[How to] Boot your real Windows partition with Parallels on Hackintosh

249 posts in this topic

Wow. This is great stuff. Forgive me for my ignorance of parallels emulation, but allow me to ask a question about its abilities. Could I run XP virtually inside OS X and then have Media Center record tv shows? In other words, can the XP emulation access a device such as a tuner card or is everything virtualized?

I can't make the full switch to OS X, because Media Center is just too awesome =)

A few issues:

I just tried the GUID method listed above. Boot Camp is an option.

Parallels 3186

Two different errors:

disk0s1 XP: FAT32 -- NTLDR is missing

disk0s1 XP: NTFS -- Boot from hard disk .... __

disk0s2 OSX:

disk1 : GUID disk

I get the installing tools warning not to shut it off, but after leaving it for 30 minutes, it looks like it is hung.

Parallels crashes outright if I leave the disk geometry entries in.

Boot Camp;disk0s1 has been appended as noted above.

Has anyone run into similar trouble?

SATA

Core Duo 2.16Ghz

Laptop

Is it possible to manually configure the windows XP side. It looks like there are two files:

hal .dll something {hard ware}

nt .exe something {kernel}

Has anyone manually configured Parallels?

Wow. This is great stuff. Forgive me for my ignorance of parallels emulation, but allow me to ask a question about its abilities. Could I run XP virtually inside OS X and then have Media Center record tv shows? In other words, can the XP emulation access a device such as a tuner card or is everything virtualized?

I can't make the full switch to OS X, because Media Center is just too awesome =)

No, you can't access hardware directly unless it is a USB Device, HD (BootCamp) or CDROM

Hey all, first post for me, but i've just tried parallels on my single hd dual boot os x/ xp setup and it's working fine...... except for coherence

haven't tested it specifically, but you have to set your xp partition as active.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=41776# <----- check post #11

i ended up changing my darwin boot to the chain0 method because i didn't really want to have to go through fdisk everytime i wanted to use it.

My setup:

Dell E1405/640m

T5600 --> only one core working

Jas 10.4.8

XP on disk0s1

OS X on disk0s2

Success!

I installed OSX disk0s1 (partition 1)

WINXP (partition 2) NTFS

Works P3186 works without GUID partition!

Finally boots correctly. I had to install parallel tools manually from within the OS and startup times are very slow.

Edited by Amuraivel

Hey all, first post for me, but i've just tried parallels on my single hd dual boot os x/ xp setup and it's working fine...... except for coherence

haven't tested it specifically, but you have to set your xp partition as active.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=41776# <----- check post #11

i ended up changing my darwin boot to the chain0 method because i didn't really want to have to go through fdisk everytime i wanted to use it.

My setup:

Dell E1405/640m

T5600 --> only one core working

Jas 10.4.8

XP on disk0s1

OS X on disk0s2

I tried your method, but every time i try to write the changes to the MBR it says I need to restart. Also chain0 doesn't work for me for some reason, it just loops.

Edit: Never mind, I was an idiot, got it working now, sweet solution delirium

Edited by triggerc

So XP partition needs to be active too ?

Anyone ?

The real windows partition needs to have parallels tools installed ?

I'm trying to boot it via Parallels Boot Camp with the latest version

Anyone ?

The real windows partition needs to have parallels tools installed ?

I'm trying to boot it via Parallels Boot Camp with the latest version

If you have osx ans windwos on the same hd you will need to boot to osx with the chain0 method so that the windows partition is the active one.

If you have osx ans windwos on the same hd you will need to boot to osx with the chain0 method so that the windows partition is the active one.

Well i am booting WIndows from Darwin.. OSX is the active partition and if i wnat to boot to windows I press F8 is that what u mean?

no windows should be your active partition, and boot into osx with chain0, there is a guide for the chain0 booting on profit42.com, i'd go find it now, but i have to go to bed. If you still can't find out how to do it i'll post a link tomorrow.

