[How to] Boot your real Windows partition with Parallels on Hackintosh

249 posts in this topic

Well, this thread is about Hackintoshes, and hackintoshes (or vanilla PCs) don't need BootCamp.

The thread also is about using the BootCamp OPTION on Parallels, not BootCamp itself.

But if you want to install XP on a real Mac there is another option tahn BootCamp see: http://www.onmac.net/

So my OSX needs to be only active partition so I can boot with Darwin loader and if i want to go into windows press f8

will that way still work with parallels booting the xp partition?

So my OSX needs to be only active partition so I can boot with Darwin loader and if i want to go into windows press f8

will that way still work with parallels booting the xp partition?

Sorry I should be more clear. I just installed Windows XP through parallels w/o a Windows Partition. Parallels created everything on its own. I was wondering it it is possible to do that in OSX86.

Well, this thread is about Hackintoshes, and hackintoshes (or vanilla PCs) don't need BootCamp.

The thread also is about using the BootCamp OPTION on Parallels, not BootCamp itself.

But if you want to install XP on a real Mac there is another option tahn BootCamp see: http://www.onmac.net/

Here's my solution to this problem. I figured that this was a result of the windows disk not really having a boot loader in the mbr. So, rather than install grub or something that I'm too lazy to do, I downloaded the "Super Grub Disk" at http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

You download the CD image. Then, in your parallels configuration, use the CD image as the CD ROM device. Set Parallels to boot from CD first. Voila! The system boots. From the menu choose to load the windows partition (or, in some cases perhaps "boot windows from 2nd harddrive"), and there you go.

Heres wht I did

1) Install Parallels and made XP partition Active and Bootable. Rebooted to confirm.

2) Completed Setup Wizard as given in guide

3) Make change in the .pvs file (added disk0s1 - WinXP partition)

4) Clicked Run

5) Parallels gave me an "Unable to Mount Error"

6) Clicked on Harddisk1 in Parallels Window

7) Clicked on Advanced TAB

8) Changed "Connect to" option from 0:0 to 1:0

9) Restarted Parallels

10) Clicked on Play Button

11) Parallels starts :P

12) Parallels says my HDD is not bootable

post-14713-1170702764_thumb.png

I've read the whole thread and still have no idea how to boot partitions in parallels.

The problem is that I've had problems with formating my partitions for mac, so the only way it worked was making the mac partition extended, in other cases I had errors during formatting or even during installation.

Second nonstandard thing is that I use two partitions in windows, and I need parallels to mount them correctly, becouse my desktop and document are on drive D. =)

So... Here`s how my hdd lookes like:

disk0

partition1, primary (disk0s1 - XP)

partition2 - extended

\disk0s2 - mac.

partition3, primary (disk0s3 - stuff)

So if I try to make the first partition active, I can`t boot to mac, problems with chain0.

I've also tried to use fdisk in os x:

hramziks-computer:~ hryamzik$ sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk0

Password:

fdisk: /dev/disk0 is not a character device or a regular file

hramziks-computer:~ hryamzik$ sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk0s1

fdisk: /dev/disk0s1: Resource busy

hramziks-computer:~ hryamzik$

Next interesting thing is that when I use ide 0:0 parallels say they can`t open boot camp;disk0s1, but when I change hdd info to 0:1 they have problems with boot devices. It seams to me the second way isn`t correct.

[iDE devices]

Disk 0:0 enabled = 0

Disk 0:0 = 0

Disk 0:1 enabled = 1

Disk 0:1 = 1

Disk 0:1 media = 1

Disk 0:1 connected = 1

Disk 0:1 image = Boot Camp;disk0s1

Disk 0:1 cylinders = 0

Disk 0:1 heads = 0

Disk 0:1 sectors = 0

Disk 1:0 enabled = 0

Disk 1:0 = 0

Disk 1:1 enabled = 0

Disk 1:1 = 0

Can anybody help me? I`ve no idea what else can I try...

UPD, after several ours: I have some success with chain0, never the less the same problem in parallels! Amazing...

