[How to] Boot your real Windows partition with Parallels on Hackintosh

249 posts in this topic

well im a bit confused... my WinXP MCE partition shows up as disk0s2 ... but trying to run it gives me a "MBR error 3" and then tells me to press a key to boot from floppy... help?

Okay, well i set the XP Partition to 'Active' and now is just says that it cant load the image/drive... whats going on?

EDIT: I thought I'd be a little more specific, so i might get some help here :P

anyway, what happens when i start parallels and its loading from my other partition, i can see the winXP partition leave my desktop, then it seems to be doing something for a bit, then my WinXP partition shows back up on my desktop and at the same time i get this message "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp;disk0s2!" also i read that the partition must be bootable... well in Disk Utility, when i select my WinXP partition and click info it says "Bootable: No" how can I change this? please help

Here's an odd one......

I have a tri-boot setup all on a single 320GB drive...

Part. #1 = OS X

Part. #2 = WinXP Pro

Part. #3 = Ubuntu

Somehow I have TWO different 'boot managers' both successfully operating... Here is how my system starts up.

Power on....

BIOS Check....

RAID Check... (not using it)

Now on to the managers....

GRUB comes up first and shows all the OS's several permutations of Ubuntu, Windows XP Pro & OS X...

If I choose Ubuntu it boots

If I choose Win XP Pro it boots

If I choose OS X here is what I get....

DARWIN boot manager - when I hit ?return? for advanced options I see

OS X

Win XP Pro

And for some reason it is ALWYAYS defaulting to boot XP (and not OS X - I'd rather have it the other way if possible...)

Oh... now on to my Parallels issue...

I manually edit the required file (as mentioned in the first post) and attempt to have it load my Win XP Pro (from Part. #2 - aka: d0s2) I get a normal Parallels window with that overlay text that says ot to interrupt parallels yadda yadda yadda... the screen goes from black to:

GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB

Over and over and over.... and it never boots into Windows...

Anyone wanna take a crack at this one?!?!

Also if someone can aid me in getting rid of either GRUB or DARWIN partition managers I'd be in your debt... I'd rather keep GRUB since it 'sees and boot' all of my OSes where DARWIN partition manager only shows (and boots) OS X and Windows XP....

TIA

Dave

Any luck figuring how to work around an pre-installed GRUB bootloader? I too see "GRUB GRUB...." when attempting to boot the partition...

Worked for me using installs on separate hard drives using chain0, but running the boot camped windows is irrititatingly slow even with parallels tools installed. Also, when I got back to booting the windows natively it started detecting hardware again. it that normal?

Before try getting work Coherence Mode, you need to istall Parallels Tools from their menu. When you did it, reboot the virtual machine and at the following boot you'll can use Coherence.

Also, when I got back to booting the windows natively it started detecting hardware again. it that normal?

Well, I don't know. Keep attention, because Windows could do confusion with drivers.

Sherry Haibara

amazing! thank you for this tip!

trying to get coherence mode working with your instructions.

1. installed parallels tools

2. rebooted vm

no luck...

also cannot detect network bridge in vista? no internet. any ideas?

post-61317-1184108601_thumb.png

ok, i have mac os x installed on my 2nd hd and vista home premium on my 1st. i was able to install parallels and get it to boot, but the problem is that it gets half way through the boot and shuts down parallels. any ideas on how to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my system crash and force to reboot after i press the button play, and even open the *.pvs later on

anyone has any ideas, is ntfs-3g work okay with parallels?

[05.08.2007]-[11:38:00.751]: find_bsd_win_parts: Win partition disk2s1 is not removable
[05.08.2007]-[11:38:00.751]: find_bsd_win_parts: Win partition disk1s1 is not removable
[05.08.2007]-[11:38:00.752]: find_bsd_win_parts: Win partition disk0s1 is not removable
[05.08.2007]-[11:38:00.755]: find_bsd_win_parts: Win partition disk2s5 is not removable
[05.08.2007]-[11:38:16.252]: find_bsd_win_parts: Win partition disk2s1 is not removable
[05.08.2007]-[11:38:16.269]: find_bsd_win_parts: Win partition disk1s1 is not removable
[05.08.2007]-[11:38:16.270]: find_bsd_win_parts: Win partition disk0s1 is not removable
[05.08.2007]-[11:38:16.273]: find_bsd_win_parts: Win partition disk2s5 is not removable
[05.08.2007]-[11:38:45.710]: find_bsd_win_parts: Win partition disk2s1 is not removable
[05.08.2007]-[11:38:45.717]: find_bsd_win_parts: Win partition disk1s1 is not removable
[05.08.2007]-[11:38:45.718]: find_bsd_win_parts: Win partition disk0s1 is not removable
[05.08.2007]-[11:38:45.721]: find_bsd_win_parts: Win partition disk2s5 is not removable
[05.08.2007]-[11:38:45.722]: GetDefaultPartition: 4 non-removable partitions found, can't choose default
[05.08.2007]-[11:38:45.722]: Open: More than 1 partition detected, need to use custom BC.

