[How to] Boot your real Windows partition with Parallels on Hackintosh

249 posts in this topic

i installed Parallels on my Hackintosh but it doesn't even give me the option of selecting bootcamp. Do I have to install bootcamp before it recognizes my windows partition? also i use Windows bootloader, and from there I select to boot OSX, does that make a difference? my Windows partition is disk0s1 and OSX is disk0s2.

If parellels starts, click on hard drive. Should see boot camp option there. If not did you edit the file in the first post?

Don

By default Parallels on Hackintoshes is not allowed, but you can edit the file manually.

As I said I formated/repoartinioned one of my hard drives as GPT (GUID) with Disk Utility and now Parallels let me choose Boot Camp.

the way my boot loaders go is...Windows boot loader first. It lets me choose between Windows and OS x, then if i choose os x, it goes to darwin boot loader.

EDIT: im just gonna try swaping my hard drives places and make mac my first drive.

Edited by Jeezoflip

ok.

I've tried darwin.

but i'm sure Chain0 works best for this situation.

it boots correctly in to window everytime now.

works like charmed.

Cheers!

ok.

I've tried darwin.

but i'm sure Chain0 works best for this situation.

it boots correctly in to window everytime now.

works like charmed.

Cheers!

Never had any luck with chain0 method but I guess I will try again. Now my main concern will be the windows activation and other problems mentioned by others.

Thanks,

Don

yes it is active and bootable. I did edit the file after swapping them to disk1s1. But it still would not work. So i put them back in order (Windows first, mac second). Windows boots first, and brings up the windows bootloader. Then i can go to xp or mac from there with chain0.

If parellels starts, click on hard drive. Should see boot camp option there. If not did you edit the file in the first post?

Don

in the virtual hard drive option area where i can select boot camp, it's greyed out. what file am i suppose to be editing???

okay wait, is everyone that has this working using two separate drives for windows and osx? cuz i have it dual booting on ONE drive with two partitions.

Edited by isse03

in the virtual hard drive option area where i can select boot camp, it's greyed out. what file am i suppose to be editing???

okay wait, is everyone that has this working using two separate drives for windows and osx? cuz i have it dual booting on ONE drive with two partitions.

The .psv file from the first post. Step 5. I have it triing to boot finally. I have only 1 drive. Put your drive geometry in the file. Mine is hanging starting windows because of lack of memory I think. Will post more if I get it working.

Don

Edited by donh

Could someone pleazzze help?

I would really like this to work, but what about the XP registration message? XP keeps telling me I have to register again because the hardware (virtual machine) isn't the same as the native hardware.. .

Am I the only one who's getting this message?. (using registered XP)

Or did I chicken out too soon and is Parallels going to fix this by installing special drivers and stuff???

BTW I was kinda pissed off earlier this weekend because I just completly fckd up my windows installation (meaning lots of work reinstalling.. )

and in the reinstall process had XP install a XP mbr on my OSX partition so I kept getting a NTLDR missing message every boot..( meaning lots of work yet again..) ;) So my tone in two earlier posts may have been affected by that.. .

Please help anyway..

Ok I get a BSOD and cant read it then get this warning. "You are trying to boot via virtual machine into the Boot Camp partition with operating system that is not supported by Parallels Desktop. Booting into this partition may result in data loss and partition coruption"

Yes it did hose windows. oh well didnt like the compaq install anyway. What will I need to do to avoid this after new install?

Thanks,

Don

ok guys.

my windows partition refuse to boot after i tried to install software and update windows in parallel running xp.

after reboot. it turned out to be showing the error "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp;disk1s1!"

after i did a system restore. it seem to be able to boot again.

so at this point i'm starting to believe that the MBR isn't a problem but it's either the software install or updates that breaks the parallel.

i guess it's safe to say that it works well with clean window install.

Do you guys know what it installs to XP and how to get rid of it if I need to? I was a bit alarmed by the amount of installation messages during the initial configuration.

The other issue is that in my case Photoshop and Maya would not run in Parallels because of some licensing errors. They don't recognize the hardware the way XP does natively. Not that I really need them in Parallels, but just an observation.

Oh, also it would help to put a note on where to find the .pvs file for people new to parallels (in Documents/Parallels).

Edited by dvornik

Ok with a clean install it seems to be working. Too slow to be useful for working with it all the time but that is my laptop not parallels I think.

Installed xp clean.

Did parallels config.

Activated in paralells.

If it breaks I will let you Know.

Don

Edit:

It worked a few times. Now fails to load. Had to reactivate in xp then it stoped working in parallels. It may have been getting the wireless working that broke it. I give up for now will try the next version some day.

Don

Edited by donh

I'm getting the error "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp;disk1s1!"

I'm on a hackintosh. I've got Vista installed on my primary hard drive, which is disk1s1.

You should also edit the MEDIA on the PVS file, Disk 0:0 Media = 0 is for images, 1 is for real HD/CD