I made an interesting discovery based off some comments in here.

disk0:
*#1 - 10GB FAT32 - Windows XP
#2 - 46GB FAT32

disk1:
*#1 - 56GB HFS+ MacOSX

Problem: If I partitioned disk0 as GPT, I couldn't dual boot but parallels would boot. If I partitioned disk0 as MBR, I can dual boot (chain0) and run windows XP natively but Parallels says Boot Camp isn't installed. 

Solution (partial):
- Insert old, unused 256MB USB flash memory stick into machine while running OS X.
- Using disk utility, repartition USB disk with a GPT partition table
- Start parallels with repartitioned USB stick installed
- Use super grub floppy disk image in parallels to boot windows
- Start VM... presto!

Could someone please summarize all known methods to make Parallels run custom partitions?

The best would be to say would is possible and what is not, i.e. what is required to get it to run (e.g. I am using a MBP, others are using a Hackintosh and so on).

ok, i think ive got it figured out. i think all i have to do is set my windows disk partition to bootable. anyone know how to do this? ive tried to use acronis disk director and had no luck. also tried different things in my osx. it would be great if someone could tell me how to do it. thanx

I followed the steps indicated by Sherry Haibara and I'm able to start my (pre Mac OS X) windows instalation. The problem is that it want's to register again over the net and it obviously can't because the emulated hardware is different than the real one.

Does anyone with this issue managed to solve it?

anyone know how to do this while using a boot loader such as acronis os selector? im using acronis because for some reason my laptop wouldnt ever boot darwin. it would always boot to windows? any ideas?

with macDrive search on the drive file com.apple.boot.plist, insert :>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

For those of you who want to boot your winows partitions in both Parallels and natively:

Note: I don't mean to be a prick but my instructions are deliberately vague. The things I'm recommending are really basic and if you don't know how to do them, you really have no business messing around with this stuff. I think brain surgery is really cool, but I'm not trying to cut my friend's head open with a dremel and a melon-baller... I think I'll just leave that to the doctors.

Make sure you do the following things:

1) Before installing parallels tools or attempting to boot Windows in Parallels: While booted natively into Windows XP, create a new hardware profile. Call your current one "Native Boot" or something self-explanatory. Call your second hardware profile "Parallels boot".

2) Boot into OSX, I recommend creating a new virtual HD of about 4GB and create a vanilla install of XP on it. This will help you correct anything you mess up on your native partition. Make the virtual disk device 0:0

3) Make your CDROM device 0:1

4) Make your boot camp partition 1:1, I wouln't recommend adding the ";diskXsY" unless the default boot-camp doesn't work.

5) Boot into the OS install on your virtual HD, install Acronis on the virtual HDD

6) Configure the Acronis boot loader to default to your boot-camp drive

7) On your next restart of Parallels, it should go right into your boot-camp drive and start up. You may have to mess with drive letters a little bit to get it exactly like your native boot environment. WARNING: MAKE SURE YOU SELECT YOUR "PARALLELS BOOT" HARDWARE PROFILE ON STARTUP!!!

8) Allow all the hardware detection stuff to happen again, Install the Parallels tool

9) You should be good to go

P.S. - If you are having activation issues, try installing XP with a Corp image and key :)

I've managed to get Parallels under Hackintosh to boot the XP install on my other partition, but because it detects that the hardware is significantly different, it thinks I'm installing it on a new computer. Now I'm unable to log in to XP cuz I've ran out of validations.

Anyone know how I can get around this without the suggested XP Corp image new install?

Hey XVI

I have run out validation too, but as I have a valid licence, I just called MS at the provided phone number and explained I was using virtualisation (and since the VM software was beta, I had lot of issue).

They gave me an activation code.

Phone number work 24/7.

Hey Justin,

So you just told them you were running XP under virtualisation? Did you tell them under what OS, or if you were using the same hardware/computer as before? I'm just worried about how meticulous they get with these sorta questions and details and that they might end up not giving me a code if I give them the wrong answers. hehe

Hey XVI

I have run out validation too, but as I have a valid licence, I just called MS at the provided phone number and explained I was using virtualisation (and since the VM software was beta, I had lot of issue).

They gave me an activation code.

Phone number work 24/7.