RobNyc: You can set your active partition within OS X before you boot Parallels, and then change it back afterwards.

It would be nice to find a way around this however.... hmm...

What about a tiny parallels virtual disk which holds the Windows bootloader, and passes control to the real partition?

Thanks! It worked OK with the instructions from the first post.

A couple of things;

-It seems the boot.ini file within the windows partition get modified by parellels automatically (???).

-I had to set the OSX partition as default from the bootmanager (I use Acronis BM). In this way my OSX is 'disk0s1' and windows (NTFS) is 'disk1s1' (but I dont know if this is really needed). The OSs are in different disks.

-I got "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp;disk1s1!" a couple of times. I pressed the green (start) arrow and it worked fine.

-I had some troubles (resolved) with the mouse & keyboard drivers. It might be wise to create a two different hardware profiles (one for native booting and other for parallels) in windows before attempt to boot with parallels.

-booting time is almost too long but once is there it works fast enough.

I am trying to get WinXP partition to boot under bootcamp/parallels.

on the same hard drive i have it partitioned for my osx and windows xp install, i have no problems dual booting using darwin.

i edited the .pvs file and added the line to the bootcamp, i'm positive it is the right drive "disk0s2", however I get a error when I try starting it.

Currently the OS X is the active partition, do I need to change it to Windows and just use the chain0 method to get into OSX?

Still can't get this to work.. I changed my windows partition as active one and I boot into OSX using the chain0 method.

I have edited the pvs and also partitioned my storage hard drive as a GUID Partition Table

but still does not boot.

I don't remember where, but someone mentioned the "BootCamp support files" which need to be copied into the Windows partition. Where can I find these BootCamp support files and what is their exact filename?

The support files are usually automatically loaded when you install or boot your Windows installation. If it doesn't pop up from taskbar within the vm, you can load the utilities from Parallels' Action menu.

Added: I only noticed there was an option under the same menu to "Install Kaspersky Internet Security". Now ain't that cool? It's the same security suite I use under WinXP, so I guess I made the right choice :P For those who have installed KIS under their VMs in Parallels, do you get a free subscribtion for their online updates? I already have my own subscription, so I didn't even get to test this option.

Edited by Zulu.Walker

I should mention that I am trying a different method. In fact, this is what I am trying: I am using a MBP C2D, BootCamp is installed on the machine, but I didn't create a partition with it. I am connecting my old PC hard disk with Windows (via USB or eSATA) and its other NTFS partitions (of course all MBR flavor) on it and I am trying to start my Windows installation from Parallels via editing the .pvs file using the Custom BootCamp method, which ends in the Can't start diskxsy... error message. Maybe the method I'm trying won't simply work at all, but I think there must be a way to get it done, or do I have to create a BootCamp partition? I thought that the Custom BootCamp method was also for use on non-BootCamp created partitions (i.e. already existing Windows installations on other disks).

Can someone tell me how to get things working?

Today I formatted my third drive (yes the one I used with GUID) to MBR with a NTFS partition and Parallels let me choose BootCamp, weird isn't it?

Anyway I copied the XP files from another disk, and it worked all right. I don't get it, with my second drive (FAT32 formatted) alone the BootCamp option is disabled, but with the third drive I can use any of them.

Well I also booted the third drive on VMware (windows), the only problem I got is the driver of the mouse, since it uses the same ps2 port VMware doesn't detect a change in that harware, neither parallels, so every time I change the VM host I need to change the mouse driver, apart from that there are no conflicts in other harware.

@Zulu.Walker:

I am not sure if there is you got confused about BootCamp support files and the Parallels Tools. I remember someone talking about these BootCamp support files, but I don't know which these are.

OK...

So I installed Parallels 2.5 and now my WinXP partition will not boot on its own. It hangs during boot. I can boot into safe mode though, which leads me to believe that Parallels has installed some drivers that are preveting Windows from booting natively.

The weird thing is that the WinXP partition boots find under Parallels.

Has anybody else seen this behavior?

- J