Aug  5 11:49:15: Disk Utility started.

Name : 	WinXP
Type : 	Volume

Disk Identifier : 	disk2s1
Mount Point : 	Not mounted
File System : 	Windows NT Filesystem 3G
Connection Bus : 	ATA
Partition Type : 	Windows_NTFS
Device Tree : 	/PCI0@0/ICHX@1F,1/PRIM@0/@0:1
Writable : 	Yes
Capacity : 	39.2 GB (42,105,176,064 Bytes)
Owners Enabled : 	No
Can Turn Owners Off : 	No
Can Be Formatted : 	Yes
Bootable : 	No
Supports Journaling : 	No
Journaled : 	No
S.M.A.R.T. Status : 	Verified
Disk Number : 	2
Partition Number : 	1

so i edited the pvs as following

[IDE devices]
Disk 0:0 enabled = 1
Disk 0:0 = 1
Disk 0:0 media = 1
Disk 0:0 connected = 1
Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;disk2s1
Disk 0:0 cylinders = 0
Disk 0:0 heads = 0
Disk 0:0 sectors = 0
Disk 0:1 enabled = 1
Disk 0:1 = 2
Disk 0:1 media = 1
Disk 0:1 connected = 1
Disk 0:1 image = Default CD/DVD-ROM
Disk 1:0 enabled = 0
Disk 1:0 = 0
Disk 1:1 enabled = 0
Disk 1:1 = 0

so did i do something wrong? i'm using uphuck1.3 10.4.9

thankss

I've followed the above advice to no avail. My set-up is an AMD 64 X-2 4200 using a Gigabyte motherboard with nForce 4 chipset, which is I think the culprit here. My Hackintosh is on a P-ATA drive, but my native windows partion is on a S-ATA drive. Attempting to boot from withing Parallels leads to disk corruption; the bios will no longer boot the drive, likely this occurs when Parallels attempts to install its drivers. Installing from within Parallels, I can use the hard drive and boot from Parallels, but I can no longer boot directly.

Has anyone gotten this to work on nForce4 with an S-ATA windows drive or partition?

I've gone back to using a Win2K virtual disk for those windows tasks that need doing during the day, and booting natively into the Windows drive (XP-pro) only for games. Rather pathetic really. Appreciate everyones input and work on this thread--really wish it had worked for me.

i finally boot up my windows XP successfully,

after updating to build 5060 , no more kernel panic.

my config can check my signatures.

using bridge network and parallels tools installed

everything works find except a bit slow, sometimes no responding if i launch again , plus a bit glitch on the corner.

post-23385-1186573800_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Paralells just crashes for me when I try to boot the machine. No errors or anything... aside from a standard "Application has quit unexepectedly"

I think it is because Mac OS X and Windows are on the same hard drive though :)

Someone please help me. I just installed 10.4.8 and parallels 5160. I have OS X on one drive, and an existing XP install on a second drive (NTFS). Parallels sees my XP drive, but won't let me start XP.

Will Parallels run an existing NTFS XP install on a second drive (not a partition)?

Do I need to install something on my XP install for it to be recognized in Parallels?

Yes Parallels will run XP in Boot Camp mode for your configuration (and also for XP installed on different partition but same drive).

If you are having trouble booting XP via Parallels you may need to edit the .pvs file (usually found in ~/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP).

Find the line containing the text "Boot Camp", it will look something like this:

Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp.

The "Disk 0:0" part may be different depending on your configuration.

Append ";disk@s#" where @ refers to the hard disk as OSX sees it and # refers to the partition number where your copy of XP is installed. It looks like this for my comp:

Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;disk1s1

Use "diskutil list" from terminal to find values for @ and # for your system.

Hope that helps. These instructions (and a lot more info) are in this thread so read through it.

