yet).

OS X running with iTunes and DVD Player with SSE2

Using Maxxuss patches (Version 1 right now going to try Version 2 when I get home).

Dell 600m

1.4Mhz Pentium M

512 RAM

ATI Raedon Mobility

30 GB HD (of which only 2GB of 6GB is usable in HFS+ format)

1280x1024x24@60

Edited by chispa60

OS X running with iTunes and DVD Player with SSE2

Using Maxxuss patches (Version 1 right now going to try Version 2 when I get home).

Dell 600m

1.4Mhz Pentium M

512 RAM

ATI Raedon Mobility

30 GB HD (of which only 2GB of 6GB is usable in HFS+ format)

1280x1024x24@60

How do you apply the Maxxuss patches?

I have OS X running native on a Dell Inspiron 6000.

1.6 Pentium M (dothan) SSE2

1200 MB DDR2

ATI Radeon Mobility x300 128 mb DDR

Sound --- Works

Ethernet --- Works

Wireless --- Not Working

Screen resolution is stuck in 1024x768. I tried "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32" at the boot prompt with no luck. I will try it with just 24 depth. I also tried platform=x86pc with no luck.

I got the SSE3 -->SSE2 working and iTunes and Safari runs. Anyone get that resolution straightened out yet?

EDIT: I can't get my USB Microsft TrackBall to work. OS X recognizes it and I get lights on the mouse, but no mouse movement or anything. I tried messing with the BIOS USB settings, but it still didnit' work.

I've got OSX running natively on this spec:

MSI 845E Max

Pentium 4 533FSB 2.26Ghz

512MB Ram

Realtek Network Card + Firewire

Gigabyte GeForce 6600 VT AGP

EVERYTHING works, with the exception of the graphics :(

This thing runs faster than my PowerMac G4!

(I had to boot the Partition back in VMWare to make it boot for some reason).

Hello, to anyone attempting to run or already running OSx86 on a Xeon platform

please see http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=387

If possible please also post your experiences there as well.

Please indicate your method of boot vmware / native boot and system specs.

I have not been successful at booting into the system.

-Thanks

Running native on an HP pavilion zd7000. Used it all day at work. Flash MX 2004, Photoshop CS2, iTunes, etc ALL work (mac apps, through Rosetta). Fast and slick! Issues are as follows:

Limewire does not work, I assume this is due to the Javascript issue I read about here somewhere.

Broadcomm wireless does not work, I know this issue is already being worked on. Built in ethernet works flawlessly.

Video, the holy grail. No support for my nvidia Geforce Go card :). I am hoping some code-meister can work a conversion for the nvidia openBSD driver to make it work (wink, wink). I did however get 1280x1024x32 resolution running with one issue. While the 1024x768 mode "stretches" to my notebook's native screen (1440x900), the 1280 mode "stretches" width wise but not the height. i.e. - I only get the top 900 pixels of the 1024, the rest extend below my screen. This initially made the dock disappear below the view but I am able to dock it to the left or right. Odd considering what the 1024 mode did but for all those seeking larger resolutions it may work, sorta, maybe, your mileage may vary.....

Sound works great, in fact the volume buttons above the keyboard on the laptop actually control the mac volume, something I didn't expect.

The processor, a p4 3.06 gb, only supports SSE2 but using the hacks supplied on this site I was able to get rosetta and associated apps running fine.

All in all, I am quite amazed by how well this DOES work! Although I would give my left nut to have nvidia drivers, it's really quite slick. Great job to all those who worked to get it to this level!

Hi there, i'm currently running native on my custom made machine:

ASUS NCCH-DL running 2x Intel Xeon 2.8 (yes two!)

1gb CORSAIR DDR400

PNY QUADRO 750XGL

CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY

All running smooth except for video card and sound... still looking for a solution.