Thanks, I'll try that! Also, will XP be able to use my wifi card, or does it only use equipment OS X can talk to? The wireless issue is the only thing holding me back from using OS X 24/7. I've got to find a part that works...

Yes Parallels will run XP in Boot Camp mode for your configuration (and also for XP installed on different partition but same drive).

If you are having trouble booting XP via Parallels you may need to edit the .pvs file (usually found in ~/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP).

Find the line containing the text "Boot Camp", it will look something like this:

Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp.

The "Disk 0:0" part may be different depending on your configuration.

Append ";disk@s#" where @ refers to the hard disk as OSX sees it and # refers to the partition number where your copy of XP is installed. It looks like this for my comp:

Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;disk1s1

Use "diskutil list" from terminal to find values for @ and # for your system.

Hope that helps. These instructions (and a lot more info) are in this thread so read through it.

by the way:

VMWare Fusion recognizes all the right configurations by itself! I didnt need to hazzle with config files.

My hackintosh system:

Disk 1

1. Partition Windows XP (Set to active, will be hidden asaik when booting OSx)

2. Partion OS x 10.4.9

Windows MBR and OSx to be booted via Chain0

Disk 2

1. Partion NTFS

Kind regards, x!

P.S. Dont support Parallels, read that article instead: http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/05/31/net...sues.avanquest/ (or that, if you do understand german (much more information in detail: http://www.golem.de/0708/54217.html - in general: Parallels uses large parts of stolen source-code of a software called TwoOSTwo: Watch these screencaps and ask yourself, if those similarities can be a matter of coincidence: http://scr3.golem.de/?d=0708/netsys_vs_parallels&a=54217 )

• 1 month later...
GUYS, GREAT NEWS!

Parallels with Custom Boot Camp configuration can boot Windows partitions on Hackintosh! Tested it right now!

This is what you need to do:

1) First of all, you need to get the latest Parallels Desktop beta (RC2) here.

2) Now, install it. If you have an AMD Processor, before install you need to open the package and edit the Info.plist line that says "GenuineIntel" writing instead "AuthenticAMD".

3) Open Parallels and choose to create a new virtual machine. It'll ask you what HD do you want to use. Choose Boot Camp.

4) Continue the setup, but do not run the Virtual Machine. When finished, close Parallels.

5) Use a Text Editor (like TextEdit or Nano, maybe nano works better) to edit your virtual machine configuration file (.pvs). Find the line that says:

"Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp"

and replace it with this

"Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;diskxsy"

where diskxsy is your Windows/Linux/Other OS "Boot Camp" disk: for example, for me is disk1s1.

6) Save and exit.

7) Start up Parallels and launch the Virtual Machine. Enjoy :)

Sherry Haibara

Hi,

call me blind, but I don't find the "Info.plist". I downloaded the files above and there is no such file. some help please

Guys...A word of Warning. ;)

I just did this with Parallels in Leopard and booted into my Vista partition...and it worked. It worked great! And it worked for more than a few times..but then suddenly at one point, when I was trying to boot into Vista under parallels again, I get a message in Vista asking for my serial key because some hardware configuration has changed!!! :blink:

So I try to actually restart my computer and boot into Vista, and guess what? Same problem. So parallels actually can mess up your Vista partition and cause it to think your machine config has changed and it will ask you for a serial..and you won't be able to use Vista unless you actually DO provide a serial key! So my friends, be very careful when you're about to do this. .....Unless someone knows how to get around that, please let me/us know.

Works!

Three partitions on the same disk:

Windows XP (NTFS, Primary)

Mac OS X (HFS+, Primary, Active)

Data (FAT32, Primary)

I had to boot to XP and create a second hardware profile. Also, I had to to copy the chain0 file and edit the boot.ini, cause I used the Darwin bootloader.

Then i booted to OS X, set the Windows partition to active and followed the guide to the first post.

Does anyone know how to install the Parallels tools?

real noob question I'm sure but when I try to edit the plist file to say "AuthenticAMD" and save it says cant save... I'm using plistedit pro... maybe this is the problem? is there another way to edit plist files?again, I'm a noob to osx86 so sorry.nvm... some googling and quick thinking on my end payed off.

holy {censored} i got it working.

I HAD the can't run the disk1s1 thing. I made it active... still problem..

THe trick is to click the Green PLay button.

had the same thing: tried for hours making the partition active + fooling around with EasyBCD while all I had to do was press play... :(

thnx!