Next step is to find a way to make both of my monitors work :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Running, but buggy, on my Dell Inspiron 6000

Intel 1.6M (planning on pinmodding to 2.13 @ 533)

768mb

40gb 5400

ATI X300 64MB

Audio - working

Video - at 1024x768 but looks ok (dunno how to check 3d)

LAN - working

WLAN - nope

USB - finds 2/4 ports

Firewire - working (not tested tho)

Patch by Maxxuss fixed LAN (I think) and got Itunes, Quicktime and Safari working

• 3 weeks later...
Patch by Maxxuss fixed LAN (I think) and got Itunes, Quicktime and Safari working

ok my specs

AMD 64 3000+ (75*)

Asus K8N E - Deluxe (onboard sound got to work by a guide here, onboard lan not working , sata usb not tested.)

Sony dual layer 700 DVD +-RW works (writing not tested)

Radeon 9600 se (detected as 9600 pro works with vesa 2.0)

LAN CARDS NOT WORKING tried amdtek, Intel pro 100, realtek based one. patched SSE2 > SSE 3 patch of maxuss still no lan card working.

this is deadmoo tiger-flat.img using dd.

Marklar bootable boots but says "hardware config not supported by darwin (x3)" kinda message. mayb it wants SSE 3 cpu.

• 3 weeks later...

Built my Mac with the information I found on this wiki everything seems to be ok except support fo a few devices i.e. digital camera, TV tuner

have Celeron D processor

Intel D915GVWB Mainboard with Reltek ALC 860 audio no input though? though sound is rich

GMA 900 graphics with support for QE etc.

got USB scanner working using SANE

Epson USB printer no problems at all

Installed using patched DVD using Generic Patched DVD Release

Pentium4 Prescott 2.8ghz 800mhz FSB 1mb cache SSE3

1gb PC2700 Dual Channel DDR (yeah I know.. 2700...)

Abit VT7 Motherboard

Maxtor 80gb 8mb cache x2 ata133/sata150

Maxtor 160gb 8mb cache x1 sata150

Plextor PX-712SA sata150

Intel Pro 1000 XT NIC

AC'97 Audio (left channel only, otherwise flawless)

All usb ports are working, although I don't think in 2.0.

All this stuff is working right out of a clean install from the deadmoo image. I have restored all the original unpatched files and man this system hums!

Things currently not working are onboard lan (Via Rhine2), Add-in Sil3112 SATA Raid Controller, ATI Radeon 9600 pro, SBLive 5.1.

I have also tried the following video cards w/o success: ATI Rage128 Pro, Geforce4 MX420, TNT2, Matrox G4 Dualhead. I think I have an Oxygen VX1 3D accelerator laying around too, I'll give it a shot too <_<. Hey, the way I see it.. anything that gets 2D/3D acceleration is better than this Vesa 2.0/3.0 {censored}.

~tweaker

• 4 months later...

My Macos 10.4.3 runs fine with the following hardware:

Abit AV8 (need to switch off the usb emulation in bios to install..after installing, it runs fine)

Opteron 146

2 * 512 mb MDT

Club 3d 9550 256mb (Qe and QI fully working..sometimes the mouse pointer tears...any ideas?)

Audigy 2

onboard sound realtex 650..

Realtec 8939 Lan card (the onboard lan don´t work)

Nec Dvd Burner....it burns...

i cannot name big problems, after updating itunes i have all i want...(I just need firefox, thunderbird messengers and office...all this i have;)

For the resolution i needet to change the apple.boot.plist, to force him to 1280X1024@85 runs fine, i don´t wanna install windows anymore...

on xbench i reached around 28 points, i think its ok, sometimes my system is faster than the G5...fine for me to work.;)

greets,

codo

• 2 months later...

Got it going on the following configurations:

System 1:

Motherboard: Intel 915GAGLX (Video, Audio, LAN....got it so I could use some old DDR instead of DDR2)

CPU: Intel Celeron D 330 2.66 GHz (EMT 64, 256K Cache, 533 MHz FSB, S775)

WLAN: Trendnet TEW-443PI (Atheros AR5212 [802.11a/b/g (rev 1)])

Used a 10.4.4 (patched to 10.4.5 and later updated to 10.4.6 through a little hack) MyZar image to install the OS. I enabled your basic SSE3 patches but didn't need to load special GMA900 or wirelss drivers.

-On-board audio (Realtek ALC650) worked fine out of the box. Couldn't get it to work with the front panel, however.

-On-board video (Intel GMA915) worked fine out of the box. Quartz Extreme and Core Image enabled by default.

-On-board ethernet (the early revisions had an Intel chipset but later ones switched to Marvell) didn't work out of the box. It was detected properly (in System Profiler) and also had an entry in the Network System Preferences, but it would not let me enable it and configure any options at all. It wasn't an issue for me because the person that was using this required wireless, not wired.

-Wireless NIC: Trendnet TEW-441PI. This is a really cheap card and worked rather painlessly. Just go into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and change an entry from en0 to en1 (this is because the on-board network was not assigned en0, otherwise the card would have worked out of the box). It then shows up and is configurable like an Airport card. Word on the streets, this is what they're using in the new Intel iMacs.

-SATA (Intel, of course) worked fine with no configuration or special tricks whatsoever.

If you get the version of this board with Firewire, it works out of the box, I'm sure -- it did on the 945GNT(P)LR (very similar board for the most part).

Also, I should note I tried things with the same setup above except with an Intel 845GNTPLR and all worked fine except for the on-board audio. Sigmatel 9223. I saw things that might have worked with it (I think one a 10.4.6 image the audio worked through the "line-in" jack on the audio card).

System 2:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz (Prescott, 533 MHz FSB, S478)

MB: Abit IS7-E2 (Audio, Network)

VGA: BFGTech GeForce FX 5200 (256 MB, AGP)

-On-board audio worked swimingly. No configuration necessary. Realtek ALC650.

-On-board network works as expected. No configuration necessary.

-I also use an M-Audio FastTrack USB for audio. Worked out of the box with (I think) Core Audio drivers. Reason, Cubase, GarageBand, etc worked fine.

-Also was able to use the M-Audio O2 (MIDI keyboard) with Core Audio drivers. My Akai MPD16 is not working. I think Akai needs to prepare some drivers for MacOS X Intel. I does not use Core Audio, but I think M-Audio's Trigger Finger must (their other stuff did).

-Using a PATA hard disk in this system, so I was unable to test the VIA SATA controller, but I imagine it should work out of the box with most images out there now.

-Used the latest MacVidia drivers to achieve higher resolutions (1440x900). No Quartz Extreme or Core Image yet, tho.

NOTE: I should note that the first system runs OSX much faster than the second one. 1 GB of RAM in each but I think the 64-bit extensions may help on the Celeron D (it has 1/4 of the cache of the P4 Prescott) along with the Core Image and Quartz Extreme support. It's really the only major differences between the two machines. Spending the extra $25 or so dollars is definitely worth it, even if you have to drop a bit more to get a wireless network card (although I'm confident it should be easy to get the on-board Realtek Gigabit Ethernet (8110S or something, maybe?) with little effort).

Using an actual PowerMac USB keyboard and all the function keys work out of the box, too.

Maybe this fills in some gaps left in other stories. Most of what I gathered about this hardware and compatibility were from these forums.

• 1 month later...

I have similat rig but with the master7 and 2x opteron 275 (with a total of 4 cores) 4gb ram and a Radeon 9800pro AIW my integrated sound is buggy but with the correct driver the broadcom nic works. Also USB has some issues.

Hey guys,

currently I have a

AMD Athlon XP 2000+

Gigabyte GA-7VKML

512 MB RAM

140 GB of HDD space.. total

Windows XP and Fedora Core 5

NVIDA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 32 MB

Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit

16x DVD Reader

16x DVD Burner DVD+RW

I am planning on making a $250 upgrade for a Intel Core Duo + Motherboard

anything else i need to get replaced? And the Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit must work because i have a new sound system, and it would be great if it works

any